• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
fallengorn said:
They should post video of the Companion Cube hitting the button to release the game then.

xeocpk.gif

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
JaseC said:
I think you mean "her". The Cube had pink love hearts, after all.

"I'd just like to point out that you were given every opportunity to succeed. There was even going to be a party for you. A big party that all your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend the Companion Cube. Of course, he couldn't come because you murdered him. "

Of course, he could be a gender-bending cube.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the Companion Cube was 'male', at least was presented as male, I believe Glados says 'you murdered him' at the end.

EDIT: Beaten, and with an actual quote, schooled.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Stallion Free said:
Because men can't appreciate pink hearts.

GEEZ.

Of course not! This is the 1920s, after all.

ahoyhoy said:
"I'd just like to point out that you were given every opportunity to succeed. There was even going to be a party for you. A big party that all your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend the Companion Cube. Of course, he couldn't come because you murdered him. "

Of course, he could be a gender-bending cube.
StuBurns said:
I think the Companion Cube was 'male', at least was presented as male, I believe Glados says 'you murdered him' at the end.

EDIT: Beaten, and with an actual quote, schooled.

I stand corrected. I also really need to play through Portal again.

Edit: Just realised how awkward it would've been if the Cube was a "female" since I used it to replace Dale Cooper's head.

Evlar

Banned
butter_stick said:
Which sex was the cake? I think I remember a pink candle.
"The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake." Since Chell was female, the intended cake was female.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mister_Bubbles said:
If you're feeling dedicated, go for a single-session run through and see if you get the slowed-down audio at the end!

A job for tomorrow!

Edit: Oh, it's 12:30. Later today, then!

I played through Portal 1 yesterday for the first time in awhile. Took me 30 minutes or so.

I do hope the final boss (assuming there is one) in Portal 2 is a bit more fun to play though.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Mister_Bubbles said:
If you're feeling dedicated, go for a single-session run through and see if you get the slowed-down audio at the end!
I started a new game last night (doing the radio puzzles) but had to go sleepy time, this is something you can only do in a single-session?

I guess after I finish up with the radios, it would only take an hour to do it all again with it fresh on the brains.

Princess Skittles said:
I started a new game last night (doing the radio puzzles) but had to go sleepy time, this is something you can only do in a single-session?

I guess after I finish up with the radios, it would only take an hour to do it all again with it fresh on the brains.

ultron87 said he got some strange, slow and drawn-out audio that played over the ending part of the game when he finished it in one sitting, and wishes he'd recorded it so we didn't think he was crazy.

So there's either something there to uncover, or ultron is one potato short of an early launch.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Mister_Bubbles said:
ultron87 said he got some strange, slow and drawn-out audio that played over the ending part of the game when he finished it in one sitting, and wishes he'd recorded it so we didn't think he was crazy.

So there's either something there to uncover, or ultron is one potato short of an early launch.

When you kill Glados her voice will automatically adjust pitch downward and come out all slow-like. It may just have been whatever random taunt Glados was throwing out at the time he beat the game.

ultron87

Campster said:
When you kill Glados her voice will automatically adjust pitch downward and come out all slow-like. It may just have been whatever random taunt Glados was throwing out at the time he beat the game.

Nah. It's during the scene where you see the cake and during Still Alive.

As I said, I might just be an insane person. But if someone was going to play through Portal in preparation for the sequel I'd kindly ask you to keep an ear out for it if you beat it in a single session.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Campster said:
Oh, good, then I shall enjoy my refresh play without worry.

TheExodu5

Banned
KiKaL said:
Bit of topic but I remembered it being 1.6 also so had to check. According to wikipedia

"The Steam client was first made available for download in 2002 during the beta period for Counter-Strike 1.6."

I just remember initially getting in on the Steam Beta for a CS Beta

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic444.html

Just read the patch notes for 1.4 beta and look at the mention of Steam and Tracker. Wikipedia is wrong in this instance. The Steam beta for CS 1.4 was a closed beta, and not public however. I was part of the beta.

Steam
Steam is some sort of content delivery/download system. It includes automatic updating. If CS is updated, the server will download a new version from Valve and reboot. Clients will simply download the new .dll files and any new art needed. Maps/textures are downloaded as needed. If you only play on dust servers, for example, you won't download aztec.

update: Steam will not be included in the next CS or HL release.

This was in March 2002.

Steam, along with CS 1.6, was released publicly on September 15, 2003.

edit: nevermind, the beta wasn't even closed

Posted March 7, 2002
In an unprecedented move, Valve Software has apparently opened the beta test of Counter-Strike 1.4 and their new Steam content delivery system to the public. CS-Nation has instructions and downloads of the Steam client setup and the key generator that will allow you play C-S 1.4 and the latest versions of Half-Life, TeamFortress Classic and Day of Defeat after registration (and also try the new Tracker instant messaging system), while Planet Half-Life and Shacknews have additional mirrors. It is important to note that the Steam system is designed for broadband users only, and that this is a beta test rather than an official release.

CS-Nation

People didn't really know what it was back then. People just saw it as a slower alternative to WON, so it wasn't used very much. It had a lot of issues, especially Tracker. We didn't really see it as a content delivery system until the HL2 launch. I didn't even think it was going to be used for non Valve games for a while. Steam is a very different beast than it was back then.

flippeh

TheExodu5 said:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic444.html

Just read the patch notes for 1.4 beta and look at the mention of Steam and Tracker. Wikipedia is wrong in this instance. The Steam beta for CS 1.4 was a closed beta, and not public however. I was part of the beta.

This was in March 2002.

Steam, along with CS 1.6, was released publicly on September 15, 2003.

edit: nevermind, the beta wasn't even closed

Posted March 7, 2002

People didn't really know what it was back then. People just saw it as a slower alternative to WON, so it wasn't used very much. It had a lot of issues, especially Tracker. We didn't really see it as a content delivery system until the HL2 launch. I didn't even think it was going to be used for non Valve games for a while. Steam is a very different beast than it was back then.

I'm pretty sure there was a private test period. I remember using it before Tracker was functional/present in the software.

Jenga

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
It had a lot of issues, especially Tracker. We didn't really see it as a content delivery system until the HL2 launch. I didn't even think it was going to be used for non Valve games for a while. Steam is a very different beast than it was back then.
Although I was fairly neutral to it, the common thought back then was...steam fucking sucks.

It didn't start shaping up until after HL2. Maybe around 2005? Yeah I think so. Around 2006 public opinion of steam rose considerably

TheExodu5

Banned
flippeh said:
I'm pretty sure there was a private test period. I remember using it before Tracker was functional/present in the software.

Yeah I guess so. I seem to be remembering that myself. I didn't use it much though, since I was still playing 1.3 competitively at the time. A lot of us weren't happy with 1.4 at all back then.

Jenga said:
Although I was fairly neutral to it, the common thought back then was...steam fucking sucks.

It didn't start shaping up until after HL2. Maybe around 2005? Yeah I think so. Around 2006 public opinion of steam rose considerably

It started shaping up when the Friends feature actually started working. I remember, even after the HL2 launch, the Friends servers were always offline. Steam really wasn't ready for HL2. My experiences with Steam were never really bad though...HL2 unlocked in about a half hour for me (whereas it took some users closer to 12 hours). I just didn't really think much of it at the time. I was a competitive CS player, and a casual gamer otherwise. I was younger and didn't really have any insight into the industry whatsoever. It's kind of sad, because I missed out on a lot of interesting discussion and speculation.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Jenga said:

It only really clicked for me after I got the Orange Box (which was, coincidentally, when I switched to a PC-first gamer).

the raging press starts to pop up, from pcworld.com

Play The Potato Sack, Help Release Portal 2 Late?
Portal 2 was supposed to come out tomorrow. In the U.S., that usually means 12:01am EDT (in this case, on Tuesday April 19). But as of this morning, the launch time still looks to be nearly a full day away, clocking in at just after 4:00am EDT, or four hours past hour zero of the launch day. That’s early in the morning, granted, but a betrayal of sorts for those who paid Valve extra money on the premise the game might activate last week or this weekend.

whole article here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/225442/play_the_potato_sack_help_release_portal_2_late.html

Maybe i'm just being a fanboy, but after the l4d2 debacle I can't imagine Valve would let the community get this pissed about something unless they were about to drop something so amazing that all would be forgiven.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
CaptainAhab said:
Maybe i'm just being a fanboy, but after the l4d2 debacle I can't imagine Valve would let the community get this pissed about something unless they were about to drop something so amazing that all would be forgiven.

Yikes, hopeful to the very end. Nothing less than a HL3 trailer would be "something amazing" by now.

Maybe a free hat for some.

Oreoleo

XeroSauce said:
60 minutes tops.

What makes you say that? If the numbers from the javascript code are anywhere close to accurate, games like Toki Tori and Bit.Trip that required 50-60k hours took off 40-60 minutes from the clock. With Audiosurf requiring 300k hours, it's reasonable to expect the timer to decrease a proportionate amount of time.

Why would people sink 1.2m hours into Killing Floor if that weren't the case?

Please spare me the "Valve is trollin you" responses.

Orellio said:
What makes you say that? If the numbers from the javascript code are anywhere close to accurate, games like Toki Tori and Bit.Trip that required 50-60k hours took off 40-60 minutes from the clock. With Audiosurf requiring 300k hours, it's reasonable to expect the timer to decrease a proportionate amount of time.

Why would people sink 1.2m hours into Killing Floor if that weren't the case?

Please spare me the "Valve is trollin you" responses.

But they are :p

Top Bottom