• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I don't get this huge distrust with Translink to be honest. They manage this huge public transportation system that covers metro Vancouver. Most people who uses it are probably quite happy with it that's why we keep breaking record of its usage every year. Of course things can be better such as the Compass system. However, this is about the future of our transportation here... These money will be needed sooner rather than later due to our explosive population growth.

There are 3 reasons why the "no" vote will win:

1. It's a tax. No one wants to pay more for anything.
2. It's Translink. Getting Pattison was a total PR move, "firing" their CEO was a PR move, and frankly they've never been popular with the public. Reduced bus service, Compass card, Skytrain breakdowns, executive raises, Transit Police, etc.
3. It's change. Change is bad, apathy/status quo is good.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
the compass card? You mean the Duke Nukem Forever of transit passes?

We should just bypass the whole Compass card now (well, maybe leave it for tourists) and go straight to NFC on smartphones/smartwatches. Asia has been doing this for how many years now ? Just take your phone out and scan to go through. Or take a look at Disneyworld where the "magic band" can be scanned for all kinds of shizzles there.

They really should abandon the Compass Card while they still can. My commute isn't super busy and it's still annoying how everyone is funneled through a handful of gates in opposite directions. Add tapping, processing time, and bugs for a recipe of disaster. Imagine if one gate locks up during rush hour?

NFC sounds better but the privacy watchdogs would have a field day with that one, along with those without a smart phone (low-income, seniors, etc.)

Firestorm

I don't get this huge distrust with Translink to be honest. They manage this huge public transportation system that covers metro Vancouver. Most people who uses it are probably quite happy with it that's why we keep breaking record of its usage every year. Of course things can be better such as the Compass system. However, this is about the future of our transportation here... These money will be needed sooner rather than later due to our explosive population growth.
I think it's more of how funds are used than the service in general (which no one will ever be happy with). Why are they asking us for more money to pay their executives ridiculous sums of cash? Why won't they show us how our money is being spent? I'm more than willing to pay a bit more in taxes for a stronger public transportation system once necessary but I want existing money to be used better first.

They really should abandon the Compass Card while they still can. My commute isn't super busy and it's still annoying how everyone is funneled through a handful of gates in opposite directions. Add tapping, processing time, and bugs for a recipe of disaster. Imagine if one gate locks up during rush hour?

NFC sounds better but the privacy watchdogs would have a field day with that one, along with those without a smart phone (low-income, seniors, etc.)
If London, Hong Kong, and other cities with much higher populations than ours can make a card work, I don't see why we can't.

beat

I think it's more of how funds are used than the service in general (which no one will ever be happy with). Why are they asking us for more money to pay their executives ridiculous sums of cash? Why won't they show us how our money is being spent? I'm more than willing to pay a bit more in taxes for a stronger public transportation system once necessary but I want existing money to be used better first.

If London, Hong Kong, and other cities with much higher populations than ours can make a card work, I don't see why we can't.
Someone pointed out that while Toronto's transit execs might be paid a bit less, there's so much transit system fragmentation in Toronto that cumulatively, the execs of all the systems are paid a lot more since there's so much duplication of roles.

And as for cards, I think HK is one of the great success stories of smart cards. Meanwhile, it took the SF Bay Area (speaking of fragmentation, sigh) approx 20 years between when their smart card was first proposed and when it actually rolled out.

Do those bigger cities have only a handful of fare gates at some Skytrain/Canada Line stations?

The small Canada Line platforms are going to suck in the future too. I get that it was cheaper to keep the platforms limited to two cars, but when the population increases (especially with all the new developments at the stations) it's going to be hard-pressed to continue with the two-car trains.

beat

The small Canada Line platforms are going to suck in the future too. I get that it was cheaper to keep the platforms limited to two cars, but when the population increases (especially with all the new developments at the stations) it's going to be hard-pressed to continue with the two-car trains.

I don't know how true this is, but anyways, I was concerned about this a couple of years ago, and I read that Translink thinks it can reduce headways (time between trains) even more if they really had to ramp up capacity on the Canada Line.

Do I support the tax increase to fund public transportation? Absolutely.
Do I trust Translink to use that effectively? Absolutely not.

I don't think Translink gets the money. It just goes into a fund and then the money goes to the projects that need it.

Vancouverites are whiners about projects. Remember all the upset over the Skytrain out to the airport? "Oh no the Cambie corridor is going to be a mess for a whole year!" Now can we imagine not having that line and bent able to go from waterfront to richmond in 40 minutes?

I'm voting yes on this thing. It'll cost me maybe 30 cents a day to have better transportation infrastructure throughout the GVRD. I don't even tske transit more than once a month and I still support it because it benefits the whole damn city.

robox

the way i see it:

the tokyo rail system is amazing
the hong kong metro system is amazing
the san francisco bay area transit system could be better but it's incredibly fragmented, complex and moving a large number of people over a huge area

the vancouver transit system is ok, but here is a chance for vancouver to improve its transit system, and i'm always in favour of that. the canada line got built despite a whole lotta complaints and now it's a critical part and approaching capacity (stupid tiny ass platforms). if the current system isn't up to par, then keeping the status quo while the region grows around it will only exacerbate the situation. translink, for better or worse, is the only entity you deal with. if it doesn't happen through translink, it's not happening at all.

Cheerilee

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-translink-raises-mayors-ire/article23533239/

The B.C. Transportation Minister’s declaration this week that he won’t reform the Vancouver-region transportation authority has complicated efforts to win voter approval for a new tax to pay for transit expansion, says a Vancouver-area mayor.

“I think it makes it a bit more difficult for us and we have to work harder,” North Vancouver Mayor Darrell Mussatto said Wednesday in an interview.

Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson also says TransLink reform is a necessity.

“As chair of the Mayors’ Council and a new member of the Translink board, I’ve been clear that I will be advocating strongly to the province for meaningful reform and improvements to governance,” he said.

On Wednesday, Mr. Stone’s office made it clear reforming TransLink governance is off the table – not just during the plebiscite voting period between March and May, but beyond that.

TransLink once had a board of elected officials, but in 2007 the province replaced them with an unelected board of directors. There is also a mayors’ council, but mayors have said they have little influence.

The campaign urging voters to oppose the proposed levy, dubbed the congestion improvement tax, said Mr. Stone’s comments are a gift to their campaign.

“When you’re being outspent by $7-million and had to deal with every rule skewed against a no vote, it’s hard to look at anything as a gift from the yes side,”

“But Mr. Stone’s comments do reinforce how out-of-touch our political leadership is when it comes to the public’s concerns about TransLink – and how we need to vote No to show them we’re serious about changing the wasteful culture there.

beat

The provincial government didn't have a referendum to fund or justify a dumb and very expensive Golden Ears bridge. Transit that would actually help the region out, though, that's a hard decision they're willing to foist off on shortsighted voters.

Anyone gonna be at Fan Expo this weekend? I'm gonna be there on Saturday dressed in a Tiger outfit and a Tupac Shakur mask. Feel free to say hi if ya notice me

Harusame

Anyone gonna be at Fan Expo this weekend? I'm gonna be there on Saturday dressed in a Tiger outfit and a Tupac Shakur mask. Feel free to say hi if ya notice me

I`m going as well with a couple of friends on Saturday. This is my first time going to fan expo, but I usually attend Anime conventions. Hopefully I won`t spend close to $800 on stuff unlike last year at Anime Revolution.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm going to Vancouver in a few weeks. Trying to decide on a hotel. Is it a good idea or bad idea to stay downtown? Seems like there are not that many roads going into downtown so traffic could be really bad? Am I better of staying south of downtown? Or perhaps Richmond, or would that be too far away from everything?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to Vancouver in a few weeks. Trying to decide on a hotel. Is it a good idea or bad idea to stay downtown? Seems like there are not that many roads going into downtown so traffic could be really bad? Am I better of staying south of downtown? Or perhaps Richmond, or would that be too far away from everything?
Don't stay in Richmond, it's too far. If you're coming from the US, our traffic will be a joke to you. From DT the only place I would avoid is Granville street because of the noise at night.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
okay, random question

Is AC necessary in Vancouver? I'm contemplating getting a car and I'm stomped

It doesn't really ever get hot enough here where the issue can't be solved with opening your windows, but I might just be underestimating it here

Richmond is 20/25mins by a single metro line from Downtown, so if that's okay with you and the hotel is significantly cheaper, go for it. Downtown is totally worth it though, there are cheap hotels/hostels there too AND you can literally walk everywhere you could possibly want.

Cheerilee

okay, random question

Is AC necessary in Vancouver? I'm contemplating getting a car and I'm stomped

It doesn't really ever get hot enough here where the issue can't be solved with opening your windows, but I might just be underestimating it here

From my experience, guys roll down the windows and that works just fine (if you have a black car, it can be uncomfortable until you exceed parking lot speed, but nothing too crazy, and that can be avoided by not buying a black car, or not parking in the direct sun), girls demand that the windows go up and the A/C gets turned on.

Do you expect to have girls in your car?

Tiktaalik

All of the stuff we've heard about Translink wasting money and being inefficient is basically outright lies from anti-transit, anti-tax groups. Translink launched a new website to try to get the real numbers out there. http://www.translink.ca/en/About-Us/The-Facts-Matter.aspx It shows that our CEO is the least paid compared to Toronto and Montreal.

Transit planner Jarett Walker wrote a good blog post about how Translink is a cost effective transit provider http://www.humantransit.org/2015/03/vancouver-yes-you-have-a-cost-effective-transit-agency.html

Another good data comparison site http://www.comparetranslink.ca/ which shows how we stack up against Seattle and SF.

A good rundown of the benefits for each region can be found http://www.bettertransit.info/get_the_facts

Everyone should vote Yes. Translink is great. We use transit for commuting more than anyone on the west coast (20% vs Calgary 16% and SF 15%) and by investing in transit Vancouver can build on that success, and will be a dramatically better place for everyone.

Smiley90

From my experience, guys roll down the windows and that works just fine (if you have a black car, it can be uncomfortable until you exceed parking lot speed, but nothing too crazy, and that can be avoided by not buying a black car, or not parking in the direct sun), girls demand that the windows go up and the A/C gets turned on.

Do you expect to have girls in your car?

They can walk if they don't like it

Firestorm

If you're splitting costs with a few other friends, just Priceline or Hotwire something downtown for ~$100 a night.

Skytrain will take you straight downtown as mentioned. Don't drive.

TheExodu5

Banned
We're going to be renting a car anyways since we want to visit Lynn Canyon Park and maybe a few other places on the outskirts.

I found a Holiday Inn on Broadway, which is just south of downtown. How is that area? I figure it would be a lot easier to drive to and from than downtown, and is still a stone throw away. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

TheExodu5

Banned
Actually, I think I'll be staying downtown. Looks like I can get a corporate room for $132 a night at Delta Hotels downtown through government job perks.

mYm|17|

Quick question here.

I am visiting Vancouver for the first time from Seattle this weekend.
Would you guys say it is better to take out money from the ATM when I get into Canada?...or something else.

Smiley90

Quick question here.

I am visiting Vancouver for the first time from Seattle this weekend.
Would you guys say it is better to take out money from the ATM when I get into Canada?...or something else.

I'm sure you can get CAD at any bank in Seattle? Otherwise literally 90% of places here also accept USD, so you'll probably be fine even without taking out any CAD. Not sure about your banking fees.

It can get pretty hot in the summer. Might as well get AC even if you rarely use it.

"might as well" is evil when it costs like 2k to add :p I'm not Tabris you know

Hey Smiley, if it actually costs that much, then maybe it's best to not get it, what kinda car your buying and for how much that it costs 2k for damn A/C?

Here's things you should consider though. it the summer it might be very hot but at the same time roads may be wet and it may be raining, so you may find yourself driving with windows up in a hot, wet summer day... I donno....

Smiley90

Hey Smiley, if it actually costs that much, then maybe it's best to not get it, what kinda car your buying and for how much that it costs 2k for damn A/C?

Here's things you should consider though. it the summer it might be very hot but at the same time roads may be wet and it may be raining, so you may find yourself driving with windows up in a hot, wet summer day... I donno....

Yeah it's not like it's a huge dealbreaker, but if I can save 2k then I'm saving 2k, ya know? ;) I'm planning to lease most likely, there's a couple pretty good deals out there. And I'm possibly leaving the province in a few years so I don't wanna be stuck with a car, and if I change my mind I can always buy it when the lease is up

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Me and my buds are planning a get together to celebrate the end of exams in about 2 weeks.

Anybody know any other pretty great pubs that aren't Steamworks but similar to it? Can't for the life of me think of any other place that fits the bill for some reason.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Me and my buds are planning a get together to celebrate the end of exams in about 2 weeks.

Anybody know any other pretty great pubs that aren't Steamworks but similar to it? Can't for the life of me think of any other place that fits the bill for some reason.

My go-to place for the last year or so has been the Morrissey in Granville. Just across from Two Parrots but waaaaaaay better.

mYm|17|

Had a blast in Vancouver this past weekend.

As soon as I checked into the hotel, I walked along the waterfront from my hotel on Dunsmuir all the way up to the entrance of Stanley Park. I was curious to see why there was so much traffic heading that way at 5pm and then I remembered they were shooting Deadpool on the Georgia Viaduct.

Wish the weather was better when I got there on friday, but saturday made up for it.
Can't wait to go back when it's not raining

Top Bottom