• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Jintor

Honestly hoping someone at Valve realises the exciting game has suddenly become drudgery and moves the goalposts a little closer

dream

You know, I respect Valve's commitment to finish the game they started but there's something fucked up about console pirates being able to play Portal 2 for the past day while we're all sitting here wasting CPU cycles to try to unlock our pre-loaded copies.

StuBurns

Banned
I just watched a playthru of Justine out of curiosity (I played a little of the normal game but I don't like it), I loved how it ended.

I haven't really been following the individual added stuff, but is the Ball and Amnesia content the biggest two additions? Is there a break down of changes somewhere?

Dilly

Banned
The M.O.B said:
You don't have a single one of the games in the pack? Any of those games will help the cause. No need to buy the whole pack.

Nope, but none of the games really seem to interest me anyway.

blamite

Jintor said:
I would love to know why joining Nelipot gives you a potato. I'm glad to have a spud and all. But... why Nelipot?

/edit Hmm, I guess their creator only has Potato pack games on their profile, and their "Portal: First Slice" account has Portal 2 co-op pics in it. Plant group I guess. Still... why?
Apparently mapping the locations pointed to by the sound files from the second round of potatoes and then connecting the dots spelled out Nelipot, and the markings on the wall in the creator's Portal 2 screenshots formed a QR code leading to last night's countdown. That's what I gathered from reading the wiki, at least.

dream said:
You know, I respect Valve's commitment to finish the game they started but there's something fucked up about console pirates being able to play Portal 2 for the past day while we're all sitting here wasting CPU cycles to try to unlock our pre-loaded copies.
Agreed 100%.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
stuminus3 said:
Miserable fuckers.

Who's miserable? I dont really care either way since I know I'll be playing Portal 2 at some point, I'm just trying to work out what intention Valve had with this.

The ARG has gone from something very active to something very, very bland. The potato updates required active participating from those wishing to get involved, actually playing the games and searching for things.

Now it's become boring, as there's no goal other than "play the games". Worst of all, there's no sense of accomplishment or progress. The bars are moving very, very slowly. The projected release is only ~24 hours from the actual release. The incentive that once was there is now gone.

Valve either never intended for the game to launch all that early, and this is more of a marketing blitz. Or, they intended more participation, which isn't going to happen as this stage of the ARG is poorly designed.

Either answer doesn't phase me. But I dont blame anybody for no longer being interested in participating. It's too vague with no sense of progress. Simply put, it's goddamn boring.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dilly said:
Nope, but none of the games really seem to interest me anyway.
You should download the Audiosurf demo to at least try it out.

It's a great game, especially on Vegas mode.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
The worst thing is that pirates are playing it already.

I thought earlier upon buying the potato pack that this was a good idea, but now I'm just totally bored, the progress is so slow and I can only imagine how painful this weekend will be just sitting here playing games that I'm not really enjoying...

Not only pirates, but people are already playing the Xbox and PS3 versions. PC gamers were supposed to be the first and now we are on track to be the last.

Jintor

blamite said:
Apparently mapping the locations pointed to by the sound files from the second round of potatoes and then connecting the dots spelled out Nelipot, and the markings on the wall in the creator's Portal 2 screenshots formed a QR code leading to last night's countdown. That's what I gathered from reading the wiki, at least.

Definitely a plant group then. I wonder if the name has any significance though.

Red

Original-Blue said:
The worst thing is that pirates are playing it already.

I thought earlier upon buying the potato pack that this was a good idea, but now I'm just totally bored, the progress is so slow and I can only imagine how painful this weekend will be just sitting here playing games that I'm not really enjoying...
With games like Killing Floor, Super Meat Boy, and Bit.Trip Beat included in the pack, I really don't understand how some people aren't finding value in it. As a package deal it is incredible. I can understand feeling burned that the $40 didn't net you a super early Portal 2 release, but not enjoying any of the games? Toki Tori? Amnesia? These are indie darlings, and for good reason.

Blizzard

Banned
dream said:
Ditto. Plus one of the big advantages of Steamworks is no prerelease piracy. Except wait, you didn't let your most dedicated playerbase play early, so pirates get it instead.

I wasn't involved in the ARG much (only 3 potatos?), but I also think it's kind of weird to end on this note. Anything related to episode 3 was pretty much a pipe dream, but releasing a game half a day early (if that much), with 3 days of doing nothing but idling and wasting power, is hardly riveting.

Lasthope106 said:
Not only pirates, but people are already playing the Xbox and PS3 versions. PC gamers were supposed to be the first and now we are on track to be the last.
Also this, Valve. :( My biggest disappointments are spoilers and not being able to play it much during the week, but I guess that's true of all Tuesday releases.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's not Valve's job to factor in pirates and stores breaking street dates. False sense of entitlement much? This happens all the time with every game and wont ever change. You cant blame Valve for the law breaking of others.

stuminus3

EatChildren said:
Who's miserable? I dont really care either way since I know I'll be playing Portal 2 at some point, I'm just trying to work out what intention Valve had with this.
If you didn't care you'd just be chilling out all night playing Bit.Trip Beat and randomly calling people miserable fuckers.

Lasthope106 said:

Last? Nah you'll still get it(
a few hours
) before us legit consolers, QQ!

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Crunched said:
With games like Killing Floor, Super Meat Boy, and Bit.Trip Beat included in the pack, I really don't understand how some people aren't finding value in it. As a package deal it is incredible. I can understand feeling burned that the $40 didn't net you a super early Portal 2 release, but not enjoying any of the games? Toki Tori? Amnesia? These are indie darlings, and for good reason.
I should clarify that ive only played aaaaa, kick it, cogs and bit trip beat (which I own on Wiiware) so they may not be the best indication of the quality of the games.

I mean more so that this whole thing had made me feel really bummed... I don't know why but I think the pace the bars are moving is turning me off. I would rather leave it and actually go out in the nice day and enjoy my weekend instead of slaving here...

The M.O.B

Lasthope106 said:

I really REALLY hope someone at Valve is aware how fast people are dropping off/getting irritated, yeah the ARG was neat, but lets end this crap and just release the dang thing.

My mood about this has changed about ten times, im now in full on "Stop playing stupid games with us and give us Portal 2 without having to jump through more hoops".

:/

Blizzard

Banned
EatChildren said:
It's not Valve's job to factor in pirates and stores breaking street dates. False sense of entitlement much? This happens all the time with every game and wont ever change. You cant blame Valve for the law breaking of others.
Valve let people preload the game on Steam a week before the release date. Had they released the game to preorders on Steam, virtually no pirates would have had it first. I guess you could argue that the risk is then of the PC version immediately being pirated, but at least legitimate customers could play it at the same time.

Valve totally had a way that they could have let their main platform play first, unless PS3/360 is really more of a cash cow for them than PC Steam.

sflufan

Banned
Blizzard said:
Valve let people preload the game on Steam a week before the release date. Had they released the game to preorders on Steam, no pirates would have had it first. I guess you could argue that the risk is then of the PC version immediately being pirated, but at least legitimate customers could play it at the same time.

Valve totally had a way that they could have let their main platform play first, unless PS3/360 is really more of a cash cow for them than PC Steam.

I will say this once again: we do not know the terms of the contract Valve has with EA for the distribution of the retail copies.

It is entirely possible that the terms of the agreement expressly prohibit Valve from releasing the game significantly earlier on Steam than its street date simply because such an act could have a significantly negative impact on EA's revenues from the retail release.

dimb

Dilly said:
Could be, but I'm not shitting money either.
Most of these games have been on sale for next to nothing. I bought Super Meat Boy for like $3.75, and stuff like Audiosurf has been less than $3 during sales.

This is actually the scammiest thing about the Potato Sack. The pricing on the titles seems very high.

StuBurns

Banned
sflufan said:
I will say this once again: we do not know the terms of the contract Valve has with EA for the distribution of the retail copies.

It is entirely possible that the terms of the agreement expressly prohibit Valve from releasing the game significantly earlier on Steam than its street date simply because such an act could have a significantly negative impact on EA's revenues from the retail release.
Then they could have done something else with the ARG, or had this whole final process take place much closer to when they were willing to unlock it.

Jintor

Dance In My Blood said:
Most of these games have been on sale for next to nothing. I bought Super Meat Boy for like $3.75, and stuff like Audiosurf has been less than $3 during sales.

This is actually the scammiest thing about the Potato Sack. The pricing on the titles seems very high.

You're comparing sales prices to sales prices, man. That's not a logical thing you are doing.

Yes, they were previously really good value, but that's like saying nobody should ever buy Portal because at one point in its lifetime it was free.

Blizzard

Banned
StuBurns said:
Then they could have done something else with the ARG, or had this whole final process take place much closer to when they were willing to unlock it.
I agree with this.

Original-Blue said:
Playing defense grid now - this seems much more like the type of thing that I like!
That was something that caught me by surprise. I'm not much of a tower defense fan, and the maps do tend to be too hard and complicated for me (I almost always lose some cores), but I actually got sucked into playing campaign.

The computer with the British accent is one of the best parts about it, and the subtle music is also nice. Someone should have told me about the British accent!

IceMarker

Somebody should go on a campaign to have everyone not play the potato sack games just so we have the counters all read zero, maybe that would give Valve a wake up call THAT WE CAN'T FUCKING DO THIS EASILY.

Mairu

The only thing that sucks about this is it's a disappointing end to the ARG (
or is it?! :p
). People expecting anyone to cater to console pirates is laughable, has anyone ever responded to a leak by releasing the game early? It's too bad the last phase of this is just "leave game on, go do something else" but everything up to it was pretty fantastic. Those following the ARG closely got to involve themselves pretty heavily in something, those who were casually following it got to check out some neat levels in some indie games.

These ARGs have a pretty tiny appeal as you can see based on the % involved compared to the total amount of concurrent steam users or even comparing it to the sales Portal 2 is likely to garner. It's nice that they put so much effort into everything leading up to the final @home piece.

Even when this part of the ARG was brand new this morning, I was quite frankly disappointed by the number of people who became involved. There are 30 million active Steam users and only 25k were participating.

Valve always talks about performing experiment to see how we respond. This without a doubt is one of the times where they miscalculated how involved the Steam community was going to be.

Twig

Banned
Mairu said:
The only thing that sucks about this is it's a disappointing end to the ARG.
Yep. Anybody complaining about anything else is a huge manbaby with an overzealous sense of entitlement. GET OVER IT!

dimb

Jintor said:
You're comparing sales prices to sales prices, man. That's not a logical thing you are doing.
I don't see how comparing two things that are the same is illogical.

It seems weird to me that games that are now older, that were cheaper in the past, are now not seeing the same discounts when tied into a major promotion that pressures hardcore Valve fans to buy in. And this is with them packaged together, but they had better sales individually priced for some reason. It's crazy to me.

Also, for your example, nobody should buy Portal ever because The Orange Box exists.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Dance In My Blood said:

Whoa whoa whoa.

I acknowledge that Valve needs to rethink the idea for time based unlocks. It only half-works for TF2, and it definitely doesn't work here.

But if you're seriously arguing that between the ARG, the quality of the games to begin with, and the new, free levels, a half-off sale on all potato games and a 75% off (more, if you own Portal 2) bundle is too expensive - or worse scammy - then you're simply out of your mind. These are some of the best indie games in the past two to three years.

Plenty of people bought Super Meat Boy at $15, and it was more than worth the price then due to the massive volume of content and without the level editor. And now you can buy the whole set of 13 indie games for a little more than twice that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
sflufan said:

Not when their cut is about 2% per unit sold.

Red

75% trying to go for this 1 2 3 Kick It potato. I like the game, I think conceptually it's a lot of fun, but damn if the controls aren't frustrating. How do you get 100% here? I don't know where else I can improve. I'm shooting over half the rockets, hitting all the bonus plates I can while keeping a steady stream of points plates and avoiding all obstacles. Is there a particular path you need to go through to hit the ideal number of bonus plates or what?

Jintor

Dance In My Blood said:
It seems weird to me that games that are now older, that were cheaper in the past, are now not seeing the same discounts when tied into a major promotion that pressures hardcore Valve fans to buy in. And this is with them packaged together, but they had better sales individually priced for some reason. It's crazy to me.

I'm guessing a 3 dollar sale isn't something indie developers are neccessarily willing to support all the time, especially when they're going to so much effort to include new content as a promotional tie-in for Valve's own game. I see and respect your views from a consumer standpoint, but what's good for us isn't always what's good for the devteams.

JaseC

sflufan said:
From the article, I see the figure of 30% of the revenue going to the publisher.

Again, EA isn't the publisher. They've never published a Valve game, not even their own PS3 port of The Orange Box.

Valve have been self-publishing since Episode One. Or, more accurately, since their legal battle with Vivendi ended in 2005 (same year they signed on EA as their distributor, actually).

sflufan

Banned
For the retail versions of the game, EA is the publisher while Valve is the developer.

EA makes the packaging materials, EA prints the DVDs, EA handles the distribution. Valve does none of those things.

JaseC

sflufan said:
For the retail versions of the game, EA is the publisher.

EA makes the packaging materials, EA prints the DVDs, EA handles the distribution. Valve does none of those things.

No, you're wrong. EA handles the distribution. That's it.

Dance In My Blood said:

What? The Potato Bundle gives you all the games at 75% off. KF is $5, Amnesia $5, Audiosurf $2.50. I haven't seen Amnesia for $5 before.

sflufan

Banned
JaseC said:
No, you're wrong. EA handles the distribution. That's it.

So are you actually telling me that Valve provides the packaging material and prints the DVD copies of the games for the retail outlets?

JaseC

sflufan said:
So are you actually telling me that Valve provides the packaging material and prints the DVD copies of the games for the retail outlets?

Yes. Every game since Episode One has been self-published by Valve. A quick Google can confirm this for yourself since you seem so doubtful.

Heck, e-mail Gabe if you have to.

Top Bottom