• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Marche90

Any new modern PC can run it decently. Which leads to me wonder why this was sub HD on PS3. Were previous gen consoles that weak? wow

Uh, no? If I remember correctly VC used a full 1280x720 framebuffer. The reason why the game had such a low IQ was because the game had no AA whatsoever.

Finalow

I assume that particular skirmish has endlessly respawning enemies, so you would just let them all die to interception fire for 15-18 turns before wrapping the mission up.
I guess.

anyway skirmish 1 on HARD is probably better for farming kills. 4 each turn and really easy to kill them.

Mugen08

Enjoying this game so much again on PC, great improvements as well in terms of graphics and loading times. I know you guys discussed the higher framerate => tank couldn't go uphill-glitch somewhere earlier in the thread. While playing chapter 13 (I think) yesterday I possibly experienced a similar thing, despite the patch. Or do anyone have a different experience of this:
On the Naggiar plains mission vs. Selvaria, after I ran the tanks into the trenches, I could not move them up again in order to fire at Selvaria. Not that it mattered that much for me in order to clear the mission but still.

Goddamn I don't remember Chapter 17 being so rage inducing. I swear no matter what I do, He finds something to fuck me up with. Had him cornered in one spot, Turn 5, ready to pounce on him, had everything lined up Down. To. The. CP.

And then lol60fpsinterception happened. Goddamn, what happened to those visible interception zones that were in pre-release screenshots back in '07?

So I try again, plan out my approach as before... And then he smokes a different camp instead. Well, shit.

Ok, so I replayed Chapter 7 three times before clearing it. Hard but not as brutal as some people have been commenting.

Now, I read that Chapter 9 mission can be done in one turn and I can't for the life get past the first turn without someone dying. I'm using Rosie as the sharpshooter but I don't have any useful orders to throw at her nor I have Demolition Boost, which looks like a late game skill anyway and I'm still on NG.

Any tips on how to destroy the main target without getting my lower rear handed?

I'm loving the game so far but the turn-limit obsession really drags the experience down a bit. Just let me play at my god damn strategic pace, jeez.

Nyoro SF

Chapter 9 has a lenient rank, you don't need to do it in one turn. In fact, I found it easier to wait until
The Federation calls for reinforcements because after that he drives forward, exposing his radiator in such a way that he can't fire interception shots at anyone approaching directly behind him. Then I just kept selecting Rosie and firing over and over again until DED.

Viridian6

Evidently you can do it in one turn by
putting attack and defence boosts on one shocktrooper but what with 60 fps interception fire I couldn't pull it off.

Easy as pie turn two win (rank A) I stole from someone:

Turn 1: Don't touch your tank. Position three shocktroopers right behind (i.e. south of) the crates at the north side of the intersection where the bad guy is heading.

Enemy turn 1: The car will drive right past your troopers. If done right the boxes will block his view and he won't open fire.

Turn 2: Light his ass up.

Viridian6

Chapter 11 spoilers:

I knew that Isara wasn't going to survive the game, but I sure didn't see that coming. I guess the writers wanted to show that people die suddenly without meaning in war, but I wish they'd come up with something more substantial than random enemies showing up after we cleared the damn map.

Anyway, that song. So many feels.

It's been long enough. Where's our VC2/VC3/VCetc. Steam announcements SEGA

Knowing Sega's trends when it comes to PC port releases years after their console versions, I think they'll be announced about a week before they're released at earliest unless there's another leak.

MRSA

Banned
My 2011 MBP can't handle this on 720p :( had to bump it down to 600p. Runs at a steady 30 fps now. This is on an Intel HD3000.

Honestly, I think it would not make sense for VC2 or 3 to not see PC release unless Sega really IS allergic to money - Assuming that VC PC was as much of a success as we've been led to believe.

Besides, there was a little line in a Sega blog post about the release that was ever so slightly teasing more PC ports - Whether it was referring to the sequels or other Sega console games I do not know, but I don't consider it reaching to guess that more is coming.

I'm not sure whether I want 2&3 if they are just straight ports of the psp games.

Now it would be a different thing entirely if they were remade with the scope of the original game, but I don't see that happening sadly.

Inumbris

Just finished this game for the first time yesterday.

I'm in love.

I didn't have a PS3 last generation, so the series never really showed on my radar until now with the PC release. And this game is just beautiful, both in terms of art and design.

The gameplay is tight and super satisfying, the pacing and difficulty curve is sublime, and I grew quite the attachment to the characters (even the non-story Squad 7 members, thanks to the great Potential/Relationship system). Now I'm really holding out for the sequels to also come to PC (please let the good times roll, Sega).

Also, Alicia is a beast in NG+! I managed to clear the first 6 chapters with only her (and Welkin/Largo for the necessary heavy assist) in under 30 minutes. What a champ.
One-turn Chapter 6 Desert Encounter for the win. Going for one-turn Chapter 7 next; wish me luck!

Inumbris

You can't D: The radiators need to be exposed first.

Oh right, I'd forgotten that Chapter 7 was the tank battle. Definitely getting into that as soon as I get home from work then.
I think I managed to get Rank B on my first run, so I'm pretty confident that I'll get A pretty easily. Now I just want to see how low I can get it.

Falk

that puzzling face
There -is- a way to reduce the turn count, which involves getting all 3 radiators low, and then blowing up all 3 simultaneously with a mortar.

There -is- a way to reduce the turn count, which involves getting all 3 radiators low, and then blowing up all 3 simultaneously with a mortar.
It's great that there's so many different ways of tackling each battle.

I used the hand grenade method myself.

Falk

that puzzling face
You do need to spend 2 CP on each generator (I guess you could cheese Anti Armor) and then mortar, which is another 2 CP, and then whittle down Batomys itself. This is while also taking out a bunch of its turrets and the footsoldiers at the start (hence it's a little hard to save 20CP by turn 3). I guess it could be done if you have OP party.

Sera O

Banned

Wait, the radiators will stay exposed? I always just assumed they would retract the next turn after the main gun was used, whether they were taken out completely or not. Damn. I'm going to have to try that.

Wait, the radiators will stay exposed? I always just assumed they would retract the next turn after the main gun was used, whether they were taken out completely or not. Damn. I'm going to have to try that.

The radiators retract at the end of the turn if you don't blow any. That's why you have to save up an obscene amount of CP to make this strategy work, because all the radiator damage has to be done in a single turn.

Sera O

Banned
The radiators retract at the end of the turn if you don't blow any. That's why you have to save up an obscene amount of CP to make this strategy work, because all the radiator damage has to be done in a single turn.

Cool. I never even considered this as a possibility, but going back with the full list of orders (and Audrey) it would be something to check out.

Murkrow

Banned
Neat, I never thought about that. That should get it down to 3 turns minimum?

Hey Durante are you going to do more mods to the game?

And another question which is totally wrong here I know but:

When Dark Souls' new update for steam mess' up the DSfix, will you fix it?

omg_mjd

Just finished the game yesterday at 4 a.m. for the first time. Had bought it day one but was avoiding the OT so I could play the game blind.

Well, it was a masterpiece. It's funny how I was drawn in by the art style alone (and voting with my wallet to support future PC ports) but the story, the characters and the gameplay were just as sublime as the aesthetics. Fuck yeah video games. My GOTY 2014.

In the Twitch speed run R&D stream someone posted earlier, I saw the streamer trying to perfect this exact strategy. Blew my damned mind when I saw it, especially because he didn't actually explain what he was doing and it looks nonsensical until the mortar.

Might as well stop by and ask if there's been any progress on the Valkyria Chronicles modding front thus far. That and my continued prayer that this release helps lead to VC3 localization.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm plodding on with my music HDfying project, but not much to report, since VGO's really busy these few months (You'd think December would be a month off...) and much of the stuff I'm really waiting on tracking woodwinds before stuff happens.

edit: When I've got more than a handful of tracks together I might just start a thread somewhere so interested parties can keep track, since there's a cartload of tracks and I don't want to clutter up the OT.

Is the fantl version no good?

I'm looking more at the case of getting an official dub.

Let me just say that I'm not one of those "Subs, not dubs" guys - Get very bad disconnect issues reading subtitles that don't match what my ears are hearing. It's the bloody stuff of migraines on my end. And I'd rather not utterly gut presentation by turning voiceover volume to 0.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm plodding on with my music HDfying project, but not much to report, since VGO's really busy these few months (You'd think December would be a month off...) and much of the stuff I'm really waiting on tracking woodwinds before stuff happens.

edit: When I've got more than a handful of tracks together I might just start a thread somewhere so interested parties can keep track, since there's a cartload of tracks and I don't want to clutter up the OT.

I'd be totally interested in that thread whenever you post it.

Is anybody else having weird controller input issues? It's almost like the game is failing to recognize my controller for a few quick frames every 5-10 seconds, which is super noticeable when moving units in third person: they come to a complete stop and then have to start again.

I checked other games and they don't have this issue. I tried multiple controllers with my PC and all have the same issue in the game. Any ideas?

FWIW, on the Configuration launcher, when I go to INPUT settings, I'll tab over to the controller bindings, and the Config launcher switches back to KB/M bindings on it's own.

partyboy

Does this game ever become more than just a puzzle game? By that I mean, it seems like there's a fairly narrow sequence of moves you can do to achieve victory and the point is to keep trying until you figure out how to "solve" the battle. It doesn't feel very tactical. I'm only a few hours in though.

Does this game ever become more than just a puzzle game? By that I mean, it seems like there's a fairly narrow sequence of moves you can do to achieve victory and the point is to keep trying until you figure out how to "solve" the battle. It doesn't feel very tactical. I'm only a few hours in though.
For sure there are tactics that are more efficient than others, but for most maps there are multiple ways to complete the mission objective.

Vlodril

nvm fixed.

should i play the dlc after the main game? (btw i have finished the main game in ps3 before i am just asking difficulty wise).

Falk

that puzzling face

To answer your question, the first 4 or so battles do feel pretty on-rails.

Chariot

Yes.

m_dorian

This is what i am doing right now. Trying to drive the Imperials out of Gallia for the first time. I have a big battle at
Ghirlandaio
but those challenges are calling my name.

Top Bottom