• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
heyf00L said:
I don't really see how it could be rigged.

I'm guessing they didn't think it'd take this long to unlock all the games either.

It's looking to be a midnight EST release. I don't think it's strange to think it was set up to unlock at that time all along.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
In 40 minutes both Super Meat Boy and Killing Floor will complete and each will be worth 90 minutes and then my files will instantly decrypt and I will play!

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
enzo_gt said:
SMB AND KILLING FLOOR ONES HAVENT MOVED IN 20 MINUTES WHAT IS THIS SHIT

fixthisshitvalve

If I might indulge in blind, last minute, totally out of character fanboy optimism briefly: We just passed 125,000 potatoes left at 10:25. At roughly 700 potatoes a minute, that's roughly 35 minutes from both 11:00 PM EST and an even 100,000 potatoes. It's conceivable - if baseless and unlikely - that the last 100,000 potato countdown starting at around 11:00 PM EST will result in all games SUPER charging.

Okay, optimism off. Realistically we're looking at maybe a 1 AM/1:30 AM EST release. Assuming SMB and Killing Floor both shave off a conservative 30 minutes a piece, that puts the release in that timeframe nicely with Amnesia and Defense Grid never finishing before launch.

Emitan

heyf00L said:
I don't really see how it could be rigged.

I'm guessing they didn't think it'd take this long to unlock all the games either.
It's most likely rigged. What would Valve tell GameStop?
"Sorry for breaking street date, but the powers of TEAMWORK and FRIENDSHIP trump capitalism any day!"
UvyxT.jpg

Trouble

Banned
DrForester said:
It's looking to be a midnight EST release. I don't think it's strange to think it was set up to unlock at that time all along.
I've had that lurking suspicion since Saturday. I think the potato overclocking bit was to speed things up just enough to hit the mark.

Blizzard

Banned
I got dinner tonight in honor of Portal 2's potential release.

tater1mqq7.jpg

That's before the extra bucket of chives I dumped on it, of course.

heyf00L

DrForester said:
We don't know when it's going to unlock. We know when the potatoes will run out (1am EST right?). The only thing Valve really had control over was how much time got knocked off by completing games. I guess they could control it that way to some extent, but it's obvious that it's been up to use to chose which games to complete first. The easy games knocked of a little time. The hard games have knocked off more. Seems to be more in our hands.

Certainly tho they should have hinted that it'd only be a few hours early. And really launching so late at night isn't very great for most people.

LM4sure

Banned
Billychu said:
But it wasn't really "buy these to make the other thing come out faster". Anyone who owned the games (some of which had been out for years) could contribute.

But they did encourage people to buy the games with the sale they were offering. It kind of sucks that they led people to believe that Portal 2 would be released much sooner on the pc, but now at this rate most people will be able to play on the 360 or ps3 before pc owners will be able to.

Trickster

Billychu said:
But it wasn't really "buy these to make the other thing come out faster". Anyone who owned the games (some of which had been out for years) could contribute.

Well, there's a big fat orange button with the text "get the potato sack" right next to "help release portal 2 early!".

Billychu said:
What would Valve tell GameStop? "Sorry for breaking street date, but the powers of TEAMWORK and FRIENDSHIP trump capitalism any day!"

Why are people pointing out to this without any significant proof? Valve fucked up and could've skipped this entire ordeal completely if they had this "breaking street date" deal with Gamestop.

So Naive, you all are.

Yes it is rigged but for all the wrong reasons.

jdogmoney

Makes me sad that the copy of Amnesia I bought for a friend doesn't work on his computer.

(I'm not sure if "doesn't work" is code for "NOPE TOO SCARY" or not.)

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Blizzard said:

tater1mqq7.jpg

Bibbity bobbity bacon! Now it's your favorite part of the meal.

Trouble

Banned
jdogmoney said:
Makes me sad that the copy of Amnesia I bought for a friend doesn't work on his computer.

(I'm not sure if "doesn't work" is code for "NOPE TOO SCARY" or not.)
It's not his computer, the game is defective. It causes urine to leak from the bladder of whomever plays it.

Fox318

Blizzard said:

tater1mqq7.jpg

Why did you measure it??? Were you expecting people to say its a fake potato?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so if there's one complete positive out of all this, it's that I've discovered that a lot of these potato games are actually really good. I finally (yeah i know shutup) started playing Super Meat Boy, which is amazin. Killing Floor manages to be a good coop FPS about fighting waves of zombies that plays almost completely differently from Left 4 Dead. Rush and Cogs are both good puzzlers. The Ball, from what I've played, is a pretty darn good first person puzzle game. The special portal themed levels for that are actually kind of amazing.

That's one thing that I think we're kind of skipping over in the whole riot about how lame the last stage of the ARG ended up being - some of these games got some really good extra content out of this whole Potato Pack business. Stuff that you'd probably have to pay for as DLC if these were EA games, for example.

The only real losers out of the Potato games I've played are both, sadly, from Dejobaan Games. I do like AAAAaaAaAAaA!!!, but The Wonderful End of the World is pretty boring from what I've played, and 123 Kick It is basically just AAAaaaaAaAaAA all over again, but this time they generate the levels from music.

Mikey Jr.

Remember when everyone was like "ohhh, we could be playing it as early as Sunday night" or "probably Monday afternoon".

Good times.

Blizzard

Banned
Fox318 said:
Why did you measure it??? Were you expecting people to say its a fake potato?
I had to give some sense of the size! That's the "half"/"light" order of that potato by the way. The full one is enough to feed a horse.

Lostconfused said:
Speaking of which, linking that garlic mashed potatoes recipe was great. I made some and they taste really good, there will even be some left for tomorrow.
Haha, thanks for being a guinea pig! It was just one of the top search results and I probably hadn't actually tried it myself. *bookmarked*

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Mikey Jr. said:
Remember when everyone was like "ohhh, we could be playing it as early as Sunday night" or "probably Monday afternoon".

Good times.

If nothing else this whole experience has shown that human beings have a tremendous capacity for optimism despite all evidence to the contrary.

clav

Blizzard said:

tater1mqq7.jpg

Baked potatoes are ridiculously easy to make and cheap to buy.

1. Wash potato with sponge.

2. Stab a bunch of holes in it with a fork all over.

3. Put potato on microwavable plate and microwave potato for 5 minutes on 100% HIGH. Flip the potato over and do it again.

4. Cut open and add butter, onions, chives, sour cream, cheese, or whatever you like on potatoes.

5. Enjoy.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ShallNoiseUpon said:
I haven't had a baked potato like that in forever. Maybe I'll find one tomorrow.
Potatoes are not very healthy. I would recommend against it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Htown said:
so if there's one complete positive out of all this, it's that I've discovered that a lot of these potato games are actually really good. I finally (yeah i know shutup) started playing Super Meat Boy, which is amazin. Killing Floor manages to be a good coop FPS about fighting waves of zombies that plays almost completely differently from Left 4 Dead. Rush and Cogs are both good puzzlers. The Ball, from what I've played, is a pretty darn good first person puzzle game. The special portal themed levels for that are actually kind of amazing.

That's one thing that I think we're kind of skipping over in the whole riot about how lame the last stage of the ARG ended up being - some of these games got some really good extra content out of this whole Potato Pack business. Stuff that you'd probably have to pay for as DLC if these were EA games, for example.

The only real losers out of the Potato games I've played are both, sadly, from Dejobaan Games. I do like AAAAaaAaAAaA!!!, but The Wonderful End of the World is pretty boring from what I've played, and 123 Kick It is basically just AAAaaaaAaAaAA all over again, but this time they generate the levels from music.

Did you play the Amnesia DLC? Only content that tops the Ball levels in my opinion. Chilling stuff.

AAAAaaa and Kick It control pretty differently which changes them up quite a bit once you get past the basics. Training myself not to use WASD in Kick It was pretty tricky.

Mikey Jr.

Campster said:
If nothing else this whole experience has shown that human beings have a tremendous capacity for optimism despite all evidence to the contrary.

This whole experience has shown that people will fill bars.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
claviertekky said:

3. Put potato on microwavable plate and microwave potato for 5 minutes on 100% HIGH. Flip the potato over and do it again.

4. Cut open and add butter, onions, chives, sour cream, cheese, or whatever you like on potatoes.

5. Enjoy.

Why are you explaining to somebody who made a baked potato how to make a baked potato? :p

XeroSauce

SMB is edging out KF. These games have to round down our completion time, there's no way Audiosurf is worth 80 minutes and KF/SMB are worth less then that.

B-Dex

claviertekky said:

5. Enjoy.

That is not a baked potato. You bake things in an oven. That my friend is a nuked potato.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
JaseC said:
Why are you explaining to somebody who made a baked potato how to make a baked potato? :p
For those who do you inconsiderate bastard!

That is not a baked potato. You bake things in an oven. That my friend is a nuked potato.
I hate how people still call the Microwave the Nuker, or refer to things Microwaved as nuked. There is no radiation, it is radio waves that cause water to vibrate!

Original-Blue

Neo Member
OMG its gonna un lock while I'm at work. I got out of work 1.5 hours early but its gonna happen in the next hour and a half I think.

2.75 hours until I can leave work.

So excite!

So as I expected my hype has come back.

The hardly cheap when you have to buy a container or cheese, sour cream and bacon just to use a tiny bit of it on one potato. Otherwise you have to eat a bunch of them.

clav

B-Dex said:
You haven't tried it have you?

Look up microwave potato. Ate this a lot as an easy breakfast during college.

JaseC said:

Somehow iron chef GAF compelled me. :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
XeroSauce said:
SMB is edging out KF. These games have to round down our completion time, there's no way Audiosurf is worth 80 minutes and KF/SMB are worth less then that.
Way more poeple own Audiosurf than SMB and KF almost guaranteed though.

Dance In My Blood said:
Potatoes are not very healthy. I would recommend against it.

sure the carbs are bad, but as with everything moderation is key. Potatoes, and their skins, have a lot of good stuff in them.

Wisegeek says:

The potato, as well as the skin, is a great source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, copper, potassium, manganese, and dietary fiber. Potatoes and potato skins contain 18% of the recommended daily allowance of iron and 7.5 grams of protein, which is rarely found in vegetables in such high concentrations. Potato skins also contain a variety of phytonutrients, which are a natural source of antioxidants that help to prevent cellular deterioration of the body. The phytonutrients found in potatoes include carotenoids, flavonoids, and caffeic acid.

Top Bottom