• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

I got to my first skirmish and my units seem to be moving at a snails pace with their guns raised? Is this normal? The earlier missions did not have this. Did I hit a button to walk by accident?

Begaria

I double dipped on the PC version through GMG. I bought VC1 full price when I got my PS3 back in Feb '09 and it was my first PS3 game that I played and completed. I was planning on checking out the PC version immediately upon release, but just having come off completing VC3 through PPSSPP and the fan translation, I felt I needed a break from VC. It does warm my heart to know that this is a really good port and that the new comers are having a blast with it.

Sega, you may be dropping the ball on Sonic right now, but you've got a chance to score a bunch of PC gamers through Steam and porting more off the wall games.

Crub

After using one sniper a certain amount of times in one turn i can no longer shoot with it, even though the ammo is infinite. Anyone know why?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
After using one sniper a certain amount of times in one turn i can no longer shoot with it, even though the ammo is infinite. Anyone know why?

Sniper ammo, as well as rocket launcher ammo, is not infinite.

You start with 3 shots, and get one refilled per turn (or all per turn if an engineer comes close enough, or every new turn if you are in a gallia-controlled outpost)

Ultimadrago

Not only is Shocktropper my favorite class, but the all gold looks much better than the pale/baby blue flower (though the lineart still leaves room to be desired). I'll take it!

foilvcbadge6bs6w.jpg

Also first game where I've crafted both Level 5 and Foil Badge. I blame the game for making me like it to such a degree.

First time to HQ I did everything, went to book mode, and it just kicked me to desktop - no error messages, no nothin'. I was a bit annoyed, as I had some guys in there that had perks like "Imp Hater", which I think is a universal buff against all bad guys?

Went back in, and Vyse was waiting for me.

I forgive you, Sega.

If you're having trouble with a crash in that section, go into Windowed mode or disable the Steam overlay. Some people are having trouble there, but not everyone; I imagine it's causing the Little Stone guys to tear their hair out at this point, along with some of these lingering audio mixing issues.

No one is doubting your experience but I think you are pointing out things that are not serious obstacles for a multi-million company like Sega. Even if the original assets were lost, they certainly still exist in a form good enough to build a 1080p presentation from (otherwise, the artbook localization wouldn't exist at the level of quality it does). [...]

Ah, but that's the pickle, in a way. Can Sega do it? Certainly, no question, they have the resources, including the guys at Little Stone for software engineering. Can they do it on a budget that would be guaranteed to see a return on investment, so that their stockholders don't get angry that the company is simply losing money on something? That is a far bigger rub, especially since the budget for VC3 especially would have to be higher than the VC1 port - art assets plus coding plus localization and voicework is going to add up super quick.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Just lost about an hour of progress due to a crash. Happened right after I finished recruiting my squad, when I selected Field Training. The second I pressed A it went to desktop.

Vashzaron

I finished Behind her Blue Flame and died quite a bit. Man, I feel rusty.
Wish we had a mission where we actually got to use the Valkyria form though (either Selvaria or Alica)

Edit:
Checked the wiki, looks like there is one. Got to go get my A ranks!

Reminds me, I'd love to see a Mod / Memory edit that would let you
use a controllable Valkyria Alicia and/or Selvaria in any mission just for laughs. Or even mod up a whole Valkyria Alicia squad vs a whole Valkyria Selvaria squad. Lol.

Meanwhile! Looks like Sega's given a brief statement about yesterday.

TLDR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXtj_SdJMzM

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/six-year-old-rpg-valkyria-chronicles-tops-steam-sellers-list/0141295

Six year old RPG Valkyria Chronicles tops Steam sellers list

Sega’s PC version of PS3 RPG Valkyria Chronicles has ‘blown all predictions out of the water’, the publisher has claimed.

The game release on Steam yesterday and was at one stage apparently the most downloaded game on the platform. Currently it sits in third place behind fellow Sega title Football Manager 2015 and Activision’s Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

“During its first 24 hours on sale, blew all forecasts and predictions out of the water. The award-winning Strategy RPG, originally released in 2008 for PlayStation 3, forced its way to the top of the Steam download charts, beating a host of brand new games to reach number one,” Sega said.

Ceedee

Neo Member
Just got it on steam, and it's my first time playing it. What great artwork! I love the music and was taken aback from the beginning sequences. I was surprised that stuff like that would go down lol. I missed out during the PS3 era, and looking forward to beating this on the PC. wooh wooh!

Ah, but that's the pickle, in a way. Can Sega do it? Certainly, no question, they have the resources, including the guys at Little Stone for software engineering. Can they do it on a budget that would be guaranteed to see a return on investment, so that their stockholders don't get angry that the company is simply losing money on something? That is a far bigger rub, especially since the budget for VC3 especially would have to be higher than the VC1 port - art assets plus coding plus localization and voicework is going to add up super quick.

I like to think any work up-porting VC2 and VC3 will be at a bargain considering the two games share so much, but if I were in Sega's shoes I would certainly be trying to do something to make the best of the forward momentum this release has (apparently unexpectedly) built.

Come on, come on, now announce future planes with the franchise!

Whoa now, that sounds like it would be crazy hard to balance into the game. Let's just stick to tanks.

TaroYamada

Glad they released an official statement on sales figures. I imagine after this they will have some leeway for some more ports!

Mohasus

I'm not a fan of the TM symbol that's been popping up on game titles on steam.... That's maybe a tad anal of me I guess.

I'm not a fan of non-capitalized japanese games. I want all my friends to see that I'm playing VALKYRIA CHRONICLES, not Valkyria Chronicles™.

I got to my first skirmish and my units seem to be moving at a snails pace with their guns raised? Is this normal? The earlier missions did not have this. Did I hit a button to walk by accident?

Responding to myself, it is not doing this any more (not sure why it did in the first place).

BTW, does the game have any difficulty settings? Or is it just the skirmishes that have "easy" and normal.

If you deploy less units, do you get more XP? Or is it always advantageous to have as many units as the mission allows.

If you deploy less units, do you get more XP? Or is it always advantageous to have as many units as the mission allows.

Exp earned is based on mission rank (and possibly number of Aces killed, but never to the point of it being worth taking an extra turn to do so). Still, in late game I tended to deploy only the units that provide extra CP (Alicia, Rosie, Largo) and either no one else or just the handful of units I felt I would need immediately. It's much better to take some bases first and deploy reinforcements from there rather than waste CP moving a standing army from the start point.

Exp earned is based on mission rank (and possibly number of Aces killed, but never to the point of it being worth taking an extra turn to do so). Still, in late game I tended to deploy only the units that provide extra CP (Alicia, Rosie, Largo) and either no one else or just the handful of units I felt I would need immediately. It's much better to take some bases first and deploy reinforcements from there rather than waste CP moving a standing army from the start point.
Thanks for the reply!
The Aces in your army give you extra CP, correct? Like Alicia as you mention.

So far I am loving the storm troopers and the scouts. In most RTS games I play infantry heavy though :O

I like to think any work up-porting VC2 and VC3 will be at a bargain considering the two games share so much, but if I were in Sega's shoes I would certainly be trying to do something to make the best of the forward momentum this release has (apparently unexpectedly) built.

Regardless of the success of this port, that's really the million dollar question.

Do we :
a. invest the significant money and effort needed to revive this franchise in earnest
b. invest just enough to profit from a simple port job of VC2/3

Because frankly, anything less than a port that brings VC2/VC3 up-to-the-standards of VC1, won't really do anything for the franchise, imo.

It'll appeal to the same audience that bought VC1, but as the sequels themselves are fundamentally hampered by its PSP-design choices and... a more 'anime-ish' impression due to its use of the key-arts instead of 3D models, it's hard to imagine that a 'straight port' of VC2 and VC3 will improve whatever momentum VC1 has built.

The 'straight PSP-port' option will presumably be cheaper (but still more expensive than the VC1 port), but that would hardly be an investment into the momentum of the franchise. For SEGA to really capitalise on the momentum, they need to 'wow' with their next release, and for that to happen, VC2/3 needs to really match VC1's quality.

ok, people still struggling with chapter 7...Ill make sure to record a video. I beat it pretty easily back on PS3 and I can show what makes it far easier than it seems

Mohasus

About chapter 5:

Am I supposed to destroy Jaeger's tank? I just rushed a scout (Aika) from the high-ground and captured the enemy base. If I knew this before I wouldn't have wasted a turn trying to make Alicia flank the guys from the north.

TaroYamada

Responding to myself, it is not doing this any more (not sure why it did in the first place).

BTW, does the game have any difficulty settings? Or is it just the skirmishes that have "easy" and normal.

I forget precisely but I think NG+ opens up a new difficulty.

Bombless

About chapter 5:

Am I supposed to destroy Jaeger's tank? I just rushed a scout (Aika) from the high-ground and captured the enemy base. If I knew this before I wouldn't have wasted a turn trying to make Alicia flank the guys from the north.

No,
you can't blow it up. Once it's taken about half damage the enemy leaves and you just have to cap the flag.

Durante

Thanks for the reply!
The Aces in your army give you extra CP, correct? Like Alicia as you mention.
Aces in both armies work the same actually. Each gives one CP, and both you and the enemy lose that CP when one is killed.

So far I am loving the storm troopers and the scouts. In most RTS games I play infantry heavy though :O
I've noticed this in a few posts, so I'll just put it out there: they are shocktroopers, not stormtroopers. Wrong franchise :p

KiraFA37

Much deserved. Valkyria Chronicles is a very unique, polished game and nothing has come quite like it since it was released years ago. Even without any serious marketing they we're able to blow past their expectations. I hope they release some numbers so we can compare the numbers of both platforms it released on.

I am now remembering all those jokes about Company of Valkyria.

Stop, just stop. If SEGA would announce something like that my heart would explode from excitement, but only if it is the original CoH team is working on it and not those that gave us CoH2.

Durante

You shouldn't play that DLC before finishing the game once anyway :p
(This of course immaterial if you finished it on PS3, but important for all the newcomers)

Rigel6

Neo Member
Does anyone have any tips for first time players? Hoping to get some time to play this at the weekend, wanted to play it for years.

Happy to see more people playing this.

I have to wonder what their expectations were.

Perhaps they'll give us numbers if it does well enough.

Top Bottom