• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

ElNarez

Banned
shuyin_ said:
Ok, someone enlighten me... the projected launch on GLaDOS' page is the release date?
Yup. But again, it's the worst case scenario. The game will come out at the projected launch time IF everything were to stop now. So look at it as a time limit.

ElNarez

Banned
lawblob said:
So this thing never ended up unlocking early? Wow.

They're making us earn it. But it's gonna release early for sure. For now it's three hours, but we're working to make that at least one day, if not two. If you want to help, and trust me you do, launch cogs.

shuyin_

Banned
ElNarez said:
Yup. But again, it's the worst case scenario. The game will come out at the projected launch time IF everything were to stop now. So look at it as a time limit.
WTF...So it'll release on tuesday.... since there are 44 hours left :/
If people wouldn't have played the potato sack games, would it have been delayed or what. I don't get it...

ElNarez

Banned
shuyin_ said:
So it'll be tuesday.... since there are 44 hours left :/
Thing is, every bar we fill takes off some of the time in that clock. And we're filling a lot of bars right now. Some sites predict the launch to happen monday, but since we've been accelerating over the week-end, we might end up having it tonight. But we need all the help we can get. You should really consider launching Cogs is what I'm saying.

Jintor

Either way it would have launched on Tuesday.

At the moment, the Potato games are contributing towards unlocking it even earlier. At the moment it's a matter of hours, and if something drastic doesn't happen it'll probably remain that way too.

IceMarker

Bisonian said:
Wonder who this guy is?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wc4/
Image touched up: http://i.imgur.com/OjUaM.jpg

(To speed things up: The Watcher mentioned Irish and Cynic in one of his last transmissions, the banner above gameplay stats and the profile text match the ones that all the infected players from the game had. Unfound part of the ARG, new part of the ARG, or trolling user? You be the judge.)
It seems like random people have been 'infected' by GLaDOS, anyone who is has that special portal badge on their profile and their profile descriptions all read the same, now the question is what purpose do they serve? And why were they chosen?

ElNarez

Banned
Well, we're 6 hours away from peak hour, and we have three games past the halfway point we're not actually focusing on. Toki Tori, Bit Trip and Audiosurf will end up getting their bars full in no time. I know it's taking time, but it's looking plenty good.

Doopliss

ElNarez said:
Thing is, every bar we fill takes off some of the time in that clock. And we're filling a lot of bars right now. Some sites predict the launch to happen monday, but since we've been accelerating over the week-end, we might end up having it tonight. But we need all the help we can get. You should really consider launching Cogs is what I'm saying.
It's not accelerating at all. The blue line here shows how "Computations Completed for Launch" (the main bar on glados@home) has progressed. The rate it's been filling clearly hasn't increased.

shuyin_

Banned
Jintor said:
Either way it would have launched on Tuesday.

At the moment, the Potato games are contributing towards unlocking it even earlier. At the moment it's a matter of hours, and if something drastic doesn't happen it'll probably remain that way too.
So thousands of people all over the world are putting tens of hours into the potato sack games to unlock Portal 2... 2 hours earlier? :| :| :|

I'm honestly feeling sorry for the people that didn't actually want to play them (and i suspect there are quite a few), because they spent their weekend like this.

It's really not worth it imo...they should've enjoyed the weekend and wait 2 more hours on Tuesday.

derFeef

hamchan said:
I'll be honest, only unlocking a few hours earlier makes the whole thing seem not worth it :-/
Seriously. They could have launched that even without the ARG. In retrospect it was really unnecessary. Awesome to watch, though.

Sethos

Banned
derFeef said:
Seriously. They could have launched that even without the ARG. In retrospect it was really unnecessary. Awesome to watch, though.

Indeed, fun to follow and watch but completely and utterly pointless.

Jintor

ElNarez said:

807503965_rBNbP-L.jpg

Haeleos

hamchan said:
I'll be honest, only unlocking a few hours earlier makes the whole thing seem not worth it :-/

Exactly. And if that's the end result, Valve will have a lot less participation in their future ARGs since people will feel so burnt out by this one. I have no idea what they were thinking with this last step.

shuyin_ said:
So thousands of people all over the world are putting tens of hours into the potato sack games to unlock Portal 2... 2 hours earlier? :| :| :|

I'm honestly feeling sorry for the people that didn't actually want to play them (and i suspect there are quite a few), because they spent their weekend like this.

It's really not worth it imo...they should've enjoyed the weekend and wait 2 more hours on Tuesday.
Enjoying your weekend and spending all weekend playing indie games and watching percentage meters aren't mutually exclusive.

feelsbadman.jpg

Jintor

I can only hope that they have some sort of super backup in place. They're not blind, deaf or dumb; they must know that the internet (and general popular reaction) has decreed this as stupid. So what are they doing now?

hamchan

Jintor said:
I can only hope that they have some sort of super backup in place. They're not blind, deaf or dumb; they must know that the internet (and general popular reaction) has decreed this as stupid. So what are they doing now?

The best thing they can do is release Portal 2 right now.

WHO'S WITH ME?!

Nabs

ElNarez said:
We're getting more bars filled faster than yesterday. I call that accelerating.
Not when they are easy to fill. We'll see what happens when we hit the imaginary potato line, or get a few more blues.

shuyin_

Banned
butter_stick said:
Enjoying your weekend and spending all weekend playing indie games and watching percentage meters aren't mutually exclusive.

feelsbadman.jpg
Except most posts on this thread were of people complaining and asking how much of Rush/Cogs/whatever do they need to play before the bar finishes. Yup, they were having a blast ;)

feelsgood.jpg

Trickster

ElNarez said:

I'm gonna go with what steam says over "some sites" sorry. I'd perhaps have considered putting in a bit of effort to get the game out earlier, but considering how much effort has gone into it already, versus how much time has been shaved off. It just doesn't seem worth it, I'll just continue playing games and watching shows that I like instead.

oh and what that penny arcade comics says also.

Jintor said:

Probably enjoying their weekend, not playing indie games.

Honestly though, I doubt there will be any reaction from valve, they know that by the time their next game is about to roll out, people will have largely forgotten about it, and those that haven't will forgive them because they're valve "teh bestest developers evar"

Nabs said:
Not when they are easy to fill. We'll see what happens when we hit the imaginary potato line, or get a few more blues.
Going by the existing trends. Absolutely nothing of any significance will happen. At best Portal 2 will unlock at 5 am on Tuesday instead of 12.

ElNarez

Banned
Trickster said:
I'm gonna go with what steam says over "some sites" sorry. I'd perhaps have considered putting in a bit of effort to get the game out earlier, but considering how much effort has gone into it already, versus how much time has been shaved off. It just doesn't seem worth it, I'll just continue playing games and watching shows that I like instead.

oh and what that penny arcade comics says also.

The clock on Steam changes only when a bar is filled. The sites I'm talking about take into account the progression rate of every bar whether finished or not, and uses that data to deduce the time at which they'll be full. Since the game will be released once every bar is full, they can give a projection of what the release time will end up being. So sure, it looks like we only got three hours, but we're working hard on making this a day. And we need all the help we can get.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Can somebody please explain why the bar are filling up yet time of release isn't going down? It's still releasing Monday.

hamchan said:
The best thing they can do is release Portal 2 right now.

WHO'S WITH ME?!
I am. It's 5pm here and I'm going off on vacation tomorrow morning so if it doesn't release in the next couple of hours, I'll play it a week from now.

(which is what I expected to do from the beginning)

XeroSauce

From the Valve ARG wiki:
03:39: arg2 chatroom user Willox indicates since 88 is the ascii code for 'X' then it might mean the Auxiliary Power will kick in at X 375,466 potatos using the number Steve posted in the [BostonIndies Has anyone seen Ichiro] messages we received April 13th. Potato count is currently at X 357,091.

Jintor

Trickster said:
Honestly though, I doubt there will be any reaction from valve, they know that by the time their next game is about to roll out, people will have largely forgotten about it, and those that haven't will forgive them because they're valve "teh bestest developers evar"

Well, they are. In the grand scheme of things this is a pretty minor fuck-up.

Still disappointing though.

/edit every arbitrary imaginary number has disappointed me so far, but since that lead has a bit of evidence... well, I can dream.

Goodnight Portal2Gaf. I hope something awesome happens while I sleep.

shuyin_

Banned
ElNarez said:
The clock on Steam changes only when a bar is filled. The sites I'm talking about take into account the progression rate of every bar whether finished or not, and uses that data to deduce the time at which they'll be full. Since the game will be released once every bar is full, they can give a projection of what the release time will end up being. So sure, it looks like we only got three hours, but we're working hard on making this a day. And we need all the help we can get.
I suggest nobody wastes his time playing any of the games in the potato sack unless he really wants to. Playing them just to help Portal 2 get released a fraction of a second earlier is pretty damn stupid and a good way to waste your time, if you ask me.

I'd rather people stop playing Valve's retarded ARG and rather do something they like and wait 2 or 3 more hours on Tuesday.

ElNarez

Banned
The thing is, I don't think it's a fuck up. Not to jump to conclusions or anything, but does any one of you entitled motherfuckers know anything about effort? Valve is promising us a favor, in exchange for a bit of work, if it even counts as actual work. You're making it sound as if they're asking you to work in a cole mine for the rest of your adult lives to get Portal 2 10 minutes before anyone else, when it's absolutely not the case.

ElNarez said:
The thing is, I don't think it's a fuck up. Not to jump to conclusions or anything, but does any one of you entitled motherfuckers know anything about effort? Valve is promising us a favor, in exchange for a bit of work, if it even counts as actual work. You're making it sound as if they're asking you to work in a cole mine for the rest of your adult lives to get Portal 2 10 minutes before anyone else, when it's absolutely not the case.
However, the favor is to many not worth it after all the loopholes that formed the ARG before this.

LM4sure

Banned
shuyin_ said:
I suggest nobody wastes his time playing any of the games in the potato sack unless he really wants to. Playing them just to help Portal 2 get released a fraction of a second earlier is pretty damn stupid and a good way to waste your time, if you ask me.

I'd rather people stop playing Valve's retarded ARG and rather do something they like and wait 2 or 3 more hours on Tuesday.

STFU. No one cares about your opinion. We get it. It's not worth your time. No one cares.

ElNarez said:
Most people aren't complaining about efforts, they're just observing that so far the favor seems drastically underwhelming compared to the awesome buildup.
It doesn't make Valve bad guys, it's just a bit baffling to lose such momentum.

Baha

The rate of potatoes collected is actually a bit faster than I calculated earlier. We might hit 375466 by 11:50 instead now.

Jintor

ElNarez said:

The cost/reward ratio is severely out of whack.

shuyin_

Banned
ElNarez said:
You're jsut blind, that's all :)

Valve is simply manipulating you into doing something, with the promise of an early release. If you take a neutral position and think of it in terms of reward: playing some games you don't want to play from friday 'till sunday, continously, just for a 2hour early release you will see it's just not worth it.

LM4sure said:
STFU. No one cares about your opinion. We get it. It's not worth your time. No one cares.
Err, who pissed in your cereals? Isn't this a forum where people post opinions? You don't care about my opinion, that's fine. I don't care about yours either. No need to be rude

epmode

Thanks to the tireless efforts of all of these Potato Pack players, I might be able to launch the game before I have to leave for work on Tuesday!

ElNarez said:

I'm all in favor for this but you make it sound very obnoxious especially when you insult like that.

Just remember: you have to purchase the games. It's not like they're asking you to "like" them in Facebook or anything. Some rather wait than spending another $40. You also have to collect the potatoes for God knows what reason but we are collecting it, which alone is shit loads of work. You also have to run all these games in background, which is quite a bit annoying and doesn't encourage us to play any of it since we need to clock in hours before Tuesday.

Again, keep the insult to yourself. We know what we're doing and we're happy in this misery of ours.

LM4sure

Banned
Jintor said:
The cost/reward ratio is severely out of whack.

That's like your opinion, man.

Err, who pissed in your cereals? Isn't this a forum where people post opinions? You don't care about my opinion, that's fine. I don't care about yours either. No need to be rude

You've already made your opinion known many times. You don't think it's worth your time. That doesn't mean it's not worth other people's time. You think because you wouldn't enjoy playing these games no one would. So they should do like you and give up. If you don't want to participate, fine. But leave your negativity out of it.

IceMarker

The only thing I'm disappointed about this ARG is how many people have suddenly turned their backs on Valve. Smh.

I'll be playfully laughing when we get to all play Portal 2 tonight/early tomorrow morning.

Top Bottom