• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Durante

Does anyone have any tips for first time players? Hoping to get some time to play this at the weekend, wanted to play it for years.
My most important advice would be not to read any guides before your first playthrough, just play the game at your own pace.

Durante

In the TPS part, mouse controls seem perfect to me. In the map view, they seem to be mapped (harhar) to the same system handling joystick inputs, so they are slightly wonky.

Grief.exe

Have AF and Vsync forced through Inspector, using Gedosato SMAA right now.

In the TPS part, mouse controls seem perfect to me. In the map view, they seem to be mapped (harhar) to the same system handling joystick inputs, so they are slightly wonky.

In the map? Or when aiming/camera? In the map I think it just sort of pulls you towards icons. I didn't notice any acceleration though.

Just in the menus so far.

TaroYamada

There's actually some validity to that, they did the same for binary domain. You can tell because at the part where you look at the tablet in Dan's hands on console, if you move the analog and hold it he will look off to the sides of the tab, on PC he will look off to the sides and then reset as though you'd let the analog reset to the middle.

Chariot

I just tried the infamous chapter 7.
At first I was like "eh, ok, looked pretty threatening, but that's not that difficult to handle." And then Selvaria arrived and wrecked my troops. Her Lancers and the canon of the giant tank then destroyed the Edelweiss. :(

Does anyone have any tips for first time players? Hoping to get some time to play this at the weekend, wanted to play it for years.
The scoots are the most overpowered class. If you want to beat the game easily, just use them.

I'll be building a gaming PC later down the future(like in a year), but what's the possibility this will come out for the mac? :(

Durante

What AA solution are you using Durante?
Downsampling from 4480x2520 with bicubic scaling.

I'm thinking about creating a specific plugin for this game to fix the smaa issue, but it seems like overkill if I could rather use those 3 or so hours to actually play it.

I unlocked the Ruhm, but I think using it in the early parts of the campaign may be overkill.

The Ruhm makes most of the game comically easy. I wouldn't even use it if you want the game to be challenging.

Happy to see more people playing this.

I have to wonder what their expectations were.

Perhaps they'll give us numbers if it does well enough.

Furthering my Napkin Math Contributions™, I would suspect that forecasts called for 25-30,000 full price unit sales within the fiscal year, with maybe an additional 10-15k during the holiday sale. That would've been enough to finance the port and bring in a little bit of additional profit.

Instead, counting preorders, they seem to have roughly doubled that first figure inside of a week, and now, especially factoring in potential Christmas seasonal sale participation, we're seriously looking at the possibility of Valkyria Chronicles PC selling six-figure unit sales and pulling in somewhere around, or north of, two million dollars in pre-tax, pre-split sales revenue by January 1st, 2015. Who the hell even knows what sales by the end of the fiscal (March 31, 2015 for most companies) will look like, especially if VC squeezes a daily or weekly deal in post-Christmas.

So yeah, I have no doubt this is torching expectations. I myself thought it would do okay, and I would've said 20k in the first week was doable, but completely toppling AC: Unity, even with the troubles that game has, and at least holding out against CoD and Football Manager (which, as discussed, is enormous on Steam) is more than even I would've expected.

At first I was like "eh, ok, looked pretty threatening, but that's not that difficult to handle." And then Selvaria arrived and wrecked my troops. Her Lancers and the canon of the giant tank then destroyed the Edelweiss. :(

See what I mean lol?

wmlk

Has anybody tried this with the 2013 Haswell Macbook Air?

I'm thinking of double-dipping and I know it performs well, but not sure if it's good enough for a HD 5000 GPU running in Bootcamp.

I've already beaten the game and gotten all A ranks on the PS3, I'm mostly just playing around here. I might enjoy using an overpowered weapon this early on.

Oh, well in that case just stick it on Vyse or Rosie and go to town. Hope you enjoy ridiculous nonsense like watching Vyse
near-solo the Batomys

I'm having a little trouble getting GeDoSaTo to downsample for me.

I created an user profile and typed in the rez I wanted to run (renderResolution 3600x1800@60) and saved. I ran the VC config program and set it 1920x1080@60 and when in game I brought up the OSD it said no downsampling and generic plugin.

I know it's something I'm not understanding, but can somebody point me in the right direction.

I'm having a little trouble getting GeDoSaTo to downsample for me.

I created an user profile and typed in the rez I wanted to run (renderResolution 3600x1800@60) and saved. I ran the VC config program and set it 1920x1080@60 and when in game I brought up the OSD it said no downsampling and generic plugin.

I know it's something I'm not understanding, but can somebody point me in the right direction.
You select the resoultion in the game options too. So in the VC launcher, select the same resoultion you set in GeDoSaTo.

baterism

Oh, weew, finaly beat that bastard
butomy tank or something
, after several try. Haven't felt like this for a long time. Feels good.

Vashzaron

Played the game for many hours yesterday, no bugs. Then today the first mission I do...

6CB39B29C9C70B799FDD0F86C040319737C0807A
40DDD13DED55447688B41526C62CE8F064E6E88E
17F44E43468E07EBE061F1A0472894F7621BFFE3
465CDD0BFD6DB4E1A6E6523D14440E04668E1D60
E08126F45E8CA41BC0344CF62C9364DFBC3D2856

That happened after the first step I took. Seemingly kept falling indefinitely, fell so far in that moving the map moved his icon.
I found it amusing this happened with the guy with Sonic's VA.

Hylian7

Yup, that tank is not what you should be worried about dying to.

Grief.exe

Downsampling from 4480x2520 with bicubic scaling.

I'm thinking about creating a specific plugin for this game to fix the smaa issue, but it seems like overkill if I could rather use those 3 or so hours to actually play it.

Okay, I opted for some MSAA forced through Nvidia Inspector on top of downsampling from 4K. You will probably tell me that is redundant at best ;)

Rad-

Gah, I don't like how the game pushes you to rush missions. I'm always the type that likes to take things slow and kill everything.

Still liking the game. Would be even better if there were more classes and they were better balanced (scouts feel too good so far because of the above. their movement is just ace).

Ultimadrago

Played the game for many hours yesterday, no bugs. Then today the first mission I do...

That happened after the first step I took. Seemingly kept falling indefinitely, fell so far in that moving the map moved his icon.
I found it amusing this happened with the guy with Sonic's VA.

:lol Oh god.

Almighty

Well I decided to avoid doing the scout rush this time around and so far i am finding the game a lot of fun. My rankings are getting killed, but that's nothing a few skirmish missions won't fix. Also I am glad this game is selling well. Hopefully it will continue to sell well enough for them to make a new game in the series.

Oh, well in that case just stick it on Vyse or Rosie and go to town. Hope you enjoy ridiculous nonsense like watching Vyse
near-solo the Batomys

I actually stuck the Ruhm onto the loli shocktrooper when I started messing around with it, because she has a potential for perfect aim; in her hands the Ruhm is basically a rapid fire sniper rifle.

Falk

that puzzling face
To revisit the discussion earlier about broken chieves and going to the command center to 'reclaim' them:

Been trying to get Crimson Heart (save wounded soldier either by medic or ending mission). I knew I actually did it in a skirmish and then subsequently Ch5, then read about the Command Center thing later on (after Ch6 or so) and went to Command Center - nothing happened. Just tried again after Ch7 (not surprising you get injured soldiers there...) and it popped.

Either it's not counting stuff from earlier missions and/or skirmishes, or it only seems to check the last mission you did.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yup, that tank is not what you should be worried about dying to.

MOBILE TORPEDO PLATFORM

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
This PC port is the best thing Sega has done since 2008. My hats off to them and I will double dip as soon as I install Windows on my Mac.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I actually found Mission 7 a bit easier then I remember it, but maybe its just because I remembered the tip that you can park your tank at the first base and have your lancers just blow up all the Machine guns. Also had a sniper take out like all the enemy troops the first turn.

Wait, you can unlock guns? I thought you used the beginning guns and you would just get more powerful when you levelled your class. How do I get different types of guns?

Grief.exe

I'm surprised they didn't just render these cut scenes at 1080p initially. There were no storage constraints on Bluray that would prevent that resolution, maybe they wanted parity with the gameplay visuals.

Even if the cut scenes were rendered in 1080p, they would still look objectively worse than the real time gameplay.

Okay, had my first crash. Right after recruiting my squad.

If it recurs, enable windowed mode or disable the Steam overlay. Apparently a lot of people are getting hit with this one and Little Stone hasn't been able to put out a patch for it just yet.

Speaking of, I am a little sad that this is all Little Stone has for a webpage and they have no Twitter/etc. presence: http://www.littlestonesoftware.co.uk/

I want to give these guys some personal props, especially since they've played a big role in making this magic happen. C'mon, dudes, embrace the social media future!

Chariot

I'm surprised they didn't just render these cut scenes at 1080p initially. There were no storage constraints on Bluray that would prevent that resolution, maybe they wanted parity with the gameplay visuals.

Even if the cut scenes were rendered in 1080p, they would still look objectively worse than the real time gameplay.
My cutscene models have nervous edges, it's really disattracting at times. :(

TaroYamada

If it recurs, enable windowed mode or disable the Steam overlay. Apparently a lot of people are getting hit with this one and Little Stone hasn't been able to put out a patch for it just yet.

Also, I am a little sad that this is all Little Stone has for a webpage and they have no Twitter/etc. presence: http://www.littlestonesoftware.co.uk/

I want to give these guys some personal props, especially since they've played a big role in making this magic happen. C'mon, dudes, embrace the social media future!

Some of them are on linkedin.

Top Bottom