• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Cool, I was thinking of going next week. While I didn't contribute I was still pumped on the idea of playing SSBM on a restaurant. :(
Hopefully they get the whole gaming in bars thing sorted out because some SSBM would have been PERFECT tonight.

EXP is great though, I had a wonderful time there tonight. The atmosphere is really fun and inviting and the decor is classy with that dash of geek to make you feel at home. You don't have to worry about any awful club music here, that's for sure. The TVs around the place were playing various video game cutscenes and trailers, good background stuff. They will also put E-sports on the tube when there are events going on. The food and drinks were delicious and creative. Each menu item is named or inspired by something from gaming culture and has it's own unique twist to go with it. I had some "Pure Batarian Ale" tonight and it was a mighty tasty shot. The staff are lovely, and the service was solid. 2 of their very fine servers took a moment to perform Gangnam Style for the place which was a riot. I'm about as sick of the song as you are, but even I couldn't stop myself from enjoying the festivities. If you were worried that this was going to be a seedy place for the basement dweller, fret not, it is the complete opposite. As a restaurant and bar it's great, and if/when they get the gaming in there I can see this place really taking off.

Firestorm

Agreed with Barrow Roll. Went there yesterday and it's a pretty nice place. Wasn't a big fan of the terrible Devil May Cry cutscenes but yeah. Saw they had shots named after the Red/Blue starters and had to get me a Charmander shot. Hopefully they're set up fully soon so I can get my gift card from the indiegogo along with rewards card. Government needs to stop its bullshit though.

I think a lot of my friends coming in for the Pokemon World Championships next year in Vancouver are gonna want to pay it a visit :p

Terrell

Moving to New West in a couple weeks. Lived in Burnaby and Vancouver the last 8 years. Not exactly looking forward to it, but we're pretty close to 6th and 6th, which seems like a decent area.
New West is fine. I actually love it here. People are just mad because we don't keep the Surrey folk from migrating into the rest of the lower mainland.

They're back? I heard the city shipped them all off to Victoria for the Winter Olympics.
Canada is well known for its Vagrant Exchange Program.

Also, for food, may I recommend Romers Burger Bar and the Twisted Fork Bistro? Both are AMAZING.

Firestorm

Moving to New West in a couple weeks. Lived in Burnaby and Vancouver the last 8 years. Not exactly looking forward to it, but we're pretty close to 6th and 6th, which seems like a decent area.
My friend lives on 6th and 6th I think o.o New apartment building.

Archer

Oooo, meetup?

I'm in Burnaby this year, and I like it waaaay better than North Van.

Also, hiked Garibaldi a week ago. Normally I fucking hate hiking but this was worth it:

There's a better trail about 20 min away. Go to Whistler, take the gondola up and do the Half Note trail. Epic epic epic epic epic...

Went there the other day. It was terrible. Won't miss them.

Oh ya? They used to be a great spot. So many good memories of there from a few years ago.

Went to Society with the better half this weekend. Great drinks, food was overpriced but decent.

Ever hit George? F the ropes man, totally unnecessary. Good spot tho.

Ellasman

Bunch of great resteraunts.

(sorry if they've been mentioned already)

Peaceful Resteraunt - Chinese (Broadway)
Kyo - Korean BBQ (Granville)
No. 9 - Chinese (Richmond)
Modern Club - Japanese (Dunbar)
Modern City - Chinese (41st)
Memphis Blue's - BBQ (Broadway)
JETHRO'S - Breakfast Diner (Dunbar)
Madra's Dosa Hut - Dosa/Indian (99% sure it's on Fraser by John Oliver School)
Handi Indian Cuisine - Indian (Dunbar)
La Notte - Italian (Dunbar) pasta is half off on Tuesday
Baan Wasana - Thai (41st)
White Spot - everything (all over the place) people say it's garbage but I like their burgers
Vera's Burger Shack - Burgers (various locations)
Moderne Burger - Burgers (Broadway) I recommend this place if you want a burger
Nat's New York Pizzaria - Pizza (One on Broadway, one on Denman) my family has known Nat for a long time. Best pizza in town
Mac Shack - Mac and Cheese (Boulevard) pricey but interesting.
Kobe - japanese (don't remember where it is)
Gotham Steak House - Steak House (Seymour) pricey
Italian Tomatoe - Pasta (Richmond) huge portions
Siegels Bagels - Bagels (various locations) place to go at 3am

Big-E

Oooo, meetup?

I'm in Burnaby this year, and I like it waaaay better than North Van.

Also, hiked Garibaldi a week ago. Normally I fucking hate hiking but this was worth it:

Garibaldi is my favourite hike. Love the pay off even if there are so many switchbacks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm sometimes working within walking distance of 6th and 6th.

My friend lives on 6th and 6th I think o.o New apartment building.

New West is fine. I actually love it here. People are just mad because we don't keep the Surrey folk from migrating into the rest of the lower mainland.

Whoa... New West connections all up in GAF. I live near 6th and 6th. There is a BocoDragon who walks amongst you!

New West really grew on me as well. It's a nice burb, pretty cheap to live, getting better all the time (dat New West station rennovation!) and thanks to the SkyTrain you still have all that Van has to offer.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
New Westminster is wonderful. A great mix of heritage and new builds. I lived there 10 years ago when my first son was born, a lot of young families in that area. Gentrifying nicely nowadays, too.

I might hit EXP this Friday, as a bunch of my students are celebrating the end of the quarter there. Did that whole "no consoles" thing ever get sorted out ?

BocoDragon

New Westminster is wonderful. A great mix of heritage and new builds. I lived there 10 years ago when my first son was born, a lot of young families in that area. Gentrifying nicely nowadays, too.

Yeah, I really like the old buildings... and in the last 3 years alone I've seen it improve considerably. Lots of construction and urban renewal going on.

Also the place has TWO used game stores. That's kind of special!

I might hit EXP this Friday, as a bunch of my students are celebrating the end of the quarter there. Did that whole "no consoles" thing ever get sorted out ?

As far as I've heard: no. But I was chatting with someone today who said there might be hope. I mean, those are some REALLY outdated laws.

We were laughing about how there might be an emulator on the POS terminals, and some game apps on the bartender's phone... would that violate the rule? :p

Firestorm

Yeah, they haven't had that sorted out yet unfortunately. I'd be down for a GAF meetup at EXP Bar sometime soon although obviously not tonight :p

Fou-Lu

I'd never heard of EXP before, I'd love to visit when I move down to Van for school, I'm not a big drinker, but their food looks great.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Oh god being so close to Metrotown is a blessing and a curse.. I feel compelled to go there every few days for Superstore and buy all kinds of stupid shit.

How long was the hike? Which trail did you do?

Um, that was the Garibaldi Lake trail, so it was about 18k up and down, and we were up there for about 7 hours (2 were spent just enjoying the view/lunch). I've heard it's 3 to go up and 2 down, sounds about right. It was awesome in any case.

There's a better trail about 20 min away. Go to Whistler, take the gondola up and do the Half Note trail. Epic epic epic epic epic...

Jesus, the pictures look rugged. Definitely interested though. This was my first time out of the Vancouver area, so I was easily wowed by just the sea to sky highway lol.

Garibaldi is my favourite hike. Love the pay off even if there are so many switchbacks.

It gets daunting at points but that view of Black Tusk on the meadows trail kicks ass.

Tabris

I always thought New Westminster was barely a step above Walley and Maple Ridge in terms of sketchyness? (No offence intended for anyone that lives in any of those 3 areas)

Terrell

It is and it isn't. Progress is fast in some areas and REALLY slow in others. If you're traveling in from Kingsway, 12th Street is a good example. One side of the block is nice re-done buildings, the other half is a dilapidated mess. It's getting better all the time, though. Considering it's the oldest city in the lower mainland, I was expecting taller trees, though. it needs more foliage beyond the parks.

The main draw is the cheapest housing in the lower mainland without being one of the bridge-and-tunnel folk, but it's been cheap because there's not as much in the way of amenities like the other townships nearby.

I always thought New Westminster was barely a step above Walley and Maple Ridge in terms of sketchyness? (No offence intended for anyone that lives in any of those 3 areas)

You would be incorrect. You know it's a good neighborhood when the gays are moving into it. Not just any gays, either, but the respectable upper-middle class gays with stable relationships. That's how I ended up in New West, was asked to come live with the Chinese couple I was rooming with in Burnaby when they bought their house here.

The problem has always been that it looked worse than it was.

BocoDragon

Apparantly it was... 20 years ago when they built the SkyTrain there and it brought crime to the area. The person who told me that says it is not, now.

I've lived here 3 years and I often make 3AM Timmies runs on foot.... ;) this place is as safe as anywhere!

BocoDragon

It is and it isn't. Progress is fast in some areas and REALLY slow in others. If you're traveling in from Kingsway, 12th Street is a good example. One side of the block is nice re-done buildings, the other half is a dilapidated mess. It's getting better all the time, though. Considering it's the oldest city in the lower mainland, I was expecting taller trees, though. it needs more foliage beyond the parks.

The main draw is the cheapest housing in the lower mainland without being one of the bridge-and-tunnel folk, but it's been cheap because there's not as much in the way of amenities like the other townships nearby.

I think I live on the dilapidated side... Ha! Yeah, some old, weird buildings in that area. But it's not a bad community, and it's a quiet crime free area in general. Just crap for architecture. :p

Cheerilee

I think 30 years ago, Whalley was worse than the Downtown Eastside (I mean the Downtown Eastside of 30 years ago, not the one of today).

Surrey was the heart of sketchiness in Vancouver for a long time, and Whalley was the sketchy heart of Surrey. But they've been trying REALLY hard to clean it up, and it shows.

The Downtown Eastside, on the other hand, got flushed down the toilet in the same timeframe.

New Westminster was never a Surrey. Let alone a Whalley.

I've actually got no experience with Maple Ridge.

Bruiserk

Maple Ridge is considered sketchy?

I've only ever been to the nice residential part of town though since my sister lives there.

Tabris

Well at least with New Westminster, you're not on the other side of the bridge and you can still look down on those bridge and tunnel crowd :) j/k

...but I would say 10 years ago, New West was for sure sketchy, especially around the skytrain ("downtown" New West). It had a worse rep than the Joyce skytrain station for the overall Burnaby area. I thought the revitalization effort had failed, and based on how cheap apartments are, I still suspect it has or never met full fruition.

EDIT - I read your post further Terrell. Makes sense.

BocoDragon

Well at least with New Westminster, you're not on the other side of the bridge and you can still look down on those bridge and tunnel crowd :) j/k

...but I would say 10 years ago, New West was for sure sketchy, especially around the skytrain ("downtown" New West). It had a worse rep than the Joyce skytrain station for the overall Burnaby area. I thought the revitalization effort had failed, and based on how cheap apartments are, I still suspect it has or never met full fruition.

EDIT - I read your post further Terrell. Makes sense.
The SkyTrain station here is basically overrun with Douglas College students now... And that's a college with a rising reputation. Like I said... This place is tame :)

Edit: Joyce had a bad reputation??? These places are all super domestic normal places now IMO.

Tabris

Joyce/Metrotown, New Westminister/Columbia, Surrey Central/Gateway were/are considered the problem areas. Dealers work those areas for Burnaby, New West and Surrey.

BocoDragon

To be fair... compared to the gaming setup pics of Tabris' apartment, the whole city is pretty ghetto by comparison :p

Firestorm

To be fair... compared to the gaming setup pics of Tabris' apartment, the whole city is pretty ghetto by comparison :p
True. His posts sound like he's never left his apartment though :p

People from Ontario think they are the best drivers in the world.
I remember getting in the car with my friend after she moved to Toronto and getting the warning "By the way, moving here had made me a really aggressive driver".

Leeness

That sounds awesome and totally fuckin ridiculous. Please let us know how it is!

Absolutely! I'm so stoked.

Yep going as a group of 12 sometime November probably as well :) So psyched.

Haha if it's first weekend or so, maybe we'll be zombie hunting one after another. :p

it only lasts an hour. :(

Don't curr! Haha. :)

Lone, so says the site, they use lower pressure guns? So maybe it doesn't hurt as much. They also say on the site that ~these zombies~ aren't killed with headshots, haha. In fact, they don't die, so don't even bother shooting them in the head! Body shots stun them the longest! :)

Tabris

True. His posts sound like he's never left his apartment though :p

Close. I rarely ever leave downtown Vancouver / West End / Stanley Park / Gastown / Kits / Commercial area in general when in Greater Vancouver. There's nothing for me outside of this area in Greater Vancouver. Metrotown? I'm not a 13 year old girl. Surrey? I'm not a drug dealer. Maple Ridge? I'm not a red neck

I'm just kidding on those last comments :) Those are just old bad stereotypes for those areas now it seems.

Cheerilee

Re: Joyce-Collingwood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce–Collingwood_Station

The "Collingwood" portion of the name was added in 2001 to try to reflect a positive presence imposed by SkyTrain on the surrounding community, as this station had been known to have a particularly negative community impact in terms of inducing high rates of crime and violence since its opening in the mid-80s.

And the bus loop underneath the Metrotown Skytrain station was supposed to be this wonder of modern development, but after it opened it slowly became known as "A place to go if you want to get stabbed." Something about the terrain just collects sketchiness that drifts down from the Skytrain. The police put in some HEAVY police presence, which mostly took care of the problem, but the troops are still visible there today, because as soon as they turn around, the problem comes back. Other malls aren't like the bus loop. The rest of Metrotown isn't like the bus loop.

It's not just Tabris. If you risk getting stabbed, it's a genuine ghetto.

Ra\/en

I grew up just near Eagle Ridge Hospital in the Port Moody area. It is beautiful out there and they have made some lovely new developments too.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I used to live @ Joyce-Collingwood.
Took the Skytrain every day.

Collingwood Village is a nice area. Newish high rises. Well lit streets. A ton of students and families live there. It's fine. However, the area around and to the west of the Joyce Skytrain station is sketchy. On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd give it about a 3.

Still, I never once ran into trouble. And I lived around there for nearly 5 years.

Top Bottom