• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Ellasman

I'd be down for a GAF meetup! I'm all the way at UBC and new here.

Try to find the underground Chinese resteraunt that's near the McDonald's next to the staples. Very unknown place. I go to Lord Byng high school it's really close to UBC. So, I know the area pretty well.

Tabris

I've yet to be in a part of Vancouver that I feel I'd be shanked in.

Go to the street behind The Brick near Surrey Central. Go to the alley just north of Main and Hastings. Go to that bus loop near Metrotown. All of those at night. The alley behind what is now The Pint also used to be very sketchy but I think The Pint being there now killed the drug traffic back there.

There's a couple of places that you could feel unsafe in Vancouver. Luckily most crime here is drug related and if you're not in the drug trade or a user, you don't need to worry about it generally as long as you have some common sense. I still wouldn't walk anywhere near those 3 spots at night.

Tabris

Main and Hastings...

Main and Hastings is actually much safer than most places, including almost all of Surrey and New Westminister. There's too many people (not just junkies, but people bar hopping or hitting up places like no.5 orange) and too much police presence for anything to go down on those streets, at night or during the day (except OD's). The alley near there is a different situation. But you would only go there to buy drugs or use them.

EDIT - Well it could be dangerous if you're dumb enough to get in the face of someone tripping out (either from a lot of meth or just psychosis), but that would happen anywhere, you just have a lot more people tripping out there daily.

Ellasman

Main and Hastings is actually much safer than most places. There's too many people (not just junkies, but people bar hopping or hitting up places like no.5 orange) and too much police presence for anything to go down on those streets, at night or during the day. The alley near there is a different situation. But you would only go there to buy drugs or use them.

It's the only place I could think of off the top of my head.

I don't want to sound racist. So
if this offends anyone I appologize and I don't want to be a dick. You really shouldn't walk around the native reservations at night. I have friends and family that have been attacked in different reservations.

I feel like such a dick

beat

And the bus loop underneath the Metrotown Skytrain station was supposed to be this wonder of modern development, but after it opened it slowly became known as "A place to go if you want to get stabbed." Something about the terrain just collects sketchiness that drifts down from the Skytrain. The police put in some HEAVY police presence, which mostly took care of the problem, but the troops are still visible there today, because as soon as they turn around, the problem comes back. Other malls aren't like the bus loop. The rest of Metrotown isn't like the bus loop.

It's not just Tabris. If you risk getting stabbed, it's a genuine ghetto.

I spent years in the late 90s going to/from SFU via the Metrotown bus loop and I don't remember ever feeling scared or even noticing much of a police presence...

Cheerilee

It's the only place I could think of off the top of my head.

I don't want to sound racist. So
if this offends anyone I appologize and I don't want to be a dick. You really shouldn't walk around the native reservations at night. I have friends and family that have been attacked in different reservations.

I feel like such a dick

Don't go to Yaohan if you're not Asian. You'll probably get the "What are you doing here, this is our mall" stare, to varying degrees. From customers and shopkeepers. Shopkeepers might even dick you around a little. Stick to any number of other Asian malls instead.

Ellasman

Don't go to Yaohan if you're not Asian. You'll probably get the "What are you doing here, this is our mall" stare, to varying degrees. From customers and shopkeepers. Shopkeepers might even dick you around a little. Stick to any number of other Asian malls instead.

I don't even know Yaohan.

beat

I'm Chinese-Canadian, so I wouldn't know, but if you'd asked me to guess, I would have assumed Parker Place would be like that the most, then Yaohan second...

I grew up in Richmond, it's not that bad. I have gotten some funny looks in Yaohan, but I think that comment is exaggerating it a little.

Anybody here use Wind Mobile? My contract with Rogers is up and $29 for Unlimited Local Call+Text+Data is pretty hard to pass up. Just looking for any opinions on their service or coverage.

Cheerilee

Anybody here use Wind Mobile? My contract with Rogers is up and $29 for Unlimited Local Call+Text+Data is pretty hard to pass up. Just looking for any opinions on their service or coverage.

You should probably expect to get weaker signal. Weak-but-working signal is fine for talk and text, but it cuts your speed if you're using data. Expect more complete loss of signal in large concrete buildings and underground parking lots.

Anecdotally, I've found that I get better signal in my regular routine with Wind than I did with Bell, or that I've observed from friends with Koodo, Fido, and Telus. Plus Wind is cheaper and offers better features. I was paying more for much less from Bell. I'm very happy with Wind. But from what I've heard, my anecdote is in the minority. You should expect to get worse signal.

Also, don't expect your phone to work at all outside of their coverage maps (one of the first things you should do is turn off roaming). If you drive to Point Roberts for gas, you'll get no signal. When you get back into Vancouver, Wind will send you text messages telling you who all tried to call while you were gone.

I haven't had any customer service issues, but I wouldn't expect much support.

Wind is no-contract, so you can walk away you find them inadequate, but you're responsible to pay for the phone, which you can probably sell at a loss on Craigslist. They also have a try-out period where, if you're unsatisfied, you can return the phone and walk away with no penalty. I think it's something like one week or one hour of airtime (whichever comes first). So if you sign up, the first thing you should do is run the rounds of all of your regular locations and check the phone constantly to see if the signal strength is adequate.

Edit: Oh and, if you can convince two family members to switch to Wind, you get $15 discount per-month, so that $29 unlimited plan essentially becomes a $24 unlimited plan.

Ellasman

I like being seventeen and not having to worry about paying my own phone bill. As soon as I start my job at Shaugnessey Golf Club theyre going to make me pay.

RC

Banned
Go to the street behind The Brick near Surrey Central. Go to the alley just north of Main and Hastings. Go to that bus loop near Metrotown. All of those at night. The alley behind what is now The Pint also used to be very sketchy but I think The Pint being there now killed the drug traffic back there.

There's a couple of places that you could feel unsafe in Vancouver. Luckily most crime here is drug related and if you're not in the drug trade or a user, you don't need to worry about it generally as long as you have some common sense. I still wouldn't walk anywhere near those 3 spots at night.

There's nothing unsafe about the Metrotown bus loop. I live in Burnaby and have yet to be stabbed. My day's coming though, I'm sure of it.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Soooo, I was picking up some booze at the liquor store near Boundary and Hastings. Guy was nice and all, but when I payed by debit...

There was a fucking tip amount selection. I don't think you could refuse it. wtf.

I'm originally from Ontario and even at the one other place I've picked up beer at in Vancouver I've never seen this.

Explain?

Firestorm

Soooo, I was picking up some booze at the liquor store near Boundary and Hastings. Guy was nice and all, but when I payed by debit...

There was a fucking tip amount selection. I don't think you could refuse it. wtf.

I'm originally from Ontario and even at the one other place I've picked up beer at in Vancouver I've never seen this.

Explain?
Enter 0 'cause that's bullshit. I hate when places that don't have service prompt you for tip.

Explain?

You got scammed.

Cheerilee

I was at Subway and asked for extra cheese on my sub, and they said it was a dollar, and I said okay, but then they made the sub to my liking and rang it up and didn't charge me for the extra cheese.

And when I went to pay with a credit card, their system had a "Tip?" prompt, so I figured "what the heck" and entered $1.

When it cleared and the teller looked at the receipt, she said "Oh? Ooooohhhh..." and smiled and said thank you.

I think she was very much used to people entering "zero".

Quick

Banned

Explain?

That is odd. A tip for what? Scanning your booze? lol. You didn't actually leave a tip, did you?!

Leave it at $0.00 and press "Ok", and you should be good.

Terrell

Close. I rarely ever leave downtown Vancouver / West End / Stanley Park / Gastown / Kits / Commercial area in general when in Greater Vancouver. There's nothing for me outside of this area in Greater Vancouver. Metrotown? I'm not a 13 year old girl. Surrey? I'm not a drug dealer. Maple Ridge? I'm not a red neck

I'm just kidding on those last comments :) Those are just old bad stereotypes for those areas now it seems.

Ahhhh...

Yeah, downtown folk seem to love never leaving downtown, not even to visit their friends/go to social events. If you live there and leave, they act like you don't exist anymore. It's kind of sad. The furthest you'd see someone in downtown go is, like... Kits or Main. MAYBE Commercial if you're lucky.

Ellasman

Does anyone here hunt?

Ahhhh...

Yeah, downtown folk seem to love never leaving downtown, not even to visit their friends/go to social events. If you live there and leave, they act like you don't exist anymore. It's kind of sad. The furthest you'd see someone in downtown go is, like... Kits or Main. MAYBE Commercial if you're lucky.

Dunbar, Kits, Point Grey. It's all you need.

bighotdog

Neo Member

Uh, no.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Went downtown this afternoon and was pissed to discover Gamedeals in Gastown is no longer there. I wanted a new poster and that "Touch Fuzzy get Dizzy" shirt...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah the EB in Pacific Centre is closing, too. The Gamestop on Cambie and 8th has way nicer staff though, so it's not much of a loss.

Say whaaaaaaaaaaat? For real? That's one of the few EBGames I go to... Apart from the one at Park Royal... damnit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Went downtown this afternoon and was pissed to discover Gamedeals in Gastown is no longer there. I wanted a new poster and that "Touch Fuzzy get Dizzy" shirt...
They only opened for about five minutes in Gastown.

Go to Columbia SkyTrain station to find their main location.

You could also checkout Press Start on 12th st while you're in new west.

Tabris

Yeah the EB in Pacific Centre is closing, too. The Gamestop on Cambie and 8th has way nicer staff though, so it's not much of a loss.

EB is the worst if you're a busy adult. The staff spend 5+ minutes with each customer talking to them about different offers or games in general, such as explaining to a Mom what games her kids might want or talking about upcoming games with other gamers. I just want to buy my games right away.

Archer

Say whaaaaaaaaaaat? For real? That's one of the few EBGames I go to... Apart from the one at Park Royal... damnit.

the eb games' staff at park royal are elitist twats.

and speaking of park royal, 5 guys is now closed. so is half the mall for reno.

Ellasman

the eb games' staff at park royal are elitist twats.

and speaking of park royal, 5 guys is now closed. so is half the mall for reno.

My mom works in park royal. That EB games is a piece of shit and a half. I saw that red head girl trying to sell a kid no more than 8 GTA4, the mom had no idea until I told her she shouldn't get that game for her him.
mostly because I didn't like it but c'mon the kid was 8

Top Bottom