• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
You're going to scare Smiley away from the meetup. =\

Okay London it is. Guess I'll make a thread?

Do iiiiiiit. update the attending list, then cross-post the list into every thread that might have Vancouverites. :lol

And I'm coming. I'll just watch my glass at all times.

Smiley90

Why would you anyway?

Because... uh...... uh....... I dunno.

I've been to Surrey once in my 4.5 years here, honestly. And that was because I took the wrong bridge while on my way from Coquitlam to Richmond.

MutFox

Banned
Hmmm... Are the creep levels gonna get higher in real life?
If so, I don't think I wanna come...

Don't wanna get stabbed by some weird surrey person...

Smiley90

Hmmm... Are the creep levels gonna get higher in real life?
If so, I don't think I wanna come...

Don't wanna get stabbed by some weird surrey person...

EVEN higher? No way. I'll just... Stick to people I know on GAF already.

So definitely not emperor. He's the reason people aren't gonna show up!

Sorry to just butt in on "Surrey sucks, no it doesn't" talk...

Oh Lord.... come to think of it, maybe this isn't even the best place to ask you guys but...

let's just do a one eighty from Surrey and head North to West and North Van.

So does anyone know a good place for lunch/ dinner with a mountainous (commanding) view in North or West Van? I kinda want to get a bit away from the city and more towards the ocean/mountains, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Also, anyone have any special plans for SuperBowl Sunday? Are we all cheering for the "local" Seahawks over here?

Smiley90

Sorry to just butt in on "Surrey sucks, no it doesn't" talk...

Oh Lord.... come to think of it, maybe this isn't even the best place to ask you guys but...

let's just do a one eighty from Surrey and head North to West and North Van.

So does anyone know a good place for lunch/ dinner with a mountainous (commanding) view in North or West Van? I kinda want to get a bit away from the city and more towards the ocean/mountains, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Also, anyone have any special plans for SuperBowl Sunday? Are we all cheering for the "local" Seahawks over here?

well, you can always eat up on Grouse Mountain. They have a restaurant.

and yes, everyone here is at least a temporary Seahawks fan. I'm not into football that much, but I'm hanging out with a few friends for the game at home.

well, you can always eat up on Grouse Mountain. They have a restaurant.

and yes, everyone here is at least a temporary Seahawks fan. I'm not into football that much, but I'm hanging out with a few friends for the game at home.

Hey that sounds good, does that mean we gotta park below and take a lift up?

Thanks for the suggestion Smiley, yeah I may just have a friend or two over for the Superbowl. Or maybe want to go to a bar downtown, what's a good (sports) bar for it?

Smiley90

Hey that sounds good, does that mean we gotta park below and take a lift up?

Thanks for the suggestion Smiley, yeah I may just have a friend or two over for the Superbowl. Or maybe want to go to a bar downtown, what's a good (sports) bar for it?

I'm pretty sure most bars are gonna show it. Sadly I don't know any specific football-bars, but I'm sure it'll be on. Try Malone's, maybe?

And yes, that's how it works. The gondola is pretty expensive (like... 50 bucks for the roundtrip), I'm not sure if you get some kind of rebate if you eat dinner, I've never done it.

I was thinking of Malone's too, it's my casual go to bar, I kind of fear the crowd being too rowdy during Superbowl though, we'll see...

And wow 50 bucks for the gondola sounds pretty damn pricey, I have to see what they'll give us back (cost) after we have dinner there, otherwise forget it. Again thanks for the suggestions.

I don't think you did.

Burnaby
Harbor Centre
Woodwards
Segal
Morris J Wosk

That's 5, even.

I'm an SFU student and I didn't even know there were that many campuses LOL.

I've only ever been to Burnaby campus though. And I'm happy about that because I live in Burnaby and I take one 15 minute bus ride to get to school. That means I get to roll out of bed even slower than usual :p

Smiley90

I'm an SFU student and I didn't even know there were that many campuses LOL.

I've only ever been to Burnaby campus though. And I'm happy about that because I live in Burnaby and I take one 15 minute bus ride to get to school. That means I get to roll out of bed even slower than usual :p

I've been to... uh... Segal once. Not for a class, but for an orientation. I've been to Harbour centre a few times, but never for class, just to walk in and hang out. Rest of the time I'm up the hill, too. I am one of the few people that actually LIKE our campus. It's sooooooo pretty when it's sunny and you can look north over the inlet to the mountains.

and when there's snow. I love snow so much.

I've been to... uh... Segal once. Not for a class, but for an orientation. I've been to Harbour centre a few times, but never for class, just to walk in and hang out. Rest of the time I'm up the hill, too. I am one of the few people that actually LIKE our campus. It's sooooooo pretty when it's sunny and you can look north over the inlet to the mountains.

and when there's snow. I love snow so much.
I love our campus too! Especially when it's sunny! And our track is so amazing to run on.

I think I've been to Harbor Centre once (not for class, but just to check it out and go to the David's Tea nearby)

Smiley90

Rob Ford was at the Dew yesterday and got ticketed for jaywalking&public intoxication.

I LIVE NEXT TO THE DEW

HOW DID I MISS THIS

FUCK

beat

I don't think you did.

Burnaby
Harbor Centre
Woodwards
Segal
Morris J Wosk

That's 5, even.

A long time ago, I took a painting course in SFU's fine arts department held off-campus, in some warehouse/factory space SFU was renting in Vancouver, a few blocks northeast of Main and Hastings. Does that count? Also, I wonder if they still use that space.

Exr

Can't make it tomorrow but hope you guys have fun, try to take a pic or something to prove this happened once.

Akim

Banned
Does anyone use YouMail/Google Voice or any other free voicemail service with Wind? I can't get YouMail to work at all.

Hey guys,

The third edition of 'Infinite Laughter' is tomorrow night at 8:00! What's Infinite Laughter? It's the bi-monthly video game themed standup comedy show that I host at EXP Bar!

Come check it out- there are some great local comics on the show, including Ivan Decker and Kyle Bottom, doing video game and other geek-themed material. For those that don't know, EXP is a video game-themed bar at 309 West Pender.

Bonus GAF connection: GAF member Nether!, who I believe was at the recent Vancouver GAF meetup will also be doing a set. He's a friend of mine and a funny dude, so come check us out and mention GAF! One of the comics is also a programmer for Capcom Vancouver, so I'll be sure to bug him about the 13 gig Dead Rising 3 patch.

Cover is $ 10, and that gets split between the performers. I'd love to see some GAF folk there, so please come check it out. I can pretty much guarantee a fun time!

Smiley90

Pretty cool map of visible minorities in Vancouver:

Minorities_14Feb14x.jpg

From here: http://healthycitymaps.blogspot.ca/2014/02/VisibleMajorities.html

Do any of you fellow Couvers know a really good, clean place to get a tattoo? Adrenaline seems to be the one I keep hearing about, but I wanna gather a few more opinions before making a final decision o___o

I

And yes, that's how it works. The gondola is pretty expensive (like... 50 bucks for the roundtrip), I'm not sure if you get some kind of rebate if you eat dinner, I've never done it.

I proposed to my fiance on grouse mountain. If you book a reservation with the restaurant they give you a free ride up and down. That's for the really expensive restaurant though. I dropped like 150 on a meal at the expensive one. There is a cheaper bar underneath but I don't think they give you free lifts to that.

Sora_N

Anyone going to FanExpo on Saturday April 19 but didn't buy tickets yet?

I was going to go but kind of had an emergency in terms of money so I'd like to get rid of my tickets rather than going. Have two tickets. I would probably just take the hit on the handling fee so $70 for both rather than $78. Or I'll take an offer.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Is there some issue with Chinese immigrants? I was just held and questioned at YVR security and they went through all my bags, prescription medicines, and disorderly conduct charges from six years ago, making me go over it in detail. I had to give them an oral history of all my prior jobs and employment, education, previous trips to Canada, etc. I'm not very culturally 'Chinese' although ethnically I am. My mom was born in Chicago and so was I and I don't speak any Chinese. I don't culturally identify, but that's a different story. Anyway I noticed every single person in the holding room was Chinese only speaking. What's the deal? They smuggling stuff?

gugi40

I live a few blocks away from metrotown.

If you want a headache, go inside the mall. If you want your car to have dings in it, drive around the mall. If you want to die, make faces at the people smoking outside the McD's at the mall.

You can have it all in one place!

EDIT: Surrey does suck, every time I was there something shitty was happening (gun shots, young mothers smoking beside their children, cars getting stolen, ect) Doesn't help that 3 of my ex's live there.... Barf.

Sora_N

I live a few blocks away from metrotown.

If you want a headache, go inside the mall. If you want your car to have dings in it, drive around the mall. If you want to die, make faces at the people smoking outside the McD's at the mall.

You can have it all in one place!

EDIT: Surrey does suck, every time I was there something shitty was happening (gun shots, young mothers smoking beside their children, cars getting stolen, ect) Doesn't help that 3 of my ex's live there.... Barf.

Metro area sucks yep

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Hey I'm thinking of traveling down to the city tomorrow and take a break from icy or slushy spring skiing in Blackcomb. What's good? What's good in Vancouver-age on Tuesday night-age?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Rise from the dead VancouverGAF. Anyone going to this? Does this mean time for a meetup afterwards?

Top Bottom