• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

scogoth

TheExodu5 said:
Currently scheduled to come out 5.21 hours ahead of launch. That's 5AM EST on Tuesday morning. Unless it comes out early Monday evening (which would be closer to 15 hours ahead of launch, which would require triple the contributions), this is all pointless. Most of us work on Tuesday and are not going to be staying up until 5AM to play the game.

This is another failed valve trip down the rabbit hole

TheExodu5

Banned
EatChildren said:
There are other places in the world, you know.

So, this will benefit those around Australia's time zone, and those who don't work. That's about it. Even in Europe the scheduled launch time would be later in the work day, which makes the projected launch time early in the work day.

iSimon

TheExodu5 said:
So, this will benefit those around Australia's time zone, and those who don't work. That's about it.
Yes, and an even earlier release would benefit those around the US time zones?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheExodu5 said:
So, this will benefit those around Australia's time zone, and those who don't work. That's about it. Even in Europe the scheduled launch time would be later in the work day, which makes the projected launch time early in the work day.

As an Australian I am okay with this :p.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
TheExodu5 said:

It sounds like you're implying Australia isn't important. What would the world do without our export of Kangaroos for transportation purposes?

CrookedRain said:
People need to stop using the hasportal2releasedyet site. It's doing the calculations wrong and not taking the amount completed into account.

The current counter at the Glados@home is the real thing and so far all the work has lead to a staggering reduction of one hour from the original release time.

TheExodu5

Banned
CrookedRain said:

The problem is that the majority of the game bars will not even get filled up by the release date. Take Toki Tori for example, one of the more full games. It's scheduled to complete somewhere around 80 hours from now, judging by the amount it's progressed in the past 15 hours.

123 and maybe Aaa are the only games that appears to be making it before release time. The rest are finishing too close to release to even matter.

I was going to scan back through the last pages of the thread to see people's reactions when the TWEOTW bar finished, but I don't think I can handle that much disappointment first thing on a morning :(

The M.O.B said:
What about this one? Is this accurate?
Yep, that one is more accurate. The way the other site is calculating it is dividing 100 by the percentage gain per hour. Problem is that he's forgetting to subtract the percentage we've already completed...

Salsa

posted yet ?

B6Rax.jpg

Red

Mister_Bubbles said:
I was going to scan back through the last pages of the thread to see people's reactions when the TWEOTW bar finished, but I don't think I can handle that much disappointment first thing on a morning :(
Who's disappointed? It confirmed we are definitely getting Portal 2 early.

Zomba13

Lasthope106 said:
The current counter at the Glados@home is the real thing and so far all the work has lead to a staggering reduction of one hour from the original release time.
Actually, going by the big 'launch computation' bar, we've knocked off around 20% of the time. 20% in like 14 hours or something? At the current rate we have 56 hours?
Sorry if my math is off.

This is just what I believe btw.

Twig

Banned
Am I allowed to gloat yet about being right that the ARG had nothing to do with a new game announcement? Or do I have to wait until Portal 2 is finally released?

:D

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Think about it, I'd they expected 100,000 ppl to participate it would have been pretty much over already. The way its going I'm just gonna say "cya" and go play stuff in my backlog.

Ive certainy enjoyed a few of the games in the potato pack and I'll come back to a few of them in the future but I'm not going to spend my weekend on them (super meat boy is the best so far). However I don't have a huge amount of time to play games and I dot usually use my time on average'ish games like some of these are...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It would have been nice if there was something the community could do for the last step to get the game released this weekend. Having it release a day early isn't all that exciting, Especially when the majority of people (i would have thought) would be at work anyway.

The weekend would have been awesome for an SP run through and co-op shenanigans.

Twig

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Why would he spend so much time on a Portal case mod and not even have the game pre-ordered?
He did have it preordered. He gave the key to the guy who responded with that post.

IceMarker

Well I got 7 potatoes as many as I can get with what I own, except AudioSurf. I think that getting potatoes at the moment, while peak Steam user count is low, is more important than idling. Ever since the potatoes have been going from 100,000 to above 200,000 the red bars have increased a ton, proving they have to be some kind of multiplier. At this point all we can do is tell all of our steam friends to join the Nelipot Steam Group and play their potato games. I mean looking at 123 Kick it right now it looks like we only need around 5,000 people with the potatoes we have to complete 123 Kick it calculations.

I think the progress is bugged or something. The red bars haven't moved in a long while now.

Edit: And it looks like I was right. Back to 0 CPUs...

scogoth

CrookedRain said:
I think the progress is bugged or something. The red bars haven't moved in a long while now.

Thats because total steam users has dropped significantly, its on the rise again as europe wakes up though. Go europe!

Zomba13

CrookedRain said:

Edit: And it looks like I was right. Back to 0 CPUs...
Hopefully this is all part of the ARG and in a minute all the CPU readings will read 99999999999999 and GLaDOS will come online.

TheExodu5

Banned
This is really starting to kill my excitement for the game. I know it really shouldn't, but I feel like I'm too focused on this early launch fiasco and I'm just wearing myself out. I wish I could just ignore it. =\

Hopefully I feel a bit better about things tomorrow.

The M.O.B

Zomba13 said:
Hopefully this is all part of the ARG and in a minute all the CPU readings will read 99999999999999 and GLaDOS will come online.

I keep thinking to myself that after I finally sleep, when I awake all the bars will be nearly filled >_<. I'm anxious to find out what the status on this will be in 8-10 or so hours.

Hylian7

Alright, I'm thoroughly CONVINCED the bars have not moved for a little bit. 123 Kick It has stayed at the same number of "CPUs" whatever that means. I doubt it's people/machines playing, because I doubt there are only 505 people playing The Ball right now.

So this begs the question: What exactly are "CPU"'s?

Original-Blue

Neo Member
TheExodu5 said:
This is really starting to kill my excitement for the game. I know it really shouldn't, but I feel like I'm too focused on this early launch fiasco and I'm just wearing myself out. I wish I could just ignore it. =\

Hopefully I feel a bit better about things tomorrow.
This!

Dilly

Banned
Hylian7 said:
Alright, I'm thoroughly CONVINCED the bars have not moved for a little bit. 123 Kick It has stayed at the same number of "CPUs" whatever that means. I doubt it's people/machines playing, because I doubt there are only 505 people playing The Ball right now.

It's not playing at this moment, because the bars only fill up. I guess it's the number of PC's that played the game.

But only 505 seems like such a small amount.

Hylian7 said:

Site is definitely broken right now. It's not being updated.

Dilly said:
It's not playing at this moment, because the bars only fill up. I guess it's the number of PC's that played the game.

But only 505 seems like such a small amount.
It is PCs playing at this moment but the numbers aren't quite updated in real-time.
You can see player counts here and they're only slightly off due to how often the numbers get updated.

Dilly

Banned
CrookedRain said:
It is PCs playing at this moment but the numbers aren't quite updated in real-time.
You can see player counts here and they're only slightly off due to how often the numbers get updated.

Why the hell is Valve expecting that 100k people are going to play Killing Floor simultaneously?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hylian7 said:

The vagueness of the statistic tracking makes helping out even less enticing. I've basically had AaAaAA!!! minimised for fourteen hours. I'll keep it running to see if it helps.

Hylian7

I just noticed something. The site is only updated periodically. Take a look at the source code for it.

Code:
 <div class="game_cpus">1,481 CURRENT CPUS</div>

This was taken from the line saying how many "CPU"'s Kick It has. Notice the "1,481 CURRENT CPUS" bit. That is hardcoded in. No variables are being pulled, no data from anywhere else. That's just straight up HTML. The potato count IS updated on refresh, and you can see the Javascript that pulls that number.

To sum it up: The CPU counts are updated periodically not in real time. For all we know we could have shaved 30 hours off already.

JaseC

Dilly said:
Why the hell is Valve expecting that 100k people are going to play Killing Floor simultaneously?

They're not. The red bars are based on hours played, not concurrent users.

Somebody theorised earlier that the older games in the Sack require mores hours as more people have them. Edit: Wait, no, that doesn't seem right.

Edit again: This does, though:

CrookedRain said:
Not how old they are but how many steam users own the game.

Twig

Banned
Dilly said:
You're reading it entirely the wrong way. It's not SIMULTANEOUS anything.

EDIT: What JaseC said.

JaseC said:
Somebody theorised earlier that the older games in the Sack require mores hours as more people have them.
Can't be.

The Wonderful End of the World was Dejobaan's first game. Both Aaaa and Kick It are newer, with Kick It being the most recently released game - in fact, it's not even actually, officially released, yet - in the pack.

JaseC

Twig said:
You're reading it entirely the wrong way. It's not SIMULTANEOUS anything.

EDIT: What JaseC said.

Can't be.

The Wonderful End of the World was Dejobaan's first game. Both Aaaa and Kick It are newer, with Kick It being the most recently released game - in fact, it's not even actually, officially released, yet - in the pack.

Haha, I had the same brain wave literally seconds ago.

JaseC said:
They're not. The red bars are based on hours played, not concurrent users.

Somebody theorised earlier that the older games in the Sack require mores hours as more people have them.
Not how old they are but how many steam users own the game.

Top Bottom