• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Blizzard said:
I got dinner tonight in honor of Portal 2's potential release.

tater1mqq7.jpg

That's before the extra bucket of chives I dumped on it, of course.
*looks at salad*
I'd've loved a baked potato over this. :(

heyf00L

When Portal 2 releases doesn't matter much to me since I can only afford it at a sale price.

I enjoyed the ARG tho. I tried to solve two puzzles. I spent a long while trying to figure out the last piece of the Bathysphere...yes the troll peace with garbage data. Then I worked on one of the emails, but it was just a link to a small part of an image that we already had the full image of.

Glad to "contribute".

Prepare for the biggest meltdown in recent video game history when all copies of Portal 2 fail to authenticate to the Steam servers. I'm sticking around just for the reactions. After that, I believe this thread will need to be archived for posterity.

Red

During a chat on Steam I got a small text box that says

You Monster
Reunite with GLaDOS

And it won't get off my desktop. Closed Steam and it's still there.

Lasthope106 said:
Prepare for the biggest meltdown in recent video game history when all copies of Portal 2 fail to authenticate to the Steam servers. I'm sticking around just for the reactions. After that, I believe this thread will need to be archived for posterity.

Definitely should be archived. It's been a rollercoaster of emotion.

Wow, I didn't think I'd get home and the game still wouldn't be released. The postmortem thread on this is going to be incredible. It's obvious at this point that they planned to keep their contract with retailers all along by not selling the game before street date. I don't feel that a few hours early on release date condones the hoops they had people jumping through all weekend.

The hinted at the game releasing early prior to street date during the ARG and it's obvious now that the system was rigged not to let that happen. I love Valve, I really do but this looks bad.

I know gamers didn't have to jump through these hoops and they would have still had the game on release date either way. However, they did it because they love the product and Valve has built a certain amount of Good Will with its user base. I can't help but think that good will is damaged to an extent now.

Blizzard

Banned
JaseC said:
Why are you explaining to somebody who made a baked potato how to make a baked potato? :p
I usually bake (nuke) my own potatoes but I bought that one from a restaurant. :p

It's tragic that they're unhealthy, but I'd like to think they're healthier than a lot of other stuff that's easy to make.

DoctorWho said:
Wow, I didn't think I'd get home and the game still wouldn't be released. The postmortem thread on this is going to be incredible. It's obvious at this point that they planned to keep their contract with retailers all along by not selling the game before street date. I don't feel that a few hours early on release date condones the hoops they had people jumping through all weekend.

The hinted at the game releasing early prior to street date during the ARG and it's obvious now that the system was rigged not to let that happen. I love Valve, I really do but this looks bad.

I know gamers didn't have to jump through these hoops and they would have still had the game on release date either way. However, they did it because they love the product and Valve has built a certain amount of Good Will with its user base. I can't help but think that good will is damaged to an extent now.
explain why the Steam page storefront says 'release Portal 2 early'

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Focus switched to Amnesia, but fuck that, at least get KF done for fucks sake if we're so close.

But yeah pretty much Midnight EST launch confirmed.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
CF_Fighter said:
sure the carbs are bad, but as with everything moderation is key. Potatoes, and their skins, have a lot of good stuff in them.

Wisegeek says:

The potato, as well as the skin, is a great source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, copper, potassium, manganese, and dietary fiber. Potatoes and potato skins contain 18% of the recommended daily allowance of iron and 7.5 grams of protein, which is rarely found in vegetables in such high concentrations. Potato skins also contain a variety of phytonutrients, which are a natural source of antioxidants that help to prevent cellular deterioration of the body. The phytonutrients found in potatoes include carotenoids, flavonoids, and caffeic acid.
It's easy to look at the nutritional values of potatoes and assume they are a healthy food, but they carry a number of health risks:
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/questionsandanswers/a/potatoglycemic.htm

And also, nobody eats potatoes plain, so they tend to be slathered in butter/cream cheese/fried/etc. Fine in moderation of course.

Epix

20:00 - Preliminary lethality assessment complete
20:00 - Results inconclusive
20:00 - Expanding candidate pool

aasoncott

Epix said:

What does this mean?

What does this mean?

What does this mean?

Man, I've been all "Valve totally messed this endgame up" all day, but now I'm just a nervous wreck over here.

Crunched said:

You Monster
Reunite with GLaDOS

I get things like that sometimes too - it's achievement text that somehow bleed through from Steam. If you fiddle around with the Steam window a bit, it should go away.

Also, one more time, since we really are nearing the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Slavik81 said:
Why would be bother? We only need Meat Boy and Killing Floor to get it to release in an hour or so.

I think the bonus time off is going to be proportional to the time we have left. So we're going to have to complete all the red bars to unlock the game. We'll see...

Jintor

* 19:48: GaH small.png Focus changed to Amnesia because the people who run this ARG love to eat paint chips. By finishing SMB and KF, we will get Portal 2, no need to change focus.
Oh that wiki

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Crunched said:

You Monster
Reunite with GLaDOS

Yeah, I was having that bug before too, but closing steam did get rid of it. It wasn't that same message, it was just a friend's status.

From the Razer Facebook:

f9vsN.jpg

Razer|Mjolnir@Portal 2 Launch: This is the machine that pushes Portal 2 live. Me thinks my life is forfeit if I throw the switch early. Get to playing those Potato Pack games so we can set this game free!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

edit: Damnit Epix.

Hmmmmmm.

Top Bottom