• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

TheExodu5

Banned
Zefah said:
I see something that asks people to "help release Portal 2 earlier". Valve is saying "If X happens before the timer is up, Portal 2 will be released early." That means that if X doesn't happen, Portal 2 will simply be released on time.

No where are they promising they will release the game early regardless of what happens.

This isn't a legal contract. This is a marketing ploy that was seen as a gesture of good will by many fans awaiting the game.

I'll use Corky's example...if Valve said "wait to buy X game because it will be the next Weekend Deal", but the game only ended up being 5% off, people would be angry. It doesn't matter that they didn't technically lie. All that matters is that they didn't reach the expectation they set forward. Of course, you're never going to match everyone's expectation, but your goal should be to match those expectations as much as possible.

Is they were to start the timed event today instead of Friday, people's expectations would have more likely fallen in line with what has transcended, and the word of mouth would be more positive.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
IchigoSharingan said:
I honestly believe the apologists are running out of steam.

....Pardon the pun.

Guys, I gave up. I'm sticking to the ps3 preorder. As of today it's the best COA since there was no early release.

But it is releasing early...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Xyrmellon said:
So....I don't have any real interest in Portal 2; I tried to play the first game but don't particularly like puzzles...but anyway:

It's basically time to be released now (only a few hours away), and you got no early release.

How can this not be a massive pr disaster for Valve??? If I bought these games (my hard earned $), put the time in and got ZERO in return I would be pissed beyond all get out. Or do you guys not care? I've already heard the "I got to play some great indie games" argument, but would you really have even given them a thought otherwise?

They basically said they would release it early, and they didn't. End of story.

Except that they didn't? They set a goal, and that goal hasn't yet been crossed.

Did anyone ever stop to think that the turnout for this might have been abysmally low and far below the expectations that Valve originally set?

I already owned a bunch of those potato sack games before this whole thing started, and other then a bit of Amnesia over the weekend, I certainly didn't bother to boot up one copy of each game and keep them running in the background. I imagine most people simply didn't care.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Nappuccino said:
"Early" was never defined, just assumed and got frustrated when your assumption was wrong.

Yeah words like bigger, smaller, larger, shorter, louder, earlier, cheaper are all undefined. But 0.00000000000001% increments don't count.

Kinda like somebody say " The dark knight will have early screenings in new york " when they mean 15 seconds earlier.

Xyrmellon

Zefah said:
A countdown at Aperturescience.com means that the game is coming out early? That's nice that you convinced yourself of that.

Apparently multiple game press outlets convinced themselves of this too and reported it last week.

Pock, Paper, Shotgun and Kotaku are two I remember.

WEGGLES

DoctorWho said:
Gmail gives out free email addresses.
I was being sarcastic.

But that is why this household doesn't switch.

Because it would be to much of a "hassle" to have various aunts/grandparents RE: FWD: RE :RE Funny sent to another email.

pix

DoctorWho said:
Depending on where you are in Canada, you should switch to Teksavvy. My internets are unlimited.

I get my Teksaavy cable service activated next month. Soo pumped.

Baha

I remember someone on Friday remarking how Killing Floor would never get 10k current users and yet here we are at 8.5k and climbing...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
Like I said. It's up to Valve to manage those expectations, not its fan base.

If Valve were to say today "Half-Life 3 is coming out soon!", but it still wasn't released in several years time, wouldn't you say they failed to manage their fans expectations?

Sure. But they didn't say "Portal 2 is coming out early!", they said "If enough people play this ambiguous game we have set up, we'll release Portal 2 early."

It would have been cool if they were more transparent about how the game worked. I didn't participate in it myself because the whole thing was way too ambiguous and I didn't particularly feel like playing any of the potato sack games over the weekend, aside from a bit of Amnesia.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
As an aside: Some douche nozzles are changing their Steam profile names to spoilers, so if you're one of those people who has a million friends - or, like me, happen to look at the profile pages of a friend who has millions of friends - be wary.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nappuccino said:
Talking to you is like pounding your face into the most cynical wall possible. You let your assumptions get the best of you and can't man up and say "i assumed wrong." Instead "its valves fault because I cannot understand "early" can mean as little as 1 millisecond early or 2 days early.

"Early" was never defined, just assumed and got frustrated when your assumption was wrong.

First off, it's an expectation, not an assumption.

Second, what past data did I have to have more "correct" expectations, as you would put it?

Zefah said:
Sure. But they didn't say "Portal 2 is coming out early!", they said "If enough people play this ambiguous game we have set up, we'll release Portal 2 early."

It would have been cool if they were more transparent about how the game worked. I didn't participate in it myself because the whole thing was way too ambiguous and I didn't particularly feel like playing any of the potato sack games over the weekend, aside from a bit of Amnesia.

It rubbed us the wrong way when we realized that the reason for that lack of transparency was to mislead.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Orellio said:
"This page is NOT affiliated with Valve Corporation."

Been posted before.

And also doesn't seem to be taking time zone into account, which is where these wildly different numbers come from. Not only is it unofficial, it's unofficial and completely wrong.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Yeah that website says an hour and a half for me -.-

Ergh, looks like i'm gonna be setting my alarm for an early morning. It's half 10 at night here in England :/

Rainier

WEGGLES said:
I was being sarcastic.

But that is why this household doesn't switch.

Because it would be to much of a "hassle" to have various aunts/grandparents RE: FWD: RE :RE Funny sent to another email.
Auto forwarding takes only a few seconds to set up.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Zefah said:

I'm not sure what you want of me. You erroneously stated a friday/weekend release wasn't hinted <- WRONG

And then you said an early release was hinted.

( I'm aware it's not the direct opposite, but as mentioned a couple of posts above yours we're deep in semantics apparently )

TheExodu5

Banned
Zefah said:
Except that they didn't? They set a goal, and that goal hasn't yet been crossed.

Did anyone ever stop to think that the turnout for this might have been abysmally low and far below the expectations that Valve originally set?

I already owned a bunch of those potato sack games before this whole thing started, and other then a bit of Amnesia over the weekend, I certainly didn't bother to boot up one copy of each game and keep them running in the background. I imagine most people simply didn't care.

I'm sorry for being so blunt, you have to be incredibly naive if you think Valve set up some goal and that's the reason it hasn't yet launched. From the data we've seen, the overall completion rate has been constant and hasn't fluctuated at all with the variance in effort put in over the past few days. Furthermore, Valve said that this last "overclocked" portion would happen, and the time at which it is ending is making it clear that this whole thing is scripted.

You really should be able to see that...

It's obvious why they couldn't release it earlier as well: retailers.

Corky said:
Yeah words like bigger, smaller, larger, shorter, louder, earlier, cheaper are all undefined. But 0.00000000000001% increments don't count.

Kinda like somebody say " The dark knight will have early screenings in new york " when they mean 15 seconds earlier.

Well, we're already getting it 7ish hours "early"

That's early.

Cartman86

Banned
Xyrmellon said:
Apparently multiple game press outlets convinced themselves of this too and reported it last week.

Pock, Paper, Shotgun and Kotaku are two I remember.

It just seems so obvious to me that Valve was trying to do something for everyone. The first week or so of the ARG which normal people don't participate in was really cool and had a hint in it that something would happen on last Friday. A countdown clock was found and some of the indie devs made cryptic hints towards an early release. game news sites reported the rumor that it when the countdown ended it MIGHT be for early release. People took it to mean it would release at the end of the countdown. Countdown ends and Valve puts up a new stage of the ARG that allows for pretty much everyone to contribute. I think that Valve had the right idea in mind, but it got out of hand with the early release aspect of it "leaking" so early. They wanted to create a crazy ARG for everyone and it didn't live up to everyone's expectations.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
shuyin_ said:
You don't see the similarities?
Company announces they will release trailer for upcoming game if people click 1million times on their FB page.
Company announces the release of upcoming game will be shortened if people play/idle some particular games, ad nauseam.

If you don't see the similarities, you're probably the perfect customer for Valve. I hope they will manipulate people like you even further and i really hope that for the release of Half Life 3 they will make you play some games that you don't want to play untill your nose bleeds. :))
And with the mentality you're showing, you'll probably obey them. Well done, customer :D

Wow, you sure are sensationalist.

How about you try taking what they say at face value instead of building up monumental expectations so you can feel betrayed and make whiny posts on message boards later on?

I'm just fine with the Tuesday release date. If it comes out early, cool. I sure as hell didn't participate in this potato computations game, nor did I like EA on Facebook.

Also, if you didn't want to play the games in the Potato Sack, then maybe you shouldn't have bought them.

WEGGLES

Rainier said:
Auto forwarding takes only a few seconds to set up.
I think the issue is bell would get rid of her address since it is tied to our bell service, no?

We called and asked and were told that the address would no longer be usable if we cancelled our sympatico service. How much of that is true, I don't know... but it immediately made my mom not want to switch.

Zefah said:
I think you should read them again.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27230924&postcount=8348

An early release was hinted at, but not necessarily a "Friday or the weekend" release, which is exactly what I said in the quotes you chose to be sad at.

Ok, you are right in that regard. An early release was never defined. However, we had to do a whole damn lot for getting the game a few hours, much more then the end result is worth and that Valve made us believe (it is Valve that has fed us a lot of this anticipation).

Also, the entire ARG is based on speculation. We had to take hints from anything and this time was not different.

EDIT: Meh, can anybody give me any tips on that Audiosurf song? Even with the wiki it still is very luck based and I cannot get the Cheat Engine to work.

Top Bottom