• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Ra\/en

Just spent a week with family and friends in Vancouver for Christmas and New Years. I miss the place quite a bit.

Terrell

Can you afford anything even in New West or Surrey at $200k? That isn't a gross crack den.

I found a few browsing the internet. One of them is right near a retirement home off of Queen's Park (Blackberry Drive, I think), so crack den it ain't. Not exactly my cup of tea, either.

I found a perfect one on Manchester in Lougheed, but it was a 1 bedroom for $150,000. Same layout with a 2-bedroom and it would be perfect.

silvon

I was so close to buying an apartment in Richmond last year. Some things I learned during my condo hunting:
1. Be wary of leaky condos.
2. Many condos have bylaw restrictions: some do not allow pets, rentals, or restrict the number of units that can be rented. It's best to ask your realtor about any restrictions if you have pets or intend to rent out the unit.
3. Note that besides mortgage, you'll also need to take into account strata fees and property tax. Every listing usually mentions how much they are.
4. Once you find a unit, always hire a licensed home inspector to inspect the unit and the building for any defects.

Good luck!

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I bought my place last year. It's in Yaletown.
I was a little apprehensive because the prices are so insane, but it does feel nice to own your own place.

In addition to the high purchase price, you'll also have to consider:
- Property transfer tax: 1% on the first $200k, 2% on anything after $200k (e.g. tax on a $500k place would come out to $8000). This tax is waived if you're a first time home-buyer... but only if your place is less than $450k. Good luck finding a nice place in downtown Vancouver for less than $450k. Retarded.
- Annual property taxes
- Strata fees: most first time home buyers won't be buying houses so you'll have to pay maintenance fees for your complex
- Insurance
- Legal fees at the time of the purchase (~$800-$1000)

I'm not too concerned about the "market crashing". Vancouver, especially downtown, is ALWAYS going to be a beautiful and desirable place to live.

master15

While not buying, I am finally moving into a larger place downtown. After a few weeks searching, while remaining in West End I found a nice spacious 1 bedroom apartment on Haro Street, which I am really happy about. Going to miss being so close to the beach, but I trade that for some convience being so close to Robson Street.

On unrelated note, I think it's been mentioned a few times but I love Meat & Bread. If you haven't check it out, always have great food when I'm there.

While not buying, I am finally moving into a larger place downtown. After a few weeks searching, while remaining in West End I found a nice spacious 1 bedroom apartment on Haro Street, which I am really happy about. Going to miss being so close to the beach, but I trade that for some convience being so close to Robson Street.

I used to live on Haro. Great building near the Blenz. Sure enough the day I moved out rent went up $250...

Terrell

I used to live on Haro. Great building near the Blenz. Sure enough the day I moved out rent went up $250...

I'm sure you already knew this, but you were aware that they jack up the rent EVERY time you move out of a place, right? If you had been living there a while, that'd be just a few years worth of "market increase".

Diagol

I'm going to Vancouver next week with some friends! We got tickets for the Lady Gaga concert! :D

I love Van. I want to move there some day. Everyone I've ever encountered in Van has been amazing (and it's a much gay-friendlier place than Calgary).

Cheerilee

I'm sure you already knew this, but you were aware that they jack up the rent EVERY time you move out of a place, right? If you had been living there a while, that'd be just a few years worth of "market increase".

Yep. There's a legal cap on how much a landlord can increase your rent per-year, and in Vancouver, the prices have apparently been climbing faster than that limit. It essentially means that the longer you've been living somewhere, the better of a deal you're getting, and (unless your relationship with the landlord is good to the point where they're willing to give you a deal just to keep you) the more likely it is that the landlord is going to try and kick you out.

There's no law saying that the new tenant gets to pay what the previous one did.

FyreWulff

Yep. There's a legal cap on how much a landlord can increase your rent per-year, and in Vancouver, the prices have apparently been climbing faster than that limit. It essentially means that the longer you've been living somewhere, the better of a deal you're getting, and (unless your relationship with the landlord is good to the point where they're willing to give you a deal just to keep you) the more likely it is that the landlord is going to try and kick you out.

There's no law saying that the new tenant gets to pay what the previous one did.

My old landlord back in Omaha loved doing that. His trick was to entice people to move into a different apartment in the same building at higher rent (because he had just 'renovated' it) and then raise the rent on the unit they moved out of by 150$.

He kept doing this until the average price to rent an apartment in the building went from 450$ to 600$ over the course of 2 years.

Yeah, I knew it. When you're legally set at 3.x percent rent increase per year and the cost of property in Vancouver has gone up at least three fold it was pretty clear what was going to happen. But it still sucks, because as Cheerilee says, you build up a lot of value by not moving out. If I could get work in Vancouver I would need to earn significantly more now just to make up that difference.

Tiktaalik

In the worst case you have highly suspicious renovictions, where folks are evicted for a largely unnecessary renovation for the sole purpose of subsequently raising the rents. Originally common on the gentrified edges of the DTES but now also occurring in the West End where there there is a significant seniors population that have lived in the same large rental units for a very long time.

As an aside, I just googled "renoviction" and the entries in urban dictionary and wikitionary cite Vancouver and it seems to be a wholly locally used term, and not just in slang either, as it's also cited in local newspaper articles.

Roto13

In the worst case you have highly suspicious renovictions, where folks are evicted for a largely unnecessary renovation for the sole purpose of subsequently raising the rents. Originally common on the gentrified edges of the DTES but now also occurring in the West End where there there is a significant seniors population that have lived in the same large rental units for a very long time.

As an aside, I just googled "renoviction" and the entries in urban dictionary and wikitionary cite Vancouver and it seems to be a wholly locally used term, and not just in slang either, as it's also cited in local newspaper articles.

I kind of want to create a new type of plague that only affects Vancouver landlords.

Cheerilee

I kind of want to create a new type of plague that only affects Vancouver landlords.

Depends on the landlord. I generally encourage people to do no-cost things to try and improve their relationships with their landlords, like smile and say hello when you bump into them in the local grocery store. Little things like that can go a long way. Treating people like people tends to create a win-win situation.

But there are landlords who are 100% immune to kindness. Especially if they're detached, like they have a management company, or worse, they're foreign investors. If the landlord is fully detached, the only thing they will respond to is money. They won't care if their mugshot is posted on the 6 o'clock news, so long as the bad press doesn't hurt them financially.

If your landlord lives in the same apartment building as you and they're grumpy and unapproachable and they tend to treat people like crap, it probably just comes from bad experiences, and you can sometimes overcome that just by being a nice person, to everybody's benefit (yourself, the landlord, and even the other tenants).

Terrell

Oh, no worries, there's already one in the works... the Cascadia earthquake. Whenever that sucker hits, housing AND rental rates will sink like a stone, as people move elsewhere rather than wanting to live in ground zero while the city repairs and rebuilds. It'll turn all of them to poverty overnight.

Oh, no worries, there's already one in the works... the Cascadia earthquake. Whenever that sucker hits, housing AND rental rates will sink like a stone, as people move elsewhere rather than wanting to live in ground zero while the city repairs and rebuilds. It'll turn all of them to poverty overnight.

Uh...

Terrell

As long as the earthquake doesn't kill you, you can find work in the rest of the country. A landlord does not have this issue and is doubly damned because his income is tied irrevocably to the ground the buildings stand on.

As much as I love it here, the population will decrease after an earthquake not from the death toll but the diaspora of people who leave and may never ever return. For the housing and rental market, they could never recover to the levels they were once able to achieve and the ship would need to be righted to, I dunno, SANE property values and rent levels again.

As long as the earthquake doesn't kill you, you can find work in the rest of the country. A landlord does not have this issue and is doubly damned because his income is tied irrevocably to the ground the buildings stand on.

As much as I love it here, the population will decrease after an earthquake not from the death toll but the diaspora of people who leave and may never ever return. For the housing and rental market, they could never recover to the levels they were once able to achieve and the ship would need to be righted to, I dunno, SANE property values and rent levels again.

Uh...

master15

Wanted to throw in a brunch recommendation. Went to Forage yesterday and had nice meal. Doesn't quite compare to lofty standards set by O’Douls in my humble opinion but having walked by the art-gallery and Listel hotel on way home many times, it’s nice interior for a good bite.

My facebook has been flooded with the Waldorf news all day.

http://scoutmagazine.ca/2013/01/09/the-waldorf-hotel-has-closed-after-just-3-years-sold-to-a-real-estate-company/

I'm not too surprised, to be honest. Given the size of that place they would probably have had to fill up every night of the week to cover operating costs and rent, and I've gone there with friends mid week and the place was a ghost town (more so than most bars mid week in this city). Sucks for the scene, but probably should have seen it coming.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
My facebook has been flooded with the Waldorf news all day.

http://scoutmagazine.ca/2013/01/09/the-waldorf-hotel-has-closed-after-just-3-years-sold-to-a-real-estate-company/

I'm not too surprised, to be honest. Given the size of that place they would probably have had to fill up every night of the week to cover operating costs and rent, and I've gone there with friends mid week and the place was a ghost town (more so than most bars mid week in this city). Sucks for the scene, but probably should have seen it coming.

I've been there... twice, for New Year's and for a concert... Liked the venue, it'll be missed :/ I thought for sure the building would be under protection or sth, since it's prety old/iconic, but what do I know

Can anybody recommend a good place to get a hair cut? Preferably with stylists that listen to what you want or can work with medium length hair?

I just had two different people try to scam me while I was looking for places to live. I'd give anything right now to punch either one of those guys in the Dick...

MutFox

Banned
Can anybody recommend a good place to get a hair cut? Preferably with stylists that listen to what you want or can work with medium length hair?

Depends, not sure if you're far from North Van.
If you're close by, call Abraham at 604-988-5821

He's old and he's pricey,
but gives a great haircut...

He's in the Edgemont Village area.

Depends, not sure if you're far from North Van.
If you're close by, call Abraham at 604-988-5821

He's old and he's pricey,
but gives a great haircut...

He's in the Edgemont Village area.
I live in North Burnaby and I transit so I'm probably not gonna go to North Van for a haircut. Thanks anyways.

mr stroke

Vancouver GAF- Is Vancouver a good place to vacation?

We have never been, and my wife wants to go there for a week in April. We love cities(New York, LA, San Fran, etc..) bars, good food, night clubs, shopping, and out doorsy stuff, so it looks like a cool place to visit, but I never hear of people vacationing in Vancouver. Good place to spend a week, and enough stuff to do with out getting bored?

buhdeh

We have never been, and my wife wants to go there for a week in April. We love cities(New York, LA, San Fran, etc..) bars, good food, night clubs, shopping, and out doorsy stuff, so it looks like a cool place to visit, but I never hear of people vacationing in Vancouver. Good place to spend a week, and enough stuff to do with out getting bored?

There's probably enough to do for a week but it's cloudy/rainy for pretty much 9 or 10 months of the year so there is a very small windows to come here and enjoy sunny weather.

Firestorm

Yes! I'd really say June or July would be better as the chance for rain ruining your time is much lower, but it's a nice place to vacation.

Scam you how exactly? There's quite a few variations to how they could go about doing that.

1: I LIVE OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY SO I TRUST YOU
2: SEND ME THE DEPOSIT AND FIRST MONTHS RENT THEN I'LL SEND YOU THE KEYS
3: Me: I'm not going to do anything of the sort until I have a key in my hand or someone let's me in to take a look around.
4: I'M NOT IN IT FOR THE MONEY BLAHBLAH.

It's fucking pathetic, they have a little script that they use, so it is really obvious when you start asking questions and they won't answer it. If you can't answer something as simple as "is wifi included" you're not trying very hard to scam me. The one guy actually said something like "I trust you because of my faith in God and your faith also" good thing I don't believe in god.

mr stroke

Yes! I'd really say June or July would be better as the chance for rain ruining your time is much lower, but it's a nice place to vacation.

Love the wet weather so rain is not an issue just hoping for some Skiing in early April, Is there any Skiing in April?

Anybody know any good sites and resources for renting places? I'm planning on having a place with my gf next year. I'd be trying to go to UBC everyday and living on a student budget, but my gf would contribute.

snack

Hey Vancouver-GAF, anyone know the best package forwarder that would ship items from the States to Vancouver for a great price? Right now I wanna get shoes from this site but they don't ship to Canada...

Oh man, this thread wasn't a good idea to read the day before I travel to your crazy city.

I am going to land in Vancouver for the very first time in my life tomorrow night. I've been living in Southern Ontario all my life, and in Toronto (GTA) for the last five years.

I start work the next morning, I found a place but wont be able to move in until the first of the month. So I need to find accommodations for the next five days.

Anyone can recommend me a descent Hotel, Motel in a safe area of town that isn't too far from Gastown, or easily accessible through Sky-train or Bus, I would appreciate it. I don't really want to spend more than 50 bucks a night. Thanks

Smiley90

Oh man, this thread wasn't a good idea to read the day before I travel to your crazy city.

I am going to land in Vancouver for the very first time in my life tomorrow night. I've been living in Southern Ontario all my life, and in Toronto (GTA) for the last five years.

I start work the next morning, I found a place but wont be able to move in until the first of the month. So I need to find accommodations for the next five days.

Anyone can recommend me a descent Hotel, Motel in a safe area of town that isn't too far from Gastown, or easily accessible through Sky-train or Bus, I would appreciate it. I don't really want to spend more than 50 bucks a night. Thanks

There's always the Hostelling Inteernational Hostel, there's 2 on Granville (well, one on Davie and one on Granville) that are downtown and thus very accessible, and one on Jericho.

http://www.hihostels.ca/1096/Search.hostel?q=Vancouver

They're definitely nice hostels, Shared dorm rooms are <40 bucks. Private are 70, it seems.

Firestorm

This is within walking distance of Joyce Station and in a decent neighbourhood: http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details...lse&reviewOrder=date_newest_first#description

Getting there from the Airport will be a bit of a pain as it's not on the Canada Line though. It requires a transfer. Where in Gastown will you be working? With this you'd want to take the train from Joyce to Waterfront and then walk. Check out the reviews though. Seems only okay...

Hey Vancouver-GAF, anyone know the best package forwarder that would ship items from the States to Vancouver for a great price? Right now I wanna get shoes from this site but they don't ship to Canada...
If you've got a vehicle, this is the one all my friends seem to use: http://www.thelettercarrier.com/

Just ship it there and go pick it up.

Most of us Canada-GAFfers who just want it sent straight to our homes use goomba's service: http://gamesforcanada.com

Gila

I don't know of any package forwarders that ship from States to us but regarding your post in the gaming deals - I use Hagens of Blaine. So far Amazon and eBay ship there but Best Buy doesn't. Testing it out with other online retailers but the former two are the ones I mainly use.

$12 annual fee (one time payment) and $2.50/package received. It's literally right off the border

Ra\/en

Month late, but I disagree. I think July-August is the best time to visit. June can be miserable and cloudy and rainy.

robox

points roberts has 3 places that i know of, and have used:
www.thelettercarrier.com/ popular and i've been in lineups to get stuff from them. people have also complained that they're a bit disorganized and have things out in the open

tsb shipping quieter, they bring your package out. downside is they don't open on saturdays.

point 2 point look to be newer the kid and has the pros of both

point roberts is nice if you live in vancouver/richmond/delta side. if you're by surrey, then blaine (and the peace arch) may be closer/faster. but if you can't be arsed to cross the border, then games for canada may be your ticket. i've mostly used those depots for big stuff, like car parts.

snack

I don't know of any package forwarders that ship from States to us but regarding your post in the gaming deals - I use Hagens of Blaine. So far Amazon and eBay ship there but Best Buy doesn't. Testing it out with other online retailers but the former two are the ones I mainly use.

$12 annual fee (one time payment) and $2.50/package received. It's literally right off the border

points roberts has 3 places that i know of, and have used:
www.thelettercarrier.com/ popular and i've been in lineups to get stuff from them. people have also complained that they're a bit disorganized and have things out in the open

tsb shipping quieter, they bring your package out. downside is they don't open on saturdays.

point 2 point look to be newer the kid and has the pros of both

point roberts is nice if you live in vancouver/richmond/delta side. if you're by surrey, then blaine (and the peace arch) may be closer/faster. but if you can't be arsed to cross the border, then games for canada may be your ticket. i've mostly used those depots for big stuff, like car parts.

Cool. Thanks guys! I decided to go with Kinek Point, it's in Blaine, Washington. Probably gonna go shopping at the outlets when I pick up my parcel too. Pretty pumped to snag some deals!

Tabris

Man being on the East Coast for 3 months on and off just made me love Vancouver even more. It's so cold out there and the snow shuts down everything.

I welcome the Vancouver rain! It makes me feel like a Scottish Highlander.

Tabris

Depends on industry of course, but from my perspective, there's a lot of job opportunities. The main issue with Vancouver though is disparity between income and cost.

You want to come to Vancouver Quick and become a Canucks fan? :)

Smiley90

Depends on industry of course, but from my perspective, there's a lot of job opportunities. The main issue with Vancouver though is disparity between income and cost.

You want to come to Vancouver Quick and become a Canucks fan? :)

It's easy to be a Leafs fan in Vancouver :lol But yeah, there's definitely a lot of job opportunities I'd say. More so than housing opportunities. It's probably easier to find a job than a nicely priced, good apartment.

Top Bottom