• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
shagg_187 said:
I believe the suggestion of us stopping was the perfect resolution. If we stop and the numbers still roll in then this is beyond shit.

Feel free to try and organize and monitor that...

shuyin_

Banned
Zefah said:
What the hell?

There is no one to blame but yourself if you got hyped up for a Friday, or even a weekend release, neither of which were even hinted at by Valve.
This: "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM" and a big countdown on apertuescience.com prove you wrong. Yes, Valve actually hinted (or led to believe, if you prefer the term) at a friday release. Anything else?

Doopliss

So I'm gonna need some sleep tonight, and I'd rather get it over with while the game's still not out. Any guesses on how long it's safe to sleep so I can wake up just before launch?

Red

Is it really an ARG at this point anyway? It's not really a game anymore, at least nothing more than a waiting game. And there's nothing "alternate reality" about it. The goal has been listed on the glados@home page for four days. In an ARG you typically are achieving something outside the scope of whatever is being marketed. This is too direct to be considered an alternate reality.

Kyaw

Corky said:
<3
Hey I thought we'd be rocking Co-op by now. Oh well that's gotta wait I guess :(

Yeah even more since i gotta go to school tomorrow for English revision class during the Easter Holidays. So no Portal 2 until i get back home at about 2.30PM. :(

Oreoleo

Borgnine said:
But it's midnight PST right now. At least 1 more game will get finished by then. Likely more.

whatchapelle.gif

Edit: okay I'm an idiot and see what you're saying now. I'll leave the gif anyway.

Baha

Crunched said:
Is it really an ARG at this point anyway? It's not really a game anymore, at least nothing more than a waiting game. And there's nothing "alternate reality" about it. The goal has been listed on the glados@home page for four days. In an ARG you typically are achieving something outside the scope of whatever is being marketed. This is too direct to be considered an alternate reality.

Everything that went down before Friday was an ARG. There were clues out in the wild and people did travel to find them.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nappuccino said:
I really don't see that happening beyond (maybe) some challenge maps. Even if l4d2 "scandal" never happened... Portal just doesn't seem like its as modular as l4d or tf2.

edit: I mean... did hl2 ever get free extra content (you can count lost coast if you really want to)? or the episodes? Their single player games are well delivered (albeit sometimes they need time to fix simple issues like sounds skipping) but they aren't given bunches of free extra content.

Portal 2 seems like it would be incredibly modular to me. Especially when you incorporate the co-op aspect of the game. Peolpe are going to want more than 6 hours of co-op play time. An online community could easily form around the game.

Corky said:
Erhm, the key point of your statement isn't the "games" part it's the "tricked" part and yes you should be mad.

You know I've got it good when I'm told I should be mad about getting a bunch of free content for a bunch of games I adore and then getting something else I want really bad a few hours ahead of schedule.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Kyaw said:
Yeah even more since i gotta go to school tomorrow for English revision class during the Easter Holidays. So no Portal 2 until i get back home at about 2.30PM. :(

But Steven Wright is in the game, he is english. ENGLISH!

TouchMyBox said:
You know I've got it good when I'm told I should be mad about getting a bunch of free content for a bunch of games I adore and then getting something else I want really bad a few hours ahead of schedule.

I envy your situation

Nab

I'm not even going to get Portal 2 (yet) and I've been following this thread with much joy. That part where people thought doing nothing was the secret answer was my favourite bit.

I'm going to miss this...

Blizzard

Banned
Zefah said:
An early release was hinted, but never outright stated or promised.

Early does not necessarily equal "Friday or the weekend" when the formal release date is Tuesday.
Wouldn't you say that ARG clue about the release date and time = a date and time on Friday would be a hint? Followed by preloading the game for everyone a week before the release date? Followed by a countdown timer to the date and time on Friday that matched what was in the ARG clue about the release date = that time?

Which was immediately followed, on Friday, by a big banner ad in the Steam store saying that people could help release the game early. They did not promise it on Friday, but surely you can see that the first 2-3 things at least HINT that a weekend release would be possible.

They didn't do it and I found it disappointing, and a disappointing potential end to the ARG. That's my opinion.

I cannot get the Cheat Engine with Audiosurf running, I do exactly what the wiki says but the value automatically resets when I click back into Audiosurf. I haven't done a lot of Audiosurf before so getting these challanges the normal way will be very difficult for me, somebody any tips?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TheExodu5 said:
Portal 2 seems like it would be incredibly modular to me. Especially when you incorporate the co-op aspect of the game. Peolpe are going to want more than 6 hours of co-op play time. An online community could easily form around the game.

I'm going to have to stock up on dramamine...

StuBurns

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Gamers felt entitled because Valve had instilled the expectation of long life and post-launch support for their games. The release of L4D2 was breaking that expectation.

It didn't bother me that much since the price was worthwhile for the content I was getting, but I can understand that it would have bothered some people.
It was oddly paralleled with Street Fighter 4 actually. SSF4 was announced, and people were decrying the lack of a DLC-upgrade option, and Capcom used the same defense Valve did as a justification, and both did do good on their word after the second release. I can't say either significantly hurt the developers, but it was surprising from Valve. I was really surprised to hear Gabe say in an interview that he didn't see any backlash coming, from a guy who clearly has a brilliant mind for a number of areas, to not see that coming seems bizarre.

TheExodu5 said:

Well... I haven't played the game yet, obviously, but it seems rather story dependent. Challenge rooms make more sense then full fledged extensions to the game.

Rainier

Nab said:
I'm not even going to get Portal 2 (yet) and I've been following this thread with much joy. That part where people thought doing nothing was the secret answer was my favourite bit..
At this point, doing nothing is the appropriate answer.

Luigison

Okay guys. I'm going to go get some actual work done, but leave SMB going just in case it matters. I'll play through Portal tonight, get some sleep, then enjoy Portal 2 tomorrow. So long and thanks for all the potatoes.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Kyaw said:
Probably no poems or exam questions though... just test chambers...

Last chamber requires you to recite an entire shakespeare play while a bomb ticks away and Gabe..I mean Glados laughs maniacally

TouchMyBox said:
VALVe tricked us into playing awesome games! Grrrr...
Tricked nevertheless. I wouldve played these games regardless, but not this weekend. When they broke the 4th wall and blogged about it and posted it in steam, I was certain we'll get weekend release. When people said that potatoes are multipliers, I crammed my ass off to get them. When people said you can't idle, I played even more.

I don't care about potato or achievements or TF2 hats. I just wanted to support this game cause I love verything Valve is doing about it, integration steam on PS3, giving free steam copy, custom maps for PS3/PC, Mac support and more.

These are the things that draw me to Valve and this piece of shit ARG is making me feel disappointed, yet I am and always will be optimistic about their moves.

Next time, don't state that these games will help release this early. I don't sense an early release. Remember, early release is not 5 minutes earlier. You can't give me the "ohhhh they didnt say how early *trollface*" bullshit cause valve is smarter than this.

Sadly, Valve lost a sale here for I was going to buy a PC copy and PS3 copy. Now I'm just sticking with PC copy and PS3 copy can wait (yes, I know about PS3 copy having PC copy. I preordered via Steam in hopes of getting it early).

TheExodu5 said:
And the L4D2 situation has hurt their reputation. Before L4D2, I had assumed every Valve title would receive incredible support post-launch. After L4D2, Valve chipped at the L4D1 userbase, making it nothing more than a periodical console release.

Now? They've at least supported L4D2 quite a bit, so my faith in them has been partially restored. But I will be skeptical that any new title will be heavily supported post launch. Before L4D2, I would have assumed that Portal 2 would get a ton of free updates, new challenges, a post-campaign story, etc... Now? I hope so, but I can't be so sure.
I think that's a bit unfair. Valve are still one of the best at supporting their games. HL2 and Episode One got Steam achievements (and HL2 got HDR added to some maps). TF2 is the absolute king of post-release support, with the vast and overwhelming majority of its content being post-release. L4D1 still got support after L4D2's release, long after most companies would have cut it off. L4D2 got plenty of updates. Portal had the changed ending to lead up into Portal 2's announcement.

Thinking that Portal 2 was going to get a "post-campaign story" but that the L4D2 situation means that Valve is now more likely to abandon post-release support is rather extreme.

shigsy

Chris Murphy said:
NANA NAA NAAAA, NANAA NA NA NAAAA, NANA NA NAAAA, NANA NA NA NA NA NAAAAA NANA NAAAA NANA NA NA NA NA NA NAAANA NAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

*sings that out loud to check for accuracy*..... Spot on! Good job! :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
shuyin_ said:
I am just simply astonished that some people defend this. I also have this idea that the same people defending Valve now are the same people that complained about things like EA's "if we get 1million likes on FB, we'll give you BF3 trailer". I bet they're the same, which is pure hypocrisy.

I don't see them as the same at all.

The release date for Portal 2 has been set for Tuesday for quite some time now. It's not like Valve never had a release date and then suddenly came up with this ARG thing and said they won't release Portal 2 until it's been completed.

As far as I'm aware, EA didn't announce that they would release the trailer on X date, but then come up with the Facebook plan and say they would release the trailer early if they got 1 million likes. I didn't really pay attention to that situation, but didn't EA pretty much hold the trailer hostage unless they got 1 million likes?

How is that in any way similar to this? Portal 2 is coming out by the date that was promised, possible even a bit earlier. If you didn't do anything, you aren't worse off by this event in the slightest.

EmCeeGramr said:
(and HL2 got HDR added to some maps).

They also added a shit-ton of bugs (minor and major) to the game when doing so.

Nothing like having a mute alyx spawn in random hallways blocking the AI path.

Or having a second alyx spawn and run around without a gun while the first one looks at her silly.

edit: and I don't think any of the bugs have been patched yet, which is more the major issue.

shagg_187 said:
Tricked nevertheless. I wouldve played these games regardless, but not this weekend. When they broke the 4th wall and blogged about it and posted it in steam, I was certain we'll get weekend release. When people said that potatoes are multipliers, I crammed my ass off to get them. When people said you can't idle, I played even more.

I don't care about potato or achievements or TF2 hats. I just wanted to support this game cause I love verything Valve is doing about it, integration steam on PS3, giving free steam copy, custom maps for PS3/PC, Mac support and more.

These are the things that draw me to Valve and this piece of shit ARG is making me feel disappointed, yet I am and always will be optimistic about their moves.

Next time, don't state that these games will help release this early. I don't sense an early release. Remember, early release is not 5 minutes earlier. You can't give me the "ohhhh they didnt say how early *trollface*" bullshit cause valve is smarter than this.

Sadly, Valve lost a sale here for I was going to buy a PC copy and PS3 copy. Now I'm just sticking with PC copy and PS3 copy can wait (yes, I know about PS3 copy having PC copy. I preordered via Steam in hopes of getting it early).

I am a bit disappointed, but I think most of that stems from that fact that VALVe is dicking around with us while pirates are already finished playing the game.

EVIL

Zefah said:
I don't see them as the same at all.

The release date for Portal 2 has been set for Tuesday for quite some time now. It's not like Valve never had a release date and then suddenly came up with this ARG thing and said they won't release Portal 2 until it's been completed.

As far as I'm aware, EA didn't announce that they would release the trailer on X date, but then come up with the Facebook plan and say they would release the trailer early if they got 1 million likes. I didn't really pay attention to that situation, but didn't EA pretty much hold the trailer hostage unless they got 1 million likes?

How is that in any way similar to this? Portal 2 is coming out by the date that was promised, possible even a bit earlier. If you didn't do anything, you aren't worse off by this event in the slightest.
the trailer date for bf3 was already set at april 17th, they gave the gamers a chance to get it out early, but it failed, the 1 milion likes was much to steep.

eiskaltnz

TouchMyBox said:
I am a bit disappointed, but I think most of that stems from that fact that VALVe is dicking around with us while pirates are already finished playing the game.

It's not PC pirates at least!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Baha said:
You really can't be this dense. I mean you could argue for Friday but the weekend? You can't really get any clearer than "Help Release Portal 2 Early". A release during the weekend was well within anybody's expectations at the time.

TheExodu5 said:
They can imply without ever saying anything.

It's all about expectations, and Valve has to manage those expectations.

They hinted that it might get released early. The game is probably getting released early. What the hell is the matter?

Just because you seem to think that early in relation to Tuesday means "Friday or the weekend" doesn't mean that you have anyone but yourself to blame for feeling betrayed that your expectations were not met.

All I can say is that I've participated in couple of ARG before, and they don't try to fuck you up by making you pay for something, optional or not, and they always ALWAYS reward you with either the product itself, an early access or something else.

I played The Dark Knight ARG and Nine Inch Nails ARG, and they are the ultimate guide on how it should be done.

Cartman86

Banned
Kyaw said:
So we are only going to get Portal 2 on its original release time?

Well, this glados@home has been a waste... :(
Apart from those indie devs.

Glados says midnight tonight so far which is 7 hours ahead of the original release time.

EDIT: Ahh old post. Nevermind.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
mr. puppy said:
why is this game 10 gb? i just preinstalled it, thats far larger than i expected it to be. thats like starcraft 2 size.

Why shouldn't it be 10GB?

TheExodu5

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
I think that's a bit unfair. Valve are still one of the best at supporting their games. HL2 and Episode One got Steam achievements (and HL2 got HDR added to some maps). TF2 is the absolute king of post-release support, with the vast and overwhelming majority of its content being post-release. L4D1 still got support after L4D2's release, long after most companies would have cut it off. L4D2 got plenty of updates. Portal had the changed ending to lead up into Portal 2's announcement.

Thinking that Portal 2 was going to get a "post-campaign story" but that the L4D2 situation means that Valve is now more likely to abandon post-release support is rather extreme.

You're seeing things too black & white here.

I'm saying it makes me believe that post-launch content is not a certainty at this point. I still think they will support it, but those expectations have been curbed (a tad).

If Valve were to repeat the L4D yearly sequel bit, that would make me skeptical at that point to pick up many of their new games, since I would assume that an improved yearly iteration is in the pipeline anyways. Still, like I said, Valve has redeemed themselves by supporting L4D2 a lot, and I see it now only as an isolated incident.

Top Bottom