• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Firestorm

Yeah maybe I'd buy from them if they actually matched even their own prices -_-

Is it just me or is Uniqlo ALWAYS the rumour when for what will replace a closing store on Robson?

beat

Yeah maybe I'd buy from them if they actually matched even their own prices -_-

Is it just me or is Uniqlo ALWAYS the rumour when for what will replace a closing store on Robson?

I thought Uniqlo was already gonna take a floor in Nordstroms, right across the street from that Chapters.

And there's an update to the Chapters story anyways:
UPDATE: Business in Vancouver reporter Glen Korstrom confirms that FGL Sports has leased Chapters’ Robson Street space. FGL operates such brands as Sport Check, Atmosphere, Sports Experts and others. Although Mr. Korstrom couldn’t confirm which FGL brand(s) will occupy the Robson Street space, we’re told that the Sport Check and Atmosphere will vacate nearby Pacific Centre for an expansion of the mall’s flagship Holt Renfrew.

... I could see the Sport Chek space being the new Chapters.

Dazzler

The bigger crime is still the fact the only place you can buy video games DT is Future Shop and their selection is pretty iffy

Apparently Sport Chek will move in, and their Pacific Centre location will be closed to make way for the Holt Renfrew expansion.

Yeah no EB downtown sucks, and Staples doesn't sell games anymore.

Anything going on in Vancouver on Valentine's day?

I know a bunch of people who are going to Dallas Smith at the Commodore on Valentine's. I didn't get tickets tho, so.. I'm not really sure what to do LOL!

I'll probably just eat a bunch of horrible food with my other single friends :p

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing very exciting over here. I almost went for a run at Stanley Park but I noped last minute. Went for a swim instead.

Harusame

To much rain...

Other than that, I would like your guys' opinion on the proposed transit tax. I would like to be convinced other wise to vote yes, but since I live in the Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge area, the propositions do not greatly benefit us here.

Cheerilee

To much rain...

Other than that, I would like your guys' opinion on the proposed transit tax. I would like to be convinced other wise to vote yes, but since I live in the Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge area, the propositions do not greatly benefit us here.

Government: There are too many people paying taxes in this town. Raise the PST from 7% to 7.5%, or we're going to fuck the roads. (Note: There's no guarantee that we can fix the roads with just 0.5%, but there is a guarantee that the roads are going to be fucked if you don't give it to us.)

Citizens: Isn't "road maintenance" one of your basic jobs? What happened to the rest of the 7%? What about the gas tax? Or the dozen other hidden taxes that have been claimed to be used for roads?

Government: Listen, government corruption is an issue for another day. Do you want your roads or not?

Me: Fuck the roads.

I'm still salty because my local bus stop used to have a warm, dry, wooden bench/shelter, and Translink ripped it out and tossed it in the dump, replacing it with "modern" aluminum and plexiglass, which is uncomfortable to sit on and offers no shelter from the wind and rain and cold (it tries, but it fails spectacularly), and Translink went millions overbudget installing them and demanded that taxpayers pay for the difference, and their justification for it was "But we had some money left in our budget at the end of the year. We had to spend it on something, otherwise we'd have to give it back. How were we to know that we'd run overbudget and need to demand even more money?"

beat

I'm still salty because my local bus stop used to have a warm, dry, wooden bench/shelter, and Translink ripped it out and tossed it in the dump, replacing it with "modern" aluminum and plexiglass, which is uncomfortable to sit on and offers no shelter from the wind and rain and cold (it tries, but it fails spectacularly), and Translink went millions overbudget installing them and demanded that taxpayers pay for the difference, and their justification for it was "But we had some money left in our budget at the end of the year. We had to spend it on something, otherwise we'd have to give it back. How were we to know that we'd run overbudget and need to demand even more money?"
They went overbudget? I thought JCDecaux or Viacom ponied up for those things.

Cheerilee

They went overbudget? I thought JCDecaux or Viacom ponied up for those things.

IIRC, they went overbudget. Those advertising panels were a retrofit, added later. I doubt the advertising money would have paid for Translink's mistake (because that mistake was history), it probably just added to Translink's bloat for next year.

Sora_N

Anyone have suggestions on places to go that are free/cheap for Valentines Day?

May just take my gf to Queen Elizabeth Park since it looks like it won't be raining that day.

Just need to kill a few hours before dinner lol.

I know someone who is in the process of getting funding for a new venture and is looking for talented people.

Pm me if you or anyone you know is interested in joining a start-up animation studio

lupin23rd

Odd question, but anyone know of any clothing or book donation bins down in the west end?

The White Spot on Georgia close to Denman used to have both, but a few weeks ago I went to drop some books and only the clothing bin was left. A week after that, I went to drop off some old clothes, and the clothing bin was gone too.

Google seems to be pointing me to bins that don't exist...

srst

Odd question, but anyone know of any clothing or book donation bins down in the west end?

The White Spot on Georgia close to Denman used to have both, but a few weeks ago I went to drop some books and only the clothing bin was left. A week after that, I went to drop off some old clothes, and the clothing bin was gone too.

Google seems to be pointing me to bins that don't exist...

Try Denman and Pendrell St.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.2881...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1se-Q1K_NsMOqoBQFJVk6Dlg!2e0

I don't think it take books. Maybe the public library down the street does.

Driving up tomorrow from Seattle for a day trip. Brunch at Alibi Room, hit a couple breweries in town, take my daughter to Stanley Park to ride her bike and then Four Winds Brewing in Delta before coming home.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
this is VancouverGAF, it's never gonna happen

TABRIS YOU NUTSACK SHOW UP

Yeah you're right the game's at 4 to accommodate the Easterners.

We made it happen last year, and even bish showed up.

Probably need a thread about it though.

Firestorm

I've got a Pokemans tournament that day but if people are hanging around after the game for drinks and whatnot I might be able to join.

Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in getting involved with Pokemon card or video game tournaments: http://pokemonbc.com/events/

trifelife

TABRIS YOU NUTSACK SHOW UP

Could probably find his apartment using pics from the Gaming Setup thread ;)

Probably need a thread about it though.

Do it

if people are hanging around after the game for drinks and whatnot I might be able to join

Do it

What's in it for me?

Drugs

image.php

A Leaf's game?

Couldn't pay me all the riches in Nigeria cheer on that.

No no no, you cheer for the Leafs to fail spectacularly :mad:

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Could probably find his apartment using pics from the Gaming Setup thread ;)

Do it

Do it

Drugs

image.php

No no no, you cheer for the Leafs to fail spectacularly :mad:

I know where his apartment building is. Last time his excuse was that he lived too far away, while he ACTUALLY lived like a 5/10min walk away :lol

So I just got my internet bill and it's like 70 bucks (Shaw). I bought in during a $30 a month promo and that apparently ended and there was a price hike or something.

Any cheaper alternatives? It's way too much. And I thought Rogers was bad.

Firestorm

So I just got my internet bill and it's like 70 bucks (Shaw). I bought in during a $30 a month promo and that apparently ended and there was a price hike or something.

Any cheaper alternatives? It's way too much. And I thought Rogers was bad.
Telus. Who will also give you a promo. Their promos last long enough for you to be eligible for the new customer pricing on the competitor.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Vancouver GAFers, let's talk about the upcoming transit vote. I feel rather strongly about a hopeful yes win. It seems clear to me that our population has increased at a much faster rate than our transit can handle. We need more money in public transit like any other big cities in the world. How else are we going to move people to public transit if it is not funded properly ? Broadway line all the way to UBC would be a good start. Personally, I'd like to take this even further. We should use existing railroad to start a brand new WCE line that goes south from Vancouver to Surrey, Langley and then Abbotsford (4 or 5 stations). Then have good park & ride around those central stations. The urbanites are already using public transit and other means of non-car transportation. The only way to reduce it further should be to target the suburban areas that obviously have to come to downtown to work. The current buses and skytrains have served well in its targeted regions, but traveling from those further areas still take way too long with a combination of public transit usage that discourages people living there from using it. WCE-style transit will hopefully fix that. Anyways, just my two cents... :)

Cheerilee

I think most people support increased public transit, but people really don't trust Translink.

They fired their overpaid CEO to try and win back public trust, and hired an overpaid Interim CEO to replace him, but then they hired back their old CEO as an "adviser" to the Interim CEO, at his former pay rate. That's what we get when we complain, problems just get doubled. Oh and, they're going to hire their REAL new CEO after the referendum, after the heat dies down. They'd be legendary trolls if they hired their old CEO back after a referendum win.

They hired Jimmy Pattison to oversee their spending, because Vancouverites think highly of our local celebrity businessman's ability with money, but he can't look at all of Translink's books, just the new 0.5%. And if by some fluke he sees something he doesn't like in the second set of books which have been exclusively tailored for his eyes... he can go fuck himself? He's being hired for his name, and to "see", not "do".

Translink's severe unpopularity is likely to kill this referendum, so it's pretty obvious that they should shelve the idea of this new tax and work on serious reforms to turn Translink into an entity that can be trusted with money before asking again. Unfortunately, that probably just means they'll double their advertising budget and hire a new PR firm.

Firestorm

Do I support the tax increase to fund public transportation? Absolutely.
Do I trust Translink to use that effectively? Absolutely not.

Top Bottom