• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Fyi to all Canadians: oct 16th is the national hiring day for Bell. Hiring agents will be in bell corporate stores tomorrow and will be accepting résumés and possibly conducting spot interviews if you're up to snuff. Not sûre if anyone in here is interested, but of course if you want to pm me and show me your resume I probably won't mind putting in a good word on your behalf. The Vancouver call centre is also hiring, so once again, if you are well qualified (ie: have a pleasant phone voice and are not a complete troglodyte) feel free to pm me. If you pass muster (or one of your nieces nephews, friends etc) I would give my employee number which you attach to the application. If you apply without it you are just in the queue with everyone else, and it can't be added after a resume is submitted. Anyways, let me know if you're keen, I know most gaffers are tech savvy so at least I can pretend to avoid claims of nepotism.

Reposted for Vancouver gaf. Call centre application is done online.

Someone needs to man up and post a date. Oh wait a minute, next week?
Fuuuucccckkkk for some reason they scheduled me 115-915 all next week. Normally I work 10-6, but yeah... I'll try and switch a shift around if we pick a date but no one wants the late shift :(

Archer

I went to my friend's Halloween party last night and I had to walk through Stanley Park to get there.

What the fuck. Stanley Park is so terrifying at night. I mean, it's gorgeous, the city looks amazing, and it's peaceful.

But it's fucking terrifying.

how do you walk thru stanley park? its on the end of a peninsula. did you go thru lost lagoon, or skirt thru west of denman?

how do you walk thru stanley park? its on the end of a peninsula. did you go thru lost lagoon, or skirt thru west of denman?

I HAVE NO IDEA. I've only been to the Aquarium once before last night, other than that, I've never gone through Stanley Park. Got off at Denman and walked in from there. It's eerily quiet in the park. There's nobody there.

Cheerilee

There's nothing unsafe about the Metrotown bus loop. I live in Burnaby and have yet to be stabbed. My day's coming though, I'm sure of it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/02/bc-skytrain-halted-propane.html

Pipe bombs strapped to propane cylinders discovered at the Scott Road and Metrotown Skytrain stations.

Happy Halloween!

SkyTrain service was halted at Scott Road station during the afternoon incident.

Drennan said trains were allowed to pass through Metrotown while the device there was being dealt with
LOL!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ Yeah my girl and I tried to board at Metrotown skytrain station tonight. It was roped off with caution tape and police officers all around. The mannerisms of the transit worker who barred us entry didn't communicate that they were especially worried though. We just walked a couple blocks to Royal Oak and got on as normal.

I suppose the truth of what the device at Surrey is, and now Metrotown, will come out.... but right now I'm thinking, Al Qaida this ain't.

Probably some teenage asshat.. whether it was a fake bomb or not...

I gotta say though... Vancouver: Earthquake? Or bomb threat? It's probably nothing to worry about :p

Cheerilee

^ Yeah my girl and I tried to board at Metrotown skytrain station tonight. It was roped off with caution tape and police officers all around. The mannerisms of the transit worke rwho barred us entry didn't communicate that they were especially worried though. We just walked a couple blocks to Royal Oak and got on as nomal.

I suppose the truth of what the device at Surrey is, and now Metrotown, will come out.... but right now I'm thinking, Al Qaida this ain't.

Probably some teenage asshat.. whether it was a fake bomb or not...

I gotta say though... Vancouver: Earthquake? Or bomb threat? It's probably nothing to worry about :p

Yup. Halloween shenanigans. Just about every teenage asshat knows how to "improve" their fireworks by removing the paper wrapping and replacing it with steel. And if you're lucky, you might not even kill yourself while trying to build/transport it! This particular asshat knew that you can enhance the flame (and the metal shrapnel) by taping it to a campstove propane cylinder.

It's all exciting fun and games until someone loses a body part.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yup. Halloween shenanigans. Just about every teenage asshat knows how to "improve" their fireworks by removing the paper wrapping and replacing it with steel. And if you're lucky, you might not even kill yourself while trying to build/transport it! This particular asshat knew that you can enhance the flame (and the metal shrapnel) by taping it to a campstove propane cylinder.

It's all exciting fun and games until someone loses a body part.
I didn't mean it was a prank. I just mean its possibly some "anarchist cookbook" kiddy. This isn't a bonafide terrorist unless they have the fortitude to continue beyond this.

As I said, we will find out in the coming days.

the3ye

Talking about Metrotown... Why does it smell so bad over there? Area around Metropolis stinks. It's something like in the middle of a landfill site. It's not only today, whenever I go there, I can smell this horrible scent.

Here's a HumbleBrag for you. I got a reply Tweet from a sort of Celebrity today. Craig Cackowski from NBC Community is in town and I asked him how he's enjoying our sunny weather.

Yaaaaay

Talking about Metrotown... Why does it smell so bad over there? Area around Metropolis stinks. It's something like in the middle of a landfill site. It's not only today, whenever I go there, I can smell this horrible scent.
The stench of western consumerism. And sweat. And desperation.

And sadness.

Ra\/en

Rotting leaves? :p. It's that time of year you know.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So much fog in Surrey today. It was awesome cause the sun continued to shine, so everything was aglow.

I should take photos.

Not just Surrey, the area around second narrows was eerie. You're crossing a bridge and all you see is fog, just like a horror movie.

Not just Surrey, the area around second narrows was eerie. You're crossing a bridge and all you see is fog, just like a horror movie.

That sounds awesome. I couldn't see beyond 9 or 10 feet out here in the fog. Was driving past a small forested road in the morning, pretty mysterious looking.

demonkaze

So i've been considering going to canada on a one year working visa (i'm from the uk) sometime around february - march and I was wondering what are the job oportunities like in Vancouver? Also I was wondering how much a one bedroom apartment or studio costs in vancouver. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reposting what I just did in the Canadian game deals thread. Nov 26 is going to be an important day if you want to pay $75 to unlock a phone at Bell that you never could before, hint hint. applies cross Canada

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So i've been considering going to canada on a one year working visa (i'm from the uk) sometime around february - march and I was wondering what are the job oportunities like in Vancouver? Also I was wondering how much a one bedroom apartment or studio costs in vancouver. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you REALLY want to know this before getting enough motivation up so the answer won't devastate you?

If you come to terms with not living in downtown, you're looking at 700/800+ cheapest, probably. If you just rent a room at a place, you're looking at 500ish. Remember, that's NOT downtown, but within 45mins transit.

lethial

Reeeeeeee

What type of work? Expect to pay a lot for a shoebox in Vancouver. Find a place in Surrey or something and skytrain it in.

Firestorm

Find a place near a skytrain station if outside downtown and commute. Downtown Vancouver you're looking at at least $1100 a month if you wanna live alone I think. Job market depends what you wanna do. I'm having trouble finding work right now =/

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

It really depends on what kind of jobs you're looking for. There are certain sectors/industries in Vancouver that are doing decent now and have good career jobs. I'd suggest you live close by one of our skytrain (tube) stations for ease of transportation. downtown Surrey, east Vancouver border and Burnaby are good places to look for affordable housing.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Hey NetMapel. You're Taiwanese right?
What's your favorite Taiwanese restaurant in the GVR?

Mine is Sunway 三味食堂 in Richmond: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/1477...r/Richmond-Central/Sunway-Restaurant-Richmond

I found out about this place a few months ago and it's probably my favorite restaurant now. Their food reminds me of the night markets in Taipei. Highly recommend it!

I especially like their:
- Milk Tea with pudding
- Mayo Deep-fried Pork Egg Roll
- Taiwanese Deep-friend Pork
- Special Deep-fried Tofu
- Popcorn Chicken Noodle Soup (I've tried this dish at dozens of Taiwanese places and this is the best I've found)
- Taiwanese Deep-fried BBQ Pork on Rice

demonkaze

Thanks for the replies, this is really useful information, i want to find out as much as i can before i decide to go or not. I don't intend to live downtown, somewhere outside vancouver is fine.

As for jobs, I don't really mind what i'm doing so long as i have money coming in. Once i have money coming in i can consider looking for a better job.

Cheerilee

Thanks for the replies, this is really useful information, i want to find out as much as i can before i decide to go or not. I don't intend to live downtown, somewhere outside vancouver is fine.

As for jobs, I don't really mind what i'm doing so long as i have money coming in. Once i have money coming in i can consider looking for a better job.

In this economy, it's really not good to not already have a job. For a few years, everyone in my circle of friends knew that there was a certain major warehouse (Superstore) that was always hiring, so it was a good fallback position for any young guy with a good back, but working there paid for little more than food and lodging, and the job was so physical that it left people too drained to pursue their "I'll find a better job later" plans.

And now that warehouse isn't even hiring anymore. I know a couple of people who are using their parents as a safety net while they try to find more work. I worry about my own future if my current job falls apart.

From what I've learned, the world economy isn't hurting as bad as Great Depression right now, and Vancouver is apparently better off than most places in the world (riding high on a growth boom that's based on itself, and maybe a bubble ready to pop), but... I don't really know how to end this sentence. I think I need a beer.

FyreWulff

I'm pretty much in Vancouver (well, returning shortly anyway) only because I have a job already lined up and set in stone. Lord have mercy if you're looking for a job in there. $_$

In my industry (software) job prospects aren't that great. You need a lot of experience and pay isn't that great (companies can get away with it because of the liveability thing).

Starbucks and retail jobs aren't hard to come by

Tabris

I disagree with Lone Prodigy. There are a lot of great jobs available in the software industry for very competitive pay in my experience. I have been offered 2 jobs by outside companies while working at my current job recently. That shows there is a lack of an experienced workforce out there.

I also take part time courses at BCIT often and I only hear good things about people that have graduated looking for entry level software positions (such as a junior developer) that have been able to move up.

If you are interested in the software industry, and don't have that much experience, I would recommend starting in a help desk environment as they are always hiring and it shows you have client-facing experience on a resume (if interested in moving in more technical but client-facing jobs). Won't make that much though, but a lot of companies hire from their internal teams and you can work yourself up to a much better paid job.

More big news at Bell. If you're looking for the best New smartphone around, this weekend will definitely not disappoint when it comes to price. Hint hint.

Tabris

A bunch of people at my work and some friends have Bell. Bell is horrible. Bad coverage/service in different parts of the city. Switches from LTE to 3G all the time as you go through the city. Their network just isn't there out west.

I would recommend Rogers if you are in the city. They have truly horrible customer service but their network is much better and they always roll out the newest technologies and data related plans before the others. I wouldn't recommend Fido as they are on the same network, but for some reason can't roll out the newest offerings Rogers does until everyone is doing it (Bell & Telus)

I would recommend Telus if you are out of the city (such as on the island or inner BC) as their network coverage is much better outside the city than Rogers/Fido (same as Bell). The difference between Bell and Telus is Telus has much better customer service and you will be able to get better discounts when you bundle all services through them (cable, internet, mobile, home), just need to negotiate over the phone when you have a contract renewal / new customer.

Don't ever go to Wind. Their network is a mess and you will constantly experience 3G-dead or slow areas (about as bad as Bell is with LTE).

Don't ever go to Wind. Their network is a mess and you will constantly experience 3G-dead or slow areas (about as bad as Bell is with LTE).
For the price of my Wind plan and what I get compared to the competition (unlimited local calling, text, data) it's hard for me to complain. Then again, I really only use my phone internet for browsing during transit or looking up the occasional directions. Work and home has Wifi.

Tabris

For the price of my Wind plan and what I get compared to the competition (unlimited local calling, text, data) it's hard for me to complain. Then again, I really only use my phone internet for browsing during transit or looking up the occasional directions. Work and home has Wifi.

I pay $65 for unlimited calling in canada, unlimited texting and 6GB LTE internet.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Hey NetMapel. You're Taiwanese right?
What's your favorite Taiwanese restaurant in the GVR?

Mine is Sunway 三味食堂 in Richmond: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/1477...r/Richmond-Central/Sunway-Restaurant-Richmond

I found out about this place a few months ago and it's probably my favorite restaurant now. Their food reminds me of the night markets in Taipei. Highly recommend it!

I especially like their:
- Milk Tea with pudding
- Mayo Deep-fried Pork Egg Roll
- Taiwanese Deep-friend Pork
- Special Deep-fried Tofu
- Popcorn Chicken Noodle Soup (I've tried this dish at dozens of Taiwanese places and this is the best I've found)
- Taiwanese Deep-fried BBQ Pork on Rice

Sounds delicious I'm going to have to go check that out later :) Some good places I know are:

- Chef Hung Taiwanese Beef Noodle in Aberdeen Centre (they got delicious beef noodle)
- Dinesty (they got really good dumplings and buns)
- Boiling Point (STINKEY TOFU HOT POT !!!)

I pay $65 for unlimited calling in canada, unlimited texting and 6GB LTE internet.
I pay $29 a month for unlimited local calling, unlimited text, and unlimited data. It's not LTE mind you, but it's more than adequate for Facebook, Mobile GAF and Google Maps. Yeah, their network isn't as good as the big 3's, but you get what you pay for and currently I'm pretty happy with it. No contracts either so if they piss me off then I'm out.

Tabris

I pay $29 a month for unlimited local calling, unlimited text, and unlimited data. It's not LTE mind you, but it's more than adequate for Facebook, Mobile GAF and Google Maps. Yeah, their network isn't as good as the big 3's, but you get what you pay for and currently I'm pretty happy with it. No contracts either so if they piss me off then I'm out.

You are essentially the same as the person on AOL dial-up saying it's great because he pays $10 bucks a month.

Prez

Do you REALLY want to know this before getting enough motivation up so the answer won't devastate you?

If you come to terms with not living in downtown, you're looking at 700/800+ cheapest, probably. If you just rent a room at a place, you're looking at 500ish. Remember, that's NOT downtown, but within 45mins transit.

How does Toronto compare to this?

I'm thinking about moving to Vancouver or Toronto in a few years. I'll be an audiologist by then. Audiologists are almost guaranteed to find a job anywhere and I speak fluent English and French, which is also an advantage.

Top Bottom