• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Gandie

I don't think the objective is to consume all the potatoes (which would mean earlier effort by the community would've been counterproductive) but rather to fill up the bars which is happening way faster thanks to the overclocked GlaDos.

shigsy

So who else in Europe will be FUMING when this all turns out to be a US only thing and we get it Thursday as originally planned regardless?

Zomba13 said:
From wiki:
gman.jpg

Hmmmm?
bo9cN.jpg

TimmiT

Unless the rate the potatoes are drained goes faster, this won't matter much for me. I live in the Netherlands, so the game wouldn't unlock until tommorow morning, and because of school I probably wouldn't be able to play it until the evening.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Cindres said:
Ok i'm sure i can see the G-Man's face after that picture, probably just trying to convince myself too hard though.

But i definitely saw the potato counter start decreasing faster!
I think it just looks faster because it changed from decreasing in threes to decreasing in ones.

This has definitely turned into a huge fucking troll.

Were they not planning on releasing this at midnight or something? Why all this trouble just to make it obvious they are releasing at midnight?

KScorp

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
This has definitely turned into a huge fucking troll.

Were they not planning on releasing this at midnight or something? Why all this trouble just to make it obvious they are releasing at midnight?

Marketing.

Owensboro

Backfoggen said:
The countdowns close to hitting 100%, everyone's F5'ing like crazy, suddenly the page turns black. "Hello Mr. Freeman"
INTERNET ASPOLDE
I would love for this to be exactly how it ends. Everyone gets trolled by the king of all trolls: the G-Man.

StuBurns

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
D) It doesn't matter what we would have done up until this point, Valve would have fudged the math to launch the game precisely when they had planned to launch it.
It does seem like that. They could have calculated the potato consumption rate to be a multiplier to have the game release exactly when they wanted up until this countdown started.

JKTrix

So Kotaku got an email from GLaDOS with a hex code that lead to a Facebook page. That facebook page then posted this code
119 104 101 110 32 116 104 101 32 112 117 114 99 104 97 115 101 32 105 115 32 120 119 110 102 100 115 49 48 48 48 32 99 100 115 107 108 101 105 54 226 133 162 226 153 128 114 101 108 101 97 115 101

which decodes to some junk like
when the purchase is xwnfds1000 cdsklei6��release

TheExodu5

Banned
Twig said:
Yep. You have. :D

Well your head is made of wood. It's hard to get facts to stick in there.

StuBurns said:
It does seem like that. They could have calculated the potato consumption rate to be a multiplier to have the game release exactly when they wanted up until this countdown started.

Yep. Like I've said before, I'm pretty postiive this indicates that they simply cannot release the game before the 19th due to legal reasons, or partnerships with retailers.

It was a really cool arg, and I think the potato countdown is an awesome way to end it, but the whole "buy our games to release Portal 2 faster" is peeving me even more at this point, seeing as how they never intended it to have any real impact whatsoever.

badcrumble said:
It's unlocking at 12 AM EST and the whole 'potatoes' thing is pure nonsense and a hilarious troll because this whole thing is incredibly opaque and impossible to interpret and/or predict.

seems to be, and hay look! disappointment is back. will play this tomorrow so

EDIT: :lol so late

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just so we have a point of reference, from that estimate website, these are the current rates of completion:

Audiosurf: 1.26% (or 1.27%, I've noticed it going back and forth)/hr
Defense Grid: .78%/hr
Killing Floor: .70%/hr
Amnesia: .62%/hr
The Ball: 1.02%/hr

SamBishop

Banned
I can't wait until you guys can get in. Having press copies since Saturday and not being able to share in the glory with you has been torture.

Top Bottom