• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

This is as close to a vote of no confidence as it gets. It might not fix the systemic issues with Translink now but any savvy politician should see this as a huge opportunity to connect with the voter base come election time. Then again, this is Vancouver so it's probably more likely nothing will change.

Tabris

Think about this logically:

To overhaul TransLink will require the BC government to get more involved, thus increasing their accountability on this. What politician would want to do that when they literally face no political repercussions by diverting the blame back on TransLink? Think about it from their perspective, why would they want to bother with TransLink when it's a perfect scape goat?

There is no ability to do a no confidence vote on TransLink. It's not a representative political body. The politicians in this Province have fooled you. If you wanted actual change to that organization, then you would have to start a grass root campaign vs the BC government re: TransLink and then push it enough to make it a serious platform requirement in the next election. Any action against TransLink directly has 0 impact. You can't vote them out.

Your no vote had 0 impact vs TransLink. You just hurt the GVA's transit infrastructure goals to match with it's growth. You cut off your nose in spite of your face.

Think about this logically:

To overhaul TransLink will require the BC government to get more involved, thus increasing their accountability on this. What politician would want to do that when they literally face no political repercussions by diverting the blame back on TransLink? Think about it from their perspective, why would they want to bother with TransLink when it's a perfect scape goat?

There is no ability to do a no confidence vote on TransLink. It's not a representative political body. The politicians in this Province have fooled you. If you wanted actual change to that organization, then you would have to start a grass root campaign vs the BC government re: TransLink and then push it enough to make it a serious platform requirement in the next election. Any action against TransLink directly has 0 impact. You can't vote them out.

Your no vote had 0 impact vs TransLink. You just hurt the GVA's transit infrastructure goals to match with it's growth. You cut off your nose in spite of your face.

It's not about voting them out. Eventually Translink and those in charge will have to do something. That's the thought process behind voting No. A lot of people, I know it's weird, believe throwing money away isn't a good idea. More money doesn't mean better service, it just means more money to mismanage. That's the problem and this is the people's way of demonstrating they don't want their money mismanaged. Translink can either continue on as usual or adapt. Call it cutting off the nose if you want, Translink still is doing more wrong than the people saying No.

Tabris

It's not about voting them out. Eventually Translink and those in charge will have to do something. That's the thought process behind voting No. A lot of people, I know it's weird, believe throwing money away isn't a good idea. More money doesn't mean better service, it just means more money to mismanage. That's the problem and this is the people's way of demonstrating they don't want their money mismanaged. Translink can either continue on as usual or adapt. Call it cutting off the nose if you want, Translink still is doing more wrong than the people saying No.

Why @ bolded. Why does a politician need to do something? They can just put the blame back on the voters voting No.

No one is saying that we're voting them out. Stop repeating it.

The hope is that this incites change. If it doesn't and the only choices are between having transit improvements be held hostage versus no change forever then this city is even more screwed than I thought.

Tabris

This issue isn't going to be forgotten a week from now. It's called pressure.

What pressure? Pressure on who? If it's pressure on TransLink, they can divert that back to the No vote. If it's pressure on politicians, they can divert that back to both TransLink and the No vote.

Your symbolic vote is moon pies and penny whistles. It has no impact except increasing road and transit congestion by starving Translink of extra funding. It won't change the efficiency of Translink.

The hope is that this incites change. If it doesn't and the only choices are between having transit improvements be held hostage versus no change forever then this city is even more screwed than I thought.

This was the wrong avenue for hoping for that change. Translink Reform / Public Accountability can only be done at the provincial level, and can only be done if there's a political appetite. You focusing this on a non-political organization and giving politicians a scape goat to escape out of having that as a platform item means there will be no change. Do you know how expensive both financially and politically Translink reform would be? No politician would want to take that on.

Also Translink inefficiency isn't that bad compared to a lot of other metropolitan cities. A lot of transit systems out there are more inefficient and cost more.

What pressure? Pressure on who? If it's pressure on TransLink, they can divert that back to the No vote. If it's pressure on politicians, they can divert that back to both TransLink and the No vote.

Your symbolic vote is moon pies and penny whistles. It has no impact except increasing road and transit congestion by starving Translink of extra funding. It won't change the efficiency of Translink.

Does this theoretical blame train exist somewhere? Voting No just tells Translink and the politicians they get no money. Adapt or continue on as usual and get the same criticism.

Do you usually pay more money into something that's being mismanaged? Or is this a it's evil but necessary type thing? They're not put in a chair with a light in their face but there's more eyes watching now.

Tabris

Or is this a it's evil but necessary type thing? They're not put in a chair with a light in their face but there's more eyes watching now.

Right now it is. Imagine you were an American. Both the Democrats and Republicans are garbage. You like this independent guy, but the reality is any vote to them is a waste in the current system and it would take a revolution to change it, so better to vote for the lesser of 2 evils. You have to deal with translink, your vote doesn't change that, they need the money - so the necessary evil thing would be to vote Yes.

Also it's not, this vote has created an avenue for politicians to shine the light away from their face. It has given them an excuse for even further mis-management. See the above edit.

Right now it is. Imagine you were an American. Both the Democrats and Republicans are garbage. You like this independent guy, but the reality is any vote to them is a waste in the current system and it would take a revolution to change it, so better to vote for the lesser of 2 evils.

Also it's not, this vote has created an avenue for politicians to shine the light away from their face. It has given them an excuse for even further mis-management. See the above edit.

You vote for the lesser of two evils between republicans and democrats. The lesser of two evils was chosen here.

It's not about faces but constant criticism that will lead to change. Enabling does nothing. This is why people voted No. Their logic is reasonable. Just like how your logic is reasonable. The problem is people don't agree with you and would prefer accountability. That says a lot.

You're advocating empty promises and that's why people don't agree with you.

Tabris

You vote for the lesser of two evils between republicans and democrats. The lesser of two evils was chosen here.

It's not about faces but constant criticism that will lead to change. Enabling does nothing. This is why people voted No. Their logic is reasonable. Just like how your logic is reasonable. The problem is people don't agree with you and would prefer accountability. That says a lot.

Their logic is not reasonable because constant criticism does not elicit change. They are using the wrong avenue and just hurting themselves in the end by their principle votes.

Change is not coming from this vote (except the negative change of more road and transit congestion with the disparity between income and costs).

Change would have to be on a BC provincial level as already discussed, and this vote has made it even hard to elicit change because it can be used as a scape goat.

"Christy, why does it take me 2hrs to get to work downtown?" "Well you voted no."

Their logic is not reasonable because constant criticism does not elicit change. They are using the wrong avenue and just hurting themselves in the end by their principle votes.

Change is not coming from this vote (except the negative change of more road and transit congestion with the disparity between income and costs).

Change would have to be on a BC provincial level as already discussed, and this vote has made it even hard to elicit change because it can be used as a scape goat.

"Christy, why does it take me 2hrs to get to work downtown?" "Well you voted no."

Then you believe change can't come from criticism.

Christy can deflect blame that does not change the fact there will be much criticism about Translink. The populous has already voted No so we can safely agree any deflecting will be met with a giant, "Really?"

The problem with your change is we would still be inconvenienced by a poorly managed system. To Translink it was about more services but to the voters it was about better quality services. You can say it's all provincial level, and that's true, but the care meter doesn't exist with people right now. Make them care with either destroying your services and making them worse or make them better. It's in their hands, they've been called out for their bad management and it's their choice now. Adapt or continue on as usual. The people will endure low quality service--they already have for so long, it's not like the people will be ruined for it.

sikkinixx

So if it was yes, they get the money, it still takes most people outside of Vancouver itself a long time to get anywhere because more buses doesn't suddenly make transit amazing, especially in the suburbs. So people get annoyed and bitch to Christy.

"Well we left it up to the mayors to decide how the money should be spent. Take it up with them. "

She's not an idiot. Either way she wins on this, just like with the teacher strike. And people won't vote them out because the NDP are incompetent idiots who cant even score into an open tucking HST net.

I was driving around randomly today cause all my friends were busy and I had nothing else to do, and I came across the FDVED (or something) music festival at Holland Park in Surrey. I assumed it was free, cause everything that goes on at Holland as far as I see is usually free, but a day pass was 95 bucks!

I was like, screw that shit, and walked away... at what point some dude screamed for all the girls to take their shirts off or something at the microphone.

Goddammit.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I was driving around randomly today cause all my friends were busy and I had nothing else to do, and I came across the FDVED (or something) music festival at Holland Park in Surrey. I assumed it was free, cause everything that goes on at Holland as far as I see is usually free, but a day pass was 95 bucks!

I was like, screw that shit, and walked away... at what point some dude screamed for all the girls to take their shirts off or something at the microphone.

Goddammit.
LOL

Gotta pay for them titties.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Goddammit.

sounds about par for the course

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

Goddammit.

Also just throwing some suggestions out there. If you ever find yourself with a day free and you have your car, go do some nice hiking around the region ! Today I went to Joffre Lake and it's a perfect day-long thing to do with a car ! You get some nice driving, some nice working out and great rewarding breathtaking views at the end of the trip. Check out these suggestions by Vancitybuzz :)

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/07/beautiful-summer-lakes-near-vancouver-bc/

Man, the air and sky is so screwy today. Reddish sun in the morning, bizarre eerie yellow light filtering in the morning, been a goddamn haze all day. From downtown Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam, and Surrey are all hazy and smell of smoke and ash.

It's disgusting, and the air feels wrong, more suffocating.

But on the plus, the dinosaur exhibit at Science World is so fucking cool.

Smiley90

Man, the air and sky is so screwy today. Reddish sun in the morning, bizarre eerie yellow light filtering in the morning, been a goddamn haze all day. From downtown Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam, and Surrey are all hazy and smell of smoke and ash.

It's disgusting, and the air feels wrong, more suffocating.

But on the plus, the dinosaur exhibit at Science World is so fucking cool.

That's because Burnaby Mountain/SFU was on fire all morning :lol and a lot of BC... hence all the smoke smell and haze.

Cheerilee

Home cooling tip #2

Windows are great at stopping convection (air drafts), but they suck at stopping radiation (sunbeams). Closing your curtains/blinds helps, but then your curtains/blinds get hot and start releasing heat into your inside air, and your windows unfortunately do their job of preventing the nearby heat from leaving.

Put something outside of your windows on the hot side of the house (east in the morning, west in the evening). It'll soak up the sun, make some shade, and generate some hot air, but then your windows will do their proper job of telling that outside hot air to get lost.

Smiley90

Home cooling tip #2

Windows are great at stopping convection (air drafts), but they suck at stopping radiation (sunbeams). Closing your curtains/blinds helps, but then your curtains/blinds get hot and start releasing heat into your inside air, and your windows unfortunately do their job of preventing the nearby heat from leaving.

Put something outside of your windows on the hot side of the house (east in the morning, west in the evening). It'll soak up the sun, make some shade, and generate some hot air, but then your windows will do their proper job of telling that outside hot air to get lost.

Home cooling tip #3

buy a portable AC and laugh at everyone else

If you turn on your stove, dryer, heater, etc to warm your home to an unbearable amount and make it bearable you can then turn it off and find the current heat cool.

Just an idea.

Someone should try it.

Harusame

What a subpar idea.

Following that idea, yesterday I went to the Richmond Extreme Airpark (the one with all the trampolines) for about two hours and since we played around so much and sweated, the heat for the rest of the day was quite tolerable. Rather than complaining of the heat, we just complained about how sore we were after.

Other cooling tips I've heard:

Sleep with a slightly damp blanket.

Don't sleep au naturel: a layer of thin cotton between you and the bed is actually better.

Take advantage of your home's insulation for keeping cooler air in: crank the windows open during night, close them during the day. If it's hot, have a fan pointing outside to get the hot air out (the higher the better).

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
My building has central AC. I sleep like a baby every night :D

But I still think it's pretty good to do some of those shorter hikes. I went to Joffre lakes on saturday and it's mostly in the shade. Not bad as long as you have enough water. There is kind of a water re-filling station along the way too. You see a hose that's most likely connected to the downstream river and people fill their water bottle with that water.

srst

Following that idea, yesterday I went to the Richmond Extreme Airpark (the one with all the trampolines) for about two hours and since we played around so much and sweated, the heat for the rest of the day was quite tolerable. Rather than complaining of the heat, we just complained about how sore we were after.

I can't imaging doing two hours there. I was dead within 10 minutes because how out of shape I am. lol

Harusame

I can't imaging doing two hours there. I was dead within 10 minutes because how out of shape I am. lol

I was almost dead after 30 minutes, but after a much needed breather and water, I somehow last for the next hour and a half. I have to say though, the foam pit is one the most difficult things to get out of. Not only that, while trying to get out of the pit, my socks kept slipping off and I lost one inside the pit. I tried to find it but I was not able to recover it. I had to pay $4.50 for another pair...

Dazzler

guys if everyone coordinated turning on their vacuum cleaner at the same time for one minute tonight, I reckon we could suck up this smoke

I dunno, I kind of like the smell... it's campfire-esque!

That said I've only been opening my windows/going outside for very brief stints. I imagine it gets gross pretty quick...

Honestly the thing that's driving me crazy atm is the humidity

Coming up the weekend of July 25th with my wife. Looks like we'll be there for China's night during the Celebration of Light. Really enjoyed the last one we were there for a couple years ago.

Coming up the weekend of July 25th with my wife. Looks like we'll be there for China's night during the Celebration of Light. Really enjoyed the last one we were there for a couple years ago.

I remember the last time I went to the Celebration of Life. My family parked up at a turn off on Grouse (Or was it Seymour? Probably Seymour) and saw it off on a distance. Certainly beats the crowd downtown.

I remember the last time I went to the Celebration of Life. My family parked up at a turn off on Grouse (Or was it Seymour? Probably Seymour) and saw it off on a distance. Certainly beats the crowd downtown.

We just sat on a hillside near the firework launch area right before it started and had a great unobstructed view.

Dazzler

The crowd downtown for the Celebration of Light is a total gong show

Pro tip: Watch it from Dog Beach at Kits Point and you'll have a much better time

Top Bottom