• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
CaptainAhab said:
Maybe i'm just being a fanboy, but after the l4d2 debacle I can't imagine Valve would let the community get this pissed about something unless they were about to drop something so amazing that all would be forgiven.
L4D2 debacle? Purely anecdotal, but there is nearly a 100% turnover rate between the first and the second game on my friend list.

Baha

snoopeasystreet said:
Meet the Pyro would be great.

Meet the Medic is confirmed to be the next Meet the... video that they release going by recent visits to Valve HQ by various people. And yes, that would be awesome if they released early.

Sai-kun

Banned
Orellio said:
What makes you say that? If the numbers from the javascript code are anywhere close to accurate, games like Toki Tori and Bit.Trip that required 50-60k hours took off 40-60 minutes from the clock. With Audiosurf requiring 300k hours, it's reasonable to expect the timer to decrease a proportionate amount of time.

Why would people sink 1.2m hours into Killing Floor if that weren't the case?

Please spare me the "Valve is trollin you" responses.

See, it can't be more than 60 minutes, because that would make sense.

And we just can't have that.

MisterRueler

Neo Member
CaptainAhab said:
Maybe i'm just being a fanboy, but after the l4d2 debacle I can't imagine Valve would let the community get this pissed about something unless they were about to drop something so amazing that all would be forgiven.

By "debacle," you mean entitled fans whining about not getting exactly what they want? Yeah there was a supposed "boycott," but if I remember correctly, once the game launched, nobody really seemed to stick to their guns. Because, guess what, L4D2 was a good game.

Salmonax

The Omega Man said:
the raging press starts to pop up, from pcworld.com
That pretty much sums up the insanity of this ARG. Don't all Valve games usually launch at midnight the day of the release (Valve Time notwithstanding), meaning the scheduled release time for this game was always midnight tonight? And now it's actually slated to launch later than that thanks to the ARG?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Corky said:
Yikes, hopeful to the very end. Nothing less than a HL3 trailer would be "something amazing" by now.

Maybe a free hat for some.
TF2 hats for some, tiny American flags for others.

CaptainAhab said:
What L4D2 debacle?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
You know, I'm starting to get worried. This whole shit seems soo bizarre that I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrows release is US only, ( since the original release for EU is 19th ).

Oh man that would be something.

Baha

Salmonax said:
That pretty much sums up the insanity of this ARG. Don't all Valve games usually launch at midnight the day of the release (Valve Time notwithstanding), meaning the scheduled release time for this game was always midnight tonight? And now it's actually slated to launch later than that thanks to the ARG?

Usually yes but they've explicitly stated that it was slated for release on Tuesday morning. Look at the Portal 2 steam store page if you need confirmation (21-20 hours left before release).

XeroSauce

Orellio said:
What makes you say that? If the numbers from the javascript code are anywhere close to accurate, games like Toki Tori and Bit.Trip that required 50-60k hours took off 40-60 minutes from the clock. With Audiosurf requiring 300k hours, it's reasonable to expect the timer to decrease a proportionate amount of time.

Why would people sink 1.2m hours into Killing Floor if that weren't the case?

Please spare me the "Valve is trollin you" responses.

I'm not trolling, I'm just saying that I've lowered my expectations for this whole affair. I hope it's higher then sixty minutes, but after grinding BIT.TRIP over a day for a measly 30 minutes, I don't much care anymore.

MNC

Corky said:
You know, I'm starting to get worried. This whole shit seems soo bizarre that I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrows release is US only, ( since the original release for EU is 19th ).

Oh man that would be something.
but... original EU release is 21st. (Consoles)
US would be 19.

Salmonax

Baha said:
Usually yes but they've explicitly stated that it was slated for release on Tuesday morning. Look at the Portal 2 steam store page if you need confirmation (21-20 hours left before release).
So if one wanted to be cynical, one could argue they created an artificially late release timeframe just so they could pull it back to the usual one and attribute it to the ARG? I mean, a midnight launch tonight would be pretty comical.

XeroSauce

Holy shit. Are you seeing this?

20:20 - Calculations complete for BIT.TRIP BEAT. Recalculating a new launch projection...
10:50 - Engaging starch-based power cells

Potato count dropping RAPIDLY

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
MNC said:
but... original EU release is 21st. (Consoles)
US would be 19.

Oh year sorry that's what I meant of course, the 21st, lord have mercy on their souls if they try to keep me from playing the game until the 21st, not after all of this.

clav

XeroSauce said:

20:20 - Calculations complete for BIT.TRIP BEAT. Recalculating a new launch projection...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Broken Ska Record said:
What L4D2 debacle?
L4D2 was announced less than a year after L4D1 came out. A bunch of fans thought Valve releasing a sequel so quickly had to be a rush job or evil EA influence, and believed there was no way it would be more than glorified DLC with a "2" on the title.

Oreoleo

XeroSauce said:
I'm not trolling, I'm just saying that I've lowered my expectations for this whole affair. I hope it's higher then sixty minutes, but after grinding BIT.TRIP over a day for a measly 30 minutes, I don't much care anymore.

FWIW that last part about sparing me the troll comments was not directed solely at you. I knew what I was setting myself up for even as I was typing it out.

And the only reason I care so much again is because right now the timer is set to expire at 4:30am.. if Audiosurf knocked 2 or 3 hours off east coasters might actually get to play the game a little tonight.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
XeroSauce said:

Yep...

So, going by rate of Potato use, I reckon Portal 2 will unlock at 12PM PST, or 1 hour and 7 minutes away.

Oreoleo

XeroSauce said:

:O :O :O :O :O :O

WHAT DOES IT MEAN

Edit: In an instant, no one cares we've been waiting 3 days for this :p

Top Bottom