• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

I think we should focus on the games that seem to hold more weight. The number of computations for Killing Floor is currently the biggest, and was bigger than TWEOTW, yet it has one of the lowest percentages. I say everyone focusing on that will yield better results rather than focusing on the easier, quick ones.
I mean we only got an hour knocked off for TWEOTW, the smaller games are likely to give us the same.
But then again, Jesus... 5,000 and it's barely moving. How many more do we need?

HBroward

Potato Sources
(I apologise in advance, the formatting got all kinds of messed up when I copied this from the wiki, and none of the links work, but hey, I tried)

Source Method Password Count In Source

AaAaAA!!! "Kiss" enough Potato Bins to reach 100%. Each bin is worth 5%. (Locations). long fall 2
In the main menu, press the bottom left button. Type in the phrase "Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive." (EXACTLY that, minus quotes). Beat the level that appears with 5 stars. Hit EVERY plate, (choose the one with a higher value in the case of parallel plates) even the 0X7FFF plate, for 58517 points. You can also "Thread the Needle" to the immediate right of the starting point for another 5500 points. Video of a perfect score.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent Create a profile named "Casbah" (case sensitive) (based on clues from phonograph puzzle) troubled memories 2
In the "Justine" DLC game, save the 3 men, collect all 9 notes, the wax cylinder, and examine the statue and grave. Video walkthrough.

Audiosurf Beat the song Icy_Murderous_I.mp3 from Killing Floor on Ninja Mono, and get a gold medal. rail rider 2
Get a gold medal (on any difficulty) on the new song, "The Device Has Been Modified" (labeled in Audiosurf Radio as "TEST -- For Science"). (Here is a guide to getting an easy gold.)

BIT.TRIP BEAT Get to the boss in Descent and enter MEGA mode (MEGA Mode is when your background says MEGA not when the top right corner says MEGA) as soon as you can. Stay in MEGA mode throughout the battle and you'll get the login screen. Works on easy. chips challenge 3
Complete the <TEST> level.
Complete the <TEST> level, again, until you get a different page.

Cogs Solve the second hidden puzzle ("BestLaidSchemes...") with Master Mechanic (Gold/Gold/Gold). The latest round of updates has changed the solution by making the gray blocks immovable. Video guideslocated here. movable panels 3
Complete the "WCC" level with Master Mechanic (Gold/Gold/Gold) (apparently). Requires 300 Stars to unlock (save file on the Cogs page). Video guides located here, too.
Complete the "In the Box" level with Master Mechanic (Gold/Gold/Gold). Requires 400 Stars to unlock (save file on the Cogs page). Video guides located here, too.

Defense Grid Login user "jsharman" with password "ultraz7x4" in the console, run "tonylanche" and win the dot game. (Easy instructions here.) deadly lasers 6
An updated version of the tonylanche console program (used for the first login) was added called super_tonylanche. Open the console, type: twood (as username) > GradsNotRads (as password) > i_beat_tonylanche_for_real > eimqufjnrv (as password, this will work for everyone)
In console, login as "twood" password "GradsNotRads", go to "cd inventory", and run "enter_missing_unit". Use "kungfuhustle".
In console, login as "twood" password "GradsNotRads", run "mutation". Get to round 18, then press "A". (I got this when I got to 17, may be even less.)
In console, login as "twood" password "GradsNotRads", run "mutation". Get a score over 3000 and press b.
Complete CHAS with a gold medal on campaign and earn the achievement "Few and Proud". Then, in the console, login as "jsharman", password "Ultraz7x4". Run "cd recruitment", followed by, "recruit", you'll then be booted to the Steam overlay, and the Aperture audio page.
Here is a save file to speed it up. Save File

1 2 3 KICK IT! Play the SED.zip mp3 and surpass 50,000 points. ugly truth 3
Gain 100% (230,000 points) on the new song "Alive and Kicking.mp3" with Razer hardware.
(Use this if you do not have Razer hardware) (Some people were having issues with Winject; here's a different DLL loader to try)
Same as above, without Razer hardware. Use this, if needed.

Killing Floor Purchase the potato gun in game. You can't use cheats to get the money. failed experiments 3
Press E on the manolantern corpse in Bedlam. "use me" graffiti is again above. Another fast route here. Cannot be obtained playing in "Solo" mode but can be run playing by oneself on a "Listen" MP server.
Activate the computer under the "Use Me" graffiti on the new map, kf_aperture (video). This can be obtained by luring specimens onto the button or near the door. Cannot be obtained playing in "Solo" mode but can be run playing by oneself on a "Listen" MP server.

RUSH Placing specific tiles on "Key to Success" as determined from an image in the 4th RAR file from Amnesia conveyor belts 2
Complete the 5th Actual challenge Level. Solutions are here. joinitforsuccess

Super Meat Boy Die eleven times on level 4-19. death traps 2
Search "FOR MEANING" in the "levels" tab in Super Meat World, which is unlocked with 20 bandages. Login page will pop up automatically.(video)

The Ball All at once get: 89 health, 233 distance from the ball, 26:37 minutes, 3 monkeys killed, 2 deaths, 13 monsters killed and 5 secrets. weighted companion 2
Finish the Portal level that can be found under survival mode. Then use "flood" as a password when prompted for one. Video solution located here.

Toki Tori Reach the bottom right part of <TEST> bonus level 2. Solution is here on YouTube. Solutions to the normal levels. bird eggs 2
Beat the real bonus level 6. ZIP and Video solution located here.

The Wonderful End of the World Hold while entering the Arcadia level on timed mode. Get an A+ rating. You can use [Space] to jump on this level. Guide here on YouTube every piece 2
Press "P" while entering the Sugar Candy level on Timed mode, which gives you a level filled with Companion Cubes. Get an A+ on the level. You need to be large enough to pick the cake up - Note however you do not need to pick the cake up to win.

NELIPOT (NLPT) Joining the Steam group "NELIPOT (NLPT)" grants you a potato! Link 1
Golden Potato Once all of the above potatoes are obtained, a 36th potato is granted, and a Golden Potato symbol appears to the left of the Steam Community Profile name. 1
Total: 36

epmode

HBroward said:
Supposedly it updates after you quit playing the game
I don't buy it. That's a lot of needless complexity when they already have the concurrent CPU count. All they're doing is regularly incrementing the bar based on the total CPU count. And I bet that it's also being modified by the total potato count for everyone currently in a Potato Pack game.

The problem is that it's just. Too. Slow.

FStop7

Banned
My guess this morning was that filling each bar would reduce the launch time by 1 hour, so the best case scenario was Portal 2 arriving 13 hours early. I didn't post it because I knew I would have been flamed.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
HBroward said:
If people could all jump on 1,2,3 Kick It, it would help all lot. That is the new focus, due to it having the next lowest requirement to hit.

Downloading now. I preordered portal from amazon so this doesn't really effect me, but its still somehow pretty fun.

Mairu

theinfinityissue said:
Dude. I rarely say I hate a videogame.

But. I hate AAaaaaAAaaa.
I can't say I'm much of a fan of aaaaaaaaaa or 123 kick it either. I'm pretty terrible at the former and just don't really enjoy the controls of the latter

I'm really glad the potato sack got me to purchase Wonderful End of the World though. Yeah, it's just a katamari ripoff but I really enjoyed playing through the whole game after going for the potatoes

Twig

Banned
FStop7 said:
My guess this morning was that filling each bar would reduce the launch time by 1 hour, so the best case scenario was Portal 2 arriving 13 hours early. I didn't post it because I knew I would have been flamed.
That didn't stop me from posting that the ARG had nothing to do with Episode 3! Or a game announcement of any sort!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Any easy way to get the 1st 123 kick it Potato? Last time I tried the song I was about 7k points off still, and that was a number of tries.

Mikey Jr.

Everytime a bar is filled, it should redirect those people into a new game, and so on, and so on.

So maybe its a snowball effect, where is starts off small, but as bars get filled, more people get redirected? And when a bar gets filled, it gives a boost?

Of course this doesnt work if people are still playing end of the word.

There should be a gaf collective to focus on one game, that way you can knock them out quickly, preferably the newest ones. I think aaaaa seems like the most likely candidate.

PatzCU

What a lame event to cap off what was an awesome ARG. All Valve had to do was give people something more tangible to do than 'idle in indie games' with the promise of an actual early release and everyone would have been stoked. Instead, people slave away all day to fill up the bar of a game and it chops an hour off the launch time?

Honestly, I'd rather get this game Tuesday than Monday at this point.

Something about the falling mechanic makes me queasy, the controls aren't good enough for a game requiring this kind of precision, I feel like I can't see shit coming towards me because it all looks the same, and I sometimes hit shit I shouldn't hit. All that is subjective, I can see how some people would be better at it.

but if I get this second potato I am getting wasted and forgetting I ever played it.

FStop7 said:

The main progress bar does say, "COMPUTATIONS COMPLETED FOR LAUNCH" so it might launch only when all games are completed.

PatzCU said:
What a lame event to cap off what was an awesome ARG. All Valve had to do was give people something more tangible to do than 'idle in indie games' with the promise of an actual early release and everyone would have been stoked. Instead, people slave away all day to fill up the bar of a game and it chops an hour off the launch time?

Agreed. They had so much momentum going and IMO its dropped off of a cliff. 12-24 hours early? Whoopdie doo.

StuBurns

Banned
PatzCU said:

It's a really strange way to go after all that awesome free Portal content in the potato games. Is the game launching a little early really cooler than the Portal levels in The Ball for example? I don't think so, it seems like they peaked way too early.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
PatzCU said:

Perhaps the strangest aspect of the ARG to me is how old the games are. It would be one thing if the scenario was something more like, "Hey, a bunch of new games came out so go play them a bunch." Instead the Potatoe Sack really only has one game that came out two weeks ago(in an arguably incomplete form) and a bunch of other old crap that all interested parties have already beat into the ground.

And that's not even mentioning Valve's past stance on idling in their own games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Only one hour off per game?

Oh Valve. Talk about anticlimax.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
So I think I just injected the dll and it seems I got the potato.

Then glados says "there are no peanuts or seed allowed near Australia" haha what the?

megalowho

Seems to me that Valve either really overestimated the participation of their userbase in this thing, or they never really intended to release Portal 2 significantly early. Either way, it's been much cooler than most other advertising campaigns and I'll leave something running overnight just in case.

Dance In My Blood said:
Perhaps the strangest aspect of the ARG to me is how old the games are. It would be one thing if the scenario was something more like, "Hey, a bunch of new games came out so go play them a bunch." Instead the Potatoe Sack really only has one game that came out two weeks ago(in an arguably incomplete form) and a bunch of other old crap that all interested parties have already beat into the ground.

And that's not even mentioning Valve's past stance on idling in their own games.
Making people play games in their backlog?

FStop7

Banned
It's also possible the whole thing is scripted and there is no relationship between what's displayed and how many people are actually playing those games.

Or it's possible that it's real and the game will launch early. The ambiguity of it kinda sucks. With the ARG stuff the whole thing was about exploration and solving puzzles. This is about brute force.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Even though I injected the dll I still feel the need to get that 230k high score, and its contibuting CPU counts to the thing I suppose so I guess ill keep trying

Red

FStop7 said:
It's also possible the whole thing is scripted and there is no relationship between what's displayed and how many people are actually playing those games.

Or it's possible that it's real and the game will launch early. The ambiguity of it kinda sucks. With the ARG stuff the whole thing was about exploration and solving puzzles. This is about brute force.
Yeah it's a massive anticlimax. I don't have a problem with the game not releasing early, but I have a problem with the whole thing getting our hopes up. Especially after the timer from last night. Not that the ARG wasn't fun, but getting another task -- a boring one -- as an ending, with the outcome displayed outright... it drains the excitement and energy right out of the whole thing.

I'd rather the mystery continue even if the game wasn't out yet. I liked the metagame involved with figuring out and unlocking the potatoes.

StuBurns

Banned
Crunched said:
Yeah it's a massive anticlimax. I don't have a problem with the game not releasing early, but I have a problem with the whole thing getting our hopes up. Especially after the timer from last night. Not that the ARG wasn't fun, but getting another task -- a boring one -- as an ending, with the outcome displayed outright... it drains the excitement and energy right out of the whole thing.

I'd rather the mystery continue even if the game wasn't out yet. I liked the metagame involved with figuring out and unlocking the potatoes.
I think if it was possible to have unlocked it like six hours, it would have been a great ending, like a hard final push you'd find in a game, but it seems like the effort of this doesn't compare to the pay off and the blue balls.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
sflufan said:
Be glad that EA is even letting Valve consider releasing it early on Steam when you consider the potential lost revenue for EA if people decided to go with Steam as opposed to a retail copy if the release were significantly earlier.

EA acts as nothing more than a distributor, so the most they could do is refuse to carry Valve's games to retail. And if they did that, Valve wouldn't have much trouble at all finding a replacement as their games will still sell millions over the counter, early Steam release or not.

EA has never published a Valve game. They didn't even get to publish their own PS3 port of The Orange Box.

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
EA acts as nothing more than a distributor, so the most they could do is refuse to carry Valve's games to retail. And if they did that, Valve wouldn't have much trouble at all finding a replacement as their games will still sell millions over the counter, early Steam release or not.
I'd be surprised if the boxed PC/Mac version sells that well really, those people need to use Steam anyway, unless bandwidth is tight I don't see the advantage.

Blizzard

Banned
StuBurns said:
I think if it was possible to have unlocked it like six hours, it would have been a great ending, like a hard final push you'd find in a game, but it seems like the effort of this doesn't compare to the pay off and the blue balls.
People are already giving up and/or the loss of end of the world hurts. That one release estimate site has already down to under 13 hours early instead of over 16 hours early. Ultimately less than a day doesn't matter since the main reason to have an early release is so people could play it on the weekend, I figure.

Top Bottom