• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Firestorm

I did Pokemon Symphony in DC during the World Championships so not sure if I want to do it again =/ Didn't grab tickets to the Sony thing.

Not sure if any of you guys are planning on checking out Italian Day on Commercial Drive tomorrow, but I'll be singing there at about 5:00 near Grandview Park! :)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like July is game music month. Pokemon and Final Fantasy in one week? Sweet.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I was pissed I missed Distant Worlds last year. I'm so happy!

1. Set a date. Stick to it.
2. Pick a place. Stick to it.
3. Watch as everyone flakes out.
4. Go to Step 1.

Making a thread seems to work.

EDIT: Obviously I'm part of the problem as I'm not making a thread myself and deferring the task.

EDIT 2: Go back to around post #1200 of this thread where we discuss a meetup, pick a date, and then cancel.

EDIT 3: This is actually one big edit but multiple paragraphs for one edit seems weird.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97322633&postcount=1447 is where we start planning the meetup.

EDIT 4: This was the meetup thread: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=98803382

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I just remembered, when are the results from the transit referendum out? Anyone know?

Sora_N

Anyone know about sports cards?

I have some random hockey cards and stuff of mixed or crappy condition, is there some place that would give me cash for them or take them off my hands?

I got them as a kid and don't give a crap about hockey, wondering if I could give them away or make $5 before I throw them in the trash.

I think the only notable things are those 3D flexible McDonald's cards or those ones that say ICE or whatever.

Cheerilee

I just remembered, when are the results from the transit referendum out? Anyone know?

IIRC, there was a bit in the news where Elections BC said that there was zero attempt to speed the process up and start counting before the official close of the referendum, to ensure the absolute integrity of the system.

After Elections BC closed the door on voting, they began the process of opening the outermost envelopes (of the multi-envelope packaging they set up) and individually verifying the authenticity of each and every sealed ballot. After that's all done for everyone, another envelope gets opened to destroy your personal info. They're only going to start actually counting ballots after they've set up a complete pile of verified and anonymized ballots.

They're going to do this all slowly and methodically because they want zero mistakes, so until they say otherwise, shut up and wait. It'll take as long as it takes.

Cheerilee

Oh hey, I just figured I should mention a tip to try and keep your house cool in this heat (assuming you live in a house, and don't have A/C).

You know how the general idea during summer is to close all your windows and blinds during the daytime, and wall yourself off from the heat, then wait until the temperature drops outside and open up all your windows and let your house breathe until you go to sleep (and even then, maybe leave some windows open until sunrise)?

Well there is a slight improvement you can make to that plan. Your attic. Your attic gets crazy hot during the day, and at night it slowly dumps that stored heat down into your house while you sleep.

Once the temperature drops outside and you open up your windows to let the cool air in, open up your attic door. Yes, this is bad. The heat will come blasting in at you. But... grab a big fan and push the hot air back into the attic. Let the cool air come in from your windows while you vent your inside air up into the attic. The hot air in the attic will be pushed out through your roof vents. After a couple of hours, your crazy-hot attic should be room temperature, and it won't be heating you while you sleep.

Here's a random youtube video that has better visuals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhz78ukb0TY

Edit: Oh, I just noticed in the youtube comments, someone mentioned that fans which blow air sideways aren't designed to blow air straight upwards. It'll wear out the bearings. So don't build the flat spacer that the youtube guy built, build a triangle box, that way you can stand the fan upright, and it'll steer the air upwards.

sikkinixx

I'd support an increase in gas taxes or property taxes to fund better public transit lol

That's all they'll do anyway. The provincial government is going to use this as an excuse to push whatever makes them look best for the next election.

Now they can reorganize Translink anyway they want and people will be stoked. Shuffle money and taxes around to pay for the same stuff Translink said they want to do, like the Patullo replacement, while touting how much more accountable and transparent things are.

Cheerilee

I'd support an increase in gas taxes or property taxes to fund better public transit lol

Translink and the Mayors collect $7 billion in local taxes per-year.

Translink says that Transit is already broken, and will be double-broken if we don't give them a juicy new revenue stream totaling $250 million per-year (for now), which would partially go towards fixing Transit, and partially go towards fulfilling Gregor Robertson's campaign promises.

Next time you're filling up at the pump, remember that $0.22 per-litre already goes directly to Translink.

Harusame

Inevitable, but disappointing. I'm not surprised that Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows had a mean percentage that voted no was about 74.6%. Even if there was a majority of a yes vote, we would not see much improvement. Other than the WCE, it is quite a hassle to travel to downtown from Maple Ridge and back via transit.

When I went to Tinseltown to view the Sony E3 showing (which ended after 8 pm), I took the Skytrain from Tinseltown to Braid Station. I discovered that the 791 (Braid to Haney Place) had their last trip at 7:20 pm. I then had to proceed to take the 169 going to Coquitlam Center, then had to take the 701 going to Maple Ridge. When I got off at my stop by the Maple Meadows station, I realized I had to wait an additional 40 minutes for the community shuttle as they only run every 1 hour in the evening. I ended up just walking home...

Tabris

BC voters are the absolute worst and super short-sighted. This is why you don't let the general population vote on this. They vote on the representatives who make decisions because they are smarter (well ideally and hopefully) then the average voter.

HST vote was wrong, should have been the tax we still have. BC voters voted emotionally due to a poor implementation instead of understanding the true benefits of the tax and eventual cost savings.

Transit Referendum was wrong. Most No voters I spoke to went on some rant about Translink like this vote will change them at all. This vote was simply Christy Clarkson being a coward and distancing herself from the political stigma of tax increase which is needed.

So you voted No. Here is the result: Road congestion increases, Transit congestion increases, Translink continues operating as they have (they are not going away by this vote), and you save maybe $30 a month that may have been taxed? Was that the result you wanted?

This was not a vote on Translink, nothing will change with Translink status. It exists, deal with it or vote in a BC government willing to abolish it and absorb all transit (this won't happen).

Ugh, this makes me so mad. And not because it affects me (I don't need to commute downtown, I can just walk everywhere), but because it was the right thing to do.

BC voters are the absolute worst and super short-sighted. This is why you don't let the general population vote on this. They vote on the representatives who make decisions because they are smarter (well ideally and hopefully) then the average voter.

HST vote was wrong, should have been the tax we still have. BC voters voted emotionally due to a poor implementation instead of understanding the true benefits of the tax and eventual cost savings.

Transit Referendum was wrong. Most No voters I spoke to went on some rant about Translink like this vote will change them at all. This vote was simply Christy Clarkson being a coward and distancing herself from the political stigma of tax increase which is needed.

So you voted No. Here is the result: Road congestion increases, Transit congestion increases, Translink continues operating as they have (they are not going away by this vote), and you save maybe $30 a month that may have been taxed? Was that the result you wanted?

This was not a vote on Translink, nothing will change with Translink status. It exists, deal with it or vote in a BC government willing to abolish it and absorb all transit (this won't happen).

Ugh, this makes me so mad. And not because it affects me (I don't need to commute downtown, I can just walk everywhere), but because it was the right thing to do.

It's more that they have money but haven't been able to deliver well with it so people find it appalling they want more. Demonstrate you can have services run well and these taxes will be easier to sell. Stalls, late buses, full buses, etc. don't sit well with people. It is emotional but there is truth to it, you just have to take transit to notice the problems. Take the 604 bus from Scott Road to Ladner for example: only a handful of the buses are actually full during the day but they recently added 3 buses per hour during rush hour, most of them are empty. It was to alleviate capacity between 4pm and 5pm. Now there's 8 extra buses going that route during those hours for no reason.

Tabris

It's more that they have money but haven't been able to deliver well with it so people find it appalling they want more. Demonstrate you can have services run well and these taxes will be easier to sell. Stalls, late buses, full buses, etc. don't sit well with people. It is emotional but there is truth to it, you just have to take transit to notice the problems.

Yes, they aren't the most efficient organization and there's definitely problems there. I don't think anybody is disagreeing with that.

But what does the No vote change of that?

lupin23rd

Anyone know about sports cards?

I have some random hockey cards and stuff of mixed or crappy condition, is there some place that would give me cash for them or take them off my hands?

I got them as a kid and don't give a crap about hockey, wondering if I could give them away or make $5 before I throw them in the trash.

I think the only notable things are those 3D flexible McDonald's cards or those ones that say ICE or whatever.

I don't remember where but I found a site that listed some values, and then kept some that were worth $1 or more and just gave away the rest on Craigslist.

Yes, they aren't the most efficient organization and there's definitely problems there. I don't think anybody is disagreeing with that.

But what does the No vote change of that?

Look at it this way: you support a charity and they do a meh job with the donations, they then ask for more. Do you give them more even though they're obviously meh just because you still get more done or do you say, "do better with what you got first." If you do something well, upping the price is an easier sell.

Tabris

Look at it this way: you support a charity and they do a meh job with the donations, they then ask for more. Do you give them more even though they're obviously meh just because you still get more done or do you say, "do better with what you got first." If you do something well, upping the price is an easier sell.

But that's a vote on principle, even though your vote has no impact on changing the situation.

It's the quintessential cut off your nose to spite your face.

A no vote means you just increased your road and transit congestion, and translink stays the same. Your principle vote has had no impact on the status of that organization.

Cheerilee

Gordon Campbell said during the election campaign that HST was not up for debate, because it was not on the table.

One day after the election (actually, it was two days, because the first day was hangover day), he said "Now let's get to work, first order of business, how do we implement our secret agenda of ramming HST down the throats of these ignorant sheep?"

All of these assholes can keep their sticky fingers out of my wallet.

Translink only has themselves to blame for this mess. Who in their right mind would give Translink more money to keep running things the way they are? They spent SIX MILLION DOLLARS campaigning for the yes vote. You think anyone will ever trust them again?

There's so much they could have and should have done before this referendum. Like, I don't know, replacing senior management or coming up with a new governance model? Not continuing to pay the old CEO when you've already hired and are paying an interim CEO while also expending resources headhunting a new CEO? Promising to review compensation at executive levels? Honestly, I have no sympathy at this point and I'm glad it failed.

But that's a vote on principle, even though your vote has no impact on changing the situation.

It's the quintessential cut off your nose to spite your face.

A no vote means you just increased your road and transit congestion, and translink stays the same. Your principle vote has had no impact on the status of that organization.

It's uncertain if the taxes would have alleviated road and transit congestion. It's mismanagement from how many buses on a route to maintenance and repair. Manage your services well and it's easier to sell. Giving more money just means more services are mismanaged. We can say they're wrong, cutting off their noses, etc. but it doesn't matter. Translink has a bad reputation of poor to mediocre service, improve that and people will most likely vote yes.

Tabris

Gordon Campbell said during the election campaign that HST was not up for debate, because it was not on the table.

One day after the election (actually, it was two days, because the first day was hangover day), he said "Now let's get to work, first order of business, how do we implement our secret agenda of ramming HST down the throats of these ignorant sheep?"

All of these assholes can keep their sticky fingers out of my wallet.

Once again, you throw away the superior tax because you felt betrayed emotionally.

You once again, cut off your nose in spite of your face.

Emotional voting is the issue here.

Once again, you throw away the superior tax because you felt betrayed emotionally.

You once again, cut off your nose in spite of your face.

Emotional voting is the issue here.

The problem with your argument is nothing changes then. Services will still be mismanaged. The only difference is they'll have more money. It's throwing money away and hoping things will get better.

Tabris

It's uncertain if the taxes would have alleviated road and transit congestion. It's mismanagement from how many buses on a route to maintenance and repair. Manage your services well and it's easier to sell. Giving more money just means more services are mismanaged. We can say they're wrong, cutting off their noses, etc. but it doesn't matter. Translink has a bad reputation of poor to mediocre service, improve that and people will most likely vote yes.

It 100% would have alleviated road and transit congestion, the only question is the degree to it and the efficiency ratio between income to expenditure.

But once again, TransLink is not changing with this vote. This has had 0 impact on TransLink except to remove budget that was earmarked for projects and transit upgrades that affect you.

So TransLink will continue to be the same, and you will save your .005% tax. That's all your vote had an impact on.

Honestly, it was a waste of your time unless you really wanted to save that $30 a month or whatever amount matches your monthly spending to tax increase ratio.

Tabris

The problem with your argument is nothing changes then. Services will still be mismanaged. The only difference is they'll have more money. It's throwing money away and hoping things will get better.

Correct, nothing changes via these No votes. Yes votes means they have more money to spend, whether efficient or not, it does have an impact.

The only action that can change these things No vote is pushing is having your politicians change it, and that's not going to happen. The politicians here have fooled you into putting your blame on an organization they created to scape goat away from having to manage this infrastructure themselves.

It 100% would have alleviated road and transit congestion, the only question is the degree to it and the efficiency ratio between income to expenditure.

But once again, TransLink is not changing with this vote. This has had 0 impact on TransLink except to remove budget that was earmarked for projects and transit upgrades that affect you.

So TransLink will continue to be the same, and you will save your .005% tax. That's all your vote had an impact on.

Honestly, it was a waste of your time unless you really wanted to save that $30 a month or whatever amount matches your monthly spending to tax increase ratio.

Correct, nothing changes via these votes.

The only action that can change these things is having your politicians change it, and that's not going to happen. The politicians here have fooled you into putting your blame on an organization they created to scape goat away from having to manage this infrastructure themselves.

Just as I'm uncertain of change with the Yes you are uncertain of change with the No. Who knows maybe they change their managing habits? Strong maybe but maybe nonetheless.

100% sounds charged. The degree of change I can agree to. That degree is up for discussion, though.

You believe it's a waste to not vote Yes but others would disagree it's a waste of money. Which, according to their current environment, it is.

Throwing money at an issue doesn't solve the core problem.

Tabris

Just as I'm uncertain of change with the Yes you are uncertain of change with the No. Who knows maybe they change their managing habits? Strong maybe but maybe nonetheless.

100% sounds charged. The degree of change I can agree to. That degree is up for discussion, though.

You believe it's a waste to not vote Yes but others would disagree it's a waste of money. Which, according to their current environment, it is.

Throwing money at an issue doesn't solve the core problem.

But this wasn't a vote on the core problem. This has no impact on the core problem of inefficiency within TransLink.

The only people that can impact their managing habits is provincial politicians.

You are basically using this vote as a protest against TransLink, except it's not reaching your audience because the audience you need to reach (politicians) have created a system where they are getting off scot free. This "vote protest" is as effective as the Wall Street 99% campaign was (so not effective).

But this wasn't a vote on the core problem. This has no impact on the core problem of inefficiency within TransLink.

The only people that can impact their managing habits is provincial politicians.

You are basically using this vote as a protest against TransLink, except it's not reaching your audience because the audience you need to reach (politicians) have created a system where they are getting off scot free. This "vote protest" is as effective as the Wall Street 99% campaign was (so not effective).

The vote doesn't have to literally be about the core issues. The voting response was about poor management (which is why Translink even put the awful ads about how great they are all over the buses and stations) and that's something to take from this: poor management will yield a sour response.

Their managing habits range from maintenance, bus frequency, delays, etc. Politicians don't manage those. You've said you don't take transit so chances are you don't experience the issues at the ground level.

Top Bottom