• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

LaneDS

Cindres said:
Has this text changed...? I'm sure it was 2 paragraphs before.

WSLRw.png

Looks the same to me?

LProtag

I think it's that the potatoes are speeding up the process now that they are being used, but once they run out they'll stop giving the boost?

Who knows. Not like I can play this until I get back home for the weekend, because I had it shipped there for some reason.

Tacitus_

Firebrand said:
Thursday? According to the Steam store it's supposed to unlock 20 hours from now.

I think consoles for some reason release later this week in Europe? Haven't really followed console release dates for ages.

Well I guess everyone should post a youtube link to the final countdown all over again, because at least time it might be true.

I on the other hand plan to play some Portal and make mashed potatoes for dinner.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't access the store page. I clicked store, went to community, asked me to log in again (wat) and it said I hadn't logged in for a long time or before on this pc (WTF) so it sent me an email with a validation code, and I logged in, then I clicked on the steam page again and it redirected me to the community tab again for me to log in again.

WTF IS GOING ON.

Just a nice gentle word: don't get your hopes up, people. We have 425,000 potatoes left. They are going at a rate of 12 potatoes per second. That makes it 35,416 seconds people it goes to zero.

35,416 seconds is 590 minutes which is 9 hours and 50 minutes. That's 12:40am.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
morningbus said:
Update (italics represent positive changes):

Audiosurf: 1.28%/hr
Defense Grid: .78%/hr
Killing Floor: .71%/hr
Amnesia: .62%/hr
The Ball: 1.04%/hr
Super Meat Boy: .81%/hr (somehow forgot this one originally)

Update 2 (if anyone else wants to join in, be my guest. I won't do it again until I see massive gains):

*Audiosurf: 1.29%/hr
*Defense Grid: .79%/hr
*Killing Floor: .72%/hr
*Amnesia: .63%/hr
*The Ball: 1.05%/hr
*Super Meat Boy: .82%/hr

Tacitus_ said:
I think consoles for some reason release later this week in Europe? Haven't really followed console release dates for ages.

No you're right, games usually release on a Friday in the UK.

For valve games, it's universal.

clav

shagg_187 said:
Just a nice gentle word: don't get your hopes up, people. We have 425,000 potatoes left. They are going at a rate of 12 potatoes per second. That makes it 35,416 seconds people it goes to zero.

35,416 seconds is 590 minutes which is 9 hours and 50 minutes. That's close to Midnight.
PST

I wrote a similar prediction pages ago, so yes.

traveler

Not Wario
shagg_187 said:

Oh yeah. Doi. It's 60 to a minute, not 100. I feel stupid.

aesop

Looks like the potatoes are being consumed to speed up the CPU process. I imagine if the bars fill up before the potatoes are all gone, the game will release.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
enzo_gt said:
I can't access the store page. I clicked store, went to community, asked me to log in again (wat) and it said I hadn't logged in for a long time or before on this pc (WTF) so it sent me an email with a validation code, and I logged in, then I clicked on the steam page again and it redirected me to the community tab again for me to log in again.

WTF IS GOING ON.

Same thing happened to me the other day (minus Steam Guard), but it quickly fixed itself. Try deleting the ClientRegistry.blob file in the Steam folder.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
shagg_187 said:

You're not paying enough attention. The potatoes are not now the countdown. The potatoes are auxiliary power to increase the rate at which the progress bars on the page increase. While the potatoes are counting down, playing potato pack games is more effective.

LM4sure

Banned
Htown said:
You're not paying enough attention. The potatoes are not now the countdown. The potatoes are auxiliary power to increase the rate at which the progress bars on the page increase. While the potatoes are counting down, playing potato pack games is more effective.

ah...ok. this is good news. I don't own any of those games so everyone that does should play. mkay?

Tacitus_

So 13:30 to release as of this writing minus maybe an hour or two due to overclocking....

Yeah, I'll just go to bed and wake up fresh to a morning full of Portal.

clav

Lasthope106 said:
Don't forget the time goes down after each game completes!
Yeah the potato countdown predictions don't change unless someone at Valve subtracts 3000 seconds or something from var g_updatedEstimate for each game completion.

snoopeasystreet said:
Wait, Did it always say "Active Test Subjects: NINE" at the top of the page? Could have sworn it said ZERO.
Yep. It did say zero before:

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/portal2/gladosathome/numbers/zero.png

Top Bottom