• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

sikkinixx

Anyone live around the tri-cities area? Where's a good sushi place? I'm not expecting crazy quality but something fresh and decent nearby home.

Gila

Anyone live around the tri-cities area? Where's a good sushi place? I'm not expecting crazy quality but something fresh and decent nearby home.

California Sushi (right beside Lougheed Mall) or Sushi Town (close to Coq Center). Don't go to Sui Sha Ya

I'm looking for more recommendations also!

If you told me one day that the PNW became our own coutry, I wouldn't care about it at all as long as we got decent healthcare.

Flag_of_Cascadia.png
casmap.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I usually use Priceline's "Name Your Price" booking system when looking for hotels. If you do a 4 star search for Downtown Vancouver and bid $70 - $80 you might get something pretty nice downtown where it's easy to transit or walk to everything from.

Holy shit, thanks for pointing out this feature to me.

I couldn't find any decent hotel in downtown Vancouver just by looking at normal webpages, so I gave this a shot. It didn't work at $70 or $80, and I had to keep bidding higher, but I managed to score two nights at the Marriott for $140 per night.

I checked there website, and it appears their asking price for rooms during the days I am going start at $329, so I got a hell of a steal.

I'm going to be using this Priceline thing anytime I travel and don't need to stay in a very specific location. Awesome!

I'm heading up there from Seattle on Friday morning and staying until sometime on Sunday. I decided to take my own car instead of the train. Now I just need to find some things to do and places to go...

My wife stays at the Fairmont in Boston all the time for work. In fact, she's stayed there so much in the past year that we've got two free nights plus suite upgrades to use at any Fairmont. Just booked two nights at the Fairmont Pacific Rim for July 27-28th.

I'm heading up there from Seattle on Friday morning and staying until sometime on Sunday. I decided to take my own car instead of the train. Now I just need to find some things to do and places to go...

Have dinner at Bin 941. It's my favorite restaurant in Vancouver, if not the world.

http://www.bin941.com

Ra\/en

I am glad others have already mentioned why this is a bad idea.

Whatever u guys say! I Like Alberta. I won't get into a discussion about why (not the place for it here). I'm from B.C., but moved out here for school. I do intend to come back to Vancouver eventually. It's just so darn expensive.

GG-Duo

Hey, do you guys have any recommendations for brunch? I love Mothers in Portland, and was wondering if there's anything similar here, with great eggs and coffee.

I'd also like to hear about your Mexican restaurant recommendations.

beat

Don Guacamole's* in the West End (forgive them the tourist trap-ish name, it's actually good, or at least it was the one time I went there) and Salsa and Agave in Yaletown.

* recent yelp reviews say it's closed, either temporarily or permanently. You can look up their contact info online and see if they'll open again later.

Fou-Lu

I will forever call myself a Cascadian from now on.

BTW, which city is Cascadia City? Looks somewhere around Terrace.

Cheerilee

I don't do Mexican, but I've heard from some mega-enthusiasts that Charlie's Cafe in Port Moody is great. I got dragged there. I had tacos. They... were tacos. Very long drive.

cdyhybrid

Vancouverites! I will be visiting your fair city in about a week and a half for Memorial Day weekend. It will be my first time visiting Canada. Going with some friends from college, likely just going to be eating and drinking a lot. Any recommendations on things to do during the day and nightlife would be greatly appreciated.

Firestorm

Holy shit, thanks for pointing out this feature to me.

I couldn't find any decent hotel in downtown Vancouver just by looking at normal webpages, so I gave this a shot. It didn't work at $70 or $80, and I had to keep bidding higher, but I managed to score two nights at the Marriott for $140 per night.

I checked there website, and it appears their asking price for rooms during the days I am going start at $329, so I got a hell of a steal.

I'm going to be using this Priceline thing anytime I travel and don't need to stay in a very specific location. Awesome!

no problem :) I've been using it ever since I found out about it as well. Have used it to stay in downtown Toronto multiple times, Montreal, and even got the Sheraton near Times Square for $110 a night! Changed my travel life XD

Here is a pro-tip for any Vancouver GAFF'ers looking for a cheap/healthy/fun thing to do this summer.

Learn Skim Boarding!

I cannot get over what a ridiculously fun activity it is... And the price to get into it is hardly anything, and after that it's FREE!

i3xN1l.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn... It just dawned on my that Vancouver is in another country from me, so I'll be paying international rates, which means super-expensive data with a ridiculous cap. I guess I won't be using Google maps to drive around...

I'm heading up there this weekend with family (from Seattle), anyone recommend local eats? We plan on spending 50-100 dollars a day on food/libation for two days. We're down to trying everything, offal, etc (we're Vietnamese).

FyreWulff

So, I just moved to Vancouver and will be here for quite a while. Would anyone be interested in a meetup of some sort? I'm near downtown, but I don't mind going anywhere the transit system can take me since I want to really explore this place.

So damn huge. Already had some awesome Indian food and had a giant burrito from Chronic Taco.

master15

Have dinner at Bin 941. It's my favorite restaurant in Vancouver, if not the world.

http://www.bin941.com

Ah, I keep hearing good things about bin941 but haven't been yet.

So, I just moved to Vancouver and will be here for quite a while. Would anyone be interested in a meetup of some sort? I'm near downtown, but I don't mind going anywhere the transit system can take me since I want to really explore this place.

How are you enjoying the city so far? What brought you to Vancouver.

I am currently out of the country but when I first moved to Vancouver I met up with a couple of Gaffers.
All I can say is stay in downtown Vancouver, it's so convenient.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'm in Burnaby this fall... Anyone else here attending at Capilano?

So damn huge. Already had some awesome Indian food and had a giant burrito from Chronic Taco.

Lucky you, I'd love to live closer to downtown.

So we had no idea that the Vietnam entry in the Celebration of Light is going down the night we're staying at the Fairmont Pacific Rim (July 28th). Should be an awesome evening.

Also, I'll be heading to the Alibi Room that afternoon for a beer or two while the wife is enjoying a spa day...

FyreWulff

Ah, I keep hearing good things about bin941 but haven't been yet.

How are you enjoying the city so far? What brought you to Vancouver.

It seems pretty cool. Having a competent transit system is mindblowing after coming from Omaha, which has the worst transit system ever. I'm here due to a game development contract because someone bought an engine I wrote. It was like "would you like to come see Vancouver?" and since it's like, great opportunity to see another country, I took it. I might end up being here for about a year. Unless I find someone, then I might consider dual wielding citizenship.

One thing my friend that brought me up here told me (he's from Edmonton), he warned me about how Vancouver works, in that it seems everyone kind of stays in their own personal space. It's like a clusterfuck of people when I went downtown proper before, and none of them are really interacting with each other. It's kind of weird and something I'm not used to. I've been told people just don't visit each other to hang out, it's more like "let's go do this activity together" and they don't interact farther than that.

Also this place has a bunch of awesome buffets of every cuisine type within walking distance.

I also already had my first "pointless French" moment when I saw Bulletstorm in the local Gamestop. BULLESTORM: EPIC EDITION / EDITION EPIC

One thing my friend that brought me up here told me (he's from Edmonton), he warned me about how Vancouver works, in that it seems everyone kind of stays in their own personal space. It's like a clusterfuck of people when I went downtown proper before, and none of them are really interacting with each other. It's kind of weird and something I'm not used to. I've been told people just don't visit each other to hang out, it's more like "let's go do this activity together" and they don't interact farther than that.

It's the Pacific Northwest "Freeze." We've got it in Seattle as well, but I'm a native so I've never encountered it.

You from Omaha originally? My wife grew up there before coming out here for college back in 1999.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Moving to New West in a couple weeks. Lived in Burnaby and Vancouver the last 8 years. Not exactly looking forward to it, but we're pretty close to 6th and 6th, which seems like a decent area.

FyreWulff

It's the Pacific Northwest "Freeze." We've got it in Seattle as well, but I'm a native so I've never encountered it.

You from Omaha originally? My wife grew up there before coming out here for college back in 1999.

Born and raised, yup. What part of Omaha was she from? North, South, or West?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'm always curious... GAFfers who met up and all here in Vancouver, do you guys still keep in contact afterward ?

Hey NeoGAF. I'm going to be in Vancouver for most fo the week. Are there any cool events going on? Any places I should go(don't come here often)

Cheerilee

Hey NeoGAF. I'm going to be in Vancouver for most fo the week. Are there any cool events going on? Any places I should go(don't come here often)

There's an anime convention in Canada Place on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. It's apparently supposed to be "mid-sized" by anime convention standards, which is bigger than Vancouver has seen. $75 for a three-day pass.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

- Stanely Park
- Lynn valley
- Deep Cove
- Granville Island
- Kits Beach
- Grouse mountain Grind

Lots of pubs and whatnot around downtown that you can visit :)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Van-GAF: has anyone here heard about the EXP Bar?

They had a campaign on indiegogo (site similar to kickstarter) to get this videogame-themed bar going on with consoles and all that stuff. Fast forward a couple of months. After they gather all the money and are applying for the liquor license, they get a clause that prohibits them to have any form of consoles on their venue. This video tells the whole story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcn0IVhaZ84&feature=plcp

What do you guys think? They're making this petition online if you wanna sign it: http://www.change.org/petitions/fig...-establishments-change-liquor-licensing-in-bc

Van-GAF: has anyone here heard about the EXP Bar?

They had a campaign on indiegogo (site similar to kickstarter) to get this videogame-themed bar going on with consoles and all that stuff. Fast forward a couple of months. After they gather all the money and are applying for the liquor license, they get a clause that prohibits them to have any form of consoles on their venue. This video tells the whole story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcn0IVhaZ84&feature=plcp

What do you guys think? They're making this petition online if you wanna sign it: http://www.change.org/petitions/fig...-establishments-change-liquor-licensing-in-bc
I contributed and signed the petition. I'm actually going there for the first time tonight. Will let you know how it is.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I contributed and signed the petition. I'm actually going there for the first time tonight. Will let you know how it is.

Cool, I was thinking of going next week. While I didn't contribute I was still pumped on the idea of playing SSBM on a restaurant. :(

Akim

Banned
It's a bar...but with no games....so it's exactly not what they wanted to open....so it's just a bar. Alrighty then.

srst

I just moved to Vancouver from Toronto a few weeks ago. I'm liking the city a lot. Just seeing mountains when I walk out the door amazes me every time. The traffic sucks though and beggars are everywhere. :mad:

Archer

I just moved to Vancouver from Toronto a few weeks ago. I'm liking the city a lot. Just seeing mountains when I walk out the door amazes me every time. The traffic sucks though and beggars are everywhere. :mad:

You're from Toronto and you think Vancouver traffic sucks? lol

Top Bottom