• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

wrowa

The sad part about this ARG is the amount of people who hate now the great indie games they bought only because Valve "forced" them to play the games non-stop.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Alright so I kinda want the game to get delayed just so I can thrive in this madness.

DoctorWho said:
Been in a meeting. It looks like the bars are moving at a swift pace now. Is this due to the "not" playing of games?

yeah people aren't using up their CPU time playing games so there are more cycles left for Glados.

MNC

JaseC said:
Here's how the theory was arrived at:

- Hey, Asterisk, GLaDOS is bad, right?
* Yeah...
- So why are we helping to boot her up?
* By George, Dash! I think you're on to something! Everybody close Steam, it'll help Portal 2 to unlock faster!
Well yes, but the amount of won hours decreased as well, didn't it?

ultron87

I still wish I had managed to record the slowed down audio track that plays at the end of Portal 1 when you beat it in one sitting. Also, that would help me prove I'm not crazy and did in fact here it when I beat it in one sitting last Thursday.

It probably says "Yo, don't play the games and shit. Rat Guy out!"

Cartman86

Banned
JaseC said:
Kinda sounds like...

bNSUm.png

I hope i'm wrong, but are you comparing the refinement of science using repeatable and verifiable testing to a bunch of idiots predicting the end of the world using thousand year old books and superstition? Fuck me.

Doopliss

DoctorWho said:
Been in a meeting. It looks like the bars are moving at a swift pace now. Is this due to the "not" playing of games?
Seriously? 13 posts above yours:

Doopliss said:
...people keep commenting that a game has suddenly increased much faster than normal, but it's been said several times that if you refresh the page after not doing so in a while the bars can jump. A quick look at the charts will tell you that the game invariably hasn't had a significant change in progress, so obviously it's just the site not updating bars in real time properly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Corky said:
The fu...I don't trust you

The Omega Man.

The Omega Man.

He's the G-Man! :eek:

Cartman86 said:
I hope i'm wrong, but are you comparing the refinement of science using repeatable and verifiable testing to a bunch of idiots predicting the end of the world using thousand year old books and superstition? Fuck me.

No, I was making a joke.

Meh! My theory is the best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_T._Seaborg

Seaborg is a nuclear scientist who won a Nobel Prize in Chemistry for "discoveries in the chemistry of the transuranium elements", worked in Manhattan Project, and more.

He was born in April 19th, 1912 and tomorrow is his 99th Birthday. April 19th being the release date of Portal 2, and 1912 being the name of file found in Steam copies of Portal 2.

Half-Life 3, BITCHES! BELIEVE! *BOOM*

TheExodu5

Banned
The game is getting completed faster as more users play that game! Quick, everyone play that game!

The game is getting completed faster as less users play that game! Quick, everyone stop playing that game!

This is just comical at this point.

Up until now, the games with the least amount of people were completing the slowest.

This is very obviously just being controlled by Valve, and some of you somehow still can't see this.

ultron87 said:
I still wish I had managed to record the slowed down audio track that plays at the end of Portal 1 when you beat it in one sitting. Also, that would help me prove I'm not crazy and did in fact here it when I beat it in one sitting last Thursday.

Well, you know what to do. For science. ;)

Doopliss

DoctorWho said:
I just got back from a meeting and didnt have time to read everything I missed. Quit the attitude.

And thanks for te update.
Sorry, it's just the rest of my post was about people repeating wrong information over and over, and the example I used was exactly what you said. I thought you were taking the piss.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TheExodu5 said:
The game is getting completed faster as more users play that game! Quick, everyone play that game!

The game is getting completed faster as less users play that game! Quick, everyone stop playing that game!

This is just comical at this point.

Up until now, the games with the least amount of people were completing the slowest.

This is very obviously just being controlled by Valve, and some of you somehow still can't see this.

If people actually truly believe those things to be true, rather than like some us being facetious about it, then I've lost my faith in my fellow men.

MNC

ultron87 said:

What? what are you talking about? o_o
*youtubes*

Doopliss said:
Sorry, it's just the rest of my post was about people repeating wrong information over and over, and the example I used was exactly what you said. I thought you were taking the piss.

It's an ARG that will end in 12 hours. No need to take things seriously at this point, really. Nothing significant can happen with truth or hilarity-ensuing lies about how or how not to take care of this.

JaseC

TheExodu5 said:
The funny thing is, Valve is probably not even going to comment on the weekend event. They'll just pretend like it never happened.

That's not like them, though. I don't think they ever commented on the whole Golden Wrench thing, but they've admitted when they've gone wrong with practically everything else. The backlash generated from this final leg of the ARG is far too big to ignore.

marrec

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
The funny thing is, Valve is probably not even going to comment on the weekend event. They'll just pretend like it never happened.

I'd love an interview with the puppetmasters who put the ARG together so that I could ask them a few questions. Notably what Plan B was if they ever had one and what kind of survelience they had on the community.

TheExodu5

Banned
JaseC said:
That's not like them, though. I don't think they ever commented on the whole Golden Wrench thing, but they've admitted when they've gone wrong with practically everything else. The backlash generated from this final leg of the ARG is far too big to ignore.

It's very much like them. I mean, I really hope they comment on it, but I doubt they will. It will just be seen as an admission of defeat for them.

I mean, this pissed a lot of us off, but it's not like an event like this would stop any of us from buying the game in the first place. They probably generated quite a few Potato Sack sales, and lost no Portal 2 sales in the process.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
TheExodu5 said:
It's very much like them. I mean, I really hope they comment on it, but I doubt they will. It will just be seen as an admission of defeat for them.
I'd like to see them to do a post mortem on the whole ARG.
so they can fess up to mistakes

ultron87

MNC said:
What? what are you talking about? o_o
*youtubes*

When I beat Portal 1 on Thursday there was a slowed down audio clip that played over the scene with the cake and the personality spheres and Still Alive.

But then I loaded my save game to see it again and it didn't happen. So the possibilities are either A: I'm totally insane, or B: You have to beat the game from the beginning.

I didn't have another hour to waste to try it again and see if I could reproduce it.

Hylian7

JaseC said:
Wait what beef did people have with this? The fact that there was a schedule of times the wrenches would go out? I would have thought that would be the only logical way to handle it, to keep all 100 from going out in one day. They probably used an RNG to generate the scheduled times.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
TheExodu5 said:

Especially since the backlash is going to fade into near-nothingness in less than 24 hours.

I mean, everyone's pissed and anxious and bothered by this whole thing now, but come Tuesday night we'll all be playing Portal 2 and this will seem silly. It will still have left a bad taste in people's mouths, but Valve won't bother to comment on it once the outrage dies down to near-zero.

The only people who might get them to mention it would be competent game journalists, but since we have about as many of those as we do unicorns and leprechauns I think it's safe to say we'll never hear from Valve on the subject of why this happened, what the reasoning was, or why it wasn't fixed.

Ozone said:
So, chances this'll be released tonight before midnight PT?

If anyone had any sort of idea when it would be released, the thread wouldn't be so crazy! But it's a Valve game, so follow standard Valve Time procedure: It will be released later than you expect.

JaseC

Hylian7 said:
Wait what beef did people have with this? The fact that there was a schedule of times the wrenches would go out? I would have thought that would be the only logical way to handle it, to keep all 100 from going out in one day. They probably used an RNG to generate the scheduled times.

Valve continually said that the drops weren't timed, but it was eventually discovered that they in fact were.

JaseC

TheExodu5 said:

I didn't mean to say that they'll come outright and admit they fucked up, but when it's brought up in an interview or somesuch they will admit to it, as they have done in the past with, for example, Steam's initial phase and the episodic route with HL2.

I don't think anybody bothered to ask them about the Golden Wrench drops.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The real problem is that how this ARG played out has to be the way Valve wanted it to. They could have changed it at literally any time, otherwise.

They never had any intention of releasing it earlier than (maybe) tonight or early tomorrow morning.

JaseC

The Omega Man said:
Amnesia has the lowest completion bar and with a reason, who's going to play that game for more than an hour without going completely mad?

You don't have to play it, you simply leave it at the main menu.

Symphonic

Went to bed 7 hours ago and Audiosurf was estimated 4 hours from completion.

Said Audiosurf is still 1 hour from completion.

timehowdoesitwork.jpg

Jackl

The Omega Man said:
people on account suicide are doing it on the steam forums as well, I got spoiled as well, no place is safe, trust no one.

See you guys on Thursday, I'm done with this debacle. I already resigned myself to the Amazon deal on Saturday night.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
morningbus said:
The real problem is that how this ARG played out has to be the way Valve wanted it to. They could have changed it at literally any time, otherwise.

They never had any intention of releasing it earlier than (maybe) tonight or early tomorrow morning.
I think they really did give people a choice to get it released early, but stacked it against us to get it out any earlier than maybe a few hours before Tuesday. Releasing it before/during the weekend would've peeved the publisher/retailers.

loblaw said:

timehowdoesitwork.jpg
It's just more people realizing that they are doing nothing. So they've stopped. Also, it's late at night.

loblaw said:

timehowdoesitwork.jpg

They stopped focusing on it so it took much longer.

If Valve doesn't speed this up soon it's going to come out tomorrow for me... and that's not early.

loblaw said:

timehowdoesitwork.jpg

Proofs! Playing the games is the opposite to what we're supposed to do, and making the games harder the more people are playing is Valve's way of trying to hint that we should be trying something else.

¬________________________¬

TheExodu5

Banned
loblaw said:

timehowdoesitwork.jpg

A lot of those estimates use short term estimation techniques instead of approximating the long term curve. Sometimes we get an update every few minutes from the site, and sometimes, it's an hour in between updated. This throws off short term estimates by a lot. Such a sporadic update schedule also hints to the fact that this is all done manually by Valve.

Ozone

Remember when they made it seem like it would release Friday and they said "Release Portal 2 early" and you were like "No way!" and then they were all "We pretended we were going to give it to you?" That was great.

Top Bottom