• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Sent

Like having the ball drop at 11:42 instead of midnight on New Years
TrollFace.png

Nitemare1

I haven't really been following this but basically the community worked it's ass off all weekend and will probably end up with nothing to show for it other than maybe getting the game at around the same time as picking it up at a midnight release? Wow. I feel a little pissed now that I pre-ordered on steam and didn't just wait to pick up a PS3 copy and use the steam code after.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeef said:
When you alt+tab Amnesia it locks your mouse in the upper left-hand corner.

Not if you bring up the Steam overlay beforehand. Found that out unintentionally. I know it's been said already, but since you quoted me I felt compelled to reply. :p

I didn't know that you could simply leave it at the launcher, though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
fallengorn said:
I think they really did give people a choice to get it released early, but stacked it against us to get it out any earlier than maybe a few hours before Tuesday. Releasing it before/during the weekend would've peeved the publisher/retailers.

Well, unless they genuinely miscalculated just how stacked the odds were and were also somehow implausibly incapable of changing those odds once the countdown started, then Valve never really gave us the ability to seriously affect the release.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeef said:
When you alt+tab Amnesia it locks your mouse in the upper left-hand corner.

Yeah, and then tabbing back in gives you no mouse control back. I was forced to put it in windowed mode when I was going for 100%.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dumb question, I know.. But even if it doesn't get released "early" when can we expect it to unlock?

I remember HL2 and L4D unlocking at midnight. That's gonna be the case here too, right?

TheExodu5

Banned
Ozone said:
Remember when they made it seem like it would release Friday and they said "Release Portal 2 early" and you were like "No way!" and then they were all "We pretended we were going to give it to you?" That was great.

Well done.

Jtwo said:
Dumb question, I know.. But even if it doesn't get released "early" when can we expect it to unlock?

I remember HL2 and L4D unlocking at midnight. That's gonna be the case here too, right?

Looks like it.

As for HL2...it wasn't midnight. It was around 2PM EST, I think. Unless you were talking about one of the episodes.

MNC

Ozone said:
Remember when they made it seem like it would release Friday and they said "Release Portal 2 early" and you were like "No way!" and then they were all "We pretended we were going to give it to you?" That was great.
I love the no way in that line.

Nitemare1

Jtwo said:

I thought it was supposed to be 7am Tuesday morning.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
Looks like it.

As for HL2...it wasn't midnight. It was around 2PM EST, I think. Unless you were talking about one of the episodes.
No way! I specifically remember waiting up at night on the phone with 3 of my buds waiting for it to unlock. It was totally midnight, or close to it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nitemare1 said:
I thought it was supposed to be 7am Tuesday morning.

Yes, but with the early release, it's looking like it'll probably be around midnight instead.

Jtwo said:
No way! I specifically remember waiting up at night on the phone with 3 of my buds waiting for it to unlock. It was totally midnight, or close to it.

I guess I misremembered. I didn't stay up for the launch...there were no midnight releases in Canada.

Was the game even available digitally at launch? I remember so little about early Steam, despite being in since the beta for CS 1.4. :|

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
TheExodu5 said:
Yes, but with the early release, it's looking like it'll probably be around midnight instead.
For Hawaii? It'll be after 1:30 or 2 AM PST at this rate.

JaseC

TheExodu5 said:
Was the game even available digitally at launch? I remember so little about early Steam, despite being in since the beta for CS 1.4. :|

Of course. Valve even let people pre-load it, although it was done in phases, likely to minimise the damage had hackers managed to decrypt the files.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:

And yet you misremember that, as well. You needed it to play 1.6, which is when the splintering of the CS community began en masse (a phenomenon made complete with the release of CS: Source)

Yeah I don't think HL 2 was available digitally, early steam was just an app to launch counterstrike and halflife and its mods, and looked like the steams friend's list now.

Ridley327

HL2 was definitely available digitally at launch. I would know, since I got the Gold pack that came with all of the HL titles and mods up to that point.

TheExodu5

Banned
ahoyhoy said:
And yet you misremember that, as well. You needed it to play 1.6, which is when the splintering of the CS community began en masse (a phenomenon made complete with the release of CS: Source)

No I didn't. Steam beta started for the CS 1.4 beta. That's back when Friends was called Tracker.

PatzCU

Ozone said:
Congratulations on making it far in the ARG. Tomorrow you will face one last challenge... WAITING UNTIL TUESDAY!!!

webrunner

HL2 was pretty much the game that launched steam as a distrobution system (I think CS1.6 was used as a testbed)

I preordered HL2. I also never had a box copy. I remember because it was around my birthday and then there was an emergency where I lived in and I had to leave the province for a few weeks (1/3rd of Nova Scotia was without power for about a week and a half due to a snowstorm) and wasn't able to play it until I got home.

Evlar

Banned
Half-Life 2 was available for purchase on Steam on release day. That's how I purchased the game. I've never had a boxed copy.

Struct09

scorpscarx said:
Yeah I don't think HL 2 was available digitally, early steam was just an app to launch counterstrike and halflife and its mods, and looked like the steams friend's list now.

HL2 was definitely available digitally on day one

Fletcher

scorpscarx said:

HL2 was released digitally first day.

Steam started as an app to launch Counter-Strike and HL1, yes. I am pretty sure the "buy games digitally and download them through Steam" launched specifically for Half-Life 2.

I distinctly remember a friend of mine buying me "Half-Life 2 Silver" as an early Christmas present (which was HL2, CS:S, DoD:S, HL1:S, and Valve's entire back catalog). I remember downloading the CS:S beta, preloading HL2, all of that stuff.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Oh, can someone do a gif/photoshop of that scene from the prohibition episode of the Simpsons where Moe sells Barney a $45 beer and Barney says, "This better be the best tasting beer in the world. [Takes sip] You got lucky."

But make it about potatoes or some stupid shit, fuck I dunno.

JaseC

TheExodu5 said:
No I didn't. Steam beta started for the CS 1.4 beta. That's back when Friends was called Tracker.

Why 1.4? 1.5 had been out for a while by 2002.

Edit: Oh, I didn't realise 1.4 and 1.5 were released so close together.

Edit 2: Right, it seems CS 1.4 was released around the time Steam's beta went public, but the beta was for 1.6.

JaseC

LethaL ImpuLse said:
Does anyone remember back then when steam friends was utter shit? It wouldn't even work

Steam never used to work. :p In its early days, the uninstaller would also delete the folder you installed Steam in. It was so frustrating losing an entire games folder because of a shitty uninstaller.

KiKaL

Bit of topic but I remembered it being 1.6 also so had to check. According to wikipedia

"The Steam client was first made available for download in 2002 during the beta period for Counter-Strike 1.6."

I just remember initially getting in on the Steam Beta for a CS Beta

Smision said:
raise your hand if you downloaded Half-Life 2 at 56k day 1

Gawd, I remember it was when I was living in halls for my first year of uni, and my PC couldn't connect to their shitty internet. I was so excited for HL2, but I ended up having to play VtM: Bloodlines instead for a couple of weeks until I could finally get HL:2 steam verified and working. VtM is of course incredible though, so it eased the pain pretty well.

Oh yeah, and then when I did get HL2 running, I had a bug whereby sections of the levels would load with no AI for any of the NPCs. It was a legal copy of the game, but wherever I asked for help with it, I was called a dirty-arse pirate and that it was a bug only for downloaded copies. I was so pissed off :lol. Can't even remember how I fixed it in the end.

God, thinking back on it, I remember bitter hatred boiling out of me about having to install steam to install Half Life 2. I'm not 100% sure, but I may have also believed that the steam store was where you bought games then they shipped them to you. How times have changed. For the life of me, I'm looking at my library and I can't remember which one of these games I bought first.

16 hours isn't really that long in the grand scheme of things. Plenty of time for a day drunk, a nap, and some coffee. And there'll probably be another bump from audiosurf. 15 hours, I guess.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
JaseC said:
Why 1.4? 1.5 had been out for a while by 2002.

Edit: Oh, I didn't realise 1.4 and 1.5 were released so close together.

Edit 2: Right, it seems CS 1.4 was released around the time Steam's beta went public, but the beta was for 1.6.

That's what confused me about it as well, since I remember not needing to own Steam until the 1.6 beta. I guess it was optional while WON was still up and running until a little after 1.6 final hit.

JaseC

ahoyhoy said:
That's what confused me about it as well, since I remember not needing to own Steam until the 1.6 beta. I guess it was optional while WON was still up and running until a little after 1.6 final hit.

I can't remember if I played the 1.6 beta, but I do remember switching between 1.5 and 1.6 until WON was shut down.

I remember popping in my HL2 disc that I got from Gamestop (lol PC games in Gamestop lol), only to be forced to wait like 30 minutes+ for Steam to do it's damn updating... the horror.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
snoopeasystreet said:
The whole point of this ARG is to make us hate Glados, thereby making the game more emotionally impactful.
They should post video of the Companion Cube hitting the button to release the game then.

Top Bottom