• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

BY2K

Membero Americo
So, does the time goes faster depending on the number of potatoes or number of CPU actively playing one of the games on Steam?

TheBez

I just woke up and from what I can gather we have to be playing the potato sack games to power up Glados to get it to launch? But it's looking sorta grim?

I got a theory that there is a certain threshold we have to meet before the counter starts getting faster. I mean, other than WEOTW, all the games percentages are pathetic.

scogoth

BY2K said:
So, does the time goes faster depending on the number of potatoes or number of CPU actively playing one of the games on Steam?

The total time collectively spent playing the games is what matter. The more time played the sooner portal 2 is released. The potatoes are some kind of multiplier.

Lasthope106 said:
I got a theory that there is a certain threshold we have to meet before the counter starts getting faster. I mean, other than WEOTW, all the games percentages are pathetic.

Yeah I posted something similar a bit back
So here is something I am theorizing. When the bar for TWEOTW gets filled completely we will get some sort of "bonus" percentage tacked onto the main bar. Once that happens I think that another game will be "designated" by Valve for completion and that bar will start to fill faster. Basically I think Valve is encouraging people to gather around one game at a time.

But, like I said, just a theory on my part.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Ehhhhhhhh, my enthusiasm for this whole thing is waning. Unless the number of people participating increases like 40 times, the soonest the game will release is Monday or possibly Sunday night. Either way the weekend is over, at that point it might as well be Tuesday.

I'll still boot up a potato game to idle when I get home tonight though.

Cipherr

Borgnine said:
Ehhhhhhhh, my enthusiasm for this whole thing is waning. Unless the number of people participating increases like 40 times, the soonest the game will release is Monday or possibly Sunday night. Either way the weekend is over, at that point it might as well be Tuesday.

I'll still boot up a potato game to idle when I get home tonight though.

Yep, its my most anticipated game in years but this has even me going 'meh'. This prerelease will be so close to the actual release date I wont care really. Im done.

KScorp

Part of the reason TWEOTW has such a high bar is because some people on the Steam forums said that the only way to raise the bar was by completely filling a game's bar. That has changed now, but I bet a bunch of people are still playing it because of that first announcement.

Tain

Prophet Steve said:
What? A lot of those games are very good.

I've tried all but Kick It and Cogs. I can't blame anybody for sticking to something as great as CS; I can't see myself playing any of these games for very long, save maybe Super Meat Boy.

Played some Super Meat Boy for this right now, but there is just no enjoyment to get from the game when you reach level 6-5. I have tried that level so many times now, and I just hate it. I can´t beat it.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I've seen the current CPUs for TWEOTW go from 2046 to 2035 to 2031 to 2044 to 1999. You guys are going backwards.

rasberryjam said:
Did anyone notice that the Potato count is now called "Auxiliary Power"? Does that imply that collecting taters helps?

It's a giant potato battery!

And if it is based around getting a critical mass of users around one game at a time, I'll hop back on to Audiosurf when/if it's triggered.

Atomski

CecilRousso said:
Played some Super Meat Boy for this right now, but there is just no enjoyment to get from the game when you reach level 6-5. I have tried that level so many times now, and I just hate it. I can´t beat it.
I did it and I'm pretty terrible. Just got to believe in yourself. :p

CarbonatedFalcon said:
It's a giant potato battery!
So actually collecting potatoes helps put Portal 2 out faster? Or is it just keeping count for the sake of it?

Edit: Whatever it means, I've been on audiosurf trying to help fight the good fight.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Borgnine said:
I've seen the current CPUs for TWEOTW go from 2046 to 2035 to 2031 to 2044 to 1999. You guys are going backwards.

Doesn't matter, spreading the CPUs out over all the games will unlock Portal 2 faster than going for the more unpopular games first.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
gregor7777 said:
How do you know?

Unless there is some sort of bonus for filling up one bar there will be be CPUs doing nothing once TWEW fills up. This is assuming all the red bars added up contribute to the big bar at the top of the page.

Untracked

Spent the last few hours getting aquainted with Super Meat Boy, was trying to get to 4-19 for the Potato but I just rage quat on 4-8 (Wiebe). The game is really cool, love the music, but it makes me rage like a motherfucker!

Time to chill on Audiosurf.

Got a grand total of 5 spuds. Which is better than nothing I suppose.

megalowho

scogoth said:
The total time collectively spent playing the games is what matter. The more time played the sooner portal 2 is released. The potatoes are some kind of multiplier.
Thanks, been trying to figure this out too. I can run a few of these I already have in the bg for the cause.

I think that the way Steam knows how long you have been playing for, is from the number from the time played on the game page in your list of games.

Now if you have one game running in the background the time ticks up like it should.

If you then run a second game it then only ticks up the time on the newest game you launched, and the first game you ran no longer ticks up.

Most people are focusing on TWEOTW, so I would have everyone only run that game in the background and try focusing on that.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Can't believe some people's reactions to this. Portal 2 is going to come out a bit early and Steam ran a big sale on some cool indie games. Win-win.

pix

piV8d.png

The M.O.B

Step up the pace people!

We were 13:40 ahead, now it's down all the way to 11:85 ahead of schedule.

:( Electric companies are probably snickering at us as we leave our computers on all day

EDIT: False alarm, we have climbed back to 13 hours ahead.

The M.O.B said:
Step up the pace people!

We were 13:40 ahead, now it's down all the way to 11:85 ahead of schedule.

:( Electric companies are probably snickering at us as we leave our computers on all day

I still see 13 something. I don't think we can go backwards.

edit: Just saw it move to 12.68. Weird.

edit2: Now 14.30

What shit is this?

pix

It can move backwards because its a projected time. When people stop playing games we arent giving as much power.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Untracked said:
Spent the last few hours getting aquainted with Super Meat Boy, was trying to get to 4-19 for the Potato but I just rage quat on 4-8 (Wiebe). The game is really cool, love the music, but it makes me rage like a motherfucker!

Time to chill on Audiosurf.

Got a grand total of 5 spuds. Which is better than nothing I suppose.
You don't have to play SMB levels in a row. Once you open up world 4 you can go straight to 4-19.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
stuminus3 said:
If all the CS addicts would stop and do anything else it'd pretty much be the solution to the world's problems.

really? you want them interacting with the real world?

Sitting in Audiosurf hoping to help out a little. Such a massive ARG for just 12 hours ahead of schedule release, I'm sure Valve has something planned.

Top Bottom