• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

epmode

TWO HOURS UNTIL THE HEAT DEATH OF THE UNIVERSE
TWO HOURS UNTIL SINGULARITY (UNLESS OTHERWISE REDETERMINED)
TWO HOURS TO NEXT TUESDAY (UNLESS OTHERWISE REDETERMINED)

derFeef

ElNarez said:
Most Steam users don't give a shit. They've got their Call Of Duty/Counter-Strike and don't give a shit about the rest.
Oh jeeze, are you serious? I am highly anticipating Portal 2, but I am not going to obey to that nonsense. That has nothing to do with the games you mentioned.

Hesemonni

Banned
derFeef said:
Oh jeeze, are you serious? I am highly anticipating Portal 2, but I am not going to obey to that nonsense. That has nothing to do with the games you mentioned.
So you represent the majority of Steam users?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
darkpaladinmfc said:
It was most certainly implied. Two hours before the countdown ended we were literally told "TWO HOURS TO NEXT TUESDAY".

"Unless otherwise redetermined" and the countdown timer said there was one final test.

Teases, yes. Promises, no. I'll agree the winks and nudges got rather heavy-handed toward the end. Heck, even I got swept up in the possibility we'd be playing Portal 2 in a matter of minutes.

clav

EviLore said:
12/250 people on my steam friends list are in Potato games right now. My friends list represents GAFers, i.e. hardcore enthusiast gamers. Nothing seems out of the ordinary about a <0.1% overall participation.
It's just somewhat frustrating that Valve has stopped dropping clues how to make this faster. At least, there needs to be a goal in what people specifically need to do in terms of the exact potato count for Mr. Fusion to kick in.

Otherwise, people aren't going to care and are happy to wait until Tuesday.

If Portal 2 had released on Friday, this would have turned into the most legendary game launch ever. Instead, it is the most ridiculous tedious grind to help a game release at a time when most people won't be able to play it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ElNarez said:
Most Steam users don't give a shit. They've got their Call Of Duty/Counter-Strike and don't give a shit about the rest.
I played a 3-4 hour marathon of Black Ops multiplayer last night with my friends (instead of idling) and I don't feel a lick of guilt.

Hesemonni

Banned
Lasthope106 said:
If Portal 2 had released on Friday, this would have turned into the most legendary game launch ever. Instead, it is the most ridiculous tedious grind to help a game release at a time when most people won't be able to play it.
Ding ding ding!

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The whole ARG heavily hinted towards a Friday release or 'final test' on Friday. Common sense would then dictate the 'final test' on Friday would take less than four days to complete, otherwise why bother?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
WARNING!
Stay away from the official Portal 2 steam forum. The game got leaked and an asshole spoiled the ending in the thread title.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So.. can someone explain to me why people believe it will release a day early based off of some CPU % calculations that do not reflect the projections of the official clock? Is this just creating delusions on a grand scale for everyone to have false expectations or what?
Sn4ke_911 said:
WARNING!
Stay away from the official Portal 2 steam forum. The game got leaked and an asshole spoiled the ending in the thread title.
Damn, hope you didn't have it spoiled for yourself man.

JaseC said:
"Unless otherwise redetermined" and the countdown timer said there was one final test.

Teases, yes. Promises, no. I'll agree the winks and nudges got rather heavy-handed toward the end.
Well, we should get some kind of reward for this ARG, and we were teased that we would receive one. After all this trouble the reward is very little and a disappointment. And the entire ARG progresses with the help of teases and what not, we should gather information from everything we see.

Sai-kun

Banned
JaseC said:

Teases, yes. Promises, no. I'll agree the winks and nudges got rather heavy-handed toward the end. Heck, even I got swept up in the possibility we'd be playing Portal 2 in a matter of minutes.

Okay, we can agree then. They definitely never said anything outright, but come on, the ARG hype was huge, and for someone to even mention the release date, and then a SOOONER date, had to be implying/teasing some kind of early release.

And now here we are, mindlessly grinding out time in a bunch of games.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
claviertekky said:
It's just somewhat frustrating that Valve has stopped dropping clues how to make this faster. At least, there needs to be a goal in what people specifically need to do in terms of the exact potato count for Mr. Fusion to kick in.

Otherwise, people aren't going to care and are happy to wait until Tuesday.
The people who played in the ARG and really gave a shit already have 36 potatoes. The others either a.) aren't going to buy some games they don't care about or b.) aren't going to bother wasting time farming potatoes to play Portal 2 eight hours earlier than usual.

JaseC

Sn4ke_911 said:
WARNING!

I knew this shit would start happening. Ugh.

Lasthope106 said:

very well said.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sn4ke_911 said:
WARNING!

Good lord, I was just about to go there to see how things were going.

Not good, I can tell. Thanks for the heads up.

dave is ok said:
The whole ARG heavily hinted towards a Friday release or 'final test' on Friday. Common sense would then dictate the 'final test' on Friday would take less than four days to complete, otherwise why bother?

That's what is bugging me. I was cool with a final test, even if it took a day and the conclusion was clear. There is no clear outcome to this ARG besides Portal 2 may be released early "by a few hours" and now a lot of people are starting to give up on what appears to be a fruitless endeavour.

The lack of clarity to this final component of the ARG coupled with the fact that the reward may not be all that great have made this a tiresome exercise.

Sn4ke_911

enzo_gt said:
Damn, hope you didn't have it spoiled for yourself man.

Thanks god no. I didn't saw the thread. Only the dozen whine threads afterwards.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DoctorWho said:
That's what is bugging me. I was cool with a final test, even if it took a day and the conclusion was clear. There is no clear outcome to this ARG besides Portal 2 may be released early "by a few hours" and now a lot of people are starting to give up on what appears to be a fruitless endeavour. Can't blame them to be honest.

The lack of clarity to this final component of the ARG coupled with the fact that the reward may not be all that great have made this a tiresome exercise.
Unless there is a bigger suprise than an early launch of Portal 2...

...the ARG has failed to surmount the hype it had while rolling. What was genuine excitement and discovery on the early stages has become bitching and tiresome idling in hope of a few hours earlier release (not a day and a half earlier like people try to make themselves believe).

I won't say Valve fucked up until I see if there is anything else besides the Portal 2 launch, but this last bit, they underwhelmed completely, and should have reconsidered this phase when they were mapping it out.

Sai-kun

Banned
ElNarez said:
Guys, if you're going to be that negative, may I suggest you just give up posting in that thread and follow the advice of this banner?

ElNarez
Banned
(Today, 11:35 AM)
Reply | Quote

We found that robots got a whole six extra seconds of posting time! Good work, robots.

Cave Johnson, we're done here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sai-kun said:
ElNarez
Banned
Reply | Quote

We found that robots got a whole six extra seconds of posting time! Good work, robots.

Oh man :lol

megalowho

Played a couple games I already had, got a couple potatoes, idled overnight a few times. If there was a possibility of a release by Sunday night I'd keep it up, but it's not looking like that's happening. This has certainly been interesting to watch unfold but it's no longer fun for me to "participate" in, Valve just seems to like dangling carrots in front of it's fans. I get enough cockteasing in real life, don't need it in my internets as well. Bring on Tuesday!

JaseC

Sai-kun said:
ElNarez
Banned
Reply | Quote

citizenkaneclapthatsalwaysusedinthewrongcontextandthispostisnoexception.gif

Superimposer said:
So I'm guessing that banner had a spoiler in it?

No. He used to to essentially tell people to stop being babies. Or become babies.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I played a 3-4 hour marathon of Black Ops multiplayer last night with my friends (instead of idling) and I don't feel a lick of guilt.
You also took the day off Friday for the release, didn't you? I'd say you deserved your Black Ops. :p

Sn4ke_911 said:
WARNING!
In fact, don't go to any other forums atm. I got a little bit spoiled last night.

Doopliss

enzo_gt said:
So.. can someone explain to me why people believe it will release a day early based off of some CPU % calculations that do not reflect the projections of the official clock? Is this just creating delusions on a grand scale for everyone to have false expectations or what?
It's assumed that once all the bars are complete, the last one having just ticked over amidst huge anticipation and excitement, Valve aren't going to say, "Great job guys, now just wait another 10 hours for this timer to finish and Portal 2 to unlock."

Baha

blanky said:
I got the 16 second song of the Audiosurf potato, but the game turns it into the full song. trick doesnt work no more?

Exit out of the 1st song you play and load the 16 second song again.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
When you say full song, do you mean it turns into 'This Device Has Been Modified'?

If that's the case, end the song and re-open Icy Murderous and you should be ok.

Tacitus_

blanky said:
I got the 16 second song of the Audiosurf potato, but the game turns it into the full song. trick doesnt work no more?

You sure you're not mixing them up? It autoplays The Device Has Been Modified whenever you play a song for the first time.

Doopliss said:
It's assumed that once all the bars are complete, the last one having just ticked over amidst huge anticipation and excitement, Valve aren't going to say, "Great job guys, now just wait another 10 hours for this timer to finish and Portal 2 to unlock."
Well Killing Floor's never going to finish.

Doopliss

blanky said:
The second potato they introduced makes the first song you load up after starting the game always be The Device has been Modified. If you exit the song and select the one you want again it should work.

Nab

Doopliss said:

Haha, perhaps they'll disguise it as a new stage of the grind. "Help repair GlaDoS by playing 10 hours of one of these games. Each. Also you have to buy these games."

Oreoleo

Sgt.Pepper said:
In fact, don't go to any other forums atm. I got a little bit spoiled last night.

I'm not even going in the Portal 2 OT thread since Dax asked someone to post the ending in spoilers.

Sn4ke_911

Orellio said:
You're fucking nuts if you think I'm clicking that.

Then i'll quote it for you.

EviLore said:
You shouldn't post spoilers, in spoiler tags or otherwise, before the game's released legitimately. Especially if you just randomly spoiler tag something without sufficient context, people will tend to highlight it without thinking due to general spoiler tag abuse, so you'll be responsible.

Top Bottom