• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

RangerBAD

@KenOD

I'm not that obtuse. I can accept other special effects heavy shows. I'll just say I'm more interested in the Japanese tokusatsu side of things, then. Seems like it's what we're mostly talking about anyhow.

WillyFive

ib0OYGQAkMIYPc.gif

This show is fantastic, and not just because of that scene.

Speaking of shows that might not be toku (I also go with the definition of any tv show that uses effects liberally counts), any of y'all seen the 2011 adaption of Journey to the West?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lDJBuAeh6I

Probably not as great as the old 80's one, but I recall the budget for this show was like $100 million.

I want to watch... but 66 hr long eps lol. phew.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Up to 15 in Kamen Rider Kiva...I've only watched the Neo-Hensei Era Kamen Riders, but are all the older Kamen Rider series this...washed out looking, or is it a purposeful choice done in Kiva? Even though it's from 2008, the way it's filmed and the music gives it a really old-school feel like it was from the Showa Era. I guess maybe that's to go along with the "horror" feel. Speaking of which, I LOVE the music they're going with...the main Henshin Theme for Kiva rocks, and I love the violin music they use during dramatic scenes.

Plot-wise, it's picking up...the 2008 storyline though is a bit inferior at the moment. Wataru isn't really interesting at all. It's started to move forward a bit with Kengo and the Rock Band subplot, but Nago is really carrying this part of the story for me. I'm glad they've begun to move away from the thing they had going on in the first few episodes where the Fangire from 1986 was also the villain of the 2008 storyline, and now it seems each storyline is moving a bit more organically without being TOO linked up.

The 1986 storyline is the highlight, for me. Otoya is a far more interesting lead, and I enjoy the Hollywood Monster trio with Jiro. But who knows, maybe as it goes on 2008 will end up becoming the better part?

fmpanda

Up to 15 in Kamen Rider Kiva...I've only watched the Neo-Hensei Era Kamen Riders, but are all the older Kamen Rider series this...washed out looking, or is it a purposeful choice done in Kiva? Even though it's from 2008, the way it's filmed and the music gives it a really old-school feel like it was from the Showa Era. I guess maybe that's to go along with the "horror" feel. Speaking of which, I LOVE the music they're going with...the main Henshin Theme for Kiva rocks, and I love the violin music they use during dramatic scenes.

Plot-wise, it's picking up...the 2008 storyline though is a bit inferior at the moment. Wataru isn't really interesting at all. It's started to move forward a bit with Kengo and the Rock Band subplot, but Nago is really carrying this part of the story for me. I'm glad they've begun to move away from the thing they had going on in the first few episodes where the Fangire from 1986 was also the villain of the 2008 storyline, and now it seems each storyline is moving a bit more organically without being TOO linked up.

The 1986 storyline is the highlight, for me. Otoya is a far more interesting lead, and I enjoy the Hollywood Monster trio with Jiro. But who knows, maybe as it goes on 2008 will end up becoming the better part?

NA-GO-SAN! That is all.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Oh yeah.

There are scans out there for Wizard's and Beast's super duper forms.

Wizard's looks really good, Beast's not so much.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wizard was so much more interesting in Fourze. Flamboyant and cocky, why did they water that down for the series?

Wizard pissed me off when he showed off his bling and cock-blocked Daimon during the Fourze Series Creidts. :/

Ultimate form of Wizard looks like Knight Survive's bastard son.

It's like if Knight got his hands on Soul Calibur.

I can't even tell what's going on with Beast; I guess he's a matador now?

I'm glad I got caught up on Wizard so I can appreciate how hard it is for Haruto to be handed this new form!

Speaking of which, I LOVE the music they're going with...the main Henshin Theme for Kiva rocks, and I love the violin music they use during dramatic scenes.

I love that track too! I love Kiva's entire soundtrack; the songs are great, and the show uses them to great effect, even for a show where music is one of its themes.

vareon

It's like if Knight got his hands on Soul Calibur.

I can't even tell what's going on with Beast; I guess he's a matador now?

I'm glad I got caught up on Wizard so I can appreciate how hard it is for Haruto to be handed this new form!

I love that track too! I love Kiva's entire soundtrack; the songs are great, and the show uses them to great effect, even for a show where music is one of its themes.

Kiva's soundtrack is easily the best part of the show. The Darkness Moon Break theme and the individual themes for the forms are fantastic.

shaowebb

On the last 2 episodes of Kamen Rider Kabuto. I was really moved with how they settled the Sasword story issues. Absolutely beautiful. Loving all of this. Kickhopper and Punchhopper are a bit...weird. The whole living in darkness thing started off cool and then they just turned into homeless emos. Punchhopper is completely pathetic and terrified of being abandoned again and Kickhopper just seems to want to believe there is no joy in the world to make himself believe he was a victim for screwing up at the beginning of the series in Shadow. Kickhopper is still pretty badass, but they went from being what I thought was gonna be a pair of hoodlums out to destroy everyone else's hope to just a pair of emos.

Still...Kickhopper had a badass intro with the spur thing and all those kicks. I still smile everytime he walks in on someone and starts a fight by telling them they "you...you were laughing at me. Weren't you. I think I'd like to laugh a little too."

Badass.

Anyhow Kabuto is nearly over for me and I'll be taking a break for a bit before likely attempting a sentai.

ReiGun

Man, I gotta find something to watch. I feel like I feel totally out of Toku because I wasn't feeling Wizard or Gobuster.

Maybe I'll go watch Blade finally. Or finish Amazon.

Slayven

Kiva's soundtrack is easily the best part of the show. The Darkness Moon Break theme and the individual themes for the forms are fantastic.
Kiva's soundtrack was ridcolus awesome. Not a dude on it, "With you" and "Supernova" are my favorite
Man, I gotta find something to watch. I feel like I feel totally out of Toku because I wasn't feeling Wizard or Gobuster.

Maybe I'll go watch Blade finally. Or finish Amazon.

Kryouranger starts this week.

hmmm been really enjoying the 2011 Journey to the West. It's way more like the book in terms of philosophy and the general dickery of the heaven folks. The overusage of green screen gets a bit naggy but it's generally quite pretty.

Also, it gives a great table flip.

iIjANCyGCg2z7.gif

Go-Busters finale was dope. Shed my usual goodbye Sentai tears. Just a great Sentai all around. Kyoryuger has a lot to live up to.

And Megaforce can go die in a fire.

ibfqgce7QBvZno.gif

Panda, kick ass job my dude!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Megaforce is still playing up the blue: odd man out angle. But the crew is so much fucking better than samurai other than serial killer red.

OK I just heard Jake use the cobra line... So much better than samurai

Top Bottom