• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Videogame communities are the fucking worst. The entitlement and rage at something not launching early enough before the planned release date because you guys got too serious about a silly online game is troubling.
Exactly, I've been enjoying the reactions people have over this.

If anything, the ARG got me to buy Audiosurf and I've been playing it for quite a bit just for the mindless fun.

I even stopped playing Borderlands just to see how Judas played.

There is no reasonable way to be disappointed in something not coming out earlier than planned. It's absolutely insane to think that way.

I was bummed when it didn't come out on Friday when the countdown ended, but I got over it. The burning anger going around the Internet right now over this thing is ridiculous.
I don't sense any burning anger here. And yes there is a reasonable way to be disappointed.

Ferrio

Banned
Love this "entitlement" bullshit being tossed around.

We get a banner about portal 2 releasing early if we work for it. People work for it, some people pay money, there's organization etc. Release doesn't release early (in all practical senses), so yes people have the right to disappointed and even upset.

There is no reasonable way to be disappointed in something not coming out earlier than planned. It's absolutely insane to think that way.

I was bummed when it didn't come out on Friday when the countdown ended, but I got over it. The burning anger going around the Internet right now over this thing is ridiculous.

page_bg_english.png

as people have said many times before. this is the reason i am disappointed that the game is "only" releasing on time.

is it really that hard to understand?

EDIT: ^what Ferrio said

Crunched said:
The game could release this coming Friday and I wouldn't be any worse off. The grind sucks, that's what the complaints are about, and that the entire "final test" was planned out and timed by Valve.

Then a) don't grind. It was absolutely clear beforehand what was necessary to complete these game bars.

And b) so what if it's planned out? The launch clock sure as shit is being moved back as people grind away at the idle screen. And actual gameplay -- PERISH THE THOUGHT -- is being rewarded with this overclocking window.

electristan said:
page_bg_english.png

as people have said many times before. this is the reason i am disappointed that the game is "only" releasing on time.

But it's not just releasing on time. It is releasing earlier.

I get the frustration at this whole thing being scripted out, but it's pretty clear we're all getting this game a little after 5pm today, which is fucking great. To all employed people, we just got the game a whole day early.

electristan said:
page_bg_english.png

Steam games usually hit around noon the day of. Even a midnight release would be like 12-15 hours early.

Treefingers said:
This is the worst counter-argument ever.

No, it isn't. Don't grind. Done. You can simply wait until the designated launch time and everything would have been absolutely normal. You fucked up by not paying attention.

I get the frustration at this whole thing being scripted out, but it's pretty clear we're all getting this game a little after 5pm today, which is fucking great. To all employed people, we just got the game a whole day early.

Why a little after 5? I hope so!

WEGGLES

5pm, which timezone? Not EST, right? I don't see this finishing in 75 mins.

Red

dollartaco said:
No, it isn't. Don't grind. Done. You can simply wait until the designated launch time and everything would have been absolutely normal. You fucked up by not paying attention.
Okay guys he's right it's all our fault

Different times zones.

Zomba13

Since Doug (the real doug) has entered the chat it's gone crazy with fuckwads spamming it.

Anyway, apparently Dougley/Glados etc weren't him at all, his account was taken off him for that stuff. He said he'd not said any of the ARG stuff.

taoofjord

Zombie James said:
Oh, damn... this is the first Valve game I've preloaded... hope that doesn't happen.

I'm trying to look at this whole thing fairly, but seriously, I think you're spot on. In the end, I don't think it mattered what we did. Valve screwed us on this.

The whole thing was a pipe dream, though... they could have never released it digitally over the weekend without having announced their intention of doing so beforehand. They would have pissed off all the retailers.

dollartaco said:
Glad you're man enough to admit that you are accountable for your own decisions. A lot of people on here are not.
So you're saying if you don't like the grind, don't participate. He's saying the grind sucks and is a disappointment after the incredible ARG, how does what you're saying counter that?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Videogame communities are the fucking worst. The entitlement and rage at something not launching early enough before the planned release date because you guys got too serious about a silly online game is troubling.

No, people like you are making video game communities "the fucking worst", with your dismissal of anyone caring enough to have an opinion on any matter. Entitlement, whiners, u mad, haters gonna hate, all that shit is the fucking worst. If people don't complain about something like this, Valve won't know it squandered the good will built up with this ARG. Reactions are important; the positive and the negative. Go away.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
To all employed people, we just got the game a whole day early.
I just hope that is the case. Literally nothing would piss me off more than to have seen people do all this work, experience all these highs and lows, and the end result is that some australians get to play the game early. Don't even want to think about it really, so let's just say I'm happy that it's looking like it will be playable early in the parts of the world where it really counts -- anything else would be bullshit.

StuBurns

Banned
Treefingers said:
This is the worst counter-argument ever.
Is it? From that start of this 'phase' all indications were that it was going to take a really long time to get this done and the chance of playing considerably early was slim. If you decide to commit after that, regardless of how much someone might feel cheated, it's their fault, there was a very easy point at which to walk away.

Top Bottom