• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

JoeBoy101

Wait a sec.

Recalculating new launch projection/

EDIT:

19:55 - Calculations complete for The Wonderful End of the World. Recalculating a new launch projection...

Feep

Banned
Pipomantis said:
Yeah but it means we don't need all 13 games.

Now I'll focus my efforts on AAAAAAAA.
Irrelevant; the total speed of the bar increasing will not speed up. In fact, it will go down, as anyone playing TWEOTW for actual fun will no longer be contributing.

Edit: OH SHI-

08:57 - Default boot scheduled to finish in 82:59:52
08:58 - Activating emergency distributed computing grid...
09:00 - GLaDOS@home starting...
09:01 - Recruiting cpus to force faster boot sequence...
19:55 - Calculations complete for The Wonderful End of the World. Recalculating a new launch projection...

TheExodu5

Banned

It went down by an hour, roughly.

The M.O.B

DON'T GIVE UP

Leave all of your computers on over night with every game you have running, We can be playing Portal 2 by SATURDAY NIGHT

I still say Valve is in cahoots with all the electric companies to raise our bills >_<

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean, it just seems like Valve overestimated their numbers by a factor of three or so. This could have been a reasonable activity, if it wasn't so damn slow.

JoeBoy101

TheExodu5 said:

It went down by an hour, roughly.

Where's that spreadsheet? The one with pixel value for the different games? I think it dropped based on it's pixel value.

Jintor

I would agree with that assessment, yeah.

If I thought we had a fair chance of unlocking it by the end of this weekend I'd be more into it. As it is I'll just leave audiosurf on in the background while I law it up, I guess.

TheExodu5 said:
I took before/after screenshots. Went down by roughly ~50 minutes.
All you have to do is look at the default boot schedule and the projected launch counter...

The projected launch time is a bullshit estimate anyway. If we had all of the rest of the games at 99% but none of them had finished, the project launch time would still be the same.

Yea, I'm throwing in the towel. I'm taxing my system and it doesn't seem like much is changing. Though one of the computations is now full.

I thought with the Steam userbase we'd breeze through it tonight.

The Technomancer

I mean...this doesn't seem physically possible. How could they have miscalculated this? 15% in 12 hours would give us an extra day at max. Thats what all the fuss was about?

I REALLY hope that Valve is looking at the current stats and is planning to retool things, as much as I love them this is kinda ridiculous. I can't be running my computer all day for such a tiny result.

Blizzard

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I took before/after screenshots. Went down by roughly ~50 minutes.
I'm guessing there are a set number of "calculations" which correspond to the number of owners of each game (maybe owners before this event, since otherwise new people buying it would make it take even longer). If end of the world had the least owners, it "only" took 2400 people some 11 hours to do all the "computations". Say, 26400 units of computation. Killing Floor might make the projected estimate go down significantly more, by maybe several hours, but on the other hand it might take 100,000 people a couple of days just to do that, lol.

The_Technomancer said:
I mean...this doesn't seem physically possible. How could they have miscalculated this? 15% in 12 hours would give us an extra day at max. Thats what all the fuss was about?
DICE hasn't gotten their million Facebook likes yet either. Guess some people overestimate their fanbase. I really can't see this making Valve any more popular with their preorder fanbase, especially the (presumably sizable) portion who are adults with day jobs, for whom releasing a spoiler-able pirated highly anticipated single-player game on a weekday is a really bad thing.

sflufan said:
Be glad that EA is even letting Valve consider releasing it early on Steam when you consider the potential lost revenue for EA if people decided to go with Steam as opposed to a retail copy if the release were significantly earlier.
EA has absolutely no control over Steam's releases as far as I'm aware. I feel like it would hurt EA more than it would hurt Steam, but whatever.

sflufan

Banned
Be glad that EA is even letting Valve consider releasing it early on Steam when you consider the potential lost revenue for EA if people decided to go with Steam as opposed to a retail copy if the release were significantly earlier.

The M.O.B

sflufan said:

I highly doubt EA has ANY control over what Valve does.

I start to think that all this process will go at exponential speed. It won't take as much time now because we know that one game will go faster than the others.

Plus, we don't start ftom scratch and for each game that we complete, the other bars continue to grow.

I think it might go faster than we think.

But that could just be me being a bit too much optimistic here.

Once more and more people get these Potatoes it should increase dramatically. I need to get a shit ton more (can't until tomorrow unfortunately. If i can even get them) but once the multiplyer is up there, we should fly through this.
Hopefully.

commissar

Man this last part would have been amazing if it was a SETI@Home application redressed as GlaDOS@Home.

So we could have been doing something worthwhile AND it would have been the same thematically.

This thing is just....boring.

The Technomancer

Blizzard said:
DICE hasn't gotten their million Facebook likes yet either. Guess some people overestimate their fanbase. I really can't see this making Valve any more popular with their preorder fanbase, especially the (presumably sizable) portion who are adults with day jobs, for whom releasing a spoiler-able pirated highly anticipated single-player game on a weekday is a really bad thing.
Yeah, I guess. One of the things I've always known Valve for is their obsessive number-crunching and psychological analysis of their customers though.

epmode

The_Technomancer said:
Maybe they want to make sure it releases on a workday.

So disappointing D:

jediyoshi

sflufan said:

If EA cared that much, they probably wouldn't've have let them get away with the PS3/PC approach they set up. That and Valve probably gets pretty free reign on how they release their stuff anyway.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Pipomantis said:
I start to think that all this process will go at exponential speed.
Phantom Limbs said:
Once more and more people get these Potatoes it should increase dramatically.
The bar filled up and we've hit the first stage.
Five Stages Of Grief

Denial and Isolation.
At first, we tend to deny the loss has taken place, and may withdraw from our usual social contacts. This stage may last a few moments, or longer.

Anger.
The grieving person may then be furious at the person who inflicted the hurt (even if she's dead), or at the world, for letting it happen. He may be angry with himself for letting the event take place, even if, realistically, nothing could have stopped it.

Bargaining.
Now the grieving person may make bargains with God, asking, "If I do this, will you take away the loss?"

Depression.
The person feels numb, although anger and sadness may remain underneath.

Acceptance.
This is when the anger, sadness and mourning have tapered off. The person simply accepts the reality of the loss.

HBroward

If people could all jump on 1,2,3 Kick It, it would help all lot. That is the new focus, due to it having the next lowest requirement to hit.

J-Rod

I think Valve's expectation is for everyone to buy/play the games all weekend then release Portal 2 a day early. I think this is the pace they wanted it to go at, if not a little slower.

Jintor

The M.O.B said:
I highly doubt EA has ANY control over what Valve does.

Can't they shut them out of retail? The vast majority of the market is still in boxed copies, no matter how awesome DD is

/edit EA is still the Valve distributors in stores right?

Dance In My Blood said:
The bar filled up and we've hit the first stage.
Five Stages Of Grief

Denial and Isolation.
At first, we tend to deny the loss has taken place, and may withdraw from our usual social contacts. This stage may last a few moments, or longer.

Anger.
The grieving person may then be furious at the person who inflicted the hurt (even if she's dead), or at the world, for letting it happen. He may be angry with himself for letting the event take place, even if, realistically, nothing could have stopped it.

Bargaining.
Now the grieving person may make bargains with God, asking, "If I do this, will you take away the loss?"

Depression.
The person feels numb, although anger and sadness may remain underneath.

Acceptance.
This is when the anger, sadness and mourning have tapered off. The person simply accepts the reality of the loss.

Maybe it unlocks at the fifth stage! GET ANGRY EVERYONE!

epmode

So the total number of CPUs has been around 20k each time I've checked. Killing Floor has been around 4k or 5k users since this started and look at its bar. Even if everyone stuck with that game exclusively, that one bar would still take an incredibly long time.

Ugh.

WEGGLES

Maybe the bars are tied to potatoes? Not number of people playing.

EDIT:

An additional theory seen through the interwebz is that until you close out of a game you've played/idled, that time is not added. Food for thought.

Perhaps?

Twig

Banned
Jintor said:
Can't they shut them out of retail? The vast majority of the market is still in boxed copies, no matter how awesome DD is

/edit EA is still the Valve distributors in stores right?
Pretend EA did that. Valve would go, "All right, we'll use a different publisher!" Now imagine EA's reaction.

HBroward

Supposedly it updates after you quit playing the game, so it should shoot up when people exit finish their mammoth play sessions.

The M.O.B

And to think that Valve was headed towards such amazing amounts of win, all they had to do was flash a quick screenshot of G-Man or something and we would be in full on Fan-fic mode while we are Playing Portal 2............................ then reality set in and we realized we are getting Portal a day early barely with not even a solid hint at EP3.

BUT for Valve's sake, I will keep SMB running in the background as it doesn't hog much resources, its the least I can do.

Mairu

HBroward said:
If people could all jump on 1,2,3 Kick It, it would help all lot. That is the new focus, due to it having the next lowest requirement to hit.
It's gone from <500 to >1000 since the wonderful end of the world finished, so it's getting more people on it fairly quickly

Top Bottom