• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

gregor7777 said:
OK I can see where that fit into the discussion.

We're on a message board talking about descending potatoes and bars filling. All this controlled by a rampant A.I. that has nothing better to do than keep us from playing a video game. Do you honestly expect reasonable discourse at this point?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Flib said:
The Ball seems to be finishing up super quickly, may even beat Audiosurf.
Nah, Audiosurf should finish up in 20 minutes, the Ball is still a good hour away.

Nope. People did manage to play just enough of the games and collect just enough potatoes for the game to launch at midnight, though. Amazing how that worked out.
Midnight EST instead of Midnight PST, PROGRESS!

Ferrio

Banned
Zombie James said:
Nope. People did manage to play just enough of the games and collect just enough potatoes for the game to launch at midnight, though. Amazing how that worked out.

Ya to coincide with valve's usual launch window, we're just that good!

Zombie James said:

Problem is that it's midnight valve time. I fully expect the countdown to end, the countdown page to initiliaze and load portal 2, and then for the pre-loads to fail finishing for a few hours.

Flib

Snapshot King said:
Really? I missed the jump. It went from what to what in about how long?

Not sure, but it was definitely really noticeable. That or I'm going crazy, which is a possibility.

DoctorWho said:
We're on a message board talking about descending potatoes and bars filling. All this controlled by a rampant A.I. that has nothing better to do than keep us from playing a video game. Do you honestly expect reasonable discourse at this point?

You have me there sir.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
InsertNameHere said:
Yes, we've all canceled our preorders because the game isn't coming out early.
I will admit I somewhat wish I didn't get a two pack with someone since I could of bought it at Best Buy for far less. Oh well!

Snapshot King said:
Problem is that it's midnight valve time. I fully expect the countdown to end, the countdown page to initiliaze and load portal 2, and then for the pre-loads to fail finishing for a few hours.

If people haven't preloaded yet, that's their problem.

Drkirby said:
Nah, Audiosurf should finish up in 20 minutes, the Ball is still a good hour away.

Midnight EST instead of Midnight PST, PROGRESS!
Oh my God we've traveled through time!!! You there, boy in the yard, what day is it?

IceMarker

I'm in #PotatoFoolsDay chat right now and infected user Douglas is in it, apparently he rejected Valve's offer to go down and test with the other eight subjects, I made a joke about how the number should be EIGHT instead of NINE and he said that doesn't count him out of being one of the nine.

At the moment it seems 'he can't say anything'. It seems Valve has a lot of NDAs on his ass.

Zombie James said:
If people haven't preloaded yet, that's their problem.

No, I mean, as in, my pre-load is complete, the countdown will end, but the game won't actually unlock and download the remaining chunks for several hours because of valve time. Happened with every big release I've pre-loaded with Valve the past couple years, it'd be funny if they hype up this count down clock and they fuck it up again.

MrMister said:
I'm in #PotatoFoolsDay chat right now and infected user Douglas is in it, apparently he rejected Valve's offer to go down and test with the other eight subjects, I made a joke about how the number should be EIGHT instead of NINE and he said that doesn't count him out of being one of the nine.

At the moment it seems 'he can't say anything'. It seems Valve has a lot of NDAs on his ass.

EP3 CONFIRMED!!!!

MrMister said:

What would he say? Don't the "NINE" simply get to play the game a little earlier than the rest of us? What more could there be?

Snapshot King said:
No, I mean, as in, my pre-load is complete, the countdown will end, but the game won't actually unlock and download the remaining chunks for several hours because of valve time. Happened with every big release I've pre-loaded with Valve the past couple years, it'd be funny if they hype up this count down clock and they fuck it up again.

Oh, damn... this is the first Valve game I've preloaded... hope that doesn't happen.

Red

DarthWufei said:
I don't understand how Valve has done any wrong with the ARG. It's not really about Portal 2 and moreso just about expanding the Sack games to larger audiences.

Portal 2 is going to launch on the day it was set to launch? Well fuck! Nuke the magazine racks bitches.
Man people are still saying this? You still don't get it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Zombie James said:
Kindly be quiet unless you're actually paying attention.

Jinaar

I wonder if there will be a Valve Post-Mortem on this by Gamasutra or someone else in the industry. Would be interesting to find out what their mission was, how it got implemented and how it was received.

Obviously, mission was to rage the masses. Yum!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BobTheFork said:
Oh my God we've traveled through time!!! You there, boy in the yard, what day is it?
It is the 21st Century.

Hmmmm... Switch to some Scandinavian country's download server now, or hope university grade internet is enough to download before the servers get bogged down...

Regardless of the timing, there's a really good chance Valve fucks up the Steam launch anyhow. We're all forgetting Valve time here. Maybe that's the idea.

Baha

MrMister said:

Didn't he troll us on Thursday? I seem to remember he left a bunch of cryptic remarks and tried slowing the ARG progress (even admitted to it in steam chat "who wants to play Decay?").

Videogame communities are the fucking worst. The entitlement and rage at something not launching early enough before the planned release date because you guys got too serious about a silly online game is troubling.

Crunched said:
Man people are still saying this? You still don't get it.

I get it and agree. It was clear on Friday that this was going to be a long process that would last until Monday morning at the earliest. Then people started to speculate and hype themselves based on no evidence. And so now they (you?) are disappointed. But the game is releasing early.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Videogame communities are the fucking worst. The entitlement and rage at something not launching early enough before the planned release date because you guys got too serious about a silly online game is troubling.
I don't think anyone here feels entitled. There's something called disappointment however, you might wanna look that up.

Doopliss

DoctorWho said:
What would he say? Don't the "NINE" simply get to play the game a little earlier than the rest of us? What more could there be?
I had got the impression that the 'infected users' were ARG characters, not real people. Does anyone know about that?

Baha

B-Dex said:
Because everyone on steam is a weak scaredy cat we won't get Portal 2 early! (Damn Amnesia)

You can just launch the game and leave it on the launcher and it'll still count...

Treefingers said:
I don't think anyone here feels entitled. There's something called disappointment however, you might wanna look that up.
There is no reasonable way to be disappointed in something not coming out earlier than planned. It's absolutely insane to think that way.

I was bummed when it didn't come out on Friday when the countdown ended, but I got over it. The burning anger going around the Internet right now over this thing is ridiculous.

Ahahaha good try. But you have to know that this joke has already been trampled into the ground right? Well I still had a good chuckle.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I thinking it's a more generational thing than something unique to one sub-culture.

Red

dollartaco said:
I get it and agree. It was clear on Friday that this was going to be a long process that would last until Monday morning at the earliest. Then people started to speculate and hype themselves based on no evidence. And so now they (you?) are disappointed. But the game is releasing early.
The game could release this coming Friday and I wouldn't be any worse off. The grind sucks, that's what the complaints are about, and that the entire "final test" was planned out and timed by Valve.

Very few of us ever complained about Portal 2 not being released early. What would the logic in that be? We were complaining about the anticlimactic end to the game, and the pointless bar-filling over the weekend.

Top Bottom