• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Lmao at there being barely any hype for the Canucks this year

Fuck that shitty team

I'm super hyped about this team this year ! Youth movement and right moves from top to bottom in the organization as far as we can tell right now. Let's hope it yields some positive result this year. If not, we can only scream "save us McDavid !"

Firestorm

So when I moved here, I heard some things about Hastings Street. Is it really as bad as they say?
Depends on the area. It's just a few blocks that are bad. My office is just on the edge between it being okay and kinda dumpy. Stay away from a few blocks of Hastings and Main as far as hanging around for too long. It's perfectly safe though. Just wouldn't wanna live there.

Sinistral

Hey VancouverGAF! I got a job in Vancouver I'll be starting in December, and I'll be moving in the 2nd half of November. I've started Apartment hunting with Craigslist and, while there are some decent places I don't think my chances with an online approach are high. As the only response I got was from a scammer advertising a required full month damage deposit for a dubiously cheap apartment in Yaletown ($740), who just happens to be a contractor working in London, UK.

I'm currently in Edmonton but originally from Winnipeg. Escaping the -40 winters will be a brand new experience for me. And the thought of being able to commute to work on bike in the winter months is exciting. Anyone have tips for that? heard it can get quite rainy.

Anyway, in terms of Apartment hunting... I definitely want to have my own place, as I have/am doing the room mate thing here in Edmonton and it's not for me. Had my own place in Winnipeg. Seeing as I'm losing faith in finding something online for when I move, I noticed that I may have to try one of the few places that accommodate temporary stays. Days to Weeks.

Any tips or suggestions in general to this newbie?

Thanks.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hey VancouverGAF! I got a job in Vancouver I'll be starting in December, and I'll be moving in the 2nd half of November. I've started Apartment hunting with Craigslist and, while there are some decent places I don't think my chances with an online approach are high. As the only response I got was from a scammer advertising a required full month damage deposit for a dubiously cheap apartment in Yaletown ($740), who just happens to be a contractor working in London, UK.

I'm currently in Edmonton but originally from Winnipeg. Escaping the -40 winters will be a brand new experience for me. And the thought of being able to commute to work on bike in the winter months is exciting. Anyone have tips for that? heard it can get quite rainy.

Anyway, in terms of Apartment hunting... I definitely want to have my own place, as I have/am doing the room mate thing here in Edmonton and it's not for me. Had my own place in Winnipeg. Seeing as I'm losing faith in finding something online for when I move, I noticed that I may have to try one of the few places that accommodate temporary stays. Days to Weeks.

Any tips or suggestions in general to this newbie?

Thanks.

Unless you're willing to pay 1500+ for your own place downtown, just look for a place near any skytrain (metro) stop. You'll get downtown in anywhere between 15-45minutes problem free, and it'll be MUCH cheaper. e.g. look for the Commercial-Broadway area or otherwise and you should easily be able to find a place <1k. Downtown is SERIOUSLY overpriced.

Sinistral

Unless you're willing to pay 1500+ for your own place downtown, just look for a place near any skytrain (metro) stop. You'll get downtown in anywhere between 15-45minutes problem free, and it'll be MUCH cheaper. e.g. look for the Commercial-Broadway area or otherwise and you should easily be able to find a place <1k. Downtown is SERIOUSLY overpriced.

Oh most definitely. I've been looking and there are some surprisingly nice locales. $700-$900 all inclusive places that are in my price range and commute range. My problem being that they have not responded to my emails.

Thanks!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh most definitely. I've been looking and there are some surprisingly nice locales. $700-$900 all inclusive places that are in my price range and commute range. My problem being that they have not responded to my emails.

Thanks!

You'll find a place that responds eventually. Keep in mind that the housing situation isn't exactly optimal and there'll be quite a few applicants for postings and some might have already been filled and the people just haven't bothered taking the posting down yet. Good luck!

Exr

You guys have been to that EXP bar yeah? Do they have fighting games there? Some friends want to go and I'd love to booze and play some Street Fighter or something

NetMapel

Uber potentially getting ready to return to Vancouver ? Taxi companies here are panicking:

Metro Vancouver cabbies warned to 'think twice' before signing up for Uber

Lower Mainland cab drivers hoping to sign up for ride-sharing service Uber are being warned by their bosses to “think twice”, fess-up or face getting fired.

North Shore Taxi has asked its drivers and owner-operators to sign a declaration indicating whether they plan to sign up for Uber, a service which connects private car owners with passengers via a smartphone app.

Read more at the link.

Cheerilee

Anybody know of fun things to do in Vancouver during Halloween?

I've had some fun recently going to Burkeville, near the airport.

There's a guy there who does an impressive job of turning his backyard/garage into a homemade haunted house attraction (basically you line up and take a winding tour through family-friendly spookiness). It's open already, and it's free, but if you go on Halloween night, there's also a park within walking distance where the fire department puts on a free, safe fireworks show. If you enjoy them, donations to both are appreciated but not required.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Uber potentially getting ready to return to Vancouver ? Taxi companies here are panicking

I welcome with open arms our new Uberlords. Every time I visit home, they have a system similar to Uber in Chile where the closest taxi to my location arrives within 5 minutes of being requested. I know exactly when it is outside waiting for me and the app lists the car model, license plate, etc. No calling anyone, no shortage of taxis, no bullshit. Vancouver Taxi companies can go fuck themselves with a cactus, if they're not even capable of having a steady influx of taxis on weekend nights in the downtown area at its busiest then they are beyond salvation.

Firestorm

It cost me $25 for a 10 minute ride from the airport to my house because the plane landed 10 minutes after the last train of the night (Thanks for the delays United). Bring me Uber.

NetMapel

Uber fight continues:

B.C. to use undercover inspectors to target unlicensed Uber drivers

The B.C. government will dispatch undercover inspectors to fine Uber drivers if the ride-sharing service launches without proper licences, says the transportation minister.

Todd Stone said Monday he has directed extra enforcement officers to be on the ready if Uber launches in Vancouver - as has been rumoured - without obtaining proper approvals and licensing that regulates the rest of the taxi industry.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/underco...ber+drivers/10349459/story.html#ixzz3I2khEoV1

hey so i received and accepted a job offer today for a job in vancouver. i'll be there on the 2-3rd, coming from the states. i have a handful of questions:

-anything i should know when i get there? i've never been to canada before but since i'll be there for a while i figure i'd ask for some advice
-any suggestions on places to live? i'm not too familiar with the vancouver area just yet but where i'll be working is at E 7th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5T 1M6, looks like a pretty happenin part of town, i'll be looking into it in the next few days.
-foood, what kinda foods are must haves from the get go? a good bar suggestion would be nice too!

trifelife

-anything i should know when i get there? i've never been to canada before but since i'll be there for a while i figure i'd ask for some advice
-any suggestions on places to live? i'm not too familiar with the vancouver area just yet but where i'll be working is at E 7th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5T 1M6, looks like a pretty happenin part of town, i'll be looking into it in the next few days.
-foood, what kinda foods are must haves from the get go? a good bar suggestion would be nice too!

What's your budget for rent? Roommates? What kind of things do you like to do in your neighborhood? Is walkability important or will you drive?

Honestly the hood you're working in, Mt. Pleasant, is the best in the city proper. Really close to downtown, great public transit down Broadway going east and west. Lots of good coffee, some ok shopping. I lived there for three years and a one bedroom in a pretty decrepit building was $900/month in 2009.

What's your budget for rent? Roommates? What kind of things do you like to do in your neighborhood? Is walkability important or will you drive?

Honestly the hood you're working in, Mt. Pleasant, is the best in the city proper. Really close to downtown, great public transit down Broadway going east and west. Lots of good coffee, some ok shopping. I lived there for three years and a one bedroom in a pretty decrepit building was $900/month in 2009.

You should move closer to downtown

Main and Hastings is the popping place to be nowadays

yeah i'm down for roomies, i'm probably gonna be rooming with some coworkers (a lot of people where i'll be at are friends from college). as for what i like to do, love to have places to eat and nice places to have drinks. walkable and public transportation are cool since i'm leaving my car here in the states. i think i'll be cool with the housing situation since i'm staying with friends. but yeah that part of the city looks pretty nice.

beat

hey so i received and accepted a job offer today for a job in vancouver. i'll be there on the 2-3rd, coming from the states. i have a handful of questions:

- You should probably be able to use your US credit history when applying for a Canadian credit card. I know I was able to get Bank of America to consider my Canadian credit history when I first moved to the States, so presumably it'd work the other way too.

- There's decent Chinese food everywhere, but some places are really good. Try to go to those. The Vancouver Magazine dining guide (they put one out every year) isn't a bad introduction to dining in the city.

- It rains a lot, rarely pouring, but just continuous light rain for days or weeks. You can go a long time between seeing the sun in fall, winter, and spring. I don't consider this that much a negative cause I'm from Vancouver and I was raised in it, but people from elsewhere seem to think it's a bad thing.

- some people will tell you "real Vancouverites don't use umbrellas". This is idiotic. Feel free to have an umbrella.

- You should probably be able to use your US credit history when applying for a Canadian credit card. I know I was able to get Bank of America to consider my Canadian credit history when I first moved to the States, so presumably it'd work the other way too.

- There's decent Chinese food everywhere, but some places are really good. Try to go to those. The Vancouver Magazine dining guide (they put one out every year) isn't a bad introduction to dining in the city.

- It rains a lot, rarely pouring, but just continuous light rain for days or weeks. You can go a long time between seeing the sun in fall, winter, and spring. I don't consider this that much a negative cause I'm from Vancouver and I was raised in it, but people from elsewhere seem to think it's a bad thing.

- some people will tell you "real Vancouverites don't use umbrellas". This is idiotic. Feel free to have an umbrella.

cool, so i'll get an umbrella. i'm coming from florida so random rain is nothing new to me. i'm also looking into which bank ill be using, i've been looking at RBC, are they good?

another thing i've been looking at is for my cell phone. kinda sucks since i just upgraded to an iPhone 6 with AT&T over here, but since i'll be over there i'm thinking about just finding a carrier to get a cheap prepaid phone to hold me over for a while. granted, once i start working i'll be able to afford the ETF no problem and pay off my phone so i can unlock it while up north and possibly using it with a carrier there, but yeah these are the things i've been thinking about lately.

trifelife

cool, so i'll get an umbrella. i'm coming from florida so random rain is nothing new to me. i'm also looking into which bank ill be using, i've been looking at RBC, are they good?

another thing i've been looking at is for my cell phone. kinda sucks since i just upgraded to an iPhone 6 with AT&T over here, but since i'll be over there i'm thinking about just finding a carrier to get a cheap prepaid phone to hold me over for a while. granted, once i start working i'll be able to afford the ETF no problem and pay off my phone so i can unlock it while up north and possibly using it with a carrier there, but yeah these are the things i've been thinking about lately.

Vancouverites don't use umbrellas ^_~ jackets with hoods FTW

As far as banks go, I highly recommend Vancity. They're a credit union with excellent customer service doing a lot of good community work. They'll set you up.

A few prepaid options:
http://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility/prepaid/plans/?INTCMP=Beta_PrepaidLanding_HeroCTA_SeePlans
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cell-phone-rates
http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/prepaid-talktext-plans.html?province=ON&geoResult=failed

Cheerilee

Vancouverites don't use umbrellas ^_~ jackets with hoods FTW

There's a certain kind of rain where you just let it fall on your face and you don't care, then there's the kind of rain where you wear your Canucks ballcap (which should also be worn on windy or sunny days), then there's the days where you flip your hood up, and then there's the days when you really do need an umbrella.

For the umbrella, I suggest Ikea. They're big and cheap, and the yellow and blue colors chase the grey away.

You should also get some weatherproof boots. Your feet will get wet even with a big jacket and an umbrella, and spending several hours with wet feet is really miserable, and can make you sick. I don't think you really need rubber gumboots, unless you happen to want them. If you wanna jump in puddles, I won't tell you not to. But I've found that hiking boots do a great job of staving off the cold and rain, while also being nice enough to wear indoors if you happen to need to.

You should move closer to downtown

Main and Hastings is the popping place to be nowadays

arrow66xs3n.gif

alright, locked in my ticket (arriving on the 1st of January), so i'll be there pretty soon. leaving on the first since airfare was cheap and if i moved it to either a day before or a day after, it'd almost double, so i locked in at a pretty good price.

locked in my place as well (lucked out and moving in with some co-workers who i used to work with in Los Angeles, so i know they're good people). i believe it's in the kitsilano part of town, not too familiar with it, but the rent and amenities and shops close by aren't bad at all. all my paperwork's done, just need to gather it all up, pack my bags and i'll be in there like swimwear.

i'll see you on the first day of the new year, Vancouver.

beat

Indigo says it will open another location in the "same Vancouver trade area" this year, though an exact location has not been revealed.
Maybe Nordstrom will lease half a floor to Chapters?

Say goodbye to Chapters downtown.
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/01/chapters-books-robson-vancouver-closing/

Man, I had some good times window shopping there or just loitering around waiting for my movies at Scotia. Gonna miss it.

People like you are the reason they're closing. :p

Their Richmond location closed recently too. Bookstores in general are struggling with online prices always cheaper. Indigo's website infrastructure is pretty good but if they keep closing stores their free-ship-to-store is going to be more difficult.

Also their refusal to match their own online prices is pretty bad.

Top Bottom