• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

TheBez

Atomski said:
Slowed down? how can you do that?
Download and open Cheat Engine
Open BTB
In Cheat Engine search for the BTB exe
Click Enable Speedhack
Modify!

I played at .2 and slowed it down to .15 during the boss fight. It took ~1hr to do the level. Quite a grind.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
21:00 - Calculations complete for AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity. Recalculating a new launch projection...

Refresh and it turns blue.

KScorp

Completing AAAaaaAA seems to have taken another hour off. I wonder what determines how much time is taken off per game.

Sciz

enzo_gt said:
But then you have higher targets, no?
Audiosurf's scoring is such that higher difficulties also offer intrinsically higher scoring potential. Of the three, general consensus seems to be that Pro's gold requirement is tuned the lowest.

Blizzard

Banned
DoctorWho said:
I'm drunk. How much time do we have left.
Until Monday afternoon/night unless Valve changes something, it looks like.

50 minutes -> 40 minutes -> 60 minutes off for the easiest games doesn't even make much of a pattern.

Baha

blamite said:
I'll do RUSH until I go to sleep, than what's recommended after that? Bit.trip, Toki Tori, or Audiosurf?

Cogs, it's close behind RUSH.

[EDIT] What are the chances Killing Floor, Amnesia & The Ball take off more time since they take the longest to complete?

iSimon

Blizzard said:
Until Monday afternoon/night unless Valve changes something, it looks like.

50 minutes -> 40 minutes -> 60 minutes off for the easiest games doesn't even make much of a pattern.
Increments of 10 minutes from the easiest to complete games to the hardest?
We may have just done it in a slightly different order.

heyf00L

Am I missing something? Filling up each game one at a time has got to be a waste. Some people will keep playing the game after it's full. I think the smart thing to do is try to keep them all even, meaning look at the chart and play the game with the lowest bar. The potato multiplier wouldn't affect that method either.

Atomski

I hate how the percent per hour keeps dropping and dropping.. first day it was like 1.55+ per hour and now its 1.32. You would think as things went on it would be speeding up rather than slowing down specially with games being maxed out and such.

heyf00L said:
Am I missing something? Filling up each game one at a time has got to be a waste. Some people will keep playing the game after it's full. I think the smart thing to do is try to keep them all even, meaning look at the chart and play the game with the lowest bar. The potato multiplier wouldn't affect that method either.
Some people believe that completing the easy games is supposed to make the hard games easier. Not sure where this info came from though.

AwShucks

heyf00L said:

I'd say the only reason would be that it's unlikely all will be filled by the end of the countdown, IMO. So getting one at a time at least reduces the time by a few hours. Which doesn't help me since I'm on the west coast so unless it gets released by like 1am Tuesday I won't be playing it til Tuesday evening anyways

Sibylus

Banned
heyf00L said:
They're not all weighted evenly, so that'd be a recipe for not finishing in time. Better to knock them out one-by-one and roll on the remaining hard ones with the majority of the ARG players.

thefil

Atomski said:
I hate how the percent per hour keeps dropping and dropping.. first day it was like 1.55+ per hour and now its 1.32. You would think as things went on it would be speeding up rather than slowing down specially with games being maxed out and such.

And with the Potato modifier skyrocketing...

KScorp

iSimon said:
Increments of 10 minutes from the easiest to complete games to the hardest?
We may have just done it in a slightly different order.

That would be fairly disappointing since then if we complete all the games we only get a 22 hour early release.

epmode

heyf00L said:
That ARG guy hinted that the overall bar speed is being increased each time another game is completed.

I think he's making stuff up or the difference is so slight that it's imperceptible. Did I say that this phase is terrible? Because this phase is terrible.

Atomski said:

Some people believe that completing the easy games is supposed to make the hard games easier. Not sure where this info came from though.

People sleeping/ idling don't help. Registering 0% instead of whatever you were previously giving doesn't help.

blamite

Atomski said:
I think the idea is that by the time we get to the hard games, we'll have enough potatoes saved up that they'll go much faster.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
zombieshavebrains said:
That happened to me. I either missed a note or accidently killed the last guy with the door :S either way it said some message at the bottom during "the end" screen that i was so close yet so far away. The worst part of that is not being able to save.
I must of killed the last guy somehow, not sure what I did wrong though. I'll fire it back up, should be a lot faster this time around.

KScorp

TheBez said:
The there is hope for the "Killing/Advice" level yet!!!

You can actually modify a file from the game to make it easier.

In steamapps/common/aaaaaa/Data, there is a constants.ini file. Open it in notepad or whatever text editor you have, and change air maneuverability to something higher. It SHOULD do something, although I haven't modified it or tried it myself.

On a side note, I love that level. My favorite so far in AaaaaAa. I've played it so many times already just for the fun.

Baha

KScorp said:
You can actually modify a file from the game to make it easier.

In steamapps/common/aaaaaa/Data, there is a constants.ini file. Open it in notepad or whatever text editor you have, and change air maneuverability to something higher. It SHOULD do something, although I haven't modified it or tried it myself.

That doesn't work anymore, they patched it so that file is overridden.

Weenerz said:
Damn Rush is moving pretty steadily.

I like to think golden potatoes count 10x a normal potato.

We should all get together in a thread after this is over, compare notes, what did you cheat on, what was legit, FUCK COGS, etc.

Hylian7

I haven't touched Rush at all, and just got it with the potato sack. Is there any quick way to get to the level I need for the potatoes in it?

iSimon

Wow, Rush is going pretty fast. Finishing games is definitely speeding things up.

This is the first time I've played Rush, it's actually pretty damn fun.

Mairu

I've got 16 potatoes but I'm nearly at the point where I don't want to play the rest of the games or put in the time to unlock the rest :(

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
The audiosurf one really isn't that bad on pointman easy. One of the tips is get every single block you can, but that is just wrong. Save a paint for the end, and in the final part after the slow part of the song actually try to match up colors while getting all the cubes. You have to get clean finish to have any hope of getting 180k+. It honestly took me almost 30 tries to get it but i finally figured out some of the little things that will get you to the correct score.

Top Bottom