• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Firestorm

Oh, and for another geeky thing kinda. Remember to go out for dinner or something at EXP Bar which seems to have been the topic that jumpstarted this thread from the dead.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh, and for another geeky thing kinda. Remember to go out for dinner or something at EXP Bar which seems to have been the topic that jumpstarted this thread from the dead.

Yeah I've wanted to go there, but it's kind of a bummer that they didn't get the licence to play videogames... ANTI-FUN CITY. I'll probably go to check it out anyway because the concept/kickstarter is pretty cool, but meh.

beat

The verticality is something else though. Like going to the EB games on Cambie then going to Winners, which is over the top of it, then down the street is a Canadian Tire that sits on top of a Save On, and then I go to No Frills and it has it's parking lot on it's roof.. the city is very vertical and space-concious. Meanwhile, back home, every business has like a half block worth of parking lot to itself, and only the super mega store in the region has multiple floors.
Vancouver isn't even really that vertical compared to Tokyo or Shanghai... Shanghai has more than a few smallish but 10 story malls, Tokyo's shopping districts routinely have 8 floors of stores in buildings, and I don't mean a store with 8 floors, I mean a building with 8 floors of individual businesses in 'em.

But yeah, what distantmantra said. You'll see a similar sort of geographic constraint in San Francisco (another peninsula city), New York (or at least Manhattan), and to a lesser extent Seattle.

Also, speaking of putting parking lots on the roof, one of the Save-Ons (I think the one in Metrotown) had its parking lot roof partially collapse the week it first opened, if memory serves. This was maybe 20 years ago by this point. Anyways, that probably explains why if businesses can avoid doing it, they probably will for cost and safety reasons.

Cheerilee

Also, speaking of putting parking lots on the roof, one of the Save-Ons (I think the one in Metrotown) had its parking lot roof partially collapse the week it first opened, if memory serves. This was maybe 20 years ago by this point. Anyways, that probably explains why if businesses can avoid doing it, they probably will for cost and safety reasons.

The Save-On collapse was engineering incompetence. The support beams were supposed to be thick enough to easily hold up the weight load of the roof, and the heaviest combination of cars possible, and more snow than history said was possible, all without breaking a sweat. But the beams they used were straining under the weight of the roof by itself. They had no chance of supporting a couple of cars. Given enough time, that roof would've come down even without cars and snow.

Nothing really wrong with putting cars on the roof, assuming your structure can handle the weight. You just have to do regular maintenance to prevent cracks and leaking, which you would have to do regardless of parking.

The Superstore on Marine has a warehouse underneath most of their "ground level" parking lot, and they've had some issues with cracks and leaks, but every now and then they just put up a fence blocking off a section of parking, cover it with tarp, break out the jackhammers and do some work.

The current trend in modern rooftops is to plant trees in them. That seems way more risky than flat concrete with cars if you ask me.

The new Ikea in Richmond has ground level parking with the store above, as if it were built on stilts. Visually unappealing, if you ask me. But it'll probably be useful if Richmond ever sinks into the sea because of the big earthquake.

beat

The Save-On collapse was engineering incompetence. The support beams were supposed to be thick enough to easily hold up the weight load of the roof, and the heaviest combination of cars possible, and more snow than history said was possible, all without breaking a sweat. But the beams they used were straining under the weight of the roof by itself. They had no chance of supporting a couple of cars. Given enough time, that roof would've come down even without cars and snow.
Wow. So, did anyone go to jail for that? Or at least fired and drummed out of the field?

Terrell

Wow. So, did anyone go to jail for that? Or at least fired and drummed out of the field?

They're construction workers, dude, OF COURSE NOT.

Now, to catch up on the rest of the thread...

They only opened for about five minutes in Gastown.

Go to Columbia SkyTrain station to find their main location.

You could also checkout Press Start on 12th st while you're in new west.

I literally live 2 blocks from Press Start. Nice enough store, but you sure wouldn't know it from outside.

My roommate pointed out to me, and it makes total sense: nobody hangs out in Vancouver. You have 'activity partners'/'activity friends' where you go and do something together, then go your separate ways back home at the end of the night.

It's not like back home where people will just go over to each other's house and hang out and do stuff.

It takes a HUGE amount of time to come to terms with that. I'm a prairie boy (the good sane boring prairie of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan; not the crazy-ass prairie of Alberta) and even after living here for 5 years, it's still tough to realize that it's impossible to keep someone's attention or interest. Part of the problem is that those who are used to more social hangout environments give up on waiting for others to get the hint. Instead, they go out and fill their lives with stuff to do until making friends with people becomes the afterthought. No finer example of the snake that eats its own tail.

I had a housewarming party when we moved into this place in New West.... no one showed up, despite a month advance notice. Needless to say, had a lot fewer friends that day. And then I'd go out and meet more people who do the same damn thing repeatedly... it gets tiring, when it comes to new waves of friends, I've had more "cycles" than Top Model.

Housing is expensive, so most people live in a shoebox that can't accommodate large crowds. Everyone is spread out, late-night transit is unreliable, and driving is difficult (carbon tax and mediocre infrastructure), so people don't hang out late because they have to travel a hour or more to get home.

Couple that with people more interested in their smartphones and headphones and you get a isolated culture.

That being said, I don't think Vancouver is any worse than other big cities. The recent census shows that more people are living alone, not getting married, having fewer kids at an older age, working longer, etc. It's all part of a gradual societal shift.

No, it's definitely worse here than elsewhere.

Unless "late" includes 9pm on a Saturday night, I can attest that time of day is irrelevant, you can barely get people to see you when the sun is up.
Late-night transit is reliable as long as you're not catching multiple buses in sequence. If the SkyTrain is the "long way", TAKE IT, it runs til 12:30 for a reason.
And if you think OUR population is spread out too wide, why is this not as big of a problem (or as universally publicized) for people in MUCH larger cities as it is here?

The worst of it, though? People who are guilty for perpetuating this anti-social behavior are the same people I see bitch about it on Facebook.

It's time for excuses and finger-pointing to be done... Metro Vancouver is the way it is because the majority of people here can't commit to ANYTHING and obviously prefer it that way if nothing has changed or expect everyone else to solve a problem they've helped to create.

.... sorry about being a Debbie Downer.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The worst of it, though? People who are guilty for perpetuating this anti-social behavior are the same people I see bitch about it on Facebook.

olivia-gif-5.gif

No truer words have been spoken ITT. For around 2 years me and my best pal here would organize things to do almost every weekend with our group of mutual friends. One night though, over some beers we decided to stop for a bit to see if others had the initiative to do it as well (it was kind of tiring to be the only ones pushing the rest all the time).

I think that was the end of our "gang" as we knew it: no more camping trips, hikes, or random get togethers at UBC. Today, we still meet up occasionally for birthdays and whatnot. But my friend started dating a girl more seriously and I picked up the guitar, gaming, joined a student club, etc. to distract myself.

I'm sorry Vancouver, you have a beautiful beautiful city, but the second I finish my undergrad I'll get the hell outta here to go back to South America.

I may come back when I retire though.

They're construction workers, dude, OF COURSE NOT.

Now, to catch up on the rest of the thread...

I literally live 2 blocks from Press Start. Nice enough store, but you sure wouldn't know it from outside.

It takes a HUGE amount of time to come to terms with that. I'm a prairie boy (the good sane boring prairie of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan; not the crazy-ass prairie of Alberta) and even after living here for 5 years, it's still tough to realize that it's impossible to keep someone's attention or interest. Part of the problem is that those who are used to more social hangout environments give up on waiting for others to get the hint. Instead, they go out and fill their lives with stuff to do until making friends with people becomes the afterthought. No finer example of the snake that eats its own tail.

I had a housewarming party when we moved into this place in New West.... no one showed up, despite a month advance notice. Needless to say, had a lot fewer friends that day. And then I'd go out and meet more people who do the same damn thing repeatedly... it gets tiring, when it comes to new waves of friends, I've had more "cycles" than Top Model.

No, it's definitely worse here than elsewhere.

Unless "late" includes 9pm on a Saturday night, I can attest that time of day is irrelevant, you can barely get people to see you when the sun is up.
Late-night transit is reliable as long as you're not catching multiple buses in sequence. If the SkyTrain is the "long way", TAKE IT, it runs til 12:30 for a reason.
And if you think OUR population is spread out too wide, why is this not as big of a problem (or as universally publicized) for people in MUCH larger cities as it is here?

It's time for excuses and finger-pointing to be done... Metro Vancouver is the way it is because the majority of people here can't commit to ANYTHING and obviously prefer it that way if nothing has changed or expect everyone else to solve a problem they've helped to create.

.... sorry about being a Debbie Downer.
Truth... truth.

No truer words have been spoken ITT. For around 2 years me and my best pal here would organize things to do almost every weekend with our group of mutual friends. One night though, over some beers we decided to stop for a bit to see if others had the initiative to do it as well (it was kind of tiring to be the only ones pushing the rest all the time).

I think that was the end of our "gang" as we knew it: no more camping trips, hikes, or random get togethers at UBC. Today, we still meet up occasionally for birthdays and whatnot. But my friend started dating a girl more seriously and I picked up the guitar, gaming, joined a student club, etc. to distract myself.

I'm sorry Vancouver, you have a beautiful beautiful city, but the second I finish my undergrad I'll get the hell outta here to go back to South America.

I may come back when I retire though.

So you go to UBC also? Which year/faculty?

This thread is just like Facebook: we're complaining about the lack of commitment/initiative yet there's been talk (and no action) of a GAF meetup at EXP Bar.

So what's everyone doing this Friday night?

Firestorm

This thread is just like Facebook: we're complaining about the lack of commitment/initiative yet there's been talk (and no action) of a GAF meetup at EXP Bar.

So what's everyone doing this Friday night?
Busy. Also I asked if weekday evenings work for people and nobody answered.

Firestorm

Let's hammer out a date before we decide on a location.

What days are you all free this weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun)?
Busy Friday. Free Saturday and Sunday atm but the this is the only weekend that is true for.

Also, Exp Bar should be fine. The only person who talked against it doesn't even live here. It'll be a good place for a first-time NeoGAF meetup considering what this site is about.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Friday's bad for me, Saturday is only slightly better. Still, if ppl wanna hang out we could invite the guys from the Canadian deals and tsilon.ca threads.

Friday is good. Saturday I'm going to my cousin's baby shower in Abbotsford, so I'm not sure how long it takes to get back to "the Couve"

This weekend is likely too short of a notice, and the next weekend is Thanksgiving, so let's aim for October, 12, 13, or 14th.

Just copy/paste this template:

Lone_Prodigy
Friday Oct 12
Saturday Oct 13

(Remove the day(s) you can't make it.)

I will cross post this to the Canadian/tsilon threads.

Firestorm

This weekend is likely too short of a notice, and the next weekend is Thanksgiving, so let's aim for October, 12, 13, or 14th.

Just copy/paste this template:

Lone_Prodigy
Friday Oct 12
Saturday Oct 13

(Remove the day(s) you can't make it.)

I will cross post this to the Canadian/tsilon threads.
Nooooooo! I might be out of the country for the Autumn Pokemon Regionals that weekend :( Can't we do a weekday evening? Unless you folks wanna stay out super late.

Just pick a day and i will do my best to make it out. Especially if i'm in downtown due to work so i can head straight to whereever on the old loser cruiser

Akim

Banned
So, my dad is coming to visit me Saturday and I have about 3 hours to show him something nice in Vancouver before the Sounders game starts. Where do I go? Preferably somewhere near a skytrain.

CTE

So, my dad is coming to visit me Saturday and I have about 3 hours to show him something nice in Vancouver before the Sounders game starts. Where do I go? Preferably somewhere near a skytrain.

Amsterdam Cafe, but be sure to hit up the "blackdoor" across the street beforehand ;)

Seriously, though. Has he been to the city before? That would have a bearing on what to recommend. I'd say take him to Memphis Blues and get the Elvis platter and some beers. Take the leftovers to the game. Ohhh yeah!

Akim

Banned
Amsterdam Cafe, but be sure to hit up the "blackdoor" across the street beforehand ;)

Seriously, though. Has he been to the city before? That would have a bearing on what to recommend. I'd say take him to Memphis Blues and get the Elvis platter and some beers. Take the leftovers to the game. Ohhh yeah!

He's never been to Canada, our family is from the Seattle area.

CTE

Ok then. Science World. Stanley Park for a walk. Go to Granville Island. Museum at UBC. Brewery tour. Gastown. Those are all interesting for first timers. Take the seabus to the Quay, too.

edit - Oh yeah. The Aquarium. Seattle has one, but Vancouver's is much better IMO.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Ok then. Science World. Stanley Park for a walk. Go to Granville Island. Museum at UBC. Brewery tour. Gastown. Those are all interesting for first timers. Take the seabus to the Quay, too.

edit - Oh yeah. The Aquarium. Seattle has one, but Vancouver's is much better IMO.

The ones on bold are my picks.

Science World is kind of small (haven't been there in years though so maybe it's bigger and better). Stanley Park is nice but not really transit-accessible. Same with Granville Island. UBC and the Quay are too far for 3 hours.

I guess that leaves the brewery and Gastown? I suggest if you're taking transit, take the Canada Line from the airport all the way to Waterfront, then walk around Canada Place (see the Olympic Torch, etc.) to Gastown, grab a quick bite, and then walk to the stadium.

beat

A Seattleite who's never been to Canada??? =/

I dunno, as much as I like Granville Island, it's a lot like Pike Place Market but with way less history. Still fun, and certainly the individual vendors are different because there are relatively few chain stores or restaurants.

Top Bottom