• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am somewhat happy the game isn't out yet, because I still have time to get all 36 Potatoes! I want the super special prize!

samoset

Well I'm out. I dedicated one full day to idling and the returns I'm seeing just really aren't worth worrying about. Hopefully Valve will learn to lighten up on these things in the future so they don't become tedious, soul sucking wait-a-thons.

I am trying to unlock the Amnesia DLC potato (Justine) but I always die at the end because I don't spin those valves fast enough, even if I move my mouse like crazy it still goes slow, any tips? can I bind that action to a key? I noticed on the settings there is a "rotate" action bound to "r", but it didn't do anything. HALP! need potatos!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
StuBurns said:
I'd be surprised if the boxed PC/Mac version sells that well really, those people need to use Steam anyway, unless bandwidth is tight I don't see the advantage.

I didn't say millions and millions per-platform. :p

WEGGLES said:
Woo! 4 hours early!
Well, my idea sounds better in conjunction with the GLaDOS@Home thing.
4 hours (11 for me; up to 36!) + whatever time has been knocked off by us already

It would be better than the current system, that's for sure.

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
I didn't say millions and millions per-platform. :p
Yeah it wasn't meant to read as questioning your statement, I just meant releasing early only really affects the retail PC/Mac sales, which I imagine are pretty minimal.

JaseC

StuBurns said:
Yeah it wasn't meant to read as questioning your statement, I just meant releasing early only really affects the retail PC/Mac sales, which I imagine are pretty minimal.

Ah, I see. I'd agree.

Baha

The Omega Man said:
I am trying to unlock the Amnesia DLC potato (Justine) but I always die at the end because I don't spin those valves fast enough, even if I move my mouse like crazy it still goes slow, any tips? can I bind that action to a key? I noticed on the settings there is a "rotate" action bound to "r", but it didn't do anything. HALP! need potatos!

Here's a trick I learned on that part when I beat it,
if you're having trouble opening the valve, run to the left side of the room and hide. The monster chasing you is blind and as long as you stay crouched he can't hear you move unless you're really close. Wait for him to move to the right side of the room and then move to the door and spin it as fast as you can to open it. I managed to get past him that way despite failing to open the door the first time. It might also help to turn your volume down so that the music and his wailing don't make your nervous.

Also, turn up your sensitivity a bit and just do small circles when you spin the valve.

JaseC

CrookedRain said:
Change the difficulty to easy in the options if you can't beat it.

You can also use Cheat Engine to slow the game down. I had to do this since the crazy visual effects in Mega mode started giving me a headache. Once the game was slowed down it was fine.

Mairu

Zombie James said:
Well, if there's one piece of good news... http://hasportal2launchedyet.com/

The "longest" game has an ETA of roughly 18.5 hours until it's completed at the current pace, so every game might get done by tomorrow night.
How the fuck does it calculate those times? 18.5 hours on Bit.Trip Beat but Killing Floor and Amnesia have been taking the longest yet they have <3 hours for Amnesia and 44 minutes for killing floor? Whatever its doing, its doing it wrong

Baha

Anybody here get the Top of the Class achievement yet for Defense Grid? I beat both levels on normal and impossible but I can't find any walkthroughs or build orders for CHAS 2 on campaign challenge. Since I got all the potatoes, I'm doing achievements.

CrookedRain said:
Change the difficulty to easy in the options if you can't beat it.

Even on easy, the boss is a killer. One thing I don't like is that Mega and Hyper bars are not interlinked. If you play perfect in the whole game and make a few mistakes somewhere, when you go to the boss there is no chance of screwing up cause you can lose Mega.

Boss isn't hard. Maintaining the damn beat is hard.

Baha said:
Here's a trick I learned on that part when I beat it,
if you're having trouble opening the valve, run to the left side of the room and hide. The monster chasing you is blind and as long as you stay crouched he can't hear you move unless you're really close. Wait for him to move to the right side of the room and then move to the door and spin it as fast as you can to open it. I managed to get past him that way despite failing to open the door the first time. It might also help to turn your volume down so that the music and his wailing don't make your nervous.

Also, turn up your sensitivity a bit and just do small circles when you spin the valve.

thanks baha, gonna try as soon as I wake up tomorrow and report back, I collected like 10 potatoes today and I am up to 23, I don't know if I'll be able to get them all, I am saving the 2 potatoes from cogs and the last potato from Audiosurf from last because right now I don't think I am capable of getting those (I suck bad at those games)

Atomski

shagg_187 said:
Even on easy, the boss is a killer. One thing I don't like is that Mega and Hyper bars are not interlinked. If you play perfect in the whole game and make a few mistakes somewhere, when you go to the boss there is no chance of screwing up cause you can lose Mega.

Boss isn't hard. Maintaining the damn beat is hard.
I swear this game makes me feel like I have a mental issue. I completely lose all focus and a cant keep up with all the stuff moving around.. even on easy.

Atomski said:
I swear this game makes me feel like I have a mental issue. I completely lose all focus and a cant keep up with all the stuff moving around.. even on easy.

Yeah me too... :/

My fingers start twitching as if I'm about to hit seizure and the beats that bounce off the walls in sinusoidal wave PISSES ME THE FUCK OFF CAUSE I CAN'T ALIGN THEM AT ALL!!

XeroSauce

Baha said:
Anybody here get the Top of the Class achievement yet for Defense Grid? I beat both levels on normal and impossible but I can't find any walkthroughs or build orders for CHAS 2 on campaign challenge. Since I got all the potatoes, I'm doing achievements.

There is a save file on the Wiki, otherwise,
load up on gun turrets and ignore the first entrance. Start in the little square part first, then move over the the wider area quickly.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
So I just added up the number of concurrent CPUs involved and its only s few over 20,000.

You're telling me of the 1.7 million gamers online on steam, only 1.2% of steam users cares about unlocking the game early.

Even 5x that up to 100k and it should go much faster (well you would expect 5x faster). Major disappointment valve and portal fan community.

It would seem to me that this is massively below the expected number and is the reason its happening so slowly.

It also proves just how insignificantly small the gaming population online is and how little impact they really have on anything. Small and loud. People wonder why devs don't cater more towards the forum fans... Makes sense to me.

Dilly

Banned
Original-Blue said:
So I just added up the number of concurrent CPUs involved and its only s few over 20,000.

You're telling me of the 1.7 million gamers online on steam, only 1.2% of steam users cares about unlocking the game early.

Even 5x that up to 100k and it should go much faster (well you would expect 5x faster). Major disappointment valve and portal fan community.

It would seem to me that this is massively below the expected number and is the reason its happening so slowly.

It also proves just how insignificantly small the gaming population online is and how little impact they really have on anything. Small and loud. People wonder why devs don't cater more towards the forum fans... Makes sense to me.
I'm just not interested in spending another 40 bucks to unlock Portal 2 earlier.

Jintor

I would love to know why joining Nelipot gives you a potato. I'm glad to have a spud and all. But... why Nelipot?

/edit Hmm, I guess their creator only has Potato pack games on their profile, and their "Portal: First Slice" account has Portal 2 co-op pics in it. Plant group I guess. Still... why?

The M.O.B

Original-Blue said:

What worse is seeing people who can help, but are too busy playing Black Ops for hours on end. :/

The M.O.B

Dilly said:
I'm just not interested in spending another 40 bucks to unlock Portal 2 earlier.

You don't have a single one of the games in the pack? Any of those games will help the cause. No need to buy the whole pack.

Original-Blue said:

I wrote almost the same thing just before GAF went down, but it didn't post. There have been on average about 20k-25k concurrent users playing the Potato games throughout the day. Many people own Killing Floor, yet a very small percentage are playing, which means the people who didn't pre-order Portal 2 have no desire to help release the game early.

Jintor

You know, on reflection the best way for this brute force thing to have gone might've been to have GlaDOS hack Steam itself and make some kind of GlaDOS@Home option available that tasktrays or just is part of the steamplatform, and the power of the computations is multiplied for every potato that account has (and/or potato game, etc). That would be slightly less annoying at least, and that way people who want to play BlackOps or TF2 or whatever could still contribute.

The M.O.B said:
What worse is seeing people who can help, but are too busy playing Black Ops for hours on end. :/
Actually, the worst is all the people giving up already. We were on pace to get the game over a day early but people are starting to drop out now and we're down to 23 hours early. That hasportal2launchedyet.com site is calculating the time wrong and isn't taking into account the already completed percentage. This site is more accurate.. http://www.gamingmasters.co.uk/portal/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CrookedRain said:
Actually, the worst is all the people giving up already. We were on pace to get the game over a day early but people are starting to drop out now and we're down to 23 hours early.

You really shouldn't blame people for this. Unlike potato hunting, which requires genuine participation, the demand here is stupid. Boot a game and leave it.

I'm still going to help out by idling the games I have, but I dont blame people for being uninterested. The bars are moving too slowly, there's no sense of accomplishment, and the goal seems far too far away.

Valve dropped the ball with this one.

EatChildren said:
You really shouldn't blame people for this. Unlike potato hunting, which requires genuine participation, the demand here is stupid. Boot a game and leave it.

I'm still going to help out by idling the games I have, but I dont blame people for being uninterested. The bars are moving too slowly, there's no sense of accomplishment, and the goal seems far too far away.

Yep, personally i'd rather use my PC to play games I actually want to play.

IceMarker

EatChildren said:

Seriously, I've lost so much respect for Valve with this one, if you're gonna tease us with an early release of Portal 2 don't underwhelm us with distant goals where even focused groups of thousands can't fill a fucking progress bar to even 50%.

Red

EatChildren said:

Yup. It was excellent right until the end. Even if we had a final puzzle, even if it took a day or two, it would have been massively better than sitting here and idling or dicking around in any of these games without any specific task. They're all at least decent games, but potato hunting was way more engaging than playing simply for the sake of playing.

Top Bottom