• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

TheBez

Stitch said:
the bit trip beat levels are way too long :|
Especially when you slow them down to 1/5th the normal speed. Descent took ~1 hr. Turned a podcast on and play BTB to get that darned potato.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
TheBez said:
When people mention the "website" that will supposedly get players in trouble its not the wiki is it?

No. Somebody cracked the algorithm used the generate the random k= key that generates the ApSci log-in screens at the ApSci website, so they set up a website allowing people to get 15 potatoes with a click of a button.

Because users had to log-in to the website using the Steam Web API (allows secure log-ins at third-party websites), Valve caught on and will be removing the potatoes from these accounts.

As I've said before, I don't believe Valve will go after anybody who obtained their potatoes in-game, as even those who opted to use the Cogs save still had to jump a few hurdles for their potatoes. Even with the achievements unlocking at the same time it would be obvious to Valve if these saves were used for the potatoes or achievement whoring.

Let's say that the stores in town hold midnight launches for Portal 2. At CST timezone that means people could be playing this game a full 6 hours before the projected time in the website without doing any work at all. Compare that to thousands of people who have dedicated this weekend to make the game release early.

Where is the reward in that? The only solution to the problem is that the game will release when the bar hits 100%. Or this part of the ARG is to reveal something else entirely.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
1276566658386.gif

LM4sure

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
We won't know nothing happened until an hour or so from now, when we can see if it had any effect on the bars.

would have thought the text box would have let us know if anything happened

Baha

The_Technomancer said:
We won't know nothing happened until an hour or so from now, when we can see if it had any effect on the bars.

Unless something changes in the next update, I can safely say it didn't have any effect.

The_Technomancer said:

If it was moving at 300,000 times the normal rate, I'm pretty sure the ARG would be over in 5 minutes.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I've been on the road for the past couple of days and I'm so bummed that I'm missing this. Sounds like you guys are having a blast.

Jive Turkey said:
I've been on the road for the past couple of days and I'm so bummed that I'm missing this. Sounds like you guys are having a blast.
Well you can find some snails and then set an arbitrary goal for them to reach and then sit down and look at em for a couple of hours. Should be fun.

Doopliss

Maybe something will happen at 400k
lol

hamchan said:
Just like how Portal 2 releasing on Friday was based on next to nothing and nobody should have been surprised.
I still don't see how else "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM" could be interpreted (in conjunction with the phrase, "my goal is to emancipate something else early").

hamchan said:
Just like how Portal 2 releasing on Friday was based on next to nothing and nobody should have been surprised.
It was actually based on something:
- Early release practically confirmed by Gaijin Games (and it's true to an extent...)
- 'Portal2ReleaseDate' = Friday 5pm GMT
- Countdown to the time mentioned in previous statement.
- Two hours before the countdown ends we get the message: TWO HOURS UNTIL THE HEAT DEATH OF THE UNIVERSE", "TWO HOURS UNTIL SINGULARITY (UNLESS OTHERWISE REDETERMINED)", "TWO HOURS TO NEXT TUESDAY (UNLESS OTHERWISE REDETERMINED)

JaseC

hamchan said:

No, that was an understandable assumption given the dates. The 375k potato theory, however, was borne from the groups of numbers in this image.

"Liek omg a totally random group of numbers! They must relate to the potato counter!"

There was no logic to it whatsoever.

Baha

The only other explanation (besides the numbers having no connection) is that it's taking the cheated potatoes into consideration (the ones ppl got from using that website) but I'm just grasping at straws at this point.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So I refreshed it after like 10-15 mins, and the Cogs bar had moved like a millimeter or two. Overclock kicked in maybe?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Baha said:
The only other explanation (besides the numbers having no connection) is that it's taking the cheated potatoes into consideration (the ones ppl got from using that website) but I'm just grasping at straws at this point.

?

What website? People actually created a website that gives you the Potatoes when you click on it?

That's sad.

Is there a good post / faq on the best way to contribute to this event?

It seems like some games' meters go up faster than others at times, even if they don't have more people playing them... is that what's happening, or am I just imaging it? Is it better to focus your game-playing on "that" game?

And Potatoes are acting as multipliers? Is there a list of potatoes that are the easiest to get?

Finally, is just playing the game enough? Should you be playing it a special way? Does "idling" the game matter?

I'm sure these questions have been answered dozens of times in these threads, but if we had an OP that laid out how to best contribute, it might help.

And apologies if someone has already done this!

JaseC

Zerokku said:
So I refreshed it after like 10-15 mins, and the Cogs bar had moved like a millimeter or two. Overclock kicked in maybe?

I'd say a message will appear in the text output when GLaDOS decides to overclock the CPUs.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
The wiki entry for it is great.

"375,466 Potatoes

Current speculation is that once the counter reaches 375,466 Potatoes, GLaDOS will start overclocking the CPUs. If you look at bostonindie's blog post(UPDATE 2011.04.14 2:28AM (EST)), it mentions the unknown relevance of Steve's sequences of numbers in his video and in a picture with internet explorer's browser searching for "88 37 54 66" . An IRC user noticed that "88" is ASCII for "X".

And nothing happened."

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I personally noticed the COGS bar move more than expected when I just refreshed... not 3.75x much, but still a bit

ElNarez

Banned
Banjo Tango said:
Is there a good post / faq on the best way to contribute to this event?

It seems like some games' meters go up faster than others at times, even if they don't have more people playing them... is that what's happening, or am I just imaging it? Is it better to focus your game-playing on "that" game?!

http://valvearg.com/wiki/Valve_ARG_Wiki has most of it covered, but the gist of it is get potatoes, run the games that we're focusing on -For now it's Cogs, but in a short while we'll be moving on to Toki Tori-, and that's pretty much it.

Doopliss

Just play one of the games that hasn't been completed. You can try to collect some potatoes but there is currently no evidence that they're doing anything (except granting a reward to those who collect every single one).

Superimposer said:
I personally noticed the COGS bar move more than expected when I just refreshed... not 3.75x much, but still a bit
If you haven't refreshed the page in a while it sometimes jumps.

Top Bottom