• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Xyrmellon

So....I don't have any real interest in Portal 2; I tried to play the first game but don't particularly like puzzles...but anyway:

It's basically time to be released now (only a few hours away), and you got no early release.

How can this not be a massive pr disaster for Valve??? If I bought these games (my hard earned $), put the time in and got ZERO in return I would be pissed beyond all get out. Or do you guys not care? I've already heard the "I got to play some great indie games" argument, but would you really have even given them a thought otherwise?

They basically said they would release it early, and they didn't. End of story.

marrec

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
I am a bit disappointed, but I think most of that stems from that fact that VALVe is dicking around with us while pirates are already finished playing the game.

Valve is going to release the game early (probably, who knows at this point) but you're holding them responsible for pirates finishing the game already? It's not like Valve game the game to a bunch of Pirates and laughed evilly as they only release the game 12 hours early for paying customers. Valve isn't dicking around with us, they're having a bit of fun with the release of their highly anticipated game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Corky said:

An early release was hinted, but not necessarily a "Friday or the weekend" release. Read the lined you quoted.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zefah said:
They hinted that it might get released early. The game is probably getting released early. What the hell is the matter?

Just because you seem to think that early in relation to Tuesday means "Friday or the weekend" doesn't mean that you have anyone but yourself to blame for feeling betrayed that your expectations were not met.

Like I said. It's up to Valve to manage those expectations, not its fan base.

If Valve were to say today "Half-Life 3 is coming out soon!", but it still wasn't released in several years time, wouldn't you say they failed to manage their fans expectations?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So i'm playing this game in less then 40 minutes? HA! sure. I'll believe it when i play it.

I, for one, enjoyed most of the games in the Potato Sack
fuck you dejobaan games!
. I'm not mad at all that Portal 2 isn't coming out sooner.

... although I did fuck up my sleep schedule and ended up doing less work than usual. :(

TheExodu5 said:

Right. Because Valve's, or any fanbase really, is made up of easily sculpt-able people who never react irrationally to anything.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rainier said:
page_bg_english.png
I don't get it, are you trying to be funny?

I see something that asks people to "help release Portal 2 earlier". Valve is saying "If X happens before the timer is up, Portal 2 will be released early." That means that if X doesn't happen, Portal 2 will simply be released on time.

No where are they promising they will release the game early regardless of what happens.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Zefah said:
An early release was hinted, but not necessarily a "Friday or the weekend" release. Read the lined you quoted.

I did, in the first post you said no early release was hinted at all. In the second post you said an early release was hinted.

corn_fest

Zefah said:
Actually, a very specific time on Friday was what was teased in multiple clues. Not just a general early release. I'm still happy with a day early, though, so I hope it finishes up tonight.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
shuyin_ said:
This: "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM" and a big countdown on apertuescience.com prove you wrong. Yes, Valve actually hinted (or led to believe, if you prefer the term) at a friday release. Anything else?

A countdown at Aperturescience.com means that the game is coming out early? That's nice that you convinced yourself of that.

Wasn't that countdown simply for the announcement of this potato computations thing?

Twig

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

If Valve were to say today "Half-Life 3 is coming out soon!", but it still wasn't released in several years time, wouldn't you say they failed to manage their fans expectations?
To an extent. There's a point where fans become idiots, and quite a few people involved in this ARG have done just that.

shuyin_

Banned
Zefah said:
I don't see them as the same at all.

The release date for Portal 2 has been set for Tuesday for quite some time now. It's not like Valve never had a release date and then suddenly came up with this ARG thing and said they won't release Portal 2 until it's been completed.

As far as I'm aware, EA didn't announce that they would release the trailer on X date, but then come up with the Facebook plan and say they would release the trailer early if they got 1 million likes. I didn't really pay attention to that situation, but didn't EA pretty much hold the trailer hostage unless they got 1 million likes?

How is that in any way similar to this? Portal 2 is coming out by the date that was promised, possible even a bit earlier. If you didn't do anything, you aren't worse off by this event in the slightest.
You don't see the similarities?
Company announces they will release trailer for upcoming game if people click 1million times on their FB page.
Company announces the release of upcoming game will be shortened if people play/idle some particular games, ad nauseam.

If you don't see the similarities, you're probably the perfect customer for Valve. I hope they will manipulate people like you even further and i really hope that for the release of Half Life 3 they will make you play some games that you don't want to play untill your nose bleeds. :))
And with the mentality you're showing, you'll probably obey them. Well done, customer :D

jediyoshi

Xyrmellon said:

That's not how time works. The game wouldn't have been released yet, the game still isn't out. If it does in between this time, it will have been released early.

Zefah said:
I see something that asks people to "help release Portal 2 earlier". Valve is saying "If X happens before the timer is up, Portal 2 will be released early." That means that if X doesn't happen, Portal 2 will simply be released on time.

No where are they promising they will release the game early regardless of what happens.
And that X meant a million people playing, right?

StuBurns

Banned
Xyrmellon said:
So....I don't have any real interest in Portal 2; I tried to play the first game but don't particularly like puzzles...but anyway:

It's basically time to be released now (only a few hours away), and you got no early release.

How can this not be a massive pr disaster for Valve??? If I bought these games (my hard earned $), put the time in and got ZERO in return I would be pissed beyond all get out. Or do you guys not care? I've already heard the "I got to play some great indie games" argument, but would you really have even given them a thought otherwise?

Although they're labelled 'indie' there's a few of the biggest PC games in the last year really, it's not like they picked 13 games you'd never want to play, they're big games.

Ferrio

Banned
Cartman86 said:
I was under the impression based on the past (no ones at work at midnight) that games release early mornings of release day.

No they've usually released around midnight, least all the valve games I can remember.

Zefah said:
A countdown at Aperturescience.com means that the game is coming out early? That's nice that you convinced yourself of that.

Wasn't that countdown simply for the announcement of this potato computations thing?
No it wasn't.

Corky

jediyoshi said:
That's not how time works. The game wouldn't have been released yet, the game still isn't out. If it does in between this time, it will have been released early.

I'd love to see people reactions to this winters Steam-troll-sale

Portal 2 original price : 44$
Portal 2 steam sale price : 43.59$

Valve : " Hey man it's cheaper! "

TheExodu5

Banned
Nappuccino said:
Right. Because Valve's, or any fanbase really, is made up of easily sculpt-able people who never react irrationally to anything.

Twig said:
To an extent. There's a point where fans become idiots, and quite a few people involved in this ARG have done just that.

Except in this case, it wasn't unreasonable (or irrational) to assume that an early release might indicate anything in between the Friday and Tuesday launch window. Valve could have said "a release as early as 12:01AM EST, Tuesday", but it's quite obvious why they didn't. They didn't because many peoples expectations would fall on more optimistic release schedules and lead to more sales of the Potato Sack.

Ferrio said:
So you want them to cut content?

Perhaps not "cut content". Could have been better if it was a compressed download or something. I'm sure there's a way to save up on the download, if they aren't already.

I'm stating that 10 GB is indeed a lot... I wish I didn't have to say that, though.

Littleberu said:
Bandwidth caps? 10 GB is a lot for some countries (including mine, Canada).

Its probably to include the various textures for all the different settings. It would be nice if they had an option to only dl the textures that will run best on your rig (or the ones of your choice, which ever)... but alas, things don't work that way yet.

IceMarker

Zefah said:

Damn, you're clueless. Read up on the Investigation History page on the ARG Wiki.

i'm just going to preorder on steam, bestbuy is fucking forcing preorders online only =(. i hope it's midnight launch for east coast so i can play it at least for an hour.

Ferrio

Banned
Littleberu said:
Perhaps not "cut content". Could have been better if it was a compressed download or something. I'm sure there's a way to save up on the download, if they aren't already.

I'm stating that 10 GB is indeed a lot... I wish I didn't have to say that, though.

Pretty sure they use some kind of compression, doubt valve is that stupid.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
EVIL said:
the trailer date for bf3 was already set at april 17th, they gave the gamers a chance to get it out early, but it failed, the 1 milion likes was much to steep.

Ok, so it came out on April 17th after all? Definitely comparable to this and no harm done, then.

WEGGLES

DoctorWho said:
Depending on where you are in Canada, you should switch to Teksavvy. My internets are unlimited.
I'd love to switch to teksavvy

but... my mom's email is an @sympatico address... and... you can't get free email addresses anywhere else. So... we're stuck with sympatico.

AwShucks

Xyrmellon said:
How can this not be a massive pr disaster for Valve???

Because the general public have no clue this ARG is even happening. Outside of the, I don't know, 50k people paying attention the rest will just buy the game on Tuesday as planned. The rest of us, well 99% of us are still buying the game anyways, and either playing a bit early tonight or just playing tomorrow as planned on well. And some of those people are a bit butt-hurt. That's the extent of it.

Burger

Anyone know how to migrate steam content from OS X to Windows? I did a copy to what appears to be the right folder, but it's not working....

(and I'm pretty sure the files are mostly the same)

shuyin_

Banned
Zefah said:

You ignored the hint part and you have no clue about the countdown. This discussion isn't going anywhere. I'm done talking to you

Also, let this reply be my last message to you, little troll:
shuyin_ said:
You don't see the similarities?
Company announces they will release trailer for upcoming game if people click 1million times on their FB page.
Company announces the release of upcoming game will be shortened if people play/idle some particular games, ad nauseam.

If you don't see the similarities, you're probably the perfect customer for Valve. I hope they will manipulate people like you even further and i really hope that for the release of Half Life 3 they will make you play some games that you don't want to play untill your nose bleeds. :))
And with the mentality you're showing, you'll probably obey them. Well done, customer :D

TheExodu5 said:
Except in this case, it wasn't unreasonable (or irrational) to assume that an early release might indicate anything in between the Friday and Tuesday launch window. Valve could have said "a release as early as 12:01AM EST, Tuesday", but it's quite obvious why they didn't. They didn't because many peoples expectations would fall on more optimistic release schedules and lead to more sales of the Potato Sack.

Talking to you is like pounding your face into the most cynical wall possible. You let your assumptions get the best of you and can't man up and say "i assumed wrong." Instead "its valves fault because I cannot understand "early" can mean as little as 1 millisecond early or 2 days early.

"Early" was never defined, just assumed and got frustrated when your assumption was wrong.

Rainier said:
I don't get it, are you trying to be funny?

I honestly believe the apologists are running out of steam.

....Pardon the pun.

Guys, I gave up. I'm sticking to the ps3 preorder. As of today it's the best COA since there was no early release.

Nappuccino said:
Talking to you is like pounding your face into the most cynical wall possible. You let your assumptions get the best of you and can't man up and say "i assumed wrong." Instead "its valves fault because I cannot understand "early" can mean as little as 1 millisecond early or 2 days early.

"Early" was never defined, just assumed and got frustrated when your assumption was wrong.

Has it really come down to this? Really?

WEGGLES said:
I'd love to switch to teksavvy

but... my mom's email is an @sympatico address... and... you can't get free email addresses anywhere else. So... we're stuck with sympatico.

Gmail gives out free email addresses.

Corky

Covfan said:
I hope you mean Stephen Merchant, or do you mean this radio DJ?
steve-wright.jpg

I did mean Stephen Merchant, and that's my cue to exit. Waaay too sleepy, getting everything wrong

Top Bottom