• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Firestorm

East Van whattuppp

Although downtown is my preferred location for when I move out. Hopefully I find a job soon so I can (If any of your companies are hiring...) I asked my parents how much our home cost when we bought it (95ish) and it was only $285k or something @_@

FyreWulff

East Van whattuppp

Although downtown is my preferred location for when I move out. Hopefully I find a job soon so I can (If any of your companies are hiring...) I asked my parents how much our home cost when we bought it (95ish) and it was only $285k or something @_@

I'd almost want to say who I work for is hiring, but NDA'd and I'm still waiting on them to send the payment so I can actually get back to Vancouver. I'm stuck in Nebraska until then.

Vancouver's housing prices are insaaane

Tabris

Downtown Vancouver haters? What? Drunken hooligan antics? What? The only places downtown with drunken hooligan antics is Gastown, Chinatown and Granville.

In my opinion, the area that's going to soon be the best part of downtown Vancouver is crosstown. When the viaducts are torn down and the beach, park & rec centre go in at False Creek, I'll be laughing at my place.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I like the Couve. Sounds really groove.

carygrant.gif

beat

Only acceptable answers:

YVR, GVR, Vancity, Vancouver, Best City in the World.

Vancity would be fine if the credit union wasn't called that.

And YVR is unacceptable IMO because I hate it when people refer to a city by its major airport. (Pass for Calgary/YYC, because if you find yourself in Calgary, you'll probably want to head to the airport too.)

TommyT

Another thing that I thought was interesting - Someone was mentioning the city will be the model green city either next year or soon after, and I found that cool as the juxtaposition of the town compared to all the big towns here (in TX). The city growing upwards instead of growing outwards.

Sort of to that point, the way things flow downtown is simply amazing. I made the remark that if this were downtown Dallas there would be wrecks happening in front of us, bike riders would be getting honked at and taken out, things would be clogged, etc. Very impressed by how things are there. Also, we the whole blinking green until someone presses the button... well done! I don't think that would ever work down here, but I do like it's purpose and effect.

random edited surprises:
- price/sq ft... WOW
- average wedding prices... WOW
- lack of overweight people
- Alberta is the Texas of Canada I was told
- quite a few jokes about French Candians
- quite a few jokes / stereotypes about particular races
- the "L" and "N" for new drivers!
- places taking USD
- paying with debit, people always bring out little machines... VERY seldom is that seen here.

I'm gonna call it the Couve just to mess with people now. You never know, it might catch on. This city is full of hipsters.

I said that to the people I was staying with and they thought it was pretty catchy. So if it catches on with the hipsters I will be their king. Oh, and clearly the 'e' at the end makes it.

FyreWulff

I didn't understand the blinking greens at first, and I still don't see the point. We have intersections like that back home, and they uh, just stay steady green until someone wants to cross.

The verticality is something else though. Like going to the EB games on Cambie then going to Winners, which is over the top of it, then down the street is a Canadian Tire that sits on top of a Save On, and then I go to No Frills and it has it's parking lot on it's roof.. the city is very vertical and space-concious. Meanwhile, back home, every business has like a half block worth of parking lot to itself, and only the super mega store in the region has multiple floors.

The verticality is something else though. Like going to the EB games on Cambie then going to Winners, which is over the top of it, then down the street is a Canadian Tire that sits on top of a Save On, and then I go to No Frills and it has it's parking lot on it's roof.. the city is very vertical and space-concious. Meanwhile, back home, every business has like a half block worth of parking lot to itself, and only the super mega store in the region has multiple floors.

That's because Omaha is the land of sprawl and strip malls. Vancouver doesn't have that luxury due to the mountains and the water, so they've had to build upward. We're starting to run into that problem in Seattle. My nearest Best Buy has a two-story Target on top of it.

FyreWulff

That's because Omaha is the land of sprawl and strip malls. Vancouver doesn't have that luxury due to the mountains and the water, so they've had to build upward. We're starting to run into that problem in Seattle. My nearest Best Buy has a two-story Target on top of it.

Yeah, I forsee a land crunch in the not too far future. I wanted to actually start a business once in a certain part of town (it needed to be there to work) and literally all the land is spoken for. Only big open spots are outside the city limits.

Parking lots on top of the store itself (or below it like a garage) just seems like it'd make sense in the first place. You can make your store bigger to store more items at once while serving the same amount of car traffic.

Hey You

I didn't understand the blinking greens at first, and I still don't see the point. We have intersections like that back home, and they uh, just stay steady green until someone wants to cross.

You mean the ones to turn left?

If we didn't have them, we might only get 1 or 2 cars through per light change.

FyreWulff

Separate green arrows for left turns that activate for about 15 seconds before the normal greens.

The blinking green-normal lights afiak in Vancouver are to indicate intersections where a pedestrian can potentially trigger a red so they can cross, or the other direction just has stop signs. In our case here, they just stay steady green until someone hits the button to cross, and go to flashing yellows very late at night.

TommyT

I was told this:

When a light turns green it blinks. It will never not be green so long as it's blinking. When it stops blinking, that means someone has pushed the button at the intersection indicating they want to cross. The light will remain green and not blinking for a certain period of time. After, it will turn yellow then red.

To me, this encourages traffic to flow/behave a certain way. This also affects how people, pedestrians specifically, route themselves to where they need to go. Makes the area flow much better and seems to, from my limited time there, keep things moving quite nicely (which I think is also important since there there is no highway to help traffic flow easily).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yo Vancouverites, I'm breezing in for a holiday next month, and looking for any geeky stuff to do/visit that comes recommended? Missus used to live there so I'm getting the tour of everything else but WHAT ABOUT MY AMUSEMENT, EH? I would assume all your arcades are mostly dead like here though.

GG-Duo

I'm gonna call it the Couve just to mess with people now. You never know, it might catch on. This city is full of hipsters.

Honestly, we don't really have that many hipsters. Toronto's Queen street west is full of hipsters. Our main street or commercial is just like... young people on bikes.

The one at Northgate? What up Neighbor!

I'm in Greenlake, but yep, that's the one I'm talking about.

Yo Vancouverites, I'm breezing in for a holiday next month, and looking for any geeky stuff to do/visit that comes recommended? Missus used to live there so I'm getting the tour of everything else but WHAT ABOUT MY AMUSEMENT, EH? I would assume all your arcades are mostly dead like here though.

Hell, they even closed the Book Off downtown. Broke my heart when I found that out.

Firestorm

CHQ located inside Metrotown mall always has people.
I'm in Greenlake, but yep, that's the one I'm talking about.
Haha, I knew which one you were talking about and live in Vancouver.

robox

besides chq, there's espot in richmond, where you can try wii-u killer app Tank! Tank! Tank! also has lots of pool tables, populated by asian people

if you're around for halloween, you could check out playland's fright nights.

Hey I went to the Vancouver Aquarium last night for an adults only night, and got to watch "The Great Salmon Run" in 4D! It was fucking awesome! Highly recommended. There are tons of cool things to see there. They even had different varieties of jellyfish to see....they were so amazing to see up close in a clear tank......mesmerising. The only shitty thing is that I thought they wouldn't want people to bring cameras, so I didn't, but I could have! Fuuuuuuu! Next time for sure.

Top Bottom