• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

ThoseDeafMutes said:
This thread reminds me of those people who predict the rapture arriving every year. When each deadline rolls around and nothing happens they just reschedule and find some other shonky "evidence" to support the new one.
The lord Gabe tests our faith to remove weak nonbelievers.

Nab

ThoseDeafMutes said:
This thread reminds me of those people who predict the rapture arriving every year. When each deadline rolls around and nothing happens they just reschedule and find some other shonky "evidence" to support the new one.

After all the bad analogies of this thread, finally one that is completely true.

GABDEG

JaseC said:
56XuC.jpg
We're all already dead at this point.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nab said:
After all the bad analogies of this thread, finally one that is completely true.

If you posted that into the ARG Wiki chat room people would think you're saying that the Rapture is coming true.

That's how they develop theories over there. Or so I've heard.

webrunner

Nab said:

Listen ,the potatoes are like, okay, they're like cars, right, and Glados, is like, she's kinda like.. a used car salesman, only we're selling HER the cars, and she's the one driving them all, and like, she's driving them all at once, right? and so then, right, then the potato sack games are like the gasoline, except some are like diesel and some are super premium and some is biodiesel and you know how you make biodiesel, it's the runoff after you fry things, like fries, and fries, they're made of POTATOES man.

POTATOES.

Doopliss

shagg_187 said:
Let's take an example of Defense Grid:

8am - 9pm i.e. 13 hours: we saw a spike from 1839 CPUs to 3029 CPUs i.e. approx 1190 CPU increase.
During this increase, the percentage increased from 26.04% to 36.78% i.e. 10.72% increase

Compare that to the next 13 hours i.e. 9pm - 10am: we saw a decline from 1839 CPUs to 1535 CPUs i.e. approx 1500 CPU decrease.
During this decrease, the percentage increased from 36.78% to 49.45% i.e. 12.69% increase

Shit just got real?
You misunderstand how this works. There was a bigger increase in the second time period because there was a higher mean number of CPUs during that time. It's the number of CPUs that determines the rate of increase, not the change in number.

Doopliss said:
You misunderstand how this works. There was a bigger increase in the second time period because there was a higher mean number of CPUs during that time. It's the number of CPUs that determines the rate of increase, not the change in number.

I am/was just joking around. GIMME A BREAK, GAF! WE ARE ALL MELTING DOWN!

Now these points of data make a beautiful line.
And we're out of beta. We're releasing on time.

So I'm GLaD. I got burned, Think of all the things we learned...

Hylian7

Exclamation-One said:
Now these points of data make a beautiful line.
And we're out of beta. We're releasing on time.

So I'm GLaD. I got burned, Think of all the things we learned...
This is proof, we must eat potatoes. Everyone that sent taters to Valve, quickly, cancel the shipment!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
It may only be 43k Spuds, but we've barely moved since like.. 7/8 hours ago. Jeeeesus we're never gonna hit 500k -.- It's been like a thousand an hour.

JaseC

Cindres said:
It may only be 43k Spuds, but we've barely moved since like.. 7/8 hours ago. Jeeeesus we're never gonna hit 500k -.- It's been like a thousand an hour.

Seems Valve have gotten as many as they could with that banner.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
The Broken Ska Record said:
I think the thing that irritates me the most about this whole thing is that the game's not releasing at midnight. :/

Technically if all of these bars need to be filled the game won't be releasing for five days.

JaseC

Campster said:
Technically if all of these bars need to be filled the game won't be releasing for five days.

What? Even at the current pace, the game with the longest time until completion is Killing Floor with 36 hours.

Edit: And this, which I forgot to mention:

syoaran said:
Technically, no. When the timer reaches 0, the game will be released. So, 17hrs 37mins

Campster said:
The only solution is to stop playing the bar game and force Valve to release the game to win our affections back.

syoaran

Campster said:

Technically, no. When the timer reaches 0, the game will be released. So, 17hrs 37mins

EVIL

Campster said:
GLaDOS will propably overclock, to reach the desired CPU's just in time for the standard release date.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
If the game releases at 4am EST or whatever, who does it even benefit?

It'll be between 1am and 4am in America on a work night for most people on the eve of the day the game was supposed to release anyway

This whole final phase was a PR stunt gone wrong. First a countdown to Friday, which led to another four day countdown...

Owensboro

LordPhoque said:
I think we all agree this viral marketing went terribly wrong. Fuck this seriously. Couldn't they just release the goddam game ?

They will. Exactly when they said they would. At Valve'O'Clock.

MNC said:
So how confirmed is this reversed psychology thing?

Holy shit, that reminds me. Remember what GLaDOS says to you at the end of Portal?

"Do you think I'm trying to trick you with reverse psychology? I mean, seriously, now."

Tacitus_

Campster said:

They won't be. Going by the official site we've hastened the release by some odd 5 hours and 30 minutes currently.
Even if all of this does nothing the game will release in 23 hours.

TheExodu5

Banned
MNC said:

Not at all. Anyone who actually believe this is delusional.

Tacitus_ said:
They won't be. Going by the official site we've hastened the release by some odd 5 hours and 30 minutes currently.
Even if all of this does nothing the game will release in 23 hours.

That's great. I can play it at 5AM instead of 10AM now!

JaseC

MNC said:

Here's how the theory was arrived at:

- Hey, Asterisk, GLaDOS is bad, right?
* Yeah...
- So why are we helping to boot her up?
* By George, Dash! I think you're on to something! Everybody close Steam, it'll help Portal 2 to unlock faster!

Mikey Jr.

Cindres said:

Guys, fuck this shit.

Go out. Have a fucking normal monday and don't obsess over this fucking arg. It's too late. It's Monday already. The game is releasing tomorrow regardless if we fill bars or not. Even if it overclocks at 500k, (which is still a couple of hours away), it won't make much difference in the short amount of time left.

Trust me, time will go MUCH faster if you forget about this arg. Just play another game until tomorrow morning.

I'm going to go finish off Mass Effect and literally not checking this thread until tonight. Also, I'm closing Steam.

Doopliss

shagg_187 said:
I am/was just joking around. GIMME A BREAK, GAF! WE ARE ALL MELTING DOWN!
Fair enough, but the misinformation tends to propagate, and someone could've taken what you said as reality. It's kind of frustrating seeing wrong theories on every page, most of which has been explained before. For example, people keep commenting that a game has suddenly increased much faster than normal, but it's been said several times that if you refresh the page after not doing so in a while the bars can jump. A quick look at the charts will tell you that the game invariably hasn't had a significant change in progress, so obviously it's just the site not updating bars in real time properly.

hamchan

dave is ok said:

It'll be between 1am and 4am in America on a work night for most people on the eve of the day the game was supposed to release anyway

This whole final phase was a PR stunt gone wrong. First a countdown to Friday, which led to another four day countdown...

People in Australia i.e ME

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hamchan said:
People in Australia i.e ME

I'd like the see the look on your face when you realize that the arg will "fail" ( in the sense that it won't unlock today monday ) so Valve goes " fuck it then, regular releasedates for all" so you'll get it whenever aussies get it.

I'd pay for the sadness and broken hearts all across the world.
PAY I SAY!

Hey, at least it was some new blood. Now that it's passed, the ARG is back to boring.

I'm hoping there will be a post mortem-like thing on the ARG itself, explaining were there were branches (if any) and how the whole glados@home concept was actually greenlighted.

JaseC

dave is ok said:

dYy2I.jpg

dionysus

Yaldog
TheExodu5 said:
Not at all. Anyone who actually believe this is delusional.

That's great. I can play it at 5AM instead of 10AM now!

Don't most valve games release at midnight? Someone posted that earlier in the thread, if that is the case we are actually getting the game later than we would if there had been no ARG.

Gandie

dionysus said:
Don't most valve games release at midnight? Someone posted that earlier in the thread, if that is the case we are actually getting the game later than we would if there had been no ARG.

Midnight local time or midnight US/Valve time?

JaseC

It annoys me that people post speculation to the News section of the ARG Wiki. "E1912.bsp is probably related to an Easter Egg. E= Easter Egg. Get it? It totally makes sense!" Come on.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The Omega Man said:
people on account suicide are doing it on the steam forums as well, I got spoiled as well, no place is safe, trust no one.

The fu...I don't trust you

Top Bottom