• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Durante

I'm referring to the mission you take as soon as your uniformed up. Chapter 2 I think?
Ah. Well the "Battle at Kloden Wildwood" mission in Chapter 5 is where the game really starts IMHO, and it also does a good job teaching you new mechanics and strategies, and rewarding you for using them well.

So sandbags are the only things I can 'crouch' behind, right? I've made a mistake several times running out to an object I thought I could use as cover, but then not being able to and getting shot the hell down afterwards.
No, there are also trenches later on. And you can get an effect similar to crouching in tall grass.

Did the first story mission with a full squad. I think I get why this game is so critically lauded. The way that map set up to teach you how elevated area can give you scouts huge vision around the map was very satisfying. Or how you can use one unit to keep the enemies distracted whole you use other units to flank them. Or how you can use the tank as a moving cover for your units. Everything just clicks. Really satisfying mission and great introduction to the meat of the game. Unless the game throws curve balls that don't sit with me well, of course.

The game does have a few curveballs;
Chapter 7
is the first really big one and the first one where people feel really pressed. The later game will also curveball a bit. TLDR: it's not just all taking camps.

My only issue is that I don't see any immediate benefit from picking between specific units. I got like 20 of then but I just randomly took some from the 5 classes and nothing significantly changes. Maybe it becomes more important later in the game?

The characters get differentiated later on in potentials, both personal and class-based through levels. Some of their stats can also be different, although the swing here isn't as pronounced, especially early on.

In early levels, everyone will feel rather samey. It's the late-game where you begin to notice significant differences (and people like Alicia, Vyse and Marina really start to take off).

So sandbags are the only things I can 'crouch' behind, right? I've made a mistake several times running out to an object I thought I could use as cover, but then not being able to and getting shot the hell down afterwards.

It is worth noting that even if an object can't be "crouched" behind, it can still provide cover; the crates in Chapter 3 with the first true squad mission are a great example of this. Most any terrain can provide cover or block LoS, even if it lacks an action.

(I do sort of wish they'd been a little more generous in providing "crouch hooks" for certain objects, though; it would also have been nice to see some kind of mechanic for cover-firing from behind a corner.)

AkuMifune

Banned
Was only able to play a few hours, but really in love. Would have liked a few other display options (in-game brightness seems high) otherwise a great port too.

Sega, I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

peakish

I'll echo that the multiple move system feels a bit weird. I mean it's very fun, but so far (up to chapter 7) there's been no reason for me to use more than a handful of the squad in each mission. Especially since scouts leave the rest behind at once, making it a pain to catch up with even a few stormtroopers (not to mention the tank).

So out of all of them, Edy is the only one who I could possibly see having a big initial problem with Isara and Welkin at the start. What I'm trying to say is, Chapter 4 comes across as a little goofy because it's more like it's just a problem with your NCOs being insubordinate, despite being presented as "the squad" as a whole having a problem with the Gunthers. It's not killer, but it is one of those little plot quibbles I always had (and, for all the heat VC2 gets, the individual soldier stories do feel like they flesh this out a bit and avoid this sort of situation).
Welkins happy go lucky attitude towards racism was a bit goofy in general, there. Oh hey, these guys are just harrassing my sister, the silly willies. Didn't even think to include a no racism clause in his bet, the jerk.

Durante

The characters get differentiated later on in potentials, both personal and class-based through levels. Some of their stats can also be different, although the swing here isn't as pronounced, especially early on.

In early levels, everyone will feel rather samey. It's the late-game where you begin to notice significant differences (and people like Alicia, Vyse and Marina really start to take off).
Yeah, some potentials make a huge difference.

Also, later on you can further differentiate your characters by differences in equipment.

It's not killer, but it is one of those little plot quibbles I always had (and, for all the heat VC2 gets, the individual soldier stories do feel like they flesh this out a bit and avoid this sort of situation).

Well, VC2 & 3 are the ones that really push the individualism of the respective characters in your squad more. VC1 had a lot of likable characters, but the gap between the core cast (Rosie and co.) and the killable ones are significant.

While the gap exist for VC2/3 as well (Gusurg's not going to be less significant than Alfons), but they do feel like a more notable and individualistic presence in your group, and the side-stories go a long way in establishing their enduring presence in your squad, even if you don't use them much.

cpooi

I finished Behind her Blue Flame and died quite a bit. Man, I feel rusty.
Wish we had a mission where we actually got to use the Valkyria form though (either Selvaria or Alica)

Edit:
Checked the wiki, looks like there is one. Got to go get my A ranks!

Sandbags and trenches, to my recollection.

Seanspeed

Banned
No, there are also trenches later on. And you can get an effect similar to crouching in tall grass.

It is worth noting that even if an object can't be "crouched" behind, it can still provide cover; the crates in Chapter 3 with the first true squad mission are a great example of this. Most any terrain can provide cover or block LoS, even if it lacks an action.

(I do sort of wish they'd been a little more generous in providing "crouch hooks" for certain objects, though; it would also have been nice to see some kind of mechanic for cover-firing from behind a corner.)
How do I know when I'm 'covered' basically? Those lines seem to give some indication but I'm not sure how to read them since I still see them when I'm behind a tank or other cover sometimes.

Also, what's the best way to deal with an enemy in the grass? I can run up close and toss a grenade, but I always seem to get shot up badly when I try and run up to use grenades(just in general).

Durante

So there's a clear level of effectiveness between units?
Most of the skills/potentials are situational, but a few characters are just better overall yeah. Not to an extent that makes a massive difference, but noticeably.

Also, what's the best way to deal with an enemy in the grass? I can run up close and toss a grenade, but I always seem to get shot up badly when I try and run up to use grenades(just in general).
Flamethrowers :p

Early on, the safest method is the tank, and the other option is running up from behind (or the front with a shocktrooper) and tossing a grenade.

wmlk

One thing that I always wish that the game had was a dedicated button for vaulting over sandbags.

You have to align yourself orthogonal to the sandbags to get the 'X' prompt to get to the other side. Could and should have been made easier.

I played Behind her Blue Flame and died quite a bit. Man, I feel rusty.
Wish we had a mission where we actually got to use the Valkyria form though (either Selvaria or Alica)

Hope we get the sequels then.
There's a playable Valkyria in VC3.

(Though like the thread discussed and I touched on with Twitter, not VC2/3 on PC; really doing those to VC1 quality would basically involve making new games, so if anything, Sega may as well make a new game.)

I actually don't think it would be quite -that- much work to bring VC2/3 up to a respectable level; the assets for the games are actually in pretty good shape as-is, with much of the signature look of VC1 the result of the engine itself. A straight port of the maps into the VC1 engine should look pretty spectacular. You could get around the need to port the multimap system by literally just remaking the maps as one large map broken up into three sections, and facilitate moving between maps by changing the limits on reinforcement movement. Sounds to me like a much shorter order than designing and balancing a new game from scratch.

Grief.exe

I actually had today and yesterday off. I ended up playing Isaac all day yesterday since I am hopelessly addicted once again, but I'm going to get started on Valkyria right now!

After one quick game of Isaac

Seanspeed

Banned
Flamethrowers :p

Early on, the safest method is the tank, and the other option is running up from behind (or the front with a shocktrooper) and tossing a grenade.
Ok, noted, thanks.

If you're not standing, your in cover.
But I'm also covered if I'm behind a wall or standing behind a tank or something. Which sometimes, but also sometimes doesn't get rid of the lines coming from me towards the enemies.

Somebody said there were boxes and other things that I can use as cover, but my problem is that I don't want to run out in the field towards something I think I can use as cover only to find out I cant and then don't have the AP left to get out of there.

basically there is a fwe units that just stand head and shoulders above the rest (Alicia, Marina) and a few that are just garbage (Susie if you get her hidden potential, Dorothy) but most characters sit firmly in the middle

That's disappointing. Arbitrarily making dud units in games like these always bugs me.

That's disappointing. Arbitrarily making dud units in games like these always bugs me.
susie's story turns her into a dud, it works but makes you immediately stop using her. Not sure why dorothy is just crap

Susie can actually be good, if you avoid unlocking her hidden potential
Her hidden potential is Humanitarian, which will literally just make her not attack on the turn you use her. You just waste your command point

Shinjica

I finished Behind her Blue Flame and died quite a bit. Man, I feel rusty.

Edit:
Checked the wiki, looks like there is one. Got to go get my A ranks!

How you unlock that one?

TaroYamada

I honestly think straight vc 2/3 ports are fine and should happen. Handheld games are fine with me on PC, surely increase the visual quality a bit and improve where feasible but I don't expect major redesigns.

One of the things that made me love PC gaming was the wide variety of games that can co-exist and do well on the platform.

cpooi

How you unlock that one?

Apparently, there are 4 missions in behind her blue flame. An alternate 2nd mission occurs if you destroy Damon's tank in the first one. Then, if you get A for all 3 mission, the 4 one unlocks, and that is the one where you get OP Selvaria.

Knurek

@spacedrake not sure if you saw but I confirmed sega was very happy with sales of this port.

Can you ask them how happy they will be with Vanquish Steam sales?
//EDIT:
Finally found this thing, can't believe it has come true...
i3aIxylvbPxHE.jpg

Hey, Sega, how about this one now?
ibrybYsKPsiCer.jpg

Somebody said there were boxes and other things that I can use as cover, but my problem is that I don't want to run out in the field towards something I think I can use as cover only to find out I cant and then don't have the AP left to get out of there.

Basically, if you can't see through it, it will stop bullets. What I meant by the crates is that, even though you can't kneel near them, they will still provide some level of cover against enemy fire because they will block bullets, even for a standing character being shot at.

I actually don't think it would be quite -that- much work to bring VC2/3 up to a respectable level; the assets for the games are actually in pretty good shape as-is, with much of the signature look of VC1 the result of the engine itself. A straight port of the maps into the VC1 engine should look pretty spectacular. You could get around the need to port the multimap system by literally just remaking the maps as one large map broken up into three sections, and facilitate moving between maps by changing the limits on reinforcement movement. Sounds to me like a much shorter order than designing and balancing a new game from scratch.

You are, I think, somewhat overestimating the quality of the PSP assets - scaled up to proper widescreen resolutions, the lower poly count and the texture quality will become readily apparent as problems (and despite the recent question about an even higher-def texture pack, VC1's textures are quite good). Never mind the interface elements, which are the real killer - all the interface elements for both games are designed with the PSP's 480x272 screen in mind. They will look like ass at 1080p and will need to be redrawn entirely.

The cutscenes are also a huge problem - either all the cutscenes need to be redone VC1 style with new, higher-def models that can take the scrutiny (meaning, they'll also need to be animated in addition to the texture and model work and that gets really expensive), or the interface problems from above apply and everything needs to be redrawn so the static elements don't look bad at 1080p.

I'll grant it wouldn't be exactly as much work as creating a whole new game from scratch - for VC2, if nothing else you have the voice and script assets done, so that's SOMETHING - but there's still a ton of work involved for more than just a small programming team. You would basically need to reassemble the art team to redo the game, and guaranteeing a profit off of that is going to require a guarantee of big sales... which is why I mention Christmas and breaking several hundred thousand units. If VC1 PC does that, we start talking about the amounts of money that would justify that kind of effort.

(BTW, continued napkin math tells me that the VC1 PC port must be profitable already. The staff was likely pretty small and involved little asset work, mostly "just" software engineering, so the budget can't have been very big - and if VC1PC is around 50k sold so far, that budget has been made back and then some. Those continued sales are currently going straight into Sega's bottom line.)

@spacedrake not sure if you saw but I confirmed sega was very happy with sales of this port.

I certainly did, and I have no doubt they are. "Happy about the port's performance" is one thing, though; "port selling enough to justify further, far more labor-intensive ports" is another matter, sadly.

The cutscenes are also a huge problem - either all the cutscenes need to be redone VC1 style with new, higher-def models that can take the scrutiny (meaning, they'll also need to be animated in addition to the texture and model work and that gets really expensive), or the interface problems from above apply and everything needs to be redrawn so the static elements don't look bad at 1080p.

Given that the cutscenes are just anime pictures with minor animations/effects, shouldn't they have those things at high quality assets? The interface is definitely an issue though.

Of course, I'm talking more of retaining the existing anime key-art style cutscene, as opposed to the VC1 style game model cutscene.

Falk

that puzzling face
Birth By Sleep scaled up with minimal fuss due to its artstyle. Sure it doesn't 'look as good' as KH2FM but people aren't complaining.

Granted, there was quite a bit of touch-up work, and BBS was an excellent game in general. :p

Given that the cutscenes are just anime pictures with minor animations/effects, shouldn't they have those things at high quality assets? The interface is definitely an issue though.

Of course, I'm talking more of retaining the existing anime key-art style cutscene, as opposed to the VC1 style game model cutscene.

Indeed; we've even seen evidence of it publicly. (Riela herself appears upscaled a bit in this image, but there is certainly far more definition than what you get on PSP despite that. I suspect the image's ridiculous size is to show off the background, which doesn't appear to have been upscaled.)

That may be the literal six-million-dollar question. If they HAVE retained the original key art (which I'm guessing was then scanned into the game), it might not be as much work to produce HD-quality versions. You would be surprised, however, at just how bad companies on either side of the Pacific can be about this sort of asset retention.

Mind that I'm not trying to be a party-pooper or anything; I'm as thrilled about how VC1 is doing as anyone. I'm just trying to keep expectations somewhat realistic since I have some actual perspective on game development and what would be involved in redeveloping assets for an HD version of a game from a lower-def version. It's harder than you might think.
emot-v.gif

See, this is rather more encouraging. If they have assets like this already extant and lying around for every major still and cutscene element, the cost of producing an HD version of VC3 begins to look a little more reasonable.

That may be the literal six-million-dollar question. If they HAVE retained the original key art (which I'm guessing was then scanned into the game), it might not be as much work to produce HD-quality versions. You would be surprised, however, at just how bad companies on either side of the Pacific can be about this sort of asset retention.

Mind that I'm not trying to be a party-pooper or anything; I'm as thrilled about how VC1 is doing as anyone. I'm just trying to keep expectations somewhat realistic since I have some actual perspective on game development and what would be involved in redeveloping assets for an HD version of a game from a lower-def version. It's harder than you might think.
emot-v.gif

No one is doubting your experience but I think you are pointing out things that are not serious obstacles for a multi-million company like Sega. Even if the original assets were lost, they certainly still exist in a form good enough to build a 1080p presentation from (otherwise, the artbook localization wouldn't exist at the level of quality it does). UI elements seems like a small job in comparison, especially considering they could reuse much of VC1's UI assets if they really wanted to save a penny. Character models shouldn't be a huge issue beyond the main characters either; when you consider the character count of these games it's hard to imagine there are many characters beyond the mains that have completely unique models, and these can again use the generic models used in VC1.

dani_dc

Can you ask them how happy they will be with Vanquish Steam sales?
//EDIT:
Finally found this thing, can't believe it has come true...
i3aIxylvbPxHE.jpg

If you had asked me honestly, I would say this would never actually happen.
The image even got the year right.

yatesl

First time to HQ I did everything, went to book mode, and it just kicked me to desktop - no error messages, no nothin'. I was a bit annoyed, as I had some guys in there that had perks like "Imp Hater", which I think is a universal buff against all bad guys?

Went back in, and Vyse was waiting for me.

I forgive you, Sega.

Levyne

Banned
Somebody have a GeDoSaTo profile for this they can paste here?

Still not familiar with how it works. :)

Just set the resolution you want in the generic plugin. I am not at my computer to remember exactly but it's gedosato_config or config_user. It's the very first setting. You create a user file to persist across gedosato updates.

Then select that resolution in game. You should see at the the gedosato overlay telling you what you're rendering to and from.

Edit: Like the person a couple above me said, many resolutions like 4k are already in by default. So just activate gedosato without anything else and you're good to go. Though you may need to write in the .exe (I believe "Valkyria") in the whitelist.

Skilletor

Just set the resolution you want in the generic plugin. I am not at my computer to remember exactly but it's gedosato_config or config_user. It's the very first setting. You create a user file to persist across gedosato updates.

Then select that resolution in game. You should see at the the gedosato overlay telling you what you're rendering to and from.

Oh nice. Thanks :)

TaroYamada

I don't even remember chapter 7 -.- also I think vc3 looks fine on pc under ppsspp. The ui elements would need some touch ups though.

Top Bottom