• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Doopliss said:
Just play one of the games that hasn't been completed. You can try to collect some potatoes but there is currently no evidence that they're doing anything (except granting a reward to those who collect every single one).

They're not doing anything right now, but Valve have confirmed the CPUs will overclock when a certain amount is reached.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Doopliss said:
Just play one of the games that hasn't been completed. You can try to collect some potatoes but there is currently no evidence that they're doing anything (except granting a reward to those who collect every single one).

If you haven't refreshed the page in a while it sometimes jumps.

I know but I'm refreshing every couple of minutes

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
JaseC said:
They're not doing anything right now, but Valve have confirmed the CPUs will overclock when a certain amount is reached.

Source?

Superimposer

Sn4ke_911 said:

His source was an email saying that maybe Glados could overclock the CPUs if she had enough auxiliary power. Which to me by no means suggests a 'kicking in' level of potatoes, just that the potatoes act as a multiplier.

JaseC

Sn4ke_911 said:

JaseC said:
The theory was based on next to nothing. Nobody should be surprised.

Edit: FWIW, Barnett has confirmed that the CPUs will overclock once a certain amount of potatoes is reached.

^

Edit: Here's the image for the visually impaired among us :)p):

REOtZ.png

Superimposer said:
His source was an email saying that maybe Glados could overclock the CPUs if she had enough auxiliary power. Which to me by no means suggests a 'kicking in' level of potatoes, just that the potatoes act as a multiplier.

As far as anybody has been able to tell the potato counter hasn't done much if anything thus far, which is why it was such a big deal when that nonsense 375k potato theory was drawn up.

Doopliss

Superimposer said:
'Enough' suggests above a certain amount.

Superimposer said:
I know but I'm refreshing every couple of minutes
Well we'll keep an eye on http://cpucount.zapto.org/game/26500 and hope that you're right.

Zomba13

Is there anything stopping users from making new steam accounts and using the web cheat to get potatoes on them, there by boosting out potato counter? Didn't the post say that cheat potatoes would still count for the counter?

classicdms

Neo Member
Zomba13 said:
Is there anything stopping users from making new steam accounts and using the web cheat to get potatoes on them, there by boosting out potato counter? Didn't the post say that cheat potatoes would still count for the counter?
You need to own at least one of the games to get a potato.

derFeef

XeroSauce said:
]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3624979/Portal%202%20Email.png

Of course, it's apparently not doing anything now, so most people are assuming he means a milestone.
I looked for almost a minute, but I still have no idea what that snapshot proves.

JaseC

Zomba13 said:

No, he just didn't mention if the removed potatoes would still count or not. Many seem to be taking that to mean that they will.

derFeef said:
I looked for almost a minute, but I still have no idea what that snapshot proves.

The URL to the correct image is in my post above, but since everybody seems to be missing it I'll edit it in.

JaseC

dave is ok said:
I turned a calculator upside down and determined we will overlock at 7070707

At the very least it has more of a basis in logic than the previous theory. :p

Hesemonni

Banned
The sad thing about this is that superior PC master race has to go through the hoops, but dirty (pirate) console peasants can just go to their everyday torrent site, download the game and go on with it.

Way to go Valve.

deleted

This is pretty obvious, so I guess it has been mentioned before:
The computations completed for launch bar will be full with about two more games.
What is the consensus on that? Will we have to complete the other games too? Or will 6 games do the trick?

xyla said:
The computations completed for launch bar will be full with about two more games.
What is the consensus on that? Will we have to complete the other games too? Or will 6 games do the trick?
We'll just get about an hour off for each game, nothing more.

Weenerz

Banned
Hesemonni said:
The sad thing about this is that superior PC master race has to go through the hoops, but dirty (pirate) console peasants can just go to their everyday torrent site, download the game and go on with it.

Way to go Valve.

Yea, damn Valve, they purposely released Portal 2 for consoles on Torrent sites while they force us to wait!

Doopliss

xyla said:
That bar is the average of all the other bars. It will be full when all the other bars are full.

XeroSauce

xyla said:

4 completed games and various from the others make 61% completion. I'm assuming we'll need 9 or 10 games completed.

EDIT: Actually, isn't that the average of all the bars combined?

ElNarez

Banned
xyla said:
No it won't. It's averaging every other bar. We're working one at a time to be more efficient and because it's the sure-fire way to get some time off, but ultimately we're gonna have to fill every bar.

kamspy

Maybe Valve is trying to stealthly corner the indie market by making us all hate our previously beloved indie steam games?

JaseC

Hesemonni said:

Way to go Valve.

Is the desire for developers to push forward the release of their games to Right Now when they're leaked to the 'net a new thing? I've never noticed it until now, when half the internet feels betrayed because something they assumed would happen, didn't happen.

clav

ElNarez said:
No it won't. It's averaging every other bar. We're working one at a time to be more efficient and because it's the sure-fire way to get some time off, but ultimately we're gonna have to fill every bar.
At this point, Valve set this whole thing up if we are to think that way.

Do you honestly believe only that many thousand are doing that? That's not a lot of computers.

Sai-kun

Banned
JaseC said:
Is the desire for developers to push forward the release of their games to Right Now when they're leaked to the 'net a new thing? I've never noticed it until now, when half the internet feels betrayed because something they assumed would happen, didn't happen.

Because Valve was fucking teasing us with "friday, friday!" for like a whole damn week, and then they gave us a big ass countdown which led to...

this shit.

Superimposer

I hope I don't offend Alienshogun (has anyone been reading the Gears thread...) but can someone guide me to this 'potato exploit' site? Just want to check up on it, don't have any of the Potato Sack games anyway

Hesemonni said:

Way to go Valve.
What do you want from Valve? Jesus dude. How is it their fault that the console versions are being pirated?

clav

Sai-kun said:
Because Valve was fucking teasing us with "friday, friday!" for like a whole damn week, and then they gave us a big ass countdown which led to...

this shit.
Yeah, I honestly don't believe it's only less than 0.1% of Steam users are running the must run program right now.

Something doesn't add up in terms of the CPU count.

Only 5000 people play Killing Floor? I thought it was a lot more than that.

We are all fools. This whole thing did spawn from April Fools Day, so this is Valve's joke on us.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm ok with phase 4 of the ARG being a giant moneygrab/thank you to the studios who developed original Portal based content for their games (except Deejoban, fuck them).

I'm not ok with the sluggish pace at which Phase 4 is going. What's the point of all this work to get Portal 2 maybe a day early, and still on a weekday?

Hesemonni

Banned
Treefingers said:
What do you want from Valve? Jesus dude. How is it their fault that the console versions are being pirated?
It's always Gabe's fault.

It was also his idea to release the game in the beginning of the week when people have to worry about studies, work and other assorted time sinks, instead of infinitely more better suited friday + weekend period. What a douche.

JaseC

Sai-kun said:

this shit.

No, those who found date clue and assumed it was promising an early release for the game were teasing you with "Friday, Friday!"

Was there reason to assume it meant an early release for Portal 2? Sure. Was there anything more to it than that? No, not at all. There was no promise. Nothing was implied. It was a fragmented piece of information found without context.

Sai-kun

Banned
Superimposer said:
I hope I don't offend Alienshogun (has anyone been reading the Gears thread...)

Bahahaha.

On topic: GO COGS GO.

JaseC said:
No, those who found date clue and assumed it was promising an early release for the game were teasing you with "Friday, Friday!"

Was there reason to assume it meant an early release for Portal 2? Sure. Was there anything more to it than that? No, not at all. There was no promise. Nothing was implied. It was a fragmented piece of information found without context.

Uh...the clue was in two areas, one DIRECTLY FROM GABE HIMSELF. It said like 4/19/11@7AM=4/15/11@9AM.

That is a HUGE reason to assume early release. And then the Dejobaan/whatever guy was like "Internet nerds are helping release Portal 2 early! Something something Friday!"

If you don't think any of that implied that the game could release early, you're crazy.

hamchan

claviertekky said:
Yeah, I honestly don't believe it's only less than 0.1% of Steam users are running the must run program right now.

We are all fools.

I can believe it. It matches up with store.steampowered.com/stats and I don't think Valve would lie about the stats.

Basically most people are just playing the games they want to play that aren't in the potato pack or can't be bothered like me to even idle a potato game.

ElNarez

Banned
claviertekky said:

We are all fools. This whole thing did spawn from April Fools Day, so this is Valve's joke on us.

Most Steam users don't give a shit. They've got their Call Of Duty/Counter-Strike and don't give a shit about the rest.

JaseC said:

It was most certainly implied. Two hours before the countdown ended we were literally told "TWO HOURS TO NEXT TUESDAY".

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
claviertekky said:
Yeah, I honestly don't believe it's only less than 0.1% of Steam users are running these programs right now.

12/250 people on my steam friends list are in Potato games right now. My friends list represents GAFers, i.e. hardcore enthusiast gamers. Nothing seems out of the ordinary about a <0.1% overall participation.

Top Bottom