• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Officialy Announced Deadlock

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I got an invite last week or so to test it. I installed it, launched it and started the tutorial. As soon as the tutorial started and I saw the type of game it was, I immediately closed it and uninstalled.

These Gaas/hero shooters are shit. They are a mistake that I wish never existed.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Dota2 had the same trajectory.

They opened it to beta, literally everyone could play it in Beta after an year and after 2 whole years they officially launched the game.

Denton

I love how absolutely fucking barebones the steam page is, zero fucks given. Valve just operates on another level.

Game is not for me at all, but seeing as it already has 30K players, I doubt it will be concord-like failure.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

I was pretty unimpressed by the visual design of the game but just got done playing for a couple hours. Once you find a hero you like the game is addicting.

I don't know why western developers have to do this, they intentionally make games aesthetically ugly.

Is this set in the HL Universe?

I read during the initial leaks it's the dota universe but in the future? Fuck knows I don't care about dota lore. I think it originally was gonna be HL but they pivoted to dota.

Also if anyone has access to deadlock I'd appreciate if they could add me on steam and pop an invite. Happy to pass it on to others here once I have access. Have added some people from a discord but they all are getting spammed.

Last edited:

Moses85

I read during the initial leaks it's the dota universe but in the future? Fuck knows I don't care about dota lore. I think it originally was gonna be HL but they pivoted to dota.

Also if anyone has access to deadlock I'd appreciate if they could add me on steam and pop an invite. Happy to pass it on to others here once I have access. Have added some people from a discord but they all are getting spammed.
Thanks

Sentenza

I love how absolutely fucking barebones the steam page is, zero fucks given. Valve just operates on another level.

Game is not for me at all, but seeing as it already has 30K players, I doubt it will be concord-like failure.
It's a half-done invite-only alpha for a game where half of the assets are currently placeholders and its concurrent user peak is already 30X what Concord brings.

Of course it won't be.

BlackTron

They mashed together Heroes of the Storm and Team Fortress. I think it's a good idea. My friends love moba but I fell off them. This would be different if if took the form of an FPS game.

I look forward to seeing how this game shapes up.

Last edited:
It's a half-done invite-only alpha for a game where half of the assets are currently placeholders and its concurrent user peak is already 30X what Concord brings.

Of course it won't be.

It's free and it's valve. It being Valve alone, considering the success of dota and cs. Means every child, streamer, sweater, is gonna be whoring the game hoping to become "pro".

BlackTron

"This game is a beta full of unfinished ideas and placeholder assets. We didn't even want to announce it as a real game until today. It's a new sub-genre: class-based MOBA FPS"

"Looks bland. Concord 2."

Boralf

Played it for a few hours and its pretty fun. Biggest problem with the game I think right now is visual clutter and a kind of generic artstyle to it. Hope they look at Overwatch and LoL for that, because in those games characters are very distinctive and their abilities are easy to read. But thats also the part of the game thats the least finished.

Laptop1991

Saw the thread title, and Valve? instantly curious, then saw multiplayer game, instantly not lol. back to waiting for the mythical HL3.

Wildebeest

This game actually has a chance because it is an online shooter that looks like it was made for PC players first, and that is a surprisingly rare thing these days. A gap in the market.

Why? What is it with game companies of late not just giving people what they want. Suicide Squad, Redfall and now Concord. Portal 3 would have been huge and Half Life 3, well that would destroy the Internet.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Why? What is it with game companies of late not just giving people what they want. Suicide Squad, Redfall and now Concord. Portal 3 would have been huge and Half Life 3, well that would destroy the Internet.
I think there's people that want this game. The kind of people that enjoys games like TF2 or DOTA2.

I'd prefer a single-player game but hey, at least Valve keeps making games so maybe they throw us single-players a bone next time.

The world moved on. Deadlock is actually what people want. It's freaking DotA as a third person shooter with Melee inspired traversals and parry's. Sure, it may not your suit your personal taste, and the grumpy conservative bunch on here, but that doesn't mean there's no audience for it.
I'm willing to bet that Deadlock will blow up to become the next huge online competitive game and would hypothetically put HL3 numbers, if it was released in this day and age, to shame.

Last edited:
The world moved on. Deadlock is actually what people want. It's freaking DotA as a third person shooter with Melee inspired traversals and parry's. Sure, it may not your suit your personal taste, and the grumpy conservative bunch on here, but that doesn't mean there's no audience for it.
I'm willing to bet that Deadlock will blow up to become the next huge online competitive game and would hypothetically put HL3 numbers, if it was released in this day and age, to shame.
I know it has moved on in part. I have no doubt that this will be more successful than any of the recent failures as it's Valve. However, we have just seen in recent years the massive success of games like Elden Ring and Wukong etc. These games are selling huge numbers and there is clearly still a massive market for it even in a post Roblox world. They already have Dota, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike etc. I really do think a big single player focused game from Valve will sell 20,000,000 units or more. When it comes down to it GTA6 will probably sell 50 million units in the first week. The world might have changed but we aren't in a different dimension.

StereoVsn

Gameplay actually looks interesting as MOBA with TPS view isn’t common. I originally thought it was a hero shooter as well, but this is quite a bit better.

Going to try it out once they get some of those art assets improved.

Played a few hours last night and it's a lot of fun! If you like moba's it's a good time, movement is pretty quick n snappy and some characters have some solid abilities to get across areas in a flash. Everyone having a ranged basic attack is a game changer as I suck as melee classes in mobas lol

Getting into a match was also instant every time even though it said "12+ players playing now"

Last edited:
Lol @ people calling it a hero shooter. It's a Moba which, you know, have named characters that you play. Nothing like a shooter.

Having said that I'm not a big fan of moba's in general. Drawn out fights, farming trash, building up a character on a per match basis... Just not my thing unfortunately.

BlackTron

Lol @ people calling it a hero shooter. It's a Moba which, you know, have named characters that you play. Nothing like a shooter.

Having said that I'm not a big fan of moba's in general. Drawn out fights, farming trash, building up a character on a per match basis... Just not my thing unfortunately.

The drawn out fights get boring to me from an above RTS perspective. If I was actually controlling my character on the ground and my real-time action/shooting skills made a difference in the bigger fight, this intrigues me.

The drawn out fights get boring to me from an above RTS perspective. If I was actually controlling my character on the ground and my real-time action/shooting skills made a difference in the bigger fight, this intrigues me.
Well it is third person so your aiming skills do come into play but still doesn't change that it's a MOBA and my other issues still stand

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
lol at peoples dooming this game and comparing an online Valve game to concord

Valve never misses

It might not be what you wanted, but they always have massive successes, especially online.

You cannot even play it now without an invite and it already has 44k concurrent players, 64k peak (limited by # invites)

Already eclipsed concord before public can even download it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I'm starting to wonder if I even like video games anymore. It's just more Gaas shlock all the fucking time. It never ends.
I been playing older games and more Nintendo games. Don’t have to worry about micro transactions and the games were made with love and fun in mind not shareholders.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I been playing older games and more Nintendo games. Don’t have to worry about micro transactions and the games were made with love and fun in mind not shareholders.

Oh, to be clear - I still play a ton of older games. I actually just bought some random DS games a few days ago. I still love video games, I'm just bored by just about every game outside of the indie space now.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Oh, to be clear - I still play a ton of older games. I actually just bought some random DS games a few days ago. I still love video games, I'm just bored by just about every game outside of the indie space now.
Fair point I feel modern gaming is having issues because we have seen and played almost all of it already. There isn’t anything new or innovating out there for the most part. Just reskinned games over and over. We are at a point in time where while graphics can continue to grow developers need to hire better story / writers to make games more engaging.

I’m also waiting for the mmo mass co-op Shooter genre takes off! Tired of the pvp stuff

Last edited:
Top Bottom