• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Dina

Jenga said:
is it?

steam has eliminated zero day piracy

now console versions get leaked weeks in advance

console gaming is dead

I know you're trolling, but console piracy can get you banned at times, and you need either a chip or another hack to be even able to play it. PC Piracy is relatively safe and maybe not zero day, but most certainly second or third day.

Jenga

Banned
i don't think you realize how fucked consoles are

the ds and 3ds will have flashcarts

the psp got hacked like a bitch

the ps3 just got hacked

and the wii and 360 have been hacked for quite a while now

console gaming is dead due to piracy

meanwhile pc gaming has finally kicked off the leeches who played PC games years in advance

RIP consoles long live PC gaming

Dina said:
but console piracy can get you banned at times, and you need either a chip or another hack to be even able to play it.
and yet, it is still very prevalent

I've seen console torrents reach into levels that rival PC torrents

a couple of years ago this was almost impossible

StuBurns

Banned
Jenga said:
is it?

steam has eliminated zero day piracy

now console versions get leaked weeks in advance

console gaming is dead
The date it leaks isn't really important though is it? The amount it's pirated is the thing surely?

I don't know, but I assume PC piracy is way higher.

I just check on what I believe is the biggest torrent site, although the PS3 and 360 versions are on there, it's really not a whole lot of people seeding right now, a lot more 360 than PS3 people, but still not much really.

Side note, Portal 2 is really quite a small game in file size.

as_potato2.png

Golden POTATOOOO.

And statue butt too.

I pretty much Youtubed the whole way through. I know it robbed me of the experience somewhat, but I still appreciated it, and I was happy to not have to run through two or three times because I missed a weirdly-placed note or wax cylinder. Nor did I spend who knows how long figuring out
you have to stack the boxes in a weird way to bypass one guy to save him

I'm still shocked I made it. Some of the challenges could be bluffed around, or stepped through with a FAQ, but others required some series practice and play. Speaking of which:

speculawyer said:
I tried to do the new Aaaaaaa level . . . holy crap. way too hard.
The way I did it was this: Do the Thread the Needle by dropping down on the right (and hang close to the building inside corner), it gives you a buffer for mistakes. Keep your mouse centered, looking straight down and parallel to the beams, and maneuver by tapping the arrow keys.

There's one bit that gave me a lot of trouble, where you have to dip right, then left, then up-middle quickly, right after you have that brief "white-out" effect. If you haven't already, go unlock the Caffeine, and when you hit the white-out, press Shift. It gives you just enough extra time to make the swing from left to up-middle, without staying on too long and throwing off your timing too much afterward. Otherwise, try to hit every panel, and make absolutely sure you hit the purple one, and the Slow plates so you can land, since you won't have a parachute.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Jexhius said:
Yes, that's exactly why people are disappointed.

It sure seems to be. How many people said "fuck this, I'm out" when filling a game's bar knocked off an amount of time they didn't find satisfactory.

I say again: Somehow this event has made people pissed about playing Portal 2 on Monday instead of happy about playing it on Tuesday.

Seems completely crazy, to me.

Maybe it's just because I'm enjoying the Potato pack, a great deal. Wonderful End of the World is the only dud so far, out of the ones I have checked out. Defense Grid has been a very pleasant surprise and I'm kind of hooked on it.

Red

Is there any way to disable the head bobbing in Amnesia?
GDJustin said:
It sure seems to be. How many people said "fuck this, I'm out" when filling a game's bar knocked off an amount of time they didn't find satisfactory.

I say again: Somehow this event has made people pissed about playing Portal 2 on Monday instead of happy about playing it on Tuesday.

Seems completely crazy, to me.

Maybe it's just because I'm enjoying the Potato pack, a great deal. Wonderful End of the World is the only dud so far, out of the ones I have checked out. Defense Grid has been a very pleasant surprise and I'm kind of hooked on it.
People have invested a good deal of time into this ARG, and it's disappointing to see 50 minutes of progress after hours and hours of idling a game -- and that's after all the actual puzzles and potato hunting. It's not that we're pissed about not getting the game immediately, it's that we're frustrated this whole thing has lead to such a minimal change.

We're doing nothing but wasting time and energy at this point. I'm running Aaaaaa right now, and I'm still glad that we're getting Portal 2 a bit early, but really it's hardly worth running up my electric bill for. I've had most of these games from far before the potato pack was released, so it's not like they're anything new to me.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Do we have a new javascript code since the old ones don't seem to work after 123 Finished...

Jenga

Banned
StuBurns said:
Why? If it gets pirated way more on PC than PS3 and 360, but it happens a week earlier, I don't see how it hurts Valve any where near as much.
Did I mention Portal 2 specifically? In general console gaming is getting burned more than ever before.

Why do you think Sony is tripping over themselves to mess with Geohot? They're fucking scared. Scared of console gaming's future.

repent ye sinner

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
Why? If it gets pirated way more on PC than PS3 and 360, but it happens a week earlier, I don't see how it hurts Valve any where near as much.
The date matters when legitimate customers have to watch while pirates play beat and spoil the game all over the Internet.

StuBurns

Banned
Jenga said:
Did I mention Portal 2 specifically? In general console gaming is getting burned more than ever before.

Why do you think Sony is tripping over themselves to mess with Geohot? They're fucking scared. Scared of console gaming's future.

repent ye sinner
Oh, so you are trolling, cool, wasn't sure.

Stallion Free said:
The date matters when legitimate customers have to watch while pirates play beat and spoil the game all over the Internet.
Very true, it matters to the consumers. It really annoys me I have to wait till probably Friday to play it at this point. I didn't realize it was pirated initially, I thought maybe someone had got the endings as prerecorded files out of the Steam data packet or something.

GDJustin said:

Are you just ignoring all the posts that clearly state that they are unsatisfied with the fact that its a dull ending to an interesting ARG and the effort is not worth the reward?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Crunched said:
People have invested a good deal of time into this ARG, and it's disappointing to see 50 minutes of progress after hours and hours of idling a game -- and that's after all the actual puzzles and potato hunting. It's not that we're pissed about not getting the game immediately, it's that we're frustrated this whole thing has lead to such a minimal change.

You just keep reinforcing my point. What if the ARG had absolutely nothing to do with Portal 2's release date (which is what people thought, for the first 75% of it)? Then you wouldn't have anything to be frustrated about.

No one is asking anyone to idle. Play some cool indie games. Do your small part to get Portal 2 a bit early. That's it.

When the ARG started everyone seemed to be pretty clear that ARGs were about the journey, and never concluded in particular satisfying ways. In fact most ARGs just kind of... stop. At least this one HAS a conclusion, with a tangible climax and an actual reward. And lots of new levels and content given for free in a batch of cool games.

Valve is giving people something awesome (an early launch), and people are complaining that Valve isn't giving them enough.

L00P

So I guess there's a good chance this game will release on Monday now?!

123KickIt's bar was like less than half the last time I saw it. And now it's full!

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
All his points seem valid though.
Don't be absurd. The PS3 piracy doesn't even compare with the last two PlayStations and they creamed the competition, Sony don't give a fuck about the tiny amount of hacked PS3s. They took GeoHot to court because he was a 'celebrity hacker'. Sony doesn't know who hacked the other consoles, GeoHot's arrogance is the only reason he was taken to court.

Console gaming is not even vaguely in danger.

Zomba13

L00P said:
So I guess there's a good chance this game will release on Monday now?!

123KickIt's bar was like less than half the last time I saw it. And now it's full!
Monday or very late Sunday is my current guesstimate.

Jenga

Banned
Stallion Free said:
All his points seem valid though.
Don't be absurd. The PS3 piracy doesn't even compare with the last two PlayStations and they creamed the competition, Sony don't give a fuck about the tiny amount of hacked PS3s.

when you pirate PC games = you're killing pc gaming

when you pirate console games = console gaming is A-OK

they don't see the line in the sand

they don't see the future

all platforms have been compromised

console piracy groups have been built by the surge in popularity by console piracy in a way never-before-seen

THE CONSOLE END IS NIGH

KScorp said:
Yeah, save files don't work. I tried it.

Level isn't too hard though. Took a few retries, but if you just spam guns and cannons, two meteors, and a handful of inferno and temporal towers, it's not that bad. Took about 15 minutes after I finally got the combinations right.

Also, you need silver or gold, which I believe means you can't let a single core escape.

Ok I reloaded the save file and I got it. You were right. I can't let any cores escape. That was the problem I had the first time.
The README with the save file just says to place the final gun, it doesn't tell you you have to upgrade it as far as it can go. But I got it. So I can confirm the save file DOES work. Just don't let any cores escape.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
Don't be absurd. The PS3 piracy doesn't even compare with the last two PlayStations and they creamed the competition, Sony don't give a fuck about the tiny amount of hacked PS3s. They took GeoHot to court because he was a 'celebrity hacker'. Sony doesn't know who hacked the other consoles, GeoHot's arrogance is the only reason he was taken to court.

Console gaming is not even vaguely in danger.
Neither is PC, but I am sure as hell pissed that I have to sit around waiting for PC games while seeing every single console game get leaked a week early consistently.

Hayvic

Lostconfused said:
What with the eufloria avatar?

I don't even know who anyone is anymore with all the avatar changes.

Lostconfused

I feel as though the CHAS campaign will ruin Defense Grid for me. I've had a lot of fun in the 4 hours I've put in, but god I suck at this level. I just can't figure out which way the swarm will go when blocked.

Red

GDJustin said:
You just keep reinforcing my point. What if the ARG had absolutely nothing to do with Portal 2's release date (which is what people thought, for the first 75% of it)? Then you wouldn't have anything to be frustrated about.

No one is asking anyone to idle. Play some cool indie games. Do your small part to get Portal 2 a bit early. That's it.

When the ARG started everyone seemed to be pretty clear that ARGs were about the journey, and never concluded in particular satisfying ways. In fact most ARGs just kind of... stop. At least this one HAS a conclusion, with a tangible climax and an actual reward. And lots of new levels and content given for free in a batch of cool games.

Valve is giving people something awesome (an early launch), and they're complaining that Valve isn't giving them enough.
You're right that this has a conclusion, but it's a terribly boring one. It's just awful filler between the end of the ARG and Portal 2's release. I don't care if the game doesn't come out until Tuesday. It's just annoying following and playing along with this whole thing, getting that counter on Friday night and then finding out we essentially have to grind hours until the end of it all. The ARG was great from the start until the unveiling of the current GLaDOS release page, and it would've been nice to treat the players with more respect than saying outright "play these games for the next three days to achieve anything of significance!"

There's a reward, sure, but it's so small that it doesn't change much. What's the difference between a Monday or Tuesday release? It would have been fine as a lead up to the set date, but now it's like someone telling you they're going to bake you a super awesome cake and they end up giving you a cookie.

Jzero

speculawyer said:
Hmm . . . Jzero15, you didn't 'reply to this message' (in the way I intended) although you replied first.

Alright, How about 1 gets audiosurf and 1 gets Rush, AaaaaAa, or Toki Tori
i don't really mind which one i get :) i already have toki tori on wii though

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Neither is PC, but I am sure as hell pissed that I have to sit around waiting for PC games while seeing every single console game get leaked a week early consistently.
Of course it's not. PC gaming is doing better than ever practically.

It's hardly true that console games always leak first, Crysis 2 was on PC like a month before launch.

StuBurns said:
Of course it's not. PC gaming is doing better than ever practically.

It's hardly true that console games always leak first, Crysis 2 was on PC like a month before launch.
That's only because a developer build got leaked. It actually took a few days AFTER retail for the PC version to be pirated, whereas console versions got pirated sometime before release.

StuBurns said:
That's not really comparable. A dev build leaked one month before the game was out. Its more similar to some one one stealing the source code of half life 2 than just piracy.

Anyone see this? Remove if old:

New email from Doug Rattman:

---LOG FROM [ REDACTED ], BY J.H. TO C.J.---

1. We designed the entire thing to be very, very durable. It was easy to get the materials since everyone's been thinking
it's a simple icebreaker ship. Ha.

2. We have made sure to strip it of anything not necessary, so that we have plenty of space for it. It doesn't have any
backup supplies in the event the crew runs out of food, though. And there isn't much food onboard in the first place.

3. In the event you need to send it off all of a sudden, use the OR box with code 'hb1'.

That's all, C.J. Not much else I can tell you other than this won't leave a blight on our record. Mesa is going to be sore
when they see what we've done.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21833943&postcount=13003

The Judge

speculawyer said:
Hmm . . . Jzero15, you didn't 'reply to this message' (in the way I intended) although you replied first.

Alright, How about 1 gets audiosurf and 1 gets Rush, AaaaaAa, or Toki Tori

Alright, I would go with Toki Tori then since Jzero already has it and he did post first anyways so I suppose Audiosurf for him!

StuBurns

Banned
Jenga said:
how many other pc games can you say the same?

crysis 2 is an exception

even you can see this
I'm just saying it's not true the console versions always leaks first. Crysis 2 is probably the highest profile PC game so far this year, so it's the one that comes to mind.

I just checked game rankings looking for other high profile games this year, Dead Space 2, according to a popular torrent site also leak on PC before launch.

Anyway, this is pretty off topic I think. If someone wants to make a piracy thread, I'll talk about it there, other wise I think we should move on.

On Monday, I work, then have school at night. If it releases "early" on Monday, it's as if it didn't release early at all. Thus, none of my 5 "potato sack" games are running this weekend. I've sighed and accepted the Tuesday official release date. If we had a chance of unlocking tonight, I'd be helping. It seems as if Valve has overestimated our impatience.

Jenga

Banned
StuBurns said:
Dead Space 2, according to a popular torrent site also leak on PC before launch.
that didn't get cracked until after actual release

sorry bro

copies of the game hit the net without cracks fyi

blamite

Monday is the worst possible day this could come out for me.
Late Sunday of Tuesday would both be fine, but I have work to do! It feels like such a waste to let this weekend go Portal-less. :/

Top Bottom