• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Ahhhh...

Yeah, downtown folk seem to love never leaving downtown, not even to visit their friends/go to social events. If you live there and leave, they act like you don't exist anymore. It's kind of sad. The furthest you'd see someone in downtown go is, like... Kits or Main. MAYBE Commercial if you're lucky.
Pretty much.

I moved downtown a year and a half ago (previously lived near Joyce) and don't stray far from downtown nowadays. The thought process is kinda like, "why would I want to go to Burnaby?! no. let's just meet downtown... that's where i live and where you and everyone in the GVR want to be anyway."

I do go to Richmond 2-3 times a week though because I'm Asian and that's what we do.

FyreWulff

My roommate pointed out to me, and it makes total sense: nobody hangs out in Vancouver. You have 'activity partners'/'activity friends' where you go and do something together, then go your separate ways back home at the end of the night.

It's not like back home where people will just go over to each other's house and hang out and do stuff.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
My roommate pointed out to me, and it makes total sense: nobody hangs out in Vancouver. You have 'activity partners'/'activity friends' where you go and do something together, then go your separate ways back home at the end of the night.

It's not like back home where people will just go over to each other's house and hang out and do stuff.
But, Canadians are so polite and friendly!

/s

TommyT

Gotta say, The Couv is a pretty amazing town. Was shocked how well things worked there like not having AC, downtown traffic, recycling, etc. Was definitely a cool time was I was there especially going up to Grouse Mountain. Lest I forget, the Poutine was indeed excellent and this needs to be more widespread. I ate at what people were calling "the best" which was somewhere downtown.

Can't wait to get back!

Housing is expensive, so most people live in a shoebox that can't accommodate large crowds. Everyone is spread out, late-night transit is unreliable, and driving is difficult (carbon tax and mediocre infrastructure), so people don't hang out late because they have to travel a hour or more to get home.

Couple that with people more interested in their smartphones and headphones and you get a isolated culture.

That being said, I don't think Vancouver is any worse than other big cities. The recent census shows that more people are living alone, not getting married, having fewer kids at an older age, working longer, etc. It's all part of a gradual societal shift.

FyreWulff

Housing is expensive, so most people live in a shoebox that can't accommodate large crowds. Everyone is spread out, late-night transit is unreliable, and driving is difficult (carbon tax and mediocre infrastructure), so people don't hang out late because they have to travel a hour or more to get home.

Couple that with people more interested in their smartphones and headphones and you get a isolated culture.

That being said, I don't think Vancouver is any worse than other big cities. The recent census shows that more people are living alone, not getting married, having fewer kids at an older age, working longer, etc. It's all part of a gradual societal shift.

Well, that, and the highly transient population of the city would also contribute, in terms of people coming and going for jobs and such. Dat Pacific Northwest Freeze

AlexMogil

Don't go to Yaohan if you're not Asian. You'll probably get the "What are you doing here, this is our mall" stare, to varying degrees. From customers and shopkeepers. Shopkeepers might even dick you around a little. Stick to any number of other Asian malls instead.

Oh, Ive been in there. It was neat. It's like "This place and everything in it is Chinese, if you don't like it tough." I got a lot of stares. It was white me, my Ugandan friend, and his Uganda/Indian kids. I want to go back because it was just so unabashedly NOT FOR YOU, JUST US.

Gotta say, The Couv is a pretty amazing town. Was shocked how well things worked there like not having AC, downtown traffic, recycling, etc. Was definitely a cool time was I was there especially going up to Grouse Mountain. Lest I forget, the Poutine was indeed excellent and this needs to be more widespread. I ate at what people were calling "the best" which was somewhere downtown.

Can't wait to get back!

Don't call it that. No one fucking calls it that.

lethial

Reeeeeeee

Can't wait to get back!

Don't ever show your face here again if you insist on calling it that.

Can't wait to get back!

Ew.

Phffft, you Downtown folk are such pussies. Nothing wrong with a good stabbing, keeps you on your toes.

no one stabs people here

Vancouver is an expensive city to live in, but the East side is generally cheaper than downtown and if you ask me the vibe on Commercial and Main is way more awesome than the drunken hooligan shenanigans that occur downtown.

GG-Duo

You guys know that SFU is holding a series of events this week to engage the community about loneliness in Vancouver? I guess it's a reaction to the report earlier this year by The Vancouver Foundation, and the series of articles that the Vancouver Sun put out.

If I remember correctly, we're the loneliest city in Canada.

I suppose it's the rain, the bad transit, and especially the cliquey-ness of our multiculture. I've lived in Toronto before, and Vancouver's approach to multiculture feels different. There's more distinct pockets, whereas Toronto is more melted together.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Opinion/Community-of+-Interest/Opinion+Invite+neighbour+over+your+better/7262469/story.html

FyreWulff

Don't hate on your transit. I wish we had it back home in Omaha. The only complaint I have about Vancouver's system is that it's cramped on the bus, and people don't know to move back and compress when more need to get on / someone in a wheelchair needs to get on. The Skytrain is awesome.

Meanwhile in Omaha there's parts of the city that I could walk to in 30 minutes but it'd take me an hour and a half to get there via the bus.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

Can't wait to get back!
the couv

WAT

Firestorm

With a decent amount of my friends, board game nights are becoming a thing so we hang out at each other's places more... but yeah still an activity. Was the case even a long time ago when we'd go over to each other's houses to play video games.

Akim

Banned
Vancouver is an expensive city to live in, but the East side is generally cheaper than downtown and if you ask me the vibe on Commercial and Main is way more awesome than the drunken hooligan shenanigans that occur downtown.

I live on Victoria Drive, fairly close to Commercial and I like it a lot.

Leeness

Lolol Newton Exchange area is such a cesspool. Just coming back from school and there's 8 cop cars and a psycho waving a huge butcher knife. He must have also been causing shit on a bus because the cops were prepared to just shoot him on sight. They did take him down and throw him in the back of a car without having to shoot him, though.

This is the same week that there was a bomb squad at school. Lol. SURREY! Back to gentle White Rock~

Archer

My mom works in park royal. That EB games is a piece of shit and a half. I saw that red head girl trying to sell a kid no more than 8 GTA4, the mom had no idea until I told her she shouldn't get that game for her him.
mostly because I didn't like it but c'mon the kid was 8

the guy with glasses who runs the place is a turd.

TommyT

Probably Fritz's European Fry House. Their poutine is amazing.

Yeah that was the name! Chatted up the owner a bit to bring it to Texas and he seemed interested!

Just remembered - I really enjoyed Green Island Pale Ale (I think that was the name) quite a bit while I was there. By no means am I an aficionado or anything and I really dislike bitter beers, however this was a very good drink.

Don't call it that. No one fucking calls it that.

Don't ever show your face here again if you insist on calling it that.

the couv

WAT

I HAVE DUBBED IT SO!

Yeah that was the name! Chatted up the owner a bit to bring it to Texas and he seemed interested!

Just remembered - I really enjoyed Green Island Pale Ale (I think that was the name) quite a bit while I was there. By no means am I an aficionado or anything and I really dislike bitter beers, however this was a very good drink.

Probably Granville Island.

I've found that none of my favorite BC breweries are in the city itself. Howe Sound is up in Squamish, Central City is in Surrey, and Driftwood is out on Vancouver Island.

Oh, we know that. Don't worry.

One of my favourite things to do when I walk by that is say, quite loudly, "HOLY COW, A CLOCK". Stupid tourists.

FyreWulff

One of my favourite things to do when I walk by that is say, quite loudly, "HOLY COW, A CLOCK". Stupid tourists.

It was introduced to me by my hosts by them saying "By the way, this is the steam clock. It's stupid but people gawk at it"

And I was pretty much "yup".

A more interesting spectacle was when we walked back to our place near 10th & Broadway by walking across the Granville Bridge from the downtown core.

Holy shit.

That bridge.

So big and dangerous as fuck for everyone involved

TommyT

Probably Granville Island.

I've found that none of my favorite BC breweries are in the city itself. Howe Sound is up in Squamish, Central City is in Surrey, and Driftwood is out on Vancouver Island.

Doh! I think I was calling it Green the whole time even though people kept saying Gran, so it's coming back to me. Going to do some research and maybe I can find it down here (doubtful).

Granville Island doesn't distribute outside Canada. The three I mentioned are all available here in Seattle, but I don't think they make it outside WA in the states.

Well crap. I guess the next time I'll enjoy it will be PAX 2013.

Doh! I think I was calling it Green the whole time even though people kept saying Gran, so it's coming back to me. Going to do some research and maybe I can find it down here (doubtful).

Granville Island doesn't distribute outside Canada. The three I mentioned are all available here in Seattle, but I don't think they make it outside WA in the states.

*Whistles while walking away*

I'm sorry I had too. My uncle and his gf from Texas just loved it for some reason. At least I didn't hug it or pose in front of it!

And one of my favorite things about Canada...

Though strangely All-Bran is just known as All-Bran.

Lolol Newton Exchange area is such a cesspool. Just coming back from school and there's 8 cop cars and a psycho waving a huge butcher knife. He must have also been causing shit on a bus because the cops were prepared to just shoot him on sight. They did take him down and throw him in the back of a car without having to shoot him, though.

This is the same week that there was a bomb squad at school. Lol. SURREY! Back to gentle White Rock~

You gotta be hardcore to live in Surrey. It's a hard knock life. Pft, White Rock.

I HAVE DUBBED IT SO!

No. Just no.

Top Bottom