• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Twig

Banned
Sciz said:
You can't even get a cascade rolling on easy, it's terrible.
I actually hate playing on Pro, too. Pointman is my favorite mode, and you can't even postpone the board clearing by picking up new blocks on pro. Only works on elite.

P.S. Suck my butt! Second try my left pinky. ):

I used to play Elite Pointman Ironmode, but now I almost never play the game so I can't even do that. ):

Stitch

Gold Member
oh fuck amnesia. stupid monster got me because i didn't close the door fast enough. you don't even get a second chance, the fucking game just closes itself.

chixdiggit

Stitch said:
oh fuck amnesia. stupid monster got me because i didn't close the door fast enough. you don't even get a second chance, the fucking game just closes itself.
Same happened to me. Only takes like 10 minutes to do the DLC again once you know what you are doing.

Fox318

Someone on the Steam forums finally figured it out:

eo4zh.png

Twig

Banned
Stitch said:
Amnesia, for some reason, destroys my video card during that water section. Completely and utterly. Even after turning all of the settings down to their lowest, and halving the resolution, I played through that section at fifteen frames a second. It was so annoying. And even scarier because I didn't know if I would make it in time thanks to the input lag. D:

I still did it, though.

chixdiggit said:
Same happened to me. Only takes like 10 minutes to do the DLC again once you know what you are doing.
Yeah, and the water section is literally the only part of the DLC where there's any real danger.

Stitch said:
I had to take a break after that. The intensity was unreal. I haven't finished the main campaign yet, but the whole idea of having to start over after dying gave me a different feeling than what I've experienced while playing the original campaign and I loved it.

Sciz

Twig said:
I actually hate playing on Pro, too. Pointman is my favorite mode, and you can't even postpone the board clearing by picking up new blocks on pro. Only works on elite.

P.S. Suck my butt! Second try my left pinky. ):

I used to play Elite Pointman Ironmode, but now I almost never play the game so I can't even do that. ):
Pointman and Pusher are for robots anyway. Eraser on 300+ traffic songs is where the game really begins.

Crunched said:
What's up with the insanely high global scores? Over a billion points? How the hell?
Straight up cheating via memory editing.

Twig

Banned
CrookedRain said:
I had to take a break after that. The intensity was unreal. I haven't finished the main campaign yet, but it gave me a different feeling than what I've experienced while playing the original campaign.
Yeah, it's amazing how fucking tensed up I was while playing the game, even though I knew exactly what I had to do. Fucking Amnesia. D:

(I haven't played the main game at all.)

Sciz said:
Pointman and Pusher are for robots anyway. Eraser on 300+ traffic songs is where the game really begins.
Eraser sucks.
I've never really tried Eraser.

I wish that playing Portal helped do this. I just started a new game to do the radios, and generally get back up to speed with thinking with portals. Ah well, I'm still playing lots of Audiosurf and Meat Boy anyway. 1) Fuck the Gold Medal Audiosurf potato. 2) Fuck the 'I Wanna Be the Guy!' level on Meat Boy :mad:

MONO DEFENCE FORCE

Baha

Green Scar said:
I wish that playing Portal helped do this. I just started a new game to do the radios, and generally get back up to speed with thinking with portals. Ah well, I'm still playing lots of Audiosurf and Meat Boy anyway. 1) Fuck the Gold Medal Audiosurf potato. 2) Fuck the 'I Wanna Be the Guy!' level on Meat Boy :mad:

MONO DEFENCE FORCE

I found the AS potato a lot easier when I played it as I would play mono. Dodged the colors I didn't want and collected those I needed.

Fox318 said:
Someone on the Steam forums finally figured it out:

eo4zh.png
The growth of the bars slows down as the game sells more, so 2 billion people buying and playing the same game would theoretically make less of a difference than you would think. Super Meat Boy totally deserves 2 billion sales though.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Way too many haters.

First off I didn't know there were so many people that didn't like AaAaAA!!. I don't care for the game's humor but the gameplay is rock solid. I've had a ton of fun with it. And Super Meat Boy, Bit Trip Beat, and Amnesia's pedigrees are all well established.

I played Defense Grid for about 90 minutes last night and loved it, too.

Toki Tori is the only other game in the pack I've played, but I also found it to be quite pleasant.

TL;DR: There's a good sale on an indie game pack and Portal two is going to be unlocked a day or two early. So where in the heck does the hate come from? Most ARGs don't even have a proper ending, and there is no precedent for Steam voluntarily unlocking pre-loaded games early.

The funniest thing about the hate is if Portal 2 just launched Tuesday as normal, everyone would be happy. But give gamers the opportunity for early access, and suddenly they become entitled whiners.

chixdiggit

Anyone have extra Potato sack games they want to maybe trade? I have most of them so I really don't want the whole pack.
Looking for Audio Surf, Super Meat Boy, Bit Trip Beat. I do have Portal 1 and Dog Fighter for trade.

StuBurns

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Forcing people to do something dumb causes them to whine about either having to do it or how dumb it is.
I'm kind of surprised this hasn't just completely backfired. I honestly expected everyone to say fuck it by this point. The effort is totally disproportionate to the reward I think.

Zomba13

Twig said:
When you say "two songs" are you talking about the two potato songs? 'Cause they were completely different for me.
Nah, 2 non potato songs. The potato songs were really good fun.

GDJustin said:
Way too many haters.

First off I didn't know there were so many people that didn't like AaAaAA!!. I don't care for the game's humor but the gameplay is rock solid. I've had a ton of fun with it. And Super Meat Boy, Bit Trip Beat, and Amnesia's pedigrees are all well established.

I played Defense Grid for about 90 minutes last night and loved it, too.

Toki Tori is the only other game in the pack I've played, but I also found it to be quite pleasant.

TL;DR: There's a good sale on an indie game pack and Portal two is going to be unlocked a day or two early. So where in the heck does the hate come from? Most ARGs don't even have a proper ending, and there is no precedent for Steam voluntarily unlocking pre-loaded games early.

The funniest thing about the hate is if Portal 2 just launched Tuesday as normal, everyone would be happy. But give gamers the opportunity for early access, and suddenly they become entitled whiners.
Have you been following the ARG at all? This didn't randomly come up, if it did then there would be a lot less complaining.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Lostconfused said:
Forcing people to do something dumb causes them to whine about either having to do it or how dumb it is.

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! There is no forcing. You're officially part of the problem, if this is truly your attitude.

Valve has never released a pre-loaded game early. There is no precedent, here. Without this event, millions of gamers would have played Portal 2 on Tuesday and loved it.

Now, Millions of gamers are getting to play Portal 2 on Monday, and hate Valve for it.

See the problem, here?

Twig

Banned
GDJustin said:
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! There is no forcing. You're officially part of the problem, if this is truly your attitude.

Valve has never released a pre-loaded game early. There is no precedent, here. Without this event, millions of gamers would have played Portal 2 on Tuesday and loved it.

Now, Millions of gamers are getting to play Portal 2 on Monday, and hate Valve for it.

See the problem, here?
I agree completely with you, but I still think it's fine to be disappointed by this buttfart of an ending to the ARG. It is rather dumb. Which is why I stopped participating.

HINT FOR LOSTCONFUSED: Because I'm not forced to participate! *gasp*

Jenga

Banned
Stitch said:
and pirates completed it a few days ago
piracy is killing console gaming

Twig said:
I agree completely with you, but I still think it's fine to be disappointed by this buttfart of an ending to the ARG. It is rather dumb. Which is why I stopped participating.

HINT FOR LOSTCONFUSED: Because I'm not forced to participate! *gasp*
for someone not participating you seem really indignant and eager to defend your non-involvement

GDJustin said:

See the problem, here?
Nope. Clearly you are not seeing my point. This isn't about Portal 2, this is about watching bars fill up and how stupid that is.

Rapstah

I'm happily settled at 22 something potatoes because I hate Cogs, can't get into Toki Tori (great animation though), Killing Floor won't run on my computer, BIT.TRIP just takes too long to get to the point where you fail or do it (the song is like fourteen fucking minutes long!) and Amnesia scares the living fuck out of me before I get to anywhere scary.

Twig

Banned
Stitch said:
How is that Valve's fault?

Lostconfused said:
Nope. Clearly you are not seeing my point. This isn't about Portal 2, this is about watching bars fill up and how stupid that is.
But you're whining about being FORCED to do something you're not even doing. So either grow up, or shut up.

Jenga said:
for someone not participating you seem really indignant and eager to defend your non-involvement
I am unsure how to respond because I don't know what "defend your non-involvement" actually means. I'm defending nothing about myself. Perhaps you should reread my posts!

Mairu

Stitch said:
How is this any different from any other game that leaked early?

No one's forcing anyone to participate in this, you're perfectly welcome to ignore it and play Portal 2 on Tuesday as was to be expected a week ago.

Jex

GDJustin said:

See the problem, here?
Yes, that's exactly why people are disappointed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Twig said:
How is that Valve's fault?

But you're whining about being FORCED to do something you're not even doing. So either grow up, or shut up.
Everything is Valve's fault, they have ruined my life and killed my family for not giving me my game early.

StuBurns

Banned
GDJustin said:

See the problem, here?
I don't think millions of gamers have any idea this is happening, let alone hate Valve for it. But even if they did, they brought it on themselves.

f0rk said:
I'm guessing there's no leak for the PC version? That's hilarious.
Now days devs can make sure their PC games aren't pirated until launch date as a worst case scenario, console games can be pirated as soon as one person gets their hands on a copy.

So I did the Defense Grid CHAS requirements. Got the Few and Proud Achievement, but when I log in and do everything else, it tells me I don't have proper clearance. Any ideas?
I did use the save file on the Wiki though. Problem?

Jenga

Banned
Twig said:
I am unsure how to respond because I don't know what "defend your non-involvement" actually means. I'm defending nothing about myself. Perhaps you should reread my posts!
i tried but your posts are too boring

Twig said:
Complaining about something is an entertaining way to pass the time. Even more so when there is a good reason to whine in the first place. Also no one is really forced to do anything at all ever so if we really want to argue about that its going to go down the philosophical self determinism route.

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
And yet in all piracy discussions everyone acts like PC is the only place where there is an issue.
It is the place where it's the biggest issue though isn't it? Portal 2 will be pirated on PC and Mac, even if it hasn't been yet.

Red

GDJustin said:
You're missing the point. It would be great if we were doing something engaging leading up to a Tuesday release. But the ARG was fantastic until we hit what is essentially a brick wall.

Jenga

Banned
StuBurns said:
It is the place where it's the biggest issue though isn't it?.
is it?

steam has eliminated zero day piracy

now console versions get leaked weeks in advance

console gaming is dead

KScorp

Phantom Limbs said:
So I did the Defense Grid CHAS requirements. Got the Few and Proud Achievement, but when I log in and do everything else, it tells me I don't have proper clearance. Any ideas?
I did use the save file on the Wiki though. Problem?

Yeah, save files don't work. I tried it.

Level isn't too hard though. Took a few retries, but if you just spam guns and cannons, two meteors, and a handful of inferno and temporal towers, it's not that bad. Took about 15 minutes after I finally got the combinations right.

Also, you need silver or gold, which I believe means you can't let a single core escape.

How are you people getting through the water part in Amnesia? Do you just complete it as fast as possible or do you hide in a corner or something before continuing?

(._.)

Banned
ElNarez said:
Why are you so stupid? You don't like it. You've made your point. You keep making it. At this point it has become white noise. Go post in some other thread. Go back to your book. Do something, anything that's better than just whining on a message board. Please.
look at this clown

Red

Jenga said:
is it?

steam has eliminated zero day piracy

now console versions get leaked weeks in advance

console gaming is dead
Still easier to engage in PC piracy compared to console piracy as far as I know. Doesn't most console piracy require a mod? Not saying one is worse than the other, just that there's more to it than which one leaks first.

Top Bottom