• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
There really is no more use in completing computations in my opinion. I think every game should just be boosted somewhat before moving on since there seem to be diminishing returns with regards to hours put in and amount of red bar filled up

Red

speculawyer said:
But it is nice to be able to have a little Katamari clone on the PC. For $9.99 it is not worth it . . . but for $5 . . . not a bad little short Katamari game. I got my enjoyment out of it.

The pack is great.

Amnesia . . . great little thriller
Super Meat Boy . . . very highly like platformer
Killing FLoor . . . a good FPS zombie shooter
Toki Tori . . . fun little inexpensive puzzler
Defense Grid . . . a great tower defense game

If you didn't have any of the games, it was a GREAT buy. Even if you had several of the games, it was a good buy. I had all but 2 of the games and still bought it anyway since they did the awesome thing of allowing you to give away extra copies. I gave away most of my extra copies already, some trades, some random gifts, etc.

I think the Potato pack was cool.

But the whole ARG thing . . . it has gone on for too long, too many potatoes, and many of them are just damn hard to get.

And being an energy geek, I don't like the thought of thousands of computers just idling in order to get some company to release a game a few hours early . . . that is pretty fucking lame.
Agreed on all points. The whole "final task" is a huge miscalculation on Valve's part. A shame.

I also would say Defense Grid is more than a "great tower defense game." It's one of the best. Same goes for Super Meat Boy and platformers. It is an incredible game that would be a steal at full price. And Killing Floor is always excellent. One of my favorite multiplayer games ever.

ElNarez

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Next game finished. 40 minutes knocked off the timer.

Enough of this shit.

Dude. We get it. You are an impatient baby. Yes, the game will only come one and a half hour earlier than expected. IF NOTHING HAPPENS BETWEEN THEN AND NOW. And that's clearly not the case, like, at all. Stop whining, launch a fucking game and get shit done.

Red

ElNarez said:
Dude. We get it. You are an impatient baby. Yes, the game will only come one and a half hour earlier than expected. IF NOTHING HAPPENS BETWEEN THEN AND NOW. And that's clearly not the case, like, at all. Stop whining, launch a fucking game and get shit done.
The minimal gains aren't worth it to some of us.

Zomba13

UFXbM.png

More potatoes = faster bar completion time confirmed?

TheExodu5

Banned
ElNarez said:

Launch a game and get shit done?

I'm just reading A Clash of Kings while I idle in AaaaAa. I'm not that pissed off. I just think this is all rather pointless and I think Valve should have responded differently by now.

The community worked on completing a game for the past 14 hours and all its resulted in is 40 minutes less on the timer. That's just disheartening for a lot of us. We're trying to make things happen, but at this rate, it doesn't even seem worth it to bother with it at all.

KScorp

I'm just wondering if the time reduction only occurs when a game is completed. If you fill up half a bar, for instance, will it contribute 20 minutes off? (Assuming every game takes off 40 minutes...)

I'm also hoping that the more popular games which require more computations take off more time. Still remaining hopeful, but if anything I just have more time to get my last 10 or so potatoes.

Red

DoctorWho said:
IS the AaAaAAAa bar moving faster than expected or is it just me?

Don't forget guys, the completion bar is Valve time.
I think everything's speeding up the more potatoes we get.

PatzCU said:
Still doesn't seem like they do much. 271,185x1 is what it feels like.
And this is what the problem is. It appears to be increasing but it's tough to say if I'm imagining it since it's so minimal.

DoctorWho said:
IS the AaAaAAAa bar moving faster than expected or is it just me?

Don't forget guys, the completion bar is Valve time.

Pretty sure each game has a different number of total hours needed to be filled. I'm guessing that some of that is related to the scope of the game and how many people own the game

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Valve wasn't ready to release the game yet on PC and it still putting the finishing touches on it which is why it's taking so long to fill the bars. I mean cmon now, when was the last time they actually released anything on time?

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Zomba13 said:
UFXbM.png

The wording of that makes it sound like hitting a certain threshold of potatoes will kick the bars into overdrive. But realistically, it is more than likely just a constantly increasing multiplier

ElNarez

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Launch a game and get shit done?

I'm just reading A Clash of Kings while I idle in AaaaAa. I'm not that pissed off. I just think this is all rather pointless and I think Valve should have responded differently by now.

The community worked on completing a game for the past 14 hours and all its resulted in is 40 minutes less on the timer. That's just disheartening for a lot of us. We're trying to make things happen, but at this rate, it doesn't even seem worth it to bother with it at all.

I don't know how many goddamn times I'm going to have to repeat that the timer is the worst case scenario, meaning that if the effort were to come to a dead stop, the game will come out 1:30 earlier. It is not, though, and we will get the progress bar (which is, you know, the actual thing that matters) filled before this countown ends, you can quote me on that.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
So i'm not buying the bundle, but i do have a lot of the games in it. I'm checking out all the portal content in each of them, but so far I don't see anything in Super Meat Boy. Anyone spot the difference?

TheExodu5

Banned
ElNarez said:
I don't know how many goddamn times I'm going to have to repeat that the timer is the worst case scenario, meaning that if the effort were to come to a dead stop, the game will come out 1:30 earlier. It is not, though, and we will get the progress bar (which is, you know, the actual thing that matters) filled before this countown ends, you can quote me on that.

Why are you so angry?

Twig

Banned
I have to believe that for all the people crying about this or that game because they suck at it and had too much trouble getting a stupid potato, there are less vocal people who have discovered just how much they love the games. ):

The worst game in the pack is The Wonderful End of the World, and even that is still decent.

CrookedRain said:
I actually wouldn't be surprised if Valve wasn't ready to release the game yet on PC and it still putting the finishing touches on it which is why it's taking so long to fill the bars. I mean cmon now, when was the last time they actually released anything on time?

You do realise most of us actually have this game on our hard drives ready to run as soon as the decryption keys get released, right?

TimmiT

Zomba13 said:
UFXbM.png

With the firefox plugin and one of the javascript codes, a few more lines appear in the GLaDOS Textual Output:
09:01 - Potatoes multiplier: 2.72
09:01 - Currently saving: 30.178 Hours
maandag 18 april 2011 9:49:11 (Your timezone) - Portal 2 released
So it seems so.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
bistromathics said:
So i'm not buying the bundle, but i do have a lot of the games in it. I'm checking out all the portal content in each of them, but so far I don't see anything in Super Meat Boy. Anyone spot the difference?

There are no new levels in the main game, but once you get 20 bandages and go to Super Meat World some of the levels are part of the ARG.

There are also potatos to unlock by dying 11 times on level 4-19, as well as searching for "FOR MEANING" in the level search feature in Super Meat World.

ElNarez

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Why are you so angry?
Why are you so stupid? You don't like it. You've made your point. You keep making it. At this point it has become white noise. Go post in some other thread. Go back to your book. Do something, anything that's better than just whining on a message board. Please.

Sciz

Twig said:
I have to believe that for all the people crying about this or that game because they suck at it and had too much trouble getting a stupid potato, there are less vocal people who have discovered just how much they love the games. ):
The problem with the Audiosurf guys is that they kept trying to get it on easy, when it was hilariously easier on pro and elite.

ElNarez said:
Why are you so stupid? You don't like it. You've made your point. You keep making it. At this point it has become white noise. Go post in some other thread. Go back to your book. Do something, anything that's better than just whining on a message board. Please.
Hey whining on message boards is at least somewhat entertaining and it's better than watching those bars fill up.

Zomba13

Twig said:

The worst game in the pack is The Wonderful End of the World, and even that is still decent.
Nah, worse is Kick it. That is mostly due to it being in Alpha or beta or something though and not the final version.
I still think Cogs is one of the worse, mostly because I kinda hate sliding part puzzles.

TheExodu5

Banned
ElNarez said:

We're having fun whining together. What's your problem? Put me on ignore if it's such a big deal.

Twig

Banned
Sciz said:
The problem with the Audiosurf guys is that they kept trying to get it on easy, when it was hilariously easier on pro and elite.
I couldn't get the second one on Elite even after like ten tries (kept falling like 30k short), but I switched to Pro and got it first try. J:

I saw your stupid score on elite, though, and I raged a little. ):

Zomba13 said:
Nah, worse is Kick it. That is mostly due to it being in Alpha or beta or something though and not the final version.
I still think Cogs is one of the worse, mostly because I kinda hate sliding part puzzles.
I hated Kick It when I played the first song for the first potato, but I grew into it for the second song/potato. Enough to play another song before I got annoyed at having to copy music into the folder every time. D:

And I hate sliding puzzles, too, but something about Cogs overrides that hatred. It's hard as goddamn hell, but I still like it.

blamite

Just bought Bit.Trip. Awesome game.
I already got the two <test> level potatoes, but I'm not sure how to get the first one on Descent. The wiki used to say that you had to get the ball behind the boss, but now apparently you have to stay in Mega mode for most of the battle? Does anyone know the exact requirement?

Nabs

Sciz said:
Yep. The easier ones were also really boring to play.

Twig

Banned
blamite said:
I already got the two <test> level potatoes, but I'm not sure how to get the first one on Descent. The wiki used to say that you had to get the ball behind the boss, but now apparently you have to stay in Mega mode for most of the battle? Does anyone know the exact requirement?
Yeah I don't know what "behind the boss" even means. I just got it by being Mega mode from the start, and like mid-boss-fight the game autopaused and opened up the login screen.

Sakurina

blamite said:
The login screen popped up for me when I got the ball behind the boss while in Mega mode.

blamite

Twig said:
Yeah I don't know what "behind the boss" even means. I just got it by being Mega mode from the start, and like mid-boss-fight the game autopaused and opened up the login screen.
Alright, guess I just need to stop sucking for long enough to stay in Mega for more than 30 seconds at a time. >.>

Baha

Twig said:

Since the boss fight is essentially a match of breakout, they mean get the pixel behind him.

Twig

Banned
If you just get to the boss in mega mode, without too much damage from the actual level, staying in mega mode DURING the boss fight is pretty easy.

You might even want to intentionally go into nether mode shortly before the boss, to reset your damage counter when you get back into mega mode.

Baha said:
Since the boss fight is essentially a match of breakout, they mean get the pixel behind him.
Ah. Well, I still had at least one layer of bricks to go through when I got the login screen, so... I dunno. D:

Blizzard

Banned
Sciz said:
Is it really that easy to get 500k+ points on advanced modes, especially if you've never played Audiosurf before? Also I don't trust anything you say is easy, after you used to get those high Shatter scores. :mad:

Zomba13

Twig said:
I hated Kick It when I played the first song for the first potato, but I grew into it for the second song/potato. Enough to play another song before I got annoyed at having to copy music into the folder every time. D:

And I hate sliding puzzles, too, but something about Cogs overrides that hatred. It's hard as goddamn hell, but I still like it.
I think part of my Kick It dislike comes from the only two songs I played (that were very different) ended up being exactly the same after a minute or so. Like a few orange bars, 10 gate by it, 10 gate in middle, 10 gat a bit further, orange bars, repeat for like a minute +.

I suppose I should try more music before I uninstall it though.

Twig said:

Honestly, aaaa can go choke on a dick.

OK, I'm just stupidly bad at it. :[

Baha

Blizzard said:
Is it really that easy to get 500k+ points on advanced modes, especially if you've never played Audiosurf before? Also I don't trust anything you say is easy, after you used to get those high Shatter scores. :mad:

Actually it's a lot easier on Pro where the target is 335k.

Twig

Banned
Zomba13 said:
I think part of my Kick It dislike comes from the only two songs I played (that were very different) ended up being exactly the same after a minute or so. Like a few orange bars, 10 gate by it, 10 gate in middle, 10 gat a bit further, orange bars, repeat for like a minute +.

I suppose I should try more music before I uninstall it though.
When you say "two songs" are you talking about the two potato songs? 'Cause they were completely different for me.

Sciz

Twig said:
I couldn't get the second one on Elite even after like ten tries (kept falling like 30k short), but I switched to Pro and got it first try. J:

I saw your stupid score on elite, though, and I raged a little. ):
The thing all of the "just match one color" guys are missing is that there's a 30% bonus for clearing 2+ colors at once. Makes a huge difference. Working for a full 21-block clear also helps.

That elite score was only my second try.

Nabs said:
Yep. The easier ones were also really boring to play.
You can't even get a cascade rolling on easy, it's terrible.

Blizzard said:
It's easier in the sense that it's deterministic rather than, as people keep complaining, reliant mostly on how many cubes the game generates. A proper elite mode would be nightmarish for a newbie, but when there's only two colors on the field the game's complexity is enormously reduced. As long as you never stop picking stuff up (and don't ruin your grid in the process), you'll stumble into scoring well without really knowing how it works. Having the twitch skill to keep your grid clean is the biggest hurdle.

Scoring well in Shatter is mostly luck, once you figure out how scoring works.

Red

Kept having trouble with the Audiosurf potato for The Device Had Been Modified. A really fun song to play but I was coming up short track after track. Tried again just now and my first four blocks were companion cubes. Ended up with 351,000 points. Finally luck has graced me.

What's up with the insanely high global scores? Over a billion points? How the hell?

Top Bottom