• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

AlexMogil

I dunno, as much as I like Granville Island, it's a lot like Pike Place Market but with way less history. Still fun, and certainly the individual vendors are different because there are relatively few chain stores or restaurants.

Can you get in, visit, and out of Granville island in three hours?

beat

Sure. Skytrain to Granville station, take any of the buses that cross Granville St bridge, then get off at the first stop past the bridge (4th?). It's a 20 min walk from the bus stop to the far end (the actual produce markets) of the island, I think, but there's fun stuff all over the island, which really isn't very big anyways. Then reverse the directions to get back downtown.

The Whitecaps play downtown, right? I'm honestly not sure.

CTE

The Whitecaps play downtown, right? I'm honestly not sure.

BC Place.

If you had more time I would go to White Rock and get some fish and chips on the pier. I love doing that when I have a full day(and you need a car for sure).

The main problem is that no matter what you do, Seattle has some sort of similar activity. So there isn't much in the way of original things to try that you couldn't do. Not that it makes it less fun, just an observation I'm making.

Anyone here ever go to Point Roberts as a kid for the beach and stuff? So many memories there for me. Plus all the stores had US candy we couldn't get in Canada.

master15

Back in Vancouver, having been gone a tick over 3 months. For a while I wasn't sure if I wanted to return to Vancouver after an ugly incident at YVR with a CBSA officer. After a lot of delays and complications finally right decision was made and ARC was authorized.

Now that I'm back wanted to survey the group and ask for reccomendation on food joints, lounges & bars. I live downtown so that's preferable but need not be exclusive.

Just a reminder for the new page (sod off, 50-page heathens) of the pending GAF meetup next week at EXP Bar.

List a weekday evening that works for you.

beat

The main problem is that no matter what you do, Seattle has some sort of similar activity. So there isn't much in the way of original things to try that you couldn't do. Not that it makes it less fun, just an observation I'm making.
I would have suggested the Richmond Night Market (you can even get there by Canada Line, I'm told), but it doesn't fit Akim's schedule. But that is something that Seattle doesn't really have...

I would have suggested the Richmond Night Market (you can even get there by Canada Line, I'm told), but it doesn't fit Akim's schedule. But that is something that Seattle doesn't really have...

We actually have a night market down in the ID during August and September.

Tabris

I would be down for another bar but EXP. The fact that guy just mentioned he got food poisoning from there makes me wary and the fact gamer nerds probably make horrible chefs. Know what's great and I just spent 6hrs drinking at? The Pint at Hastings and Abbott. We should go there. Pretty cheap and good vibe.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I may be free on Monday for a meetup too. Decide on a time guys... after work hours, of course.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I would be down for another bar but EXP. The fact that guy just mentioned he got food poisoning from there makes me wary and the fact gamer nerds probably make horrible chefs. Know what's great and I just spent 6hrs drinking at? The Pint at Hastings and Abbott. We should go there. Pretty cheap and good vibe.

Is that the place on top of that 90's club? Went there a few weeks back, the music was...90's. It was interesting. (fun, but less dancey for sure.)

RC

Banned
Is that the place on top of that 90's club? Went there a few weeks back, the music was...90's. It was interesting. (fun, but less dancey for sure.)

It's called Vinyl. For a club it's alright.

I like the Pint too, only place in the city that I know of that has table kegs.

Firestorm

I haven't been food poisoned, nor has anyone I know who has been there and I know quite a few. Exp Bar should be a great first location for this. I'm down for 7:00 PM at Exp Bar on Monday. Who else is in? Instead of changing the location it would be better to know if you're in or out.

GAF Meet-up: Monday Oct. 1st at EXP Bar, 7:00pm

Lone_Prodigy
Firestorm
Cabbie(?)
Wolf Dawgz
Tabris(?)
NetMapel(?)

No more discussion on location: what usually happens is that people start suggesting other places and then start agreeing and flaking on the original location.

If you're scared of the food eat beforehand.

http://www.facebook.com/expbar for stuff on their menu.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason I thought that it was today. Sorry guys:( Does Thursday sound good for anybody else?

I think it's best to leave this for after Thanksgiving. Later this week, when I have some time, I'll make a doodle so we can all agree on the best day and venue for this.

Ellasman

Any current UBC students? The application deadline is fast approaching and I was wondering what types of question are asked for the personal profile.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Hey Vancouver-Age, any good ideas for where to go for dates? I have been skating at Thunderbird stadium at UBC, gone to a couple gardens (when the weather was warmer), and done typical stuff like movie theater, bowling/billiards, etc. As the weather is going to start to get colder and rainier, I guess a lot of outdoor activities are out of the question...My girlfriend isn't from Vancouver either, so touristy stuff is good too!

Any current UBC students? The application deadline is fast approaching and I was wondering what types of question are asked for the personal profile.

I'm a current UBC First Year Student. You can look at the questions for the personal profile right now if you're applying. I remember stuff like volunteer/work experience, hardest challenges in your life. I forgot what else was on there.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hey Vancouver-Age, any good ideas for where to go for dates? I have been skating at Thunderbird stadium at UBC, gone to a couple gardens (when the weather was warmer), and done typical stuff like movie theater, bowling/billiards, etc. As the weather is going to start to get colder and rainier, I guess a lot of outdoor activities are out of the question...My girlfriend isn't from Vancouver either, so touristy stuff is good too!

Theatresports/Improv Comedy (e.g. YukYuk on Burrard) comes to mind and is fun. The Aquarium is nice. There's various gokart-rinks indoors and outdoors you can go to. Just as a start?

Ellasman

I'm a current UBC First Year Student. You can look at the questions for the personal profile right now if you're applying. I remember stuff like volunteer/work experience, hardest challenges in your life. I forgot what else was on there.

Oh I didn't know you could see them yet. Thanks!

Which faculty are you in?

Thank you for threads recommendation on Bin 941, my girlfriend and I hit it up on Friday and had a great dinner.

Glad you enjoyed it! My wife and I plan our trips to Vancouver around Bin. We're more than likely coming to see Stars in Vancouver when they announce their solo Canadian tour, and will eat there before the concert.

Roto13

Retro City Rampage just came out. It was developed in Vancouver, and it has a few references to Vancouver in it. Like being able to visit Burrard Station and zones of the city named after streets like Granville.

Top Bottom