• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Nabs

I really hope the overclock gets stronger as it goes on, because KF will still require a ton of time to complete.

Baha said:
Pretty much this. If the potatoes reaching zero meant the game released then that would render the bars we've been filling over the past 3 days useless. They're there to help speed up the bars and if we're lucky, get it released before midnight tonight.

It has less to do with luck and more to do with finishing off high-CPU games like AudioSurf and Killing Floor. I believe the higher the CPU/hour count needed to complete them, the more time gets knocked off the projected launch timer.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Baha said:
Pretty much this. If the potatoes reaching zero meant the game released then that would render the bars we've been filling over the past 3 days useless. They're there to help speed up the bars and if we're lucky, get it released before midnight tonight.
Hopefully, there's enough people around now to idle to make it happen.

Blizzard

Banned
Belfast said:
Yeah, I've been playing Audiosurf with the Steam window up in the background. It has refreshed itself a couple of times, but I was in the middle of a song, unable to determine what it meant.
If I recall correctly from the webpage source, it is set to automatically refresh itself (so updated bar positions are shown) every 1000 seconds.

Oreoleo

CrookedRain said:
Okay, maybe we are confusing each other here. Supposedly it is doubling the rate at which the bars are filling, but the overclock is only active until the potatoes run out.

Okay, that makes sense. I hadn't heard that flat double rate before, but cool. I was suggesting that as more potatoes get depleted, the rate the bars filled would increase, in line with the 100k potatoes = 1x multiplier that I'd seen thrown around previously. I'm probably wrong, but hopefully that at least made sense this time.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Corky said:
is it? It's still like 10ish hours away and the counter was on 10ish hours before this supposed "overdrive" started,
Goto any of the game specific pages for the games that haven't been done:
http://cpucount.zapto.org/

The Work Factor is falling, and it doesn't look like it is going to stop. It may even go faster once one of the games finish.

Lime

k3ozzc8bl.gif

STAT = Valve
O'neal = Gamers
Ball = Potatoes.

Doopliss

dollartaco said:
It has less to do with luck and more to do with finishing off high-CPU games like AudioSurf and Killing Floor. I believe the higher the CPU/hour count needed to complete them, the more time gets knocked off the projected launch timer.
TWEotW was the easiest game to max out by far, and it knocked off more time than some of the other (harder) games. Only a matter of minutes, but it makes that theory unlikely.

Baha

Orellio said:
And they'd be worse games because of it.

Exactly, the whole using employee families for product testing hasn't failed yet. I'd shudder to think what it'd be like if that product testing was outsourced and focus grouped.

syoaran

Baha said:
Exactly, the whole using employee families for product testing hasn't failed yet. I'd shudder to think what it'd be like if that product testing was outsourced and focus grouped.

The first would make the game appear on shelves sooner, but with most of the story already spoiled. The second would probably destroy the fabric of reality.

loblaw said:
Unlikely. Their were only 9 people taken in the process of the ARG, and they're all playing it right now.

Didn't somebody check the numbers folder and say there were a lot more numbers to play with?

Even a "k" for thousands.

I don't understand how Valve has done any wrong with the ARG. It's not really about Portal 2 and moreso just about expanding the Sack games to larger audiences.

Portal 2 is going to launch on the day it was set to launch? Well fuck! Nuke the magazine racks bitches.

Blizzard

Banned
Baha said:
Are you saying that Valve has a bring-your-daughter-to-work day?!

Symphonic

DoctorWho said:
Didn't somebody check the numbers folder and say there were a lot more numbers to play with?

It might start tracking people playing when the game is actually released. They're not even using the number assets right now.

Ok, so, quick rundown.

1) Potatoes are being consumed to increase the speed at which individual game bars increase. (This is why it's being referred to as an overclock.)

2) While the potatoes are being consumed, game bars will fill much faster than normal.

3) Once a game bar is completed, it knocks time off of the projected launch.

Summary: Games still need to be completed in order to move back the launch time. The potatoes just make it go much faster.

Mikey Jr.

DoctorWho said:

Right, the k would make sense. Wondering what the hell the point of the k was.

Yeah, the site is definitely gonna update the background the with amount of unique players who have played Portal 2.

Thats what I think.

Salmonax

Another countdown. Quite possibly still leading up to a midnight launch. And people freaking out all over again. Valve, you magnificently sadistic bastards.

DarthWufei said:
I don't understand how Valve has done any wrong with the ARG. It's not really about Portal 2 and moreso just about expanding the Sack games to larger audiences.

Portal 2 is going to launch on the day it was set to launch? Well fuck! Nuke the magazine racks bitches.
Well, that's WHY people are so upset I guess. Because Valvle made this looks Portal 2 oriented when at the end it seems to be more about selling extra copies of a pack of games. IT's been interesting and cryptic but I feel sorry for the people who have been going crazy on this for a week or more just to get the game released about 8 hours early.

Top Bottom